• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Talon

The reason Google won't make a phone is the same reason Microsoft didn't make a PC 'til the Surface.

When you're in the OEM software business, you don't compete with partners.

The reason Google won't make a phone is the same reason Microsoft didn't make a PC 'til the Surface.

When you're in the OEM software business, you don't compete with partners.
it's always amusing that samsung can make an android phone and a tizen phone at the same time yet google can't make a phone for their own OS.

Google should stop being the whipping boy. Samsung needs you. Tizen sucks. Make a phone. But I guess that's what nexus is for, to circumvent that. Other than the nexus 6 google is the one that designs the nexus phones and decides the specs and everything right. So it's almost the same.

High end android is going the way of high end PCs. It's increasingly becoming a commodity market where the profits are sucked up by software, where none of the manufacturers have a significant stake. Except, in this case, Google was only interested in ubiquity and reach rather than margins.

Different names (Samsung, HTC, Motolenovo instead of HP, Compaq, Dell) but the same kind of victims.

It's funny how quickly markets mature nowadays. It took PC a solid 15 years to grow into what's recognizable today. With mobile, it took less than half that.

That's why Sony's failure is doubly poor, they are the only company with significant media assets and they own the most recognisable gaming platform in the world. Even just an ounce of joined up thinking and Sony could sell their phones on the back of content access and superior quality games.

They were the only Android OEM with a realistic chance of making the jump but their management is so fucking terrible and Kaz is so fucking weak that he had to bring in a strong man to fire the idiot who completely failed (Kunimasa Suzuki, ex head of SMC). The new guy seems to know where it's at but it is far too late for Sony to make any kind of impact outside of Europe, Japan and the Middle East.

Talon

it's always amusing that samsung can make an android phone and a tizen phone at the same time yet google can't make a phone for their own OS.

Google should stop being the whipping boy. Samsung needs you. Tizen sucks. Make a phone. But I guess that's what nexus is for, to circumvent that. Other than the nexus 6 google is the one that designs the nexus phones and decides the specs and everything right. So it's almost the same.
But they have a partner manufacturer the device, so it's all above board. ;)

Talon

That's why Sony's failure is doubly poor, they are the only company with significant media assets and they own the most recognisable gaming platform in the world. Even just an ounce of joined up thinking and Sony could sell their phones on the back of content access and superior quality games.

They were the only Android OEM with a realistic chance of making the jump but their management is so fucking terrible and Kaz is so fucking weak that he had to bring in a strong man to fire the idiot who completely failed (Kunimasa Suzuki, ex head of SMC). The new guy seems to know where it's at but it is far too late for Sony to make any kind of impact outside of Europe, Japan and the Middle East.
An East Asian conglomerate loath to defer to foreign subsidiaries, dithering with dozens of platitudes about coherent, centralized vision and ultimately missing out on a huge market opportunity?

That never happens!

An East Asian conglomerate loath to defer to foreign subsidiaries, dithering with dozens of platitudes about coherent, centralized vision and ultimately missing out on a huge market opportunity?

That never happens!

Indeed. Can you imagine if Uncharted, God of War, TLOU etc... were exclusive to Xperia phones and Sony launched their IPTV channels earlier with Xperia owners given a 6 months subscription similar to how Vodafone bundle Netflix for 6 months with their 4G contracts. They would at least be able to try and command a premium for their devices but today they offer nothing better (and sometimes worse) than the competition with almost zero differentiation in terms of software and their hardware advantages wasted (camera, battery) with poor optimisation or only recently taken advantage of.

They are a joke of a company in any division which requires joined up thinking. Look at TVs as well, as soon as we switched from buying non-connected boxes that people replaced every 7-10 years to smart TVs that evolved every year and require content access and solid software Sony fucked it up because they weren't able to get their divisions to play nicely with each other. It has become so bad that Sony have outsourced their software completely now with them shipping Android TV on all of their 2015 TVs. PlayStation is successful because they have exclusive content which they control and they make their own destiny, but in TVs and Smartphones they rely on outside entities for the software and ecosystem and they failed to add their own differentiator to these devices be it content or superior quality for a low price.

