• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

kmfdmpig

Well no shit, that's not exactly saying much.

I just got a Tab S 10.5 the other day, it's in no way slow. Plus the screen is amazing.

That's great to hear. I keep reading about lag, but I'm glad to hear that you have not experienced that. I'm getting it primarily for comic reading.

DarkFlow

Banned
That's great to hear. I keep reading about lag, but I'm glad to hear that you have not experienced that. I'm getting it primarily for comic reading.

You just need to tweak it a bit. I turned off S voice and that speeds up pressing the home button because it no longer waits for the 2nd push for S voice. As for comics, it's great. I use Marvel Unlimited and the images look great on AMOLED.

NotBacon

some people are just ok with waiting for Google to finally halfassedly add features. how many times does Google have to prove how much of a shitshow they are when adding shit? they fucked up DND, fix TBA. they fucked up toggles. still working on that shit. they fixed browser... oh wait, no, Chrome still sucks.they fixed messaging. more than once. gmail still sucks at non-gmail email. did they add that unified inbox yet at least? pure Google sucks, and they will fuck up multi-window when they add that in Android Pop Rocks. Google's fork of Android is always lagging on key features.

DND: Annoying. Rumours point to 5.1 fixing it at least.

Toggles: This must not be a real issue considering I have a Nexus and don't know what you're talking about.

Chrome: Shits the bed every few days. Doesn't have anything to do with Google's fork of Android though.

Gmail: Again, don't know what you're talking about. I have multiple accounts and it works fine.

I don't feel I'm missing any "key features".
I feel like I'm in phone nirvana, just like many other posters here with their new phones.

Conclusion: Only VERY subjectively does "pure Google suck".
And that's fine. Opinions are fine.

Avixph

According to Sammobile, the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge will come with 64GB of storage as standard in the UK. It will also be available in all the colors.

X5izsYJ.png

I'm pretty disappointing that the US carriers probably won't carry the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge in all the colors especially in Blue Topaz and Green Emerald.

XBP

It will flop next to the next LG flagship too. There is really no reason to get a m9 unless you want the speakers at this point. Construction on the s6 is better than the m9 too.

There are though. Excellent audio quality and a great android skin are two major things. The m8 was a successful phone and regarded by many as the best of 2014. I dont see why the m9 would be any worse just because its more of an iterative upgrade. If anyone is currently looking for a new phone then the m9 is an excellent option.

I'm back to using Motorola's stock experience. The Aviate launcher was a really nice experience, but unfortunately for whatever reason it was using a crap ton of data (4MB in a day). That wouldn't be a huge issue if not for the fact that I'm on a tiny 300MB data pool and I used quite a bit off-wifi before I found the culprit.

I'm back to using Motorola's stock experience. The Aviate launcher was a really nice experience, but unfortunately for whatever reason it was using a crap ton of data (4MB in a day). That wouldn't be a huge issue if not for the fact that I'm on a tiny 300MB data pool and I used quite a bit off-wifi before I found the culprit.

Damn man I use more than your data allowance per day. (nearly 500)

I've tried going to lollipop twice now and man this is horrible. Do they seriously not have a silent option for the phone? Also who thought it was a good idea at google to make the background of the app drawer white? It's better in KitKat. I think I'm going to try to hold off on this is until 5.1 that hopefully fixes all the dumb shit they did in 5.0.

terrier

I've tried going to lollipop twice now and man this is horrible. Do they seriously not have a silent option for the phone? Also who thought it was a good idea at google to make the background of the app drawer white? It's better in KitKat. I think I'm going to try to hold off on this is until 5.1 that hopefully fixes all the dumb shit they did in 5.0.

no silent option, no gps toggle, no removal of google search bar even if you can acces gnow anywhere even with screen off via voice commands....

Btw, it looks SD820 comes with custom design, just like krait cores for 32bit socs, i wonder if this time this will give them real performance advantage over competition since 810 shares design with mediatek or exynos chips

kmfdmpig

You just need to tweak it a bit. I turned off S voice and that speeds up pressing the home button because it no longer waits for the 2nd push for S voice. As for comics, it's great. I use Marvel Unlimited and the images look great on AMOLED.

