• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

S6 is a beast

First-Galaxy-S6-edge-benchmarks.jpg

Dumb android question: could I buy an S6 and either install a google now widget or launcher on it? I installed the google now Launcher on my 2013 nexus 7 but it makes everything a but sluggish.

My fiance wants a new Android phone, and loves her Nexus 5 for the easy Google Now access.

Dumb android question: could I buy an S6 and either install a google now widget or launcher on it? I installed the google now Launcher on my 2013 nexus 7 but it makes everything a but sluggish.

My fiance wants a new Android phone, and loves her Nexus 5 for the easy Google Now access.

Yes you can install google now launcher.

markot

Banned

markot

Banned
USB 3 is kind of useless on mobile, you dont transfer that much that often between pc and phone. And the terrible dongle you had to use wasnt very nice, always felt like it could snap, you need such a big plug its silly.

Quasar

Yep, and Google wins with consumers who are forced to use streaming services more and more.

If they use Google services I guess. I'm not sure Google wins from people using netflix rather than loading videos onto their phones.

I'm perfectly happy streaming media (copying media onto a phone is a pain in the ass - so glad I don't have to do it anymore), which I guess is why I've been fine with my 16GB N4.

NotBacon

S6 is a beast

1. Yep, new phone is more powerful than older phones.

2. It really doesn't matter. Well, I guess it does since the S5 had trouble driving the SamBloat, but my point is: any flagship from last year that is worth a damn is already butter. This is nothing short of peen measuring.

The ddr4 is slightly more exciting.

In OnePlus or Nexus we trust.

If the Note 5 magically has an SD slot, then we can trust in that too.

Sonic Cycle gonna be renamed Android OEM Cycle at this rate.

thuway

1. Yep, new phone is more powerful than older phones.

2. It really doesn't matter. Well, I guess it does since the S5 had trouble driving the SamBloat, but my point is: any flagship from last year that is worth a damn is already butter. This is nothing short of peen measuring.

The ddr4 is slightly more exciting.

At every opportunity to denounce something that isn't a Nexus 6...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The Edge is very cool. It's interesting how it isn't a function like the Note but a design and usability choice. They should have scrapped the regular Galaxy and just made the Edge. It's really great. No one should buy the normal version. If you can't afford the extra money, wait until you can.

I wish my N6 had the Edge. I tried out the Note Edge finally and man, it feels wonderful. What sucked, though, is that it is hacked in. The edge cut into Chrome, for example. That sucks big time.

NotBacon

I take back what I said about that edge being useless. It's looks poor as an edge for....... Edge™ purposes, but after watching the MKBHD vid it looks to provide very nice edge swiping, and it looks slick no doubt. No way someone should buy the normal S6.

At every opportunity to denounce something that isn't a Nexus 6...

Nice attempt at a jab.
News flash: I don't give a shit.
2nd news flash: These phones coming out will be compared to the best phones from last year. Deal with it.

That said, nowhere in that post do I mention Motorola or Nexus 6. Phones also worth a damn from last year: Note 4, G3, OPO, Z3c.

Hope you've realized your foolishness. Crawl back under your bridge.

grmlin

All the people going crazy over benchmarks... I think phones are fast enough for almost everything for at least 2 years now. It's the software that sucks most of the time.

Will be interesting to see, if custom roms will make use of the edges or completely ignore it.

Hasney

All the people going crazy over benchmarks... I think phones are fast enough for almost everything for at least 2 years now. It's the software that sucks most of the time.

Will be interesting to see, if custom roms will make use of the edges or completely ignore it.

The power struggle to run Chrome is real.

Sure, Google could fix that themselves, but still.

terrier

Lol this thread. It is like apocalypse or something is coming xD

What did people expect? Really, smartphones have reached a point where improvements are small every year. Some, like htc, have some things to improve like the camera to reach a desireable level, but that's it. The only real improvement i can see is battery life, and only a few devices do it right.
Samsung only tried to go after Apple high revenue model. I doubt they will succeed but at least they offer a solid device (despite dropping nice bonus like sd and removable battery)

Other place for improvement is middle range devices. 2GB ram and better cameras. Already happening and making smarphones really capable and affordable.

On a side note, who decided that removing the gps toggle was a good idea? Now i have to go into settings to enable 'high presicion' location when using navigation software , and have to disable it again when i finish because if i use the location toggle it turns location off instead of switching to battery saving mode.
Sometimes google makes such stupid decisions.....

Groof

On a side note, who decided that removing the gps toggle was a good idea? Now i have to go into settings to enable 'high presicion' location when using navigation software , and have to disable it again when i finish because if i use the location toggle it turns location off instead of switching to battery saving mode.
This is probably a conscious decision to make most people just stick with location always on. Google needs to know everything about you at all times.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Lol this thread. It is like apocalypse or something is coming xD

What did people expect? Really, smartphones have reached a point where improvements are small every year. Some, like htc, have some things to improve like the camera to reach a desireable level, but that's it. The only real improvement i can see is battery life, and only a few devices do it right.
Samsung only tried to go after Apple high revenue model. I doubt they will succeed but at least they offer a solid device (despite dropping nice bonus like sd and removable battery)

Other place for improvement is middle range devices. 2GB ram and better cameras. Already happening and making smarphones really capable and affordable.

