• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

longdi

Banned
I had it set as the tablet to upgrade my tablet Z but I wasn't expecting that price. Looks like I might have to wait for a decent deal.

Still though,that price includes the keyboard which I'm definitely getting so it's not too bad.

Sony should drop their tablet line. Z3 tablet looks good but i heard suffers from software implementation. Will Z4 improve on thatt? It sure does look good and best the best of the Galaxy tab line, but no one buys android tablets.

Its ipad or bust. The next in line would be the surface pro with the windows productivity thing. Android as a tablet is a failed system. Not sure what Sony is trying to achieve with a 'pro' Z4, keyboard and all. Do people really use Android for work?

Would you guys take TouchWiz if it looked something like this?

http://en.iunios.com/index.html
nah, same shit different laxative.

Even though touchwiz is ugly as all hell, my fundamental beef with it is that it's overdesigning on top of android, changing things for no reason. Small examples like some icons and the app drawer button and there's zillions other things. I hate that. Moto has it right. Leave it be, add smart features here and there.

Dislike all the over-designing that's going on. You're not good at it. Stop it.

VoxPop

Would you guys take TouchWiz if it looked something like this?

http://en.iunios.com/index.html

That looks decent. Hell of a lot better than Touchwiz. Another launcher can't get rid of any of the Touchwiz except for the homescreen which is hardly the issue. Need to full on just install a different rom. I'm sure it will see a good amount of support from XDA.

Does anyone know where I would be able to pick an Edge up without any of the terrible branding on the back (yes that hideous typography saying GALAXY S6 counts) and without any carrier logos. Just want the clean look like these

galaxys6-16.0.png

Am I going to have to import one of these bad boys?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Those pics aren't that terrible. The low light does suck, but I think software updates can fix it. I don't think it will be all that bad.

They aren't terrible. It's not shitty so much as just not as good as the competition. Then again those S6 pics with the yellow hue are like lolwut too.

Problem is there were a few phones last year like the G3, Note 4, One Plus, N6 ect... that had great cameras so a certain bar has already been set.

nah, same shit different laxative.

Even though touchwiz is ugly as all hell, my fundamental beef with it is that it's overdesigning on top of android, changing things for no reason. Small examples like some icons and the app drawer button and there's zillions other things. I hate that. Moto has it right. Leave it be, add smart features here and there.

Dislike all the over-designing that's going on. You're not good at it. Stop it.

Lets not pretend that Android was a looker before 5.0, especially not without the Google Now Launcher. 4.4 made things better, sure, but a different launcher has always been the better option, even for stock devices. Heck, I still wish I could change the ugly phone icon on my N5 without installing a different launcher or root or anything like that.

Lets not pretend that Android was a looker before 5.0, especially not without the Google Now Launcher. 4.4 made things better, sure, but a different launcher has always been the better option, even for stock devices. Heck, I still wish I could change the ugly phone icon on my N5 without installing a different launcher or root or anything like that.
maybe I could buy that in the past but recently lollipop looks great. There's no reason at all to be making some of the changes OEMs are making. It's just annoying.

I'm also not saying everything has to be the same either but there is a way to add smart/innovative features to the OS without taking a shit on it.

maybe I could buy that in the past but recently lollipop looks great. There's no reason at all to be making some of the changes OEMs are making. It's just annoying.

I'm also not saying everything has to be the same either but there is a way to add smart/innovative features to the OS without taking a shit on it.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lollipop and I think it's the best looking mobile OS out there (not counting any user modifications). It's the reason I bought my Nexus 5. And I'm really excited for some of the changes in 5.1 (animated rotation lock icon in quick settings, wooo!).

But I like different takes on OS design and wouldn't mind to test something like MIUI or the OS from the link I posted. I certainly don't see how it takes away from Android, if it doesn't mess up things like the notification center (like TouchWiz).

Don't get me wrong, I love Lollipop and I think it's the best looking mobile OS out there (not counting any user modifications). It's the reason I bought my Nexus 5. And I'm really excited for some of the changes in 5.1 (animated rotation lock icon in quick settings, wooo!).

But I like different takes on OS design and wouldn't mind to test something like MIUI or the OS from the link I posted. I certainly don't see how it takes away from Android, if it doesn't mess up things like the notification center (like TouchWiz).
I don't mind different looks at all. But I don't like them being baked onto android. Simple Az that.

Now if touchwiz was a simple launcher you can remove at any time. Sign me up for an S6. Same goes for all the other stuff. It takes away because it convolutes the operating system, causes later updates, more glitches/battery drain in some cases, etc...the cons far outweigh the benefits.

Would be cool if google could bake a complete theming engine onto android that way for those who know what they're doing they can just go in and remove/add any theme.

I don't mind different looks at all. But I don't like them being baked onto android. Simple Az that.

Now if touchwiz was a simple launcher you can remove at any time. Sign me up for an S6. Same goes for all the other stuff. It takes away because it convolutes the operating system, causes later updates, more glitches/battery drain in some cases, etc...the cons far outweigh the benefits.

