• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Mindwipe

The previews have been very favorable, citing solid build quality and speedy Sony Android 5 UI. :D

The 615 will fly on a 720p screen.

Im glad Sony is still trucking on producing great Android phones.

Too bad, most people will likely overlook them, just like the Z4 Tablet....nobody seems to care it have been announced... lol!

If I was interested in a big tablet the Z4 would be way ahead of the Nexus 9.

But I'm not.

I wont be too harsh on M4 pricing. At £249, it is £100 lower than Galaxy A5, its direct midrange competitor. However M4 boost a better processor Octo 615 vs Quad 410, slightly more battery life (Sony promises 2 days! Sony usually deliverths here), better usability with IP68. Lollipop out of the box and no Touchwiz! I think Sony is well aware of their position now. The only bugbear is...no US availability again!

I played with a 615 on 1080p screen via Galaxy A7 and it was performing very well though some hiccups can be felt. I think at 720p, 615 will be more optimal than a 410.

I dont think a brand like Sony needs to race to the bottom or can they afford to now. At £249 off contract with Android 5.02, that is a lot of usability for midrange phones now. I wont want to go back lower in the performance chain, i dont think super cheap smartphones with lower specs would be worth my while. Sony slapping together a low cost smartphone dont make sense to their brand and probably wont save much in terms of development either.

There is also a lot of hype with the Xiaomis and whatnot, and to be honest, if you held/use one, you will find some corners are rough. They are good value but i expect M4 to be a clearly better experience.

The problem is that for the market segment Sony are aiming at the Moto G is good enough. The device may well merit the price tag (I don't think so, €249 is probably fairer) but in the mid-range market it is all about "good enough". Motorola and the Chinese companies have understood that. Sony, to their general business failure, have not understood that the market doesn't care about high quality mid-range devices, the mass market wants cheap and the segment which does care about quality is either not large enough or they still aren't willing to spend the money which is why SMC had to be bailed out last year by the group after their impairments.

I wish it were different but the market has chosen "good enough" and Sony are bankrupting their division chasing a non-existent market and if they don't exit the mid-range and pitch their offering at the only segment which is willing to pay for quality (top range) they will either have to shutter the division or sell it to some Chinese company that needs brand recognition outside of China. That is the path they are on with these devices which is why they need to change. It isn't just me that says it, read any report written about SMC within the last year and they will all say the same thing, Sony need to exit mid-range or try and beat everyone on price like Motorola. The market segment they are chasing doesn't exist or isn't large enough to warrant their investment levels.

On a side note, who decided that removing the gps toggle was a good idea? Now i have to go into settings to enable 'high presicion' location when using navigation software , and have to disable it again when i finish because if i use the location toggle it turns location off instead of switching to battery saving mode.
Sometimes google makes such stupid decisions.....

Hmm, you‘ve just encroached on a subject which has been troubling me for quite some time. You see, to me it’s not so much of an act of stupidity, but more of a clever deliberate maneuver by Google imo to slowly wrestle user control away in selective areas via restrictive API policy changes. Google is not only closing up shop to the detriment of AOSP, but is also slowly enforcing changes via updates in very clever ways that favors them at the expense of the user.

Just look at what they’ve done over the years. First closing GPS API, then airplane mode, and now with Lollipoop, mobile data. What’s the motivation behind Google’s diligence to erode user flexibility in these selective areas? No doubt the cronies in their camp would be peddling the excuse that it’s done out of “concern” for users. But you don’t need to be genius to see through the inconsistencies. Look, if Google is serious about tackling user security, then tell me why are they continuing to obfuscate and dance around the issue of permissions control instead of urgent emphasis and immediate action? This is a critical area of security/privacy, so why dilly dally around this static, all-or-nothing model instead of a dynamic one, with granular permissions control?

I don’t buy this shit that an organization with the kind of resources at Google’s disposal has no idea of what to do, yet look how easily some OEMS have implemented such granular security without much fuss, look how long CM have provided users with Privacy Guard, look how far certain Xposed modules have gone to protect user privacy via clever fakery. But no, just look how quickly Google moved to shut the door on users with this hidden functionality on 4.3, once they got spooked by the prospect of users latching on to this possibility and the potential threat it poses to their own conflicting agenda of data mining.

To me it’s fucking obvious what their gripe is. Just look at how they approached security lock with “trusted places” in Lollipoop for example, and you will get an inkling of what their priorities are when it comes to the issue of “google vs user” welfare. Instead of offering users the practical option of trusted SSID and/or MAC, what they do is try and bait you into using location services, when they know it’s bound to be problematic with issues of accuracy and reliability, not to mention wakelocks and battery drain. So instead of a pro-user stance from Google, what we’re seeing is clever entrapment on their part. If there’s “one wisdom in a nutshell” you can count on, it’s that “user sense will only come after google sense” so to speak, not before. Any conflict of interest, is likely one of “fuck the user” until they can negotiate a “faux user angle” around the issue.