Avixph

If you peeps had to choose between the two, which phone would you get the Samsung Galaxy S6/ S6 Edge or the HTC One M9?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If you peeps had to choose between the two, which phone would you get the Samsung Galaxy S6/ S6 Edge or the HTC One M9?

S6 Edge...

But in reality neither... to many great phones from last year that are gonna be waaayyy cheaper. That or I'd wait to see what the price of the One Plus 2 is. Plus maybe LG or Sony or Moto will have something by then.

64GB S6 in Blue. Depending on the price of the Edge I would get the M9 over it. I am not spending $800 on a phone.

€699, €799, €899 for 32GB, 64GB and 128GB S6.
€849, €949, €1049(!) for the 32GB, 64GB and 128GB S6 Edge.

Fucking insane. All of those prices are insane. They killed MicroSD cards so they could overcharge for flash storage like Apple and prop up their margins.

Drifters

Fucking insane. All of those prices are insane. They killed MicroSD cards so they could overcharge for flash storage like Apple and prop up their margins.
Delta profit margins how do they work?

But seriously why are people so surprised by this?

Yep, and Google wins with consumers who are forced to use streaming services more and more.

guarantee you samsung is expecting their slide to continue which is why they raised the prices so much to offset the loss in profits.

Or something.

Alchemy

Do Android phones still break the OTA update process if you root and uninstall all the bloatware shit? My Bionic suffered from this, and with the S6 likely only available from a carrier I'm kinda worried about developing any interest in the device. I feel like a broken record, every time a new flagship Android device comes out I'm like "if only it was available off contract with no bloatware or skin..."

VoxPop

Sigh I'm gonna cave and give the 32GB unbranded Black S6 Edge a test run. If I can get stock Lollipop or even a non buggy CM going, I could be happy.

Saiyan-Rox

I'm lost when it comes to the OPO and its ROM ATM

They said CM12s was coming in march but so is oxygenOS so are they just gonna end up doing 2 OTA in the same month or something?

Furyous

Anyone that buys this off contract forever loses the justification to shit on Apple over smartphone prices. I'm not trying to hear shit about an Apple tax. Dat Samsung tariff is in full effect.

I never thought I'd see the day when an Android smartphone costs more than an iPhone. The i6+ doesn't cost $1049 but, but, but, Apple charges too much. Fiscally responsible people in the market for a 2015 flagship need to toss money in someone's direction to stop the Samsung fuckery.

OnePlus could be great if they'd offer their users a stock rom. I don't see what makes their skin better than HTC's, Sony's or Samsung's.

this_guy

in order of who I trust to not let me down it goes Moto > oneplus 2 > nexus

I don't include LG because they're predictable.

I don't see why Motorola would be ranked so high. They were the most hyped last year, then when the Moto X was unveiled everyone was disappointed. I'm using a 2014 Moto X and battery life is still stuck in the Galaxy S3 era with about 2-3 hours of screen time. MKBHD in his Moto X review said he got about 2.5 hours of screen too.

I'm waiting to see what the LG G4 and OnePlus Two offer.

catmincer

Did htc say what the m9 price is for comparison?

I don't see why Motorola would be ranked so high. They were the most hyped last year, then when the Moto X was unveiled everyone was disappointed. I'm using a 2014 Moto X and battery life is still stuck in the Galaxy S3 era with about 2-3 hours of screen time. MKBHD in his Moto X review said he got about 2.5 hours of screen too.

well moto is the highest because worst case scenario we get a great phone with great light skinned OS and average battery life. Best case we get that plus good battery life (and camera).

I feel like it's a reliable pick. Oneplus 2 is second only because we haven't seen oxygen OS and I found the design of the oneplus to be lacking in some ways. Nexus is like a jungle, anything goes, so it's the least.

NotBacon

Because the Moto X was so damn close. They only fucked up with the battery, and not even that bad. I recommended several people still get it, and not once have I heard a battery complaint, and my friends bitch about everything lol.

Then they released the GOAT Nexus 6.

N6 + they fuck up a lot less than the other OEMs = Moto X 2015 is gonna highly anticipated.

jey_16

Banned
I'm actually tempted by the edge since HTC dropped the ball but I just hate Touchwiz and it looks exactly the same!

Top Bottom