• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuros

Ordered a 5x the moment the page went up for 379 in the UK. Have just cancelled it. No notification LED? 2GB ram and the top and bottom bezels are pretty big.

I have a dieing n5 (power button, second one) and seeing as I can get a 32gb s6 for 30-40 quid cheaper I think I will plump for that.

Crazy fucking prices goog.

Quasar

yeah man wait it out, that australian price is way too crazy for that phone.

Yeah. Bums me out. And even thinking about the 5x it was more 'because the 6p is way more than I'd spend on a phone' rather than a phone I'd be genuinely happy with. AU$900 (for a 32gb 6P) is getting close to iphone/galaxy prices. The 16GB 5X is AU$659 which to me is crazy expensive for a 16GB phone with no sd card slot. And looking back in my google history I see I paid AU$399 for my 16GB Nexus 4. I guess that was back when we had parity with the USD.

Leaving aside phones, I must say the Pixel tablet looks interesting. Hopefully google keeps at this as something like that I could see buying once my iPad Air2 has worn itself out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They don't. There are a ton that give better battery life than the iPhone. With that said, with Android unfortunately a settings on one app or a bad bug can make things go to shit. I personally don't know what that looks like as the two phones that I've been using have the best battery life I've ever seen and they happen to be top phones in terms of battery life.

I'll have dramatically different battery life on different days. Just turning the phone off and on again rolls the battery dice. Really frustrating because the z3 good days are great, but sometimes it'll just shit the bed

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wow at those UK prices. Unless you absolutely, positively, cannot live without stock Android then I'm not sure why anyone would consider a 5x at £339.

Shame.

It probably works just fine, and a 5.2" 1080p screen is good. The camera looks to be a real KSP though.

Wreav

Banned
Ordered a 5x the moment the page went up for 379 in the UK. Have just cancelled it. No notification LED? 2GB ram and the top and bottom bezels are pretty big.

I have a dieing n5 (power button, second one) and seeing as I can get a 32gb s6 for 30-40 quid cheaper I think I will plump for that.

Crazy fucking prices goog.
But...then you have a Samsung.

The best feature of the new nexus are the plus 2 years of no bullshit support. Fuck Samsung & their bullshit KIES shit and their shit support, likewise all those cheap asian OEM that leave users hanging out to dry after they get their money, that support & service is more valuable than whatever the price differences is between all other phones available.

The best message that the conference today conveyed is that google is a software monster, not only on android but IOS & they'll support the services in which they're invested in. That's something that neither Apple or MSFT are able to achieve today and it seems to be their greatest advantage.

Quasar

The best message that the conference today conveyed is that google is a software monster, not only on android but IOS & they'll support the services in which they're invested in. That's something that neither Apple or MSFT are able to achieve today and it seems to be their greatest advantage.

Well I think MS is doing a much better job, but then I continue to be annoyed by Googles deliberate strategy towards Windows.

Apple though...am curious to see how they go with Apple Music and beyond. I suspect it will be as bad as Windows on the desktop. Certainly how their switch app turned out points to that. So I don't expect the Apple Music app to be a material app with googlecast support, which is what it would be if they were serious.

Well I think MS is doing a much better job, but then I continue to be annoyed by Googles deliberate strategy towards Windows.

Apple though...am curious to see how they go with Apple Music and beyond. I suspect it will be as bad as Windows on the desktop.

MSFT is improving by leaps under Nadella, Apple is struggling in this area while trying to come to grips with the reality of the issue, their marriage of hardware & software is priced in a way that's outside the scope of the majority of users, they harvest the greatest profits today but won't operate at the scale needed to make their SSAS truly universal and as flexible as they should be to tackle the requirements of tomorrow. Good thing for them it's that they are capable of adjusting, maybe they should create an offspring company separated from Apple to not harm their #brand perception while doing it.

Ordered the 6p 64GB Graphite. Hoping for good reviews!
Best choice. I had chose the same exact configuration. Did you pick up anything else?
I won't lol

fuck that noise for 600 bucks. I got standards. Could get like an X play and 2 pretty solid hookers for that price.

Next thing I'm hyped about is that new Joe Budden album. Wake me up when 2016 happens.

I feel bad since you hyped up the conference in here and you ended up going #skipyear.

Best choice. I had chose the same exact configuration. Did you pick up anything else?
I feel bad since you hyped up the conference in here and you ended up going #skipyear.
at least the topic title was right lol

For real though I'm fiending an android phone. Just deciding what and not paying more than 400 for something I will use for less than a year.

NomarTyme

No not yet. I just ordered as quick as possible. Thinking getting the Nexus protection plan which seems reasonably priced.

at least the topic title was right lol

For real though I'm fiending an android phone. Just deciding what and not paying more than 400 for something I will use for less than a year.
Bite the bullet and get a large phone. It's the future.
No not yet. I just ordered as quick as possible. Thinking getting the Nexus protection plan which seems reasonably priced.

I got the Nexus Protection program. It's too good of a deal to pass up.

NotBacon

What are the chances that the camera on the 6P is actually above average?
0. The Google camera software sucks.

http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Google-Nexus-6P-review-Serious-contender-for-mobile-photography
gpvVfPE.png

r73VJe3.gif

XBP

Does google charge you immediately when you pre-order a phone or do they charge you when the phone is shipped? Really want to get a 128GB nexus but if the reviews aren't great I want to cancel my order before it ships.

