• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Nikodemos

hearing the xperia z5 is all metal, fuck yes. hopefully this means it is super light and strong. its shaping up to be my next phone, dont fuck this up sony
Hopefully no stupid glass back. I hate it on the S6 and Edge. So damn slippery. Feels yucky to the touch, too.

Sept 3 or 4.

Moto 360 sport:

CNvTSdXVAAAS8NL.png

Moto 'bounce' (sigh)

CNvGrrpVEAAg0j7.png

Well hello there new droid international version

meh I can't take that phone seriously with its hugeness and lack of futureproofness with no fingerprint/type c.
Still better than nearly every phone this year. And it's not even 'huge' to me.
What exactly are you guys waiting on? The thing is leaked. I mean, I guess price and maybe, maybe battery. But you kind of have an idea of what you're going to do already. We know enough.
Battery life and if it has a good camera.
Sept 3 or 4.
Moto 'bounce' (sigh)

CNvGrrpVEAAg0j7.png
Well, I was hoping to get the Style but Moto has another far superior version coming out apparently :/

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Source: Source: New "Nexus 5" By LG Will Feature Snapdragon 808, 5.2" 1080p Display, 3GB RAM, 2700mAh Battery, USB-C, And More

We've received information from a reliable source detailing basic specifications for the upcoming 5.2" Nexus phone being produced by LG. First things first: we don't even know if Nexus 5 is the name. And because it's probably the most-wanted piece of information: we don't know excactly how much it will cost, other than to say it's likely it will be at a sub-flagship level. Does that mean $300? $400? $500? We really don't know, so your guess is as good as ours here.

Getting back to the major specifications, Qualcomm's Snapdragon 808 will be powering the whole show, and that's no real surprise - the 808 has been consistently rumored to feature in one of the two alleged upcoming Nexus phones. The 808 packs most of Qualcomm's cutting-edge LTE portfolio and other "flagship-level" features, but has only two high-powered A57 processing cores instead of the four found on the 810, in addition to four low-power A53 cores. The Adreno 418 GPU in the chip is respectable - its rated performance is roughly on par with last year's Adreno 330, featured in Snapdragon 805 devices like the Nexus 6 and Galaxy Note 4. The 808 will be paired with 3GB of RAM on this upcoming Nexus phone.

Moving to the display, we're being told it's a 5.2" full HD (1080p) panel - an interesting choice, indeed. The lower display resolution should cut back power consumption and keep the system running more smoothly and quickly generally, perhaps suggesting that Google is taking battery life at least somewhat seriously on this device. Modern 1080p LCD screens (then again, we don't know it's an LCD) also tend to look quite good when properly tuned, and given that LG is the manufacturer of the phone, it's possible they're also building some kind of trick IPS LCD display for it - but that's speculation. 5.2" and 1080p is all we know for now.

Speaking of power, the LG-made Nexus will indeed have a type C USB port, but we don't know if it's just a reworked USB2.0 configuration or an actual USB3 device. The battery is a 2700mAh pack, which may sound small today, but remember - the 5" Nexus 5 shipped with a tiny 2300mAh battery back in 2013, and even the Galaxy S6's battery isn't all that large, at 2550mAh. 2700mAh on a 5.2" device sounds solidly average, though that's likely to disappoint some Nexus fans if it doesn't come with a promise of greatly-improved power consumption characteristics.

The rear camera will use a 12.3MP sensor, and a 5MP sensor will be out front - unfortunately that's all the detail we can get on the cameras at this point.

On the list of slightly more mundane aspects we have storage - the phone will come in 16 and 32GB models only. Given that the price will be "sub-flagship," those tiers are at least understandable, if not necessarily ideal. The phone will also come in three colors: black, white, and blue.

As for when we can expect the phone? The end of September is probably a good bet, and that timeframe has been corroborated in the last week or so elsewhere, so we feel pretty good about that general area. But as with any Google product, delays could happen, so don't get your heart set on it - we'll only really know when the invitations to the launch finally go out.

That's all we've got

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...splay-3gb-ram-2700mah-battery-usb-c-and-more/

hitgirl

So what's the best/cheapest Verizon (even better if it doesnt have Verizon logos / bloat) Android phone I can pickup on Swappa right now? Nexus 5-2 seems like the logical phone I want this year, but I want a phone now so I have a few months to get use to Android and migrate everything over to google.

or should I just pickup a Moto G while I'm at best buy today? I dont really like used phones..