So what is Google’s problem with granular permissions when OEMS or third parties have no such qualms? You see, much like their deliberate maneuver with “trusted places” in Lollipoop, the problem is not that they don’t have the technical knowhow. Their main obstacle has always been getting around the challenge of how to spin their half-baked shit without coming across too much like another detestable “google sense” gimmickry so to speak, but to masquerade more believably from a “faux user sense” angle if you know what I mean. The difference between Google and OEMs is, unlike the former, OEMS still have a REAL product to sell you at the end of the day, and as such is keen to be seen in “pro-consumer” light. Google on the other hand, operates on a different level and is not as perturbed, as its prosperity is very much dependent on its ingenuity to exploit users as a product to sell to a different audience.

Regardless of how hard you try to give Google the benefit of the doubt, their stance re GPS, airplane mode and mobile data API really reeks of double fucking standards at the end of the day. Well, if they believe so much in their existing static model, then why not make these things permissions based? Why not let users decide if they are ok with granting permissions for GPS, airplane mode or mobile data instead of revoking access and diluting user empowerment? Afterall, this is the basis of what they’ve been peddling with their permission model all these years. So which is it then Google? Either you believe in your permissions model or you don’t! You don’t get to preach two different shit at the same time. If you believe in your permissions model, then give users the API. If you don’t, then scrap your shit and give users dynamic permissions model now. This sort of selective “We know what’s best for you” Apple-esque ploy that Google is taking, is something I’m growing wary of tbh.

Are we being played directly into Google’s hand in their attempts to gain more control and close up Android? , I’ve often wondered whether what we’ll seeing from Google nowadays is a page of the 3 “E” form book. You know, move past “Embrace” stage of open ideals adoption and pretenses, to the phase of “Extend” and “Extinguish”, whereby they’re slowly turning AOSP into abandon-ware, to this emphasis of more restrictive API changes at the expense of user empowerment, to the act of marginalizing partners of the ecosystem who’re uncooperative of any pledges of “brand approved” bloatware initiatives with threat of Play support withdrawal etc. I don’t know about others, but I for one am glad and whole heartedly welcome EU’s scrutiny of Google’s antics.

This is exactly why I’ve never been a Google choir boy, or part of that special breed you commonly see being typified by your “evangelists of the fast OTA lane”. With every update, I become more distrustful of Google. More should be made about the distinction between “Google’s Android” and “Pure Vanilla Android” tbh. There’s nothing fucking pure about “Google’s Android”. AOSP is the only true vanilla I recognize, and it’s the premise of what AOSP brings that drew me to android in the first place, not “Google’s fucking Android”.

“Google’s android” is nothing but another fork to me, no different to OEMs. And out of the two, I’m more fearful of Google tbh and the kind leverage it has in dictating the overall direction of android. OEMs being more subservient to Google is not all good news to me because they bring about the diversity which is the strength of the ecosystem. Look, I’m all for Google exercising more control if the beneficiaries are the end users at the end of the day, but what I’m seeing from Google does not fill me with confidence. I’m beginning to think this sort of control that Google is after is exactly the kind of leverage it needs to in its pursuit of its 3”E” gameplan. Fragmentation to me is an unavoidable byproduct of increased choice and freedom and it’s not that much of a user problem as their choir boys would have you to believe.

Fuck me for wasting time on this rant.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The problem is that for the market segment Sony are aiming at the Moto G is good enough. The device may well merit the price tag (I don't think so, €249 is probably fairer) but in the mid-range market it is all about "good enough". Motorola and the Chinese companies have understood that. Sony, to their general business failure, have not understood that the market doesn't care about high quality mid-range devices, the mass market wants cheap and the segment which does care about quality is either not large enough or they still aren't willing to spend the money which is why SMC had to be bailed out last year by the group after their impairments.

I wish it were different but the market has chosen "good enough" and Sony are bankrupting their division chasing a non-existent market and if they don't exit the mid-range and pitch their offering at the only segment which is willing to pay for quality (top range) they will either have to shutter the division or sell it to some Chinese company that needs brand recognition outside of China. That is the path they are on with these devices which is why they need to change. It isn't just me that says it, read any report written about SMC within the last year and they will all say the same thing, Sony need to exit mid-range or try and beat everyone on price like Motorola. The market segment they are chasing doesn't exist or isn't large enough to warrant their investment levels.

good enough is such a sad thing. I'd like a solid phone with decent specs that isn't stupidly expensive for the sake of e-willy waving. I don't need quad HD screens or hexadeci-core processors. I doubt anyone actually does. So the premium is crazy for me.