Would be cool if google could bake a complete theming engine onto android that way for those who know what they're doing they can just go in and remove/add any theme.

But most of the time these OEM skins added features that simply weren't there in stock Android (for example, Samsung's theming engine in TouchWiz). They just weren't added in a pretty way. And again, before Lollipop, "Stock Android" was not a bullet point worth mentioning, certainly not a positive one. "Faster updates" is certainly not a thing, if you ask some Motorola users here. The skin, or lack thereof, means nothing, if you still have to wait for your carrier. And even unlocked Moto G's and E's are still waiting. LG was actually quicker at some point, iirc.

Again, I'm still in love with Stock Android, but (from the little experience I had) the worst I can say about Samsung's and LG's skin, is that they look like shit, which would certainly make the experience worse for me.

But most of the time these OEM skins added features that simply weren't there in stock Android (for example, Samsung's theming engine in TouchWiz). They just weren't added in a pretty way. And again, before Lollipop, "Stock Android" was not a bullet point worth mentioning, certainly not a positive one. "Faster updates" is certainly not a thing, if you ask some Motorola users here. The skin, or lack thereof, means nothing, if you still have to wait for your carrier. And even unlocked Moto G's and E's are still waiting. LG was actually quicker at some point, iirc.

Again, I'm still in love with Stock Android, but (from the little experience I had) the worst I can say about Samsung's and LG's skin, is that they look like shit, which would certainly make the experience worse for me.
There's a lot more problems with touchwiz than looks. The more bullshit there is on an OS the more opportunity there is for something to go wrong. It's simply not necessary. I don't care how android used to be. I'm speaking in present tense. The skins are garbage and pointless and only harm the experience more than they enhance it.

Moto X got lollipop faster than some nexus devices. Yeah they seem to be having some trouble with older phones but so is literally every other OEM which probably has more to do with the stability of the OS than anything.

Samsung Pay is another classic example. In the year google definitely plans to push Android Pay samsung goes and does that. To me it's all joke. I don't want these ugly icons, ruined notification panels, horrendously poorly designed settings, a goddamn mother fucking menu button in 2015 LOL. Undeniably factually objectively horrible design. Courtesy of touchwiz ™

Not saying it does nothing good, it does some interesting things in the Note Line. All those things would still be possible without shitting on the OS. Again, my beef is that the cons outweigh the benefits.

Imagine PC OEMs did this with Windows? People wouldn't stand for it (acutally they didn't when it came to pre-installed bullshit). Yet we put up with it for android. It's a shame. And I do realize carriers push it as well but still.

some people are just ok with waiting for Google to finally halfassedly add features. how many times does Google have to prove how much of a shitshow they are when adding shit? they fucked up DND, fix TBA. they fucked up toggles. still working on that shit. they fixed browser... oh wait, no, Chrome still sucks.they fixed messaging. more than once. gmail still sucks at non-gmail email. did they add that unified inbox yet at least? pure Google sucks, and they will fuck up multi-window when they add that in Android Pop Rocks. Google's fork of Android is always lagging on key features.

GAF is too picky about the UIs. None of them are all that ugly to me and even if you didn't like them you could change them easily. *shrugs*

edit: I decided to check out how Lollipop looks, I tried the KK Launcher (Lollipop edition) and it looks atrocious. xD Maybe it's 'cause the Note 4's screen is optimized for TouchWiz. But I mean if I had a phone with this UI I wouldn't lose sleep.

markot

Banned
some people are just ok with waiting for Google to finally halfassedly add features. how many times does Google have to prove how much of a shitshow they are when adding shit? they fucked up DND, fix TBA. they fucked up toggles. still working on that shit. they fixed browser... oh wait, no, Chrome still sucks.they fixed messaging. more than once. gmail still sucks at non-gmail email. did they add that unified inbox yet at least? pure Google sucks, and they will fuck up multi-window when they add that in Android Pop Rocks. Google's fork of Android is always lagging on key features.

Yeah, they do stupid stuff often. Chrome is pretty terrible. And whats with no mute option for phones? Why would you even think of removing that?

GAF is too picky about the UIs. None of them are all that ugly to me and even if you didn't like them you could change them easily. *shrugs*
only touchwiz is REALLY ugly

I think sense ui is fine, sony's is not good or bad it's inoffensive, LG is a slicker touchwiz in some ways but still not the best. I more dislike the fact that it's pointless. Principal of the matter. Let me have my phone how I want it in all ways.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

I've always thought Android from Gingerbread on has looked great, definitely better than iOS.

markot

Banned
HTC is soon going to stop selling the One (M8), its flagship from last year. In its place the Taiwanese company will offer the One M8s, a device which will be almost identical to the one it's going to replace.

The one difference will be in the chipset choice. Whereas the One (M8) ships with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 SoC (which was that chip maker's top of the line offering in the first half of last year), the new M8s will go with a midrange Snapdragon 615 instead.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_m8s_with_slower_cpu_to_replace_the_one_m8_soon-news-11398.php

>_>

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Gingerbread looked awful. Anything before that looked bad too. ICS was ok. I don't like or hate it. It was very generic.

