• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

That's because it's too big for you. I know all you consumers will buy the new Nexus 5 for sure. Let's be honest. Other than an expensive price, you're all going to succumb.
it is a sequel to the greatest android phone that ever existed (even with the critical flaw).

soooo yes plssssssssss

Reckoner

I didn't buy the nexus 6! In fact I was so disappointed last year with all android phones that I ended up taking an iphone 6 instead :/

Don't test me goog. But I will say if the battery is great and everything else is meh I'd probably still get it.

This year doesn't look any better, tbh. The Nexuses aren't even here, but I can tell that both of them aren't for me. I don't want a fingerprint sensor on the back and an ugly phone. Samsung probably released the most interesting Androids recently, but I don't trust them with TouchWiz and updates.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Samsung probably released the most interesting Androids recently, but I don't trust them with TouchWiz and updates.

Yep, I think Motorola got this. Close to stock, good price, and camera seems legit. I'm dumping my s6, but I'm waiting on Apple before I make my final decision.

Samsung botched the s6 with that battery. They didn't go far enough in scaling back touch wiz. Maybe s7 will be better.

Nexus 5-2 is all I need. I like the look. Don't really care where the fingerprint is for a phone I'll probably keep for a year or so lol.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Samsung botched the s6 with that battery. They didn't go far enough in scaling back touch wiz. Maybe s7 will be better.

Nah, that's not the biggest problem. The thing charges ridiculously quick and, when the lollipop memory leak hasn't kicked in, it actually holds a charge pretty good. But the combination of lollipop and touchwiz make a mockery of the hardware.

Once the PPI is above pixels visible to the human eye, higher phone screen resolution is a specs race and little more. The 1440p phone screens are already 500+ PPI. Also phone GPU's aren't keeping up with the increasing pixel count at all so you're actually buying a lower game framerate if you keep pumping up the resolution.

i play real games.

not phone games.

If Sony is able to keep that same great battery life with a 4k screen, then bring them on, I say. If only manufacturers would stop stupidly chasing thinness.

I wish we could change DPI settings in Android
Would be nice. Only custom ROMs and xposed allow you to do so, unfortunately.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The watches definitely need a resolution bump. They're scathingly hideous, especially when looking from your phone to watch.

Reckoner

Yep, I think Motorola got this. Close to stock, good price, and camera seems legit. I'm dumping my s6, but I'm waiting on Apple before I make my final decision.

The new Moto X is definitely enticing, but it should already have a fingerprint sensor, and I fear for the future of Moto's after the recent shake up.

Nikodemos

It used to be like that but they have been improving. Unless you are into gaming or custom roms i think mdtk are a good choice too.Especially for midrange priced devices.
But i understand some people won't trust them considering their past.

I would personally go for mdtk over SD615 for example

Yeah, it seems like they are actually trying to put an effort with the Helio series.

And I too would go MdTk if I were to choose between the X10 and the SD615/618.

EDIT: That's what Sony did with the M5.

I ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge the other day. I have to say that the curved screen, with a CRT filter makes it look great for emulated snes games. DO you guys have any recommendations for controllers to use on Android?

terrier

Final Fantasy VI is not a real game, good to know. I'll make sure to pass the word on to Square-Enix.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is not a real game, good to know. I'll make sure to pass the word on to Rockstar too.

Of course those are real games but let's be serious, most games are better played on dedicated hardware with gamepad or mouse & KB, plus is kinda nonsense that reaching 1080p is difficult even on home consoles and then smartphone games render at 2k... is a bit nonsense.

For Hasney and co., the new Lenovo phablet has a 6.8 inch screen. You guys should get on that!!!

sC6DkFM.jpg

One day it will be socially acceptable to use a big phone. Even when you're not pretty.

Hasney

For Hasney and co., the new Lenovo phablet has a 6.8 inch screen. You guys should get on that!!!

sC6DkFM.jpg

One day it will be socially acceptable to use a big phone. Even when you're not pretty.

Are you saying it's already socially acceptable for me? Sweet!

I would actually consider something slightly bigger if it would fit in all my pockets. I've got one pair of jeans where my HDX7 fits. I've seen people taking calls on something 7" on trains before, don't know if they just had an app on a tablet or there is a giant phone out there.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Based Anandtech reviews the Zen Pad S Baller Edition

As far as performance goes, the ZenPad S is right in line with all the other Intel devices that I've looked at. The 4GB of RAM means that you will rarely ever see a process be evicted from memory, but with Android having no support for split screen application views it almost feels like the ZenPad S has some untapped potential. The CPU performance is just as good if not better than anything else you'll find at this price, and the 533MHz G6430 GPU ends up being slightly faster than the implementation in Apple's A7 SoC.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Like I said, it's based. There is no other Android tablet as far as I'm concerned. It's the first tablet that actually works properly. It doesn't reload everything over and over and over. You can actually use it.

If you own a Nexus 9, get rid of it for the Zenpad.

Couple of my negatives: Battery is subpar. The display has this weird smoothing effect on text. I don't like it. WiFi signal is below average.

N6 is officially sold by Verizon, so you're golden.

Just make sure you already have a nano sim.from Verizon, or cut your current one to a nano size! Otherwise they won't provision one without you buying the N6 directly from them (more expensive)

Untrue. When I bought my N6 off of eBay, I went to the local VZW store, and just bought a nano sim for $10.

Vanillalite

Does the new Moto X even have a US release date? Thought it would be out by now.

It's another reason why Moto fucked up. They announced shit in July to release in Sept.

Device is still good for the price, but the Mobile game moves fast. Each month that passed makes it less of a great deal.

Anth1888

Moto has no fucking clue what they are doing anymore.

They got like 10 fucking phones or some shit just throwing it all out there.

Are we to blame Lenovo? I mean Moto had it easy and simple with the progression of low to high range with the E, G and X now they're all over the place like HTC and Sony.

Keep it fucking simple please.

Anyone else use the Starbucks app?

About a year ago, it was terrible, then they did a major update and it was great.

Now they did another major update and it sucks again. Mine keeps freezing and the balance doesn't refresh properly.

Vanillalite

Anyone else use the Starbucks app?

About a year ago, it was terrible, then they did a major update and it was great.

Now they did another major update and it sucks again. Mine keeps freezing and the balance doesn't refresh properly.

I use it, but only on occasion. Works fine for me, but again I'm not a power user.

Are we to blame Lenovo? I mean Moto had it easy and simple with the progression of low to high range with the E, G and X now they're all over the place like HTC and Sony.

Keep it fucking simple please.

They likely had that stuff in the pipeline before or during the acquisition.

Top Bottom