So what's the best/cheapest Verizon (even better if it doesnt have Verizon logos / bloat) Android phone I can pickup on Swappa right now? Nexus 5-2 seems like the logical phone I want this year, but I want a phone now so I have a few months to get use to Android and migrate everything over to google.

or should I just pickup a Moto G while I'm at best buy today? I dont really like used phones..
I know you said you don't like used phones, but eBay has a manufacturer refurbished Moto X 2nd Gen for $225. The listing says it has no signs of use so I imagine the condition is really good. Compared to the Moto G at I assume $150 it'd be a much better phone for the cost.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-XT...tphone-/400930852360?var=&hash=item5d59574e08

jwk94

Moto x 2014 or the moto g 3rd generation. Whichever you can find for cheaper. Wait definitely go with the moto g. You're getting 16gb storage plus expandable storage for $220, which is cheaper than that eBay link.

hitgirl

Moto x 2014 or the moto g 3rd generation. Whichever you can find for cheaper. Wait definitely go with the moto g. You're getting 16gb storage plus expandable storage for $220, which is cheaper than that eBay link.

Just a quick question before I pull the trigger. Can I get root access on the Verizon Moto X or Moto G?

edit - ah the moto G from motorolla not gonna work with Verizon it seems

EmiPrime

2700mah is a little disappointing. Still going to be way better battery life than more expensive phones like the iPhone 6 and the Galaxy S6 at least.

ArchAngel

2700mAh + 1080p + Andoid M will totally be fine from what I get from the Preview. Why do people always expect the cheaper phone to have monster battery?
Tried M on N6 and saw it on Nexus 5 and it was really really great. Well, if that is what the final will be and Google doesn't bug it ^^

HawkeyeIC

The bigger news than Nexus 5 battery life is that new Moto Phone. I assume it won't make it's way to the US though (other than maybe as a Verizon exclusive Droid Turbo)?

2700 is perfectly fine for a 1080p display. I was worried nexus 5 will be that with qhd. Could be better but dodged a bullet overall.

Now I just need pricing damn it.

Lol people making excuses for a 2700 mah battery in a phone here. Stay on Nexus's nuts guys.

I remember people were on the S5 nuts for good battery and that was 2800mah for roughly the same screen size and a less robust OS in terms of standby life.

2700 is definitely passable for 1080p. And I'm the harshest battery critic there is up in this piece. If it were QHD or it was 5.5 inches then we'd be in trouble. But yeah it's disappointing because at 3000mah it would have been great instead of just above average.

I'm assuming this is further confirmation that the price will be low. I think I still prefer the feature set (fingerprint/type c) and stock/updates over the moto X play though.

I remember people were on the S5 nuts for good battery and that was 2800mah for roughly the screen size and a less robust OS in terms of standby life.

2700 is definitely passable for 1080p. And I'm the harshest battery critic there is up in this piece. If it were QHD or it was 5.5 inches then we'd be in trouble. But yeah it's disappointing because at 3000mah it would have been great instead of just above average.

I'm assuming this is further confirmation that the price will be low.

2700mah is going to get you maybe 3 hrs of sot at most if you are lucky on this device. I guarantee it.

You end up selling your One Plus Two?

Yep, sold it the same day I got it in.

2700mah is going to get you maybe 3 hrs of sot at most if you are lucky on this device. I guarantee it.

Yep, sold it the same day I got it in.

There's no way it's only 3 hours of SoT. I was pushing that much on my shitty nexus 5 on a good day. This should be 3.5 on average. 4 on a good day I assume.

You never know though. Depends a lot on optimization. This IS android. Considering it's not 3000mah I'm expecting a good price though. If it's 400 for base or some shit then they be tripping I think. I really wish the X play had a fingerprint scanner. Moto wut r u doin.

There's no way it's only 3 hours of SoT. I was pushing that much on my shitty nexus 5 on a good day. This should be 3.5 on average. 4 on a good day I assume.

You never know though. Depends a lot on optimization. This IS android. Considering it's not 3000mah I'm expecting a good price though. If it's 400 for base or some shit then they be tripping I think. I really wish the X play had a fingerprint scanner. Moto wut r u doin.

This phone needs to be $300 or less. The battery will be horrible. It's a Nexus so you get horrible battery and camera. Reviews will call battery life disappointing. I bet battery life will be worse than the s6.

Top Bottom