Avixph

Thanks to Phone Arena we have more info and a closer look at the Samsung Galaxy S6's and Galaxy S6 Edge's TouchWiz Themes.
One of the new features that the Galaxy S6's TouchWiz version is going to introduce is called... Themes! And while the concept of 'theming' is known perfectly well within the Android community, we have to say that Samsung's new implementation of the feature looks quite promising.

Having this in mind, it's even more exciting to know that TouchWiz Themes, as found on the upcoming Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge, are will be open to development from third parties, so pretty much everyone with the desire and knowledge to build themes will be able to do so. At the current time, there are just a few options to choose from in the Theme store, but hopefully, the catalog will grow quickly as the new smartphones hit the market and their popularity starts growing.

Default Theme
  • Homescreen
    Xydc01c.jpg

• App Drawer
    ZDY5O1Q.jpg

• Contacts
    s5aP4Sg.jpg

Pink Theme
  • Homescreen
    fxUT045.jpg

• App Drawer
    Q3ih1nT.jpg

• Contacts
    EKr8Fsg.jpg

Space Theme
  • Homescreen
    8L2Em0T.jpg

• App Drawer
    IKulBq7.jpg

• Contacts
    8Vx2q3F.jpg
So with this new feature anyone with the knowledge can create a Stock Android Theme, a Sense 7 Theme, Xperia Theme, etc..

reKon

Banned

How don't they get it?

They had to record a substantial write down on there entire mobile division and then they go ahead and do this? Why make this decision?

longdi

Banned
I be the first to admit Sony's past midrange phones were at best forgettable.

But this M4 is looking to hit a very nice price/performance ratio unmatched by rivals atm, and i think their rivals are looking intently at this segment too, especially the china/india markets. 2015 could see the trickle of sub $250-350 off contract phones, with very smooth next generation performance, into western markets.

The Moto G (2014) is a little weak overall for me if i was looking for an affordable smartphone. I would pay a bit more for that level of user acceptance with the M4 or A5.

Oh well in the end we shall see how the market reacts to the entrants of such middle models from bigger brand names. Sony just sucks at spam marketing though. Nobody but forums fanbois care about their (good) stuffs these days. :(

manfestival

I am just curious. Is there anything so demanding on the market that it requires an octacore processor? I had the htc one m7 for a while and it handled everything pretty much flawlessly. However, I am starting to see these mega specs being thrown at us and the only thing I can think to myself is that a fast dual core with 3 gigs of ram would be MORE than enough for most things on the market. I currently have a moto g and I really enjoy the phone but the RAM is really my only issue most of the time.... aside from when facebook isnt overheating my CPU.

Also, I am considering doing a phone upgrade in the near future. The m9 seems highly appealing considering my positive experience from the m7 but I have not really considered the competition. Especially for the price points... which seem to be all over nowadays

Avixph

I am just curious. Is there anything so demanding on the market that it requires an octacore processor? I had the htc one m7 for a while and it handled everything pretty much flawlessly. However, I am starting to see these mega specs being thrown at us and the only thing I can think to myself is that a fast dual core with 3 gigs of ram would be MORE than enough for most things on the market. I currently have a moto g and I really enjoy the phone but the RAM is really my only issue most of the time.... aside from when facebook isnt overheating my CPU.

Also, I am considering doing a phone upgrade in the near future. The m9 seems highly appealing considering my positive experience from the m7 but I have not really considered the competition. Especially for the price points... which seem to be all over nowadays
Google Chrome.

Oh shit, the tablet is £499, not €499. Holy fuck, Sony have learned literally nothing over the past year of struggles. Absolute idiots.

jesalr

I think I'm definitely upgrading my N5 this year, so moto, Sony, or Google need to bring a good camera and great battery life, otherwise I might actually be ready to switch to an iPhone. I've already got an iPad and a Mac, so the transition won't hurt much, but android still feels like home just now.

Not sure if this was posted since I'm at work but looks like google gave up on the whole encryption thing:

Last year, Google made headlines when it revealed that its next version of Android would require full-disk encryption on all new phones. Older versions of Android had supported optional disk encryption, but Android 5.0 Lollipop would make it a standard feature.

they tried and failed lol

But we’re starting to see new Lollipop phones from Google’s partners, and they aren’t encrypted by default, contradicting Google’s previous statements. At some point between the original announcement in September of 2014 and the publication of the Android 5.0 hardware requirements in January of 2015, Google apparently decided to relax the requirement, pushing it off to some future version of Android.
Oh shit, the tablet is £499, not €499. Holy fuck, Sony have learned literally nothing over the past year of struggles. Absolute idiots.

sony suffers from something a lot of big companies do and that is they let different arms of their company run buck fucking wild. I know they talked a big game with the whole one sony thing but yeah you can tell they're all just doing whatever they want. No direction from way up above. Or they're all dumb. That's possible.