Search the old OTs and you'll find "it's good enough now" posts. If we were, we would be further back. Heck, that kind of mentality is what led to Qualcomm sitting on its hands. It's never good enough.

Hasney

Search the old OTs and you'll find "it's good enough now" posts. If we were, we would be further back. Heck, that kind of mentality is what led to Qualcomm sitting on its hands. It's never good enough.

Well hopefully Samsung and MediaTek have given then a swift kick in the bollocks.

S6 is a beast

In benchmark mode vs last year's hardware. The real world difference between this and the S810 is going to be almost zero and the last time Samsung used Exynos it was a disaster because the software optimisation was awful and it couldn't use the big.little concept at all.

M4 Aqua - €299, £249. Lols, just as I predicted. What a bunch of jokers. At £199 it would be a tough but achievable sell, but at £249 who would spend £100 extra over the Moto G? The pricing is just awful. Sony, again, overestimating their "brand value".

Donos

Flagship android phones reached a point where "faster" means only something if you play the newest games. I don't play games on my phone but i just want the apps and handling to be smooth. Can't complain with the M8 anymore.

Evolution of smartphones slowed down a bit the last 2 years.

Anth1888

M4 Aqua - €299, £249. Lols, just as I predicted. What a bunch of jokers. At £199 it would be a tough but achievable sell, but at £249 who would spend £100 extra over the Moto G? The pricing is just awful. Sony, again, overestimating their "brand value".

Pricing is a joke and dead on arrival. I've got a Z1 and due an upgrade in June. Would like to get a Z4 but who knows of Sony exit the smartphone business 6 months later. Its frustrating because strategy is appauling. Makers of their own downfall.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there a good upgrade from a nexus 4 that won't break the bank. Ideally I'd like a 5-5.5" screen, good battery life, and a good camera.

I have two price points (both SIM free):
- around £200 in case I have to buy it myself. Thinking Moto G, maybe Xperia M2 (wife likes hers a lot)
- price is no object (if I can persuade my work that it is time to replace my work phone). Thinking Xperia Z3 or HTC M8 (or wait for the replacements if they are coming in the next 3 months)

The Xperia M4 is a pretty attractive phone from from what I can read. Xperia Z3 design in plastic, 5" 720p screen, 2GB RAM, 2400mAh battery, fully waterproof (w/o flap on the USB port), 13 MP camera. But sadly it's not €299 attractive.

Come on, Sony. Even Microsoft stopped being delusional about their phone prices and announced their new mid-range Lumias for 139 and 189 (5/5.7", 720p, 1GB RAM, 8/13MP). That shit would've easily been 199 and 299 in the past, no joke.

At £149 it would easily be the best mid-ranger, at £199 it would be a qualified recommendation (better specs than the Moto G and waterproof vs more money), at £249 it is not even worth looking at.

Sony really, really need to get a handle on pricing. They just don't understand the concept of value, they still think that adding a Sony logo to something immediately means they can add a £100 premium.

Quoting myself yesterday:

"Sadly this is Sony we're talking about so they will try and flog it at £250 for a few months, realise that it isn't working then cut the price to £150 when the market has been saturated by Motorola, Lenovo and Huawei."

Such a predictably stupid strategy.

Mindwipe

That's what frustrates me about people saying "should have done more marketing of the Z3". The Z3 and Z3C are, by all accounts, doing okay. The problem is the mid range which is where huge amounts of inventory and resource are exercised, but they're too expensive and then don't sell for shit.

Mindwipe

Flagship android phones reached a point where "faster" means only something if you play the newest games. I don't play games on my phone but i just want the apps and handling to be smooth. Can't complain with the M8 anymore.

Evolution of smartphones slowed down a bit the last 2 years.

It's annoying because there's plenty of stuff still to do. A year and a half later Android still has no coherent fingerprint scanner strategy to take on the iPhone, still has very little in the compact screen ecosystem and still has many handsets with wretched cameras.

I hope next year will see a bit more of an explosion in development around the USB ecosystem once USB-C ships.

terrier

This is probably a conscious decision to make most people just stick with location always on. Google needs to know everything about you at all times.

But wifi/data location works fine and is enough. I do not want to have gps icon flashing all the time and sucking my battery. In makes no sense at all. Or even better, allow individual apps to acces location in different ways, Gmaps/Herempas high presicion: other apps , battery saving mode., and just remember when using them.

is there a good upgrade from a nexus 4 that won't break the bank. Ideally I'd like a 5-5.5" screen, good battery life, and a good camera.

I have two price points (both SIM free):
- around £200 in case I have to buy it myself. Thinking Moto G, maybe Xperia M2 (wife likes hers a lot)
- price is no object (if I can persuade my work that it is time to replace my work phone). Thinking Xperia Z3 or HTC M8 (or wait for the replacements if they are coming in the next 3 months)

Ascend G7?
http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_ascend_g7-6646.php

It's annoying because there's plenty of stuff still to do. A year and a half later Android still has no coherent fingerprint scanner strategy to take on the iPhone, still has very little in the compact screen ecosystem and still has many handsets with wretched cameras.
Samsung and huawei have fingerprint scanners that work as should. What is wrong? It is oem's desicion to include them or not. We could say the same about iphones, such premium price and still no waterproof for example. And cameras are good enough (not necessary excellent though) on premium android devices, and average priced smartphones have average cameras. SOme things make sense with the price you pay.

Top Bottom