Is yours LTE or Wi-fi? I've heard the LTEs with the Snapdragon are a lot faster. If yours is Wi-fi I'll buy one very soon as that's great to hear.

giga

So does Exynos starting with a later revision of 5 series. Exynos 7 of course supports it too.

Exynos is going to be the fastest SoC of 2015 unless Nvidia gets Maxwell into the new Tegra and even there Tegra will still be unworkable for phones compared to Exynos.
It's March dude. Anything released now will be trumped by the Snapdragon 820 (with a custom ARMv8 CPU) and Apple A9 coming later this year. Especially so because it's Apple's "tick" year.

There are though. Excellent audio quality and a great android skin are two major things. The m8 was a successful phone and regarded by a few as the best of 2014. I dont see why the m9 would be any worse just because its more of an iterative upgrade. If anyone is currently looking for a new phone then the m9 is an excellent option.
Fixed that for you. Perhaps in the first half of the year, but by the second half it was no longer being mentioned. If anyone were looking for a new phone, I'd still recommend phones from last year since they will hold up well compared to an M9. I know HTC is going to price this at $800 for this "iterative upgrade."

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Does anyone know how fingerprint information is stored on the Galaxy S6?

Touch ID is one of those things that I love on my iPhone 6 and I'm glad that an Android phone is finally implementing a similar feature however the security is a little worrying. The iPhone stores a mathematical representation of the fingerprint which isn't possible to reverse engineer PLUS it's stored on the secure enclave which is encrypted and walled off from iOS and third party apps.

With the way that Android handles permissions and how malicious some third party apps can be in collecting personal information... I imagine collecting fingerprints of Galaxy S6 users will be a priority for the bad guys. No way in hell would I use that thing if Samsung hasn't take steps to secure it the way Apple has.

Touch ID is one of those things that I love on my iPhone 6 and I'm glad that an Android phone is finally implementing a similar feature however the security is a little worrying. The iPhone stores a mathematical representation of the fingerprint which isn't possible to reverse engineer PLUS it's stored on the secure enclave which is encrypted and walled off from iOS and third party apps.

With the way that Android handles permissions and how malicious some third party apps can be in collecting personal information... I imagine collecting fingerprints of Galaxy S6 users will be a priority for the bad guys. No way in hell would I use that thing if Samsung hasn't take steps to secure it the way Apple has.
It can still be reversed engineered by the government. Never believe the lies

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The only explanation is that you are blind.

What can I say, nostalgia is pretty blinding ;)

edit: Also, I primarily used Gingerbread on my Evo 3D which had Sense, so it wasn't as hideous as stock Gingerbread.

Mindwipe

I agree. But it'll need OS level support to really work, or there'd be no interaction layer between the secure enclave and userland applications. Hopefully a big one for Android M.

It can still be reversed engineered by the government. Never believe the lies

If they have physical access to the device. Sure.

But if they have physical access to the device its already covered with my fingerprints on the outside anyway...

Fixed that for you. Perhaps in the first half of the year, but by the second half it was no longer being mentioned. If anyone were looking for a new phone, I'd still recommend phones from last year since they're will hold up well compared to an M9. I know HTC is going to price this at $800 for this "iterative upgrade."

My problem is that my phone is due for an upgrade in July... so mid year... eesh.

Husker86

Am I the only one that doesn't understand the point of the Edge? Is it just another gimmick like the Flex?
Curved glass at the edges feels nice on phones. The actual screen curving is a bit gimmicky, but whatever. At least it's something different, and they have a flat one if people want that. Phones are getting boring.

j-wood

I'm confused on how you guys are saying there is not a silence mode?

I put my phone in priority mode and only allow calls and messages from starred contacts to get through.

Nothing else makes my phone go off.

Hasney

I'm confused on how you guys are saying there is not a silence mode?

I put my phone in priority mode and only allow calls and messages from starred contacts to get through.

Nothing else makes my phone go off.

Yeah, the whole thing is worded badly, but it works fine.

