• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

NotBacon

I've tried going to lollipop twice now and man this is horrible. Do they seriously not have a silent option for the phone?

no silent option, no gps toggle, no removal of google search bar even if you can acces gnow anywhere even with screen off via voice commands....

I'm confused on how you guys are saying there is not a silence mode?

I put my phone in priority mode and only allow calls and messages from starred contacts to get through.

Nothing else makes my phone go off.
Yeah, the whole thing is worded badly, but it works fine.

Bingo.

And GPS is fine to be left on, it doesn't drain battery when not in use since..... a while ago. And complaining about the Google search bar? This is Android. Go install another launcher.

j-wood

So now that I have my nexus 6 on verizon, is Moto care worth it? My VZW insurance won't cover this right now and the Moto care seems like a better deal...

So I have an iPhone 6 but been looking to get an Android for a bit now. Is the Oneplus One still a good device to get?

it's not bad...but oneplus 2 isn't terribly far out. Or get an S6 or something though I always say someone's first android device would be better if it was closer to stock. Then add to the experience by getting whatever you want or using launchers/customizing. That's just me though.

Ferny

What are you looking for in a phone? what are you willing to spend?
Something similiar to the iPhone 6 is fine. Not really looking for anything crazy. Good camera, good battery, and all that. Im on TMobile.

Money wise - I don't really have a number. As long as the phone is good. I was honestly looking at the Z3 or the 1+. Those were the two that I had an interest in.

Sid

Something similiar to the iPhone 6 is fine. Not really looking for anything crazy. Good camera, good battery, and all that. Im on TMobile.

Money wise - I don't really have a number. As long as the phone is good. I was honestly looking at the Z3 or the 1+. Those were the two that I had an interest in.
Get the S6 Edge

Z3 is very good. The camera is a tad bit worse than iPhone 6 (they use the same sensors too, heh) but the battery easily trumps it. The one plus is pretty good too if the Z3 is too expensive for you.

There's a chance the LG G4 will have much better battery than the s6/s6edge. But yeah sounds like you want one of the flagships if you want something that performs as well as the iphone in terms of all round. Or if you want something cheap a G3 should be attainable.

I say S6/G4/Nexus6. If you're willing to wait for later in the year then wait to see oneplus2, nexus 2015 and other shit.

kharma45

Z3 is very good. The camera is a tad bit worse than iPhone 6 (they use the same sensors too, heh) but the battery easily trumps it. The one plus is pretty good too if the Z3 is too expensive for you.

The Z3 and the iPhone use different sensors.

Having owned a OnePlus One I'd avoid it.

NotBacon

If you want the best of the best that Android has to offer right now, go try out a Nexus 6 or Note 4.

If you don't want to be a part of the phablet master race, 1+ is good value, Z3 is decent, S6 looks decent. G4 is coming soon.

I'm very happy w/ the Oneplus, no issues to report here. If I were choosing I'd probably go for a Z3 over a Oneplus.

Ultimately for me I wasn't happy with the tech that will be released this year, so I bought the Oneplus to hold me over until there's something I'm really interested in spending 6-700 bucks on. I may even keep it longer though, 3gb and an 801 should be snappy for a while

j-wood

Well now i'm pissed at motorola. I just purchased Moto care for my Nexus 6, but a rep is telling me I won't be covered "until the order is completed" which is 7-10 business days!

How is that possible it takes that long to process insurance? Basically if I drop my phone in the next 7-10 days I'm shit out of luck.

Wreav

Banned
Well now i'm pissed at motorola. I just purchased Moto care for my Nexus 6, but a rep is telling me I won't be covered "until the order is completed" which is 7-10 business days!

How is that possible it takes that long to process insurance? Basically if I drop my phone in the next 7-10 days I'm shit out of luck.
Should have waited for the VZW release, friend.

Are you sure? I could've sworn I read that they use the same sensor since Sony produces the sensors in iphones.

Sony produces lots of sensors.

how would they know you dropped the phone in the next 7-10 days or on day 11?

kharma45

The S6 lets you change the colours in TouchWiz, the grey actually looks alright

5K8iCBg.jpg

Groof

The new TW isn't half bad. Major step forward. Shame about the icons, but those can usually be skinned with 3rd party launchers. But text instead of icons? You mad as always, Sammy.

I just got a Tab S 10.5 the other day, it's in no way slow. Plus the screen is amazing.

how awesome is the screen?

i have the 8.4 and it's ridiculous

Is the Galaxy tab S any good ?? I'm planning of selling the ipad air on Christmas and get that instead .. My girlfriend really likes the split window feature on yhe galaxy .. .. .. Also what's up with chrome being funky with mobile gaf? I can't backspace while typing

it's great! and did you mean Craigslist?

j-wood

Watching netflix with headphones on my nexus 6, there are random pops and crackles in the background. Is that a netflix bug?

NotBacon

Watching netflix with headphones on my nexus 6, there are random pops and crackles in the background. Is that a netflix bug?

No it's your imagination. N6 is the god phone that does no wrong.

I think some people were saying they heard crackling through the speakers, maybe it's related?

j-wood

No it's your imagination. N6 is the god phone that does no wrong.

I think some people were saying they heard crackling through the speakers, maybe it's related?

It's odd in that, I don't hear the issue when using the headphones with the youtube app or music. So it appears to be a netflix issue.

j-wood

have you tried different videos?

Not on Netflix no. I'm trying to watch house of cards.

I have an odd request. Can anyone post what the default developer options are? I turned on developer mode and saw that nuplayer was enabled by default, so i tried turning that off (still have the issue in netflix). So I turned nuplayer back on and hit the "off" developer toggle at the top...which then seemed to uncheck and disable all the developer options (does this mean it sets them back to default?). So that's why i'm wondering if any of those are enabled by default?

Wreav

Banned
I love the look of the edge, but I drop my phone on its side so damn much that I can't imagine using a phone with this form factor.

I don't think there's any revolutionary usability gains from the form factor, just aesthetics.

Avixph

I love the look of the edge, but I drop my phone on its side so damn much that I can't imagine using a phone with this form factor.

I don't think there's any revolutionary usability gains from the form factor, just aesthetics.
Apparently it has great one handed use and great side to side scrolling.

Toki767

I think it potentially makes it width thinner and therefore easier to manage one-handed. That's really about the only purpose I can see for it though.

Would someone mind shedding some light on a question I have?

I'm on Verizon pre-paid, and I'm buying a new phone soon (probably the S6), however I don't want to be locked to Verizon, and since I'm not buying the phone subsidized, what are my options? I can buy straight from Samsung or Best Buy and get an unlocked phone? Does Samsung make their Galaxy phone with both GSM and CDMA radios like Apple? I'm just wondering because I might have to switch to a GSM carrier if I get moved overseas because I'm in the military.

Would someone mind shedding some light on a question I have?

I'm on Verizon pre-paid, and I'm buying a new phone soon (probably the S6), however I don't want to be locked to Verizon, and since I'm not buying the phone subsidized, what are my options? I can buy straight from Samsung or Best Buy and get an unlocked phone? Does Samsung make their Galaxy phone with both GSM and CDMA radios like Apple? I'm just wondering because I might have to switch to a GSM carrier if I get moved overseas because I'm in the military.

Why dont you just switch to cricket and make everything easy. Or is there no ATT coverage where you are?

Top Bottom