Actually looking back at some Gingerbread pics, you're right. But Gingerbread was the start of when Android started looking better.

VoxPop

HTC is soon going to stop selling the One (M8), its flagship from last year. In its place the Taiwanese company will offer the One M8s, a device which will be almost identical to the one it's going to replace.

The one difference will be in the chipset choice. Whereas the One (M8) ships with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 SoC (which was that chip maker's top of the line offering in the first half of last year), the new M8s will go with a midrange Snapdragon 615 instead.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_m8s_with_slower_cpu_to_replace_the_one_m8_soon-news-11398.php

>_>

HTC gonna HTC. It's sad to see what they've become after doing a stellar job with the M7.

>_>

So there's going to be three M8s - One M8, One M8s, One M9? lmao

>_>

more like the M8C

giga

>_>
What on earth.

DarkFlow

Banned
I am just curious. Is there anything so demanding on the market that it requires an octacore processor? I had the htc one m7 for a while and it handled everything pretty much flawlessly. However, I am starting to see these mega specs being thrown at us and the only thing I can think to myself is that a fast dual core with 3 gigs of ram would be MORE than enough for most things on the market. I currently have a moto g and I really enjoy the phone but the RAM is really my only issue most of the time.... aside from when facebook isnt overheating my CPU.

Also, I am considering doing a phone upgrade in the near future. The m9 seems highly appealing considering my positive experience from the m7 but I have not really considered the competition. Especially for the price points... which seem to be all over nowadays

It's really a Quadcore when it comes down to running things. It has 4 "Big" cores that run faster and do most of the heavy lifting. The 4 "Small" cores are clocked lower and save power when you don't need the horsepower.

I don't think that the average consumer knows or gives a shit about screen resolution. If they did then the G3 would have sold like gangbusters.

The G3 did sell better than their previous handsets and better than the HTC m8. I've never seen anyone in public with a m8. You are underestimating consumers of high end android devices. The m9 will flop in comparison to the s6.

kmfdmpig

I had it set as the tablet to upgrade my tablet Z but I wasn't expecting that price. Looks like I might have to wait for a decent deal.

Still though,that price includes the keyboard which I'm definitely getting so it's not too bad.

I'm in the same boat. That price is ridiculous. I guess I'll get a Galaxy S 10.5 even though it's slow.

DarkFlow

Banned
The G3 did sell better than their previous handsets and better than the HTC m8. I've never seen anyone in public with a m8. You are underestimating consumers of high end android devices. The m9 will flop in comparison to the s6.

Well no shit, that's not exactly saying much.

I'm in the same boat. That price is ridiculous. I guess I'll get a Galaxy S 10.5 even though it's slow.
I just got a Tab S 10.5 the other day, it's in no way slow. Plus the screen is amazing.

SnapDragon 810 supports GTS/HMP, so all cores can be active.

So does Exynos starting with a later revision of 5 series. Exynos 7 of course supports it too.

Exynos is going to be the fastest SoC of 2015 unless Nvidia gets Maxwell into the new Tegra and even there Tegra will still be unworkable for phones compared to Exynos.

Well no shit, that's not exactly saying much.

I just got a Tab S 10.5 the other day, it's in no way slow. Plus the screen is amazing.

It will flop next to the next LG flagship too. There is really no reason to get a m9 unless you want the speakers at this point. Construction on the s6 is better than the m9 too.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I am just curious. Is there anything so demanding on the market that it requires an octacore processor? I had the htc one m7 for a while and it handled everything pretty much flawlessly. However, I am starting to see these mega specs being thrown at us and the only thing I can think to myself is that a fast dual core with 3 gigs of ram would be MORE than enough for most things on the market. I currently have a moto g and I really enjoy the phone but the RAM is really my only issue most of the time.... aside from when facebook isnt overheating my CPU.

Also, I am considering doing a phone upgrade in the near future. The m9 seems highly appealing considering my positive experience from the m7 but I have not really considered the competition. Especially for the price points... which seem to be all over nowadays

In general outside of very specific applications or games the power in the new processors are overkill. That being said last years phone were slightly better than the previous years ie M8 over the M7 because the core clock speeds were higher. This helps because a lot of apps still don't handle multithreading well.

It's also why potentially the 810 could be slower than the 801/805 of last year if the clock speeds are to be believed via the leaks.

So does Exynos starting with a later revision of 5 series. Exynos 7 of course supports it too.

i thought everyone already knew this? was just pointing out that Qualcomm has it too...

Exynos is going to be the fastest SoC of 2015 unless Nvidia gets Maxwell into the new Tegra and even there Tegra will still be unworkable for phones compared to Exynos.
820 looming on the horizon! and Parker is supposed to use FinFET.

DarkFlow

Banned
It will flop next to the next LG flagship too. There is really no reason to get a m9 unless you want the speakers at this point. Construction on the s6 is better than the m9 too.

The ultrapixel front camera might be a big draw for the 16 year old selfie group. Construction really means jack shit to 90% of people who buy phones, people are not going to buy one phone over the other because of what it's made out of.

Top Bottom