Dio

Banned
Diving back into the phone business makes my head spin. Hearing people talk about the LG G3 'showing its age' and 'stuttering' on review sites is giving me pause.

I just want a nice and stutter free, powerful phone that has good internal audio support (unrelated to speakers) and expandable storage. From what I can tell, the G3 is pretty much what I'm looking for, but everyone thinks that's old broken bullshit now.

Hasney

Diving back into the phone business makes my head spin. Hearing people talk about the LG G3 'showing its age' and 'stuttering' on review sites is giving me pause.

I just want a nice and stutter free, powerful phone that has good internal audio support (unrelated to speakers) and expandable storage. From what I can tell, the G3 is pretty much what I'm looking for, but everyone thinks that's old broken bullshit now.

There's a G3 thread if you search for it that I see active now and again. Ask them how they're liking it still because the sites might be using a 16GB version which is apparently a piece of shit, but 32GB is good.

Or be different and get a G.FLEX 2

Danj

With no sign of a Sony Xperia Z4 phone, with the HTC M9 being crap and the Samsung S6 looking like it'll be too expensive, should I just bite the bullet and upgrade to last year's Xperia Z3, or should I try to persuade my mum she needs to wait before getting my old phone and upgrade in summer when the Z4 finally comes out? Or is there some other phone announced at MWC that's worthy of my consideration? Note: needs to be available through my carrier as it's a contract upgrade.

With no sign of a Sony Xperia Z4 phone, with the HTC M9 being crap and the Samsung S6 looking like it'll be too expensive, should I just bite the bullet and upgrade to last year's Xperia Z3, or should I try to persuade my mum she needs to wait before getting my old phone and upgrade in summer when the Z4 finally comes out? Or is there some other phone announced at MWC that's worthy of my consideration? Note: needs to be available through my carrier as it's a contract upgrade.

If you upgrade in the summer, the LG G4 could be out by then. A Z4 may be announced by then, but I doubt it will be out by then.

Avixph

Mophie Unveils juice pack for Samsung Galaxy S® 6 and S6 edge at Mobile World Congress.
Orange County, Calif., (March 2, 2015) – mophie—the #1 selling mobile battery case in North America(1), and innovator of power and storage solutions for mobile devices—announced today its juice pack® lineup for Samsung Galaxy S® 6 and S6 Edge. The unveiling occurred in conjunction with Samsung’s announcement of their two new devices at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

These latest additions to mophie’s juice pack® family each offer users more than 100% extra battery life (3300 mAh) and edge-to-edge protection, highlighted by mophie’s proprietary Impact Isolation System that acts as an internal suspension system, protecting the device from drops.

Along with pass through sync and quick charge capabilities, the design of the juice pack® line also maintains the functionality of the S6 and S6 Edge with pass-through buttons and mophie’s proprietary mute switch.

As part of Samsung’s SMAPP program, consisting of strategic accessory partners, mophie will offer the only battery charging case for the S6 and S6 Edge at launch.

The mophie juice pack® made for Galaxy S® 6 and S6 Edge will be available at launch of both devices via mophie.com for $99.95.
Source.

kIdMuScLe

Is the Galaxy tab S any good ?? I'm planning of selling the ipad air on Christmas and get that instead .. My girlfriend really likes the split window feature on yhe galaxy .. .. .. Also what's up with chrome being funky with mobile gaf? I can't backspace while typing

_woLf

After having Lollipop on my S5 for a few days, I can now safely say that heads up notifications are one of the worst fucking things I have ever seen on a mobile device. What the fuck were you thinking, google?

Ferny

So I have an iPhone 6 but been looking to get an Android for a bit now. Is the Oneplus One still a good device to get?

Danj

If you upgrade in the summer, the LG G4 could be out by then. A Z4 may be announced by then, but I doubt it will be out by then.

Well my upgrade is available now, and ideally I wanted to get something before the end of next month so I can give my mum my old phone when I go to visit after Easter. I could get a Z3 right now, but I'm just worried for the next 2 years I'll be like "man, I wish I could've waited a few more months" or something.

Top Bottom