I think I'm definitely upgrading my N5 this year, so moto, Sony, or Google need to bring a good camera and great battery life, otherwise I might actually be ready to switch to an iPhone. I've already got an iPad and a Mac, so the transition won't hurt much, but android still feels like home just now.

You could always get an s6 and add the google now launcher. The s6 might have a better camera then the 6s for all we know.

I bet the next Moto has great battery life and a camera that is a lot better than the current X but still a step below Samsung and Apple.

It's gonna be awkwardddd when google shows off Android Pay as their major thing at I/O.

Though I guess maybe next year samsung will switch to it on the sly. They're just doing it for marketing right now.

Drifters

Tonight...

HTC dulls the masses by pulling a Samsung.

Samsung intrigues the masses by pulling an Apple.

James May plays with a Sony Tablet?

Mokubba

I had it set as the tablet to upgrade my tablet Z but I wasn't expecting that price. Looks like I might have to wait for a decent deal.

Still though,that price includes the keyboard which I'm definitely getting so it's not too bad.

They have nothing to announce. Except maybe a new 360 that's actually 360 degrees. But even then, they're playing catch up with LG and now Huawei in that department.
Isn't the Moto 360 supposed to be getting more customization through Moto Maker? I'm surprised they didn't at least show that off to drum up some attention to it.

Blackhead

Redarse
get an iphone

I have one for work and I still don't want to use it.

Wish we could get to the point where the fingerprint sensor is good enough to be put anywhere in a lock area of a screen instead of using a home button.

Qualcomm’s new ultrasonic fingerprint sensor technology can scan your dirty finger

MobileSyrup said:
March 2, 2015 3:46am
Qualcomm today introduced what could be the first biometric technology that competes with Apple’s Touch ID in both security and ease of use.

Called Snapdragon Sense ID 3D Fingerprint Technology, the product is a combination of an integrated ultrasonic biometric reader and a series of algorithms and frameworks that allows a device to scan a user’s fingerprint from any part of the phone.

Because it uses ultrasound and not a capacitive sensor like existing biometric solutions, OEMs can install the reader anywhere on a smartphone or wearable device. And Qualcomm claims that its sensitivity is such that it can penetrate liquid such as sweat or hand lotion that typically trip up existing readers.

Qualcomm has partnered with FIDO, a standards body that ensures equalization among companies that create authentication-based solutions, often for mobile payments, to ensure that Sense ID can be implemented in a wide range of products.

The product is compatible with all Snapdragon 400, 600 and 800-series SoCs from Qualcomm, and should arrive in its first devices later this year.

Tendo

Guys, ever since I got the lollipop on my S5 my batter has been awful. Android OS and android system are taking up more batter than my screen. I already did a factory reset. Any ideas??

Jeff-DSA

My wife needs a new phone...soon. Her Galaxy S4 is dying rapidly, and she's not sure it will make it until the S6 releases (or if we want to pay that price). How is the Nexus 5 holding up for everybody? Is that a good option still, or is it running pretty slow these days? She's a basic user, doing mostly browsing, texting, calls, Facebook, etc. The Nexus 6 just seems to be a bit too big for her anyway, but I think Vanilla Android suits her best.

My wife needs a new phone...soon. Her Galaxy S4 is dying rapidly, and she's not sure it will make it until the S6 releases (or if we want to pay that price). How is the Nexus 5 holding up for everybody? Is that a good option still, or is it running pretty slow these days? She's a basic user, doing mostly browsing, texting, calls, Facebook, etc. The Nexus 6 just seems to be a bit too big for her anyway, but I think Vanilla Android suits her best.

The Nexus 5 works well without any (noticeable) slowdowns for me. But the battery and camera aren't great. I brought a Qi charging plate to work so I can definitely get through the day.

Get her a one plus one. They are on sale tomorrow with no invite required and it's pretty much the best phone out other than the Note 4 at half the price. OnePlus.net

Get her a one plus one. They are on sale tomorrow with no invite required and it's pretty much the best phone out other than the Note 4 at half the price. OnePlus.net

The OnePlus One is not that much smaller than the Nexus 6. If he thinks he N6 is too big, the OPO won't be much better.

Top Bottom