Salex_

Just read into Project Fi today, this seems amazing. Sent a request and instantly got an invite. I checked the coverage and i'll have 4G LTE coverage in every city I'll go to in Florida. I think i'll try it out next month.

Anyone pre-ordered the Nexus 6P in the last hour (specifically the 64GB model)? If so, what's the estimated shipping date? Pre-ordered the 32GB model, but I think I'll switch to 64GB.

I bet the motor x pure hate is overblown. Probably a great phone for the price.

It's a great phone. Some people just lashed on to a handful of negative impressions (bad unit, too big, or low-light not good enough for them) and ran with it. My only problem with it is the average battery life. I can get through the day, and the turbo charger is AMAZING, but it would be nice if I didn't even have to think about my battery dying from morning to night.

nevah. I'll inch my way there worst case scenario.
I'm sure your dream, puny Android phone will materialize soon, eventually, at some point in time, in the near future. Don't stop believing!

Seriously though, it sucks that the 5X is so expensive outside of the US. I know you were looking forward to it, but those prices are ridiculous.

I'm sure your dream, puny Android phone will materialize soon, eventually, at some point in time, in the near future. Don't stop believing!

Seriously though, it sucks that the 5X is so expensive outside of the US. I know you were looking forward to it, but those prices are ridiculous.
I feel it. 2017 is the year lol. Until then I'll grab the moto or nothing. I hope we get a sales breakdown of 6P vs 5X for big lulz later. I don't know why companies insist on smaller phones despite the evidence consistently showing that the smaller ones outsell the bigger counterparts by a huge margine every damn time.

Is Nexus Protect only obtainable when you first order the phone? I like Motorola's way of giving you up to 30 days to buy MotoCare. Heck, I think Apple is even more generous with their timetable for purchase!

Jzero

My Chromecast shipped already :D

I chose the free 7-10 day shipping and it's getting delivered tomorrow Hahaha

Just read into Project Fi today, this seems amazing. Sent a request and instantly got an invite. I checked the coverage and i'll have 4G LTE coverage in every city I'll go to in Florida. I think i'll try it out next month.

Anyone pre-ordered the Nexus 6P in the last hour (specifically the 64GB model)? If so, what's the estimated shipping date? Pre-ordered the 32GB model, but I think I'll switch to 64GB.

It's a great phone. Some people just lashed on to a handful of negative impressions (bad unit, too big, or low-light not good enough for them) and ran with it. My only problem with it is the average battery life. I can get through the day, and the turbo charger is AMAZING, but it would be nice if I didn't even have to think about my battery dying from morning to night.
Sounds cool and you could pay monthly towards nexus 6p on it which wouldn't be too bad.

teiresias

Definitely holding off until we know more about the Band 12 issue on TMobile. That sucks.

Google Fi is interesting, but I'm fine with the T-Mobile $30 plan at the moment, and I'm very confused about what would happen with my Google Voice number if I were to go Google Fi - apparently you are required to port it into Fi or something and lose Google Voice forever or something like that.

hitgirl

Seems like a lot of people outside the US are souring the device itself, I can understand the frustration though. The two devices strike a pretty good mix between every day needs / luxury power user. Sort of reminds me of the auto industry; Toyota/Lexus Nissan/Infinity. The 5x has the modern features that make it a good device for the average user who needs an appliance, while the 6P i straight luxury and will be good for people who use their phone a lot.

Seems like a lot of people outside the US are souring the device itself, I can understand the frustration though. The two devices strike a pretty good mix between every day needs / luxury power user. Sort of reminds me of the auto industry; Toyota/Lexus Nissan/Infinity. The 5x has the modern features that make it a good device for the average user who needs an appliance, while the 6P i straight luxury and will be good for people who use their phone a lot.

For what you're getting with the 6P, I feel like a starting price of $499 actually is very much in line with the Nexus pricing approach. It feels like an immense value considering what the Note 5 and the 6s Plus currently go for.

The Nexus 6 price, on the other hand, seemed completely outrageous from the get-go. To me, the 6P pricing seems like a return to form for Google. It's what I would expect a Nexus phablet to cost.

I definitely was hoping for more from the 5X, though. I can agree that it appears to be a big disappointment in most respects.

I can't speak for non-US pricing, though. Might not be nearly as good of a value in other countries. I wouldn't know.

Reckoner

I feel it. 2017 is the year lol. Until then I'll grab the moto or nothing. I hope we get a sales breakdown of 6P vs 5X for big lulz later. I don't know why companies insist on smaller phones despite the evidence consistently showing that the smaller ones outsell the bigger counterparts by a huge margine every damn time.

Btw Pyro, don't you already have an iPhone 6?

For what you're getting with the 6P, I feel like a starting price of $499 actually is very much in line with the Nexus pricing approach. It feels like an immense value considering what the Note 5 and the 6s Plus currently go for.

The Nexus 6 price, on the other hand, seemed completely outrageous from the get-go. So the 6P pricing seems like a return to form for Google. It's what I would expect a Nexus phablet to cost.

I can't speak for non-US pricing, though. Might not be nearly as good of a value in other countries. I wouldn't know.

It's a terrible value here in Europe. It was the same with the Nexus 6. I payed 700 euros for mine - huge mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom