• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jzero

I thought this new 'what's on' feature in the chromecast update was going to bring in all my subscriptions and likes from various services. But instead just shows me random stuff I couldn't care less about. Wackola.

Have you searched for anything after th uepdate? i doubt it will guess what you like before you search.

I'd ask Legere. I don't trust the guy that runs T-Mobile's twitter account.

T-Mobile justs asks that they get the phone certified to run on their network. It's not that they don't support them. I actually get band 12 fine on my OP2, just no wifi calling.

so what happens if you have an emergency and need to call 911?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What's really not good is no 32GB white 6P. That's an extra $50 I didn't want to spend. Weak.

Lunar FC

Have you searched for anything after th uepdate? i doubt it will guess what you like before you search.

Yeah, I just kind of expected that it was going to pull in my youtube subscriptions and videos off 'my list' in Netflix etc. But I'm sure the searches well eventually be tailored to me, that is the google way.

No clue. I've never had to call 911 on my phone. I did receive and make calls on band 12 though.

you may want to doublecheck that. Tmo doesn't support regular calling on band 12, the device has to support VoLTE. what happens is if there's another signal, the phone will switch to it or drop to 2g/3g if available. however, because band 12 has good penetration, in certain places in the coverage area you may have only a band 12 LTE signal and no other and you won't be able to call/text, not even 911, because ... oops, no Band 12 VoLTE. that's why other companies pull band 12 support and try to add VoLTE. it's not safe. but hey, what can you expect from OnePlus.

you may want to doublecheck that. Tmo doesn't support regular calling on band 12, the device has to support VoLTE. what happens is if there's another signal, the phone will switch to it or drop to 2g/3g if available. however, because band 12 has good penetration, in certain places in the coverage area you may have only a band 12 LTE signal and no other and you won't be able to call/text, not even 911, because ... oops, no Band 12 VoLTE. that's why other companies pull band 12 support and try to add VoLTE. it's not safe. but hey, what can you expect from OnePlus.

When I was on the call it still showed a T-Mobile LTE connection. Maybe it was using volte. Calls did sound clearer, but I already wrapped the 2 up to return to OP so I can't test it again.

Argyle

Google Fi is interesting, but I'm fine with the T-Mobile $30 plan at the moment, and I'm very confused about what would happen with my Google Voice number if I were to go Google Fi - apparently you are required to port it into Fi or something and lose Google Voice forever or something like that.

Yeah, it's very confusing. I have two numbers in my Google Voice account and I just want to try Project Fi, so I decided to create a brand new Google account and request an invite on that account. That way I get a new phone number (great because Google Voice has never had any phone numbers in my area code) and it doesn't mess with anything on my main account.

Noema

Zenfone 2 looks even better after today. $300 gets you 64 gigs of space and 4 gigs of RAM vs the 5X that's more expensive for less space and RAM.

There's also the new 4GB of RAM 16GB storage $230 SKU. Less storage but you get Micro SD.

Nothing can touch the ZenFone 2 in terms of bang for the buck.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I feel it. 2017 is the year lol. Until then I'll grab the moto or nothing. I hope we get a sales breakdown of 6P vs 5X for big lulz later. I don't know why companies insist on smaller phones despite the evidence consistently showing that the smaller ones outsell the bigger counterparts by a huge margine every damn time.

5.2" is a small phone now!? This is getting crazy.

danthefan

My XperiaZ1 finally got 5.1 and first impression is performance is hugely improved, thankfully.

Haven't gotten into any of the other features yet, anything notable?

co1onel

I'm pretty disappointed about the 5X. The 6P looks really nice, but I don't think I'm willing to use such a massive phone
yet

Hopefully they make a Huawei 5 in. nexus in the future, with a nice aluminum body and better specs. I'll stick with my N5 for now.

tzare

yay, could buy New Chromecast for 30€ thanks to a promo in Spain :)

Nexus 6P seems a really solid device. Can't wait for reviews, won't buy it but hopefully google improves next year based on it :)

So.. 480 € for the 16 GB Nexus 5x? That's ridiculous. Guess, i'll get a Galaxy S6 then. Sorry, Marshmallow.

I feel like Android has matured enough that you don't need the latest updates right away after 5.1.

At least I'm telling that to myself, while I look at non-Nexus devices and think about the software update support.

Phear

I feel like Android has matured enough that you don't need the latest updates right away after 5.1.

At least I'm telling that to myself, while I look at non-Nexus devices and think about the software update support.

I love the Nexus devices and new software is always exciting for me. But if i have to decide between a 480 € Nexus 5X 16 GB or a 400 € Galaxy S6 32 GB... i think, that's an easy decision to make.

Gandalf

My trusty N5 is still going strong. With a choice of the N6P or the Moto X Style for my next phone though... I'm leaning towards the Moto. £100 cheaper with the customisations I want.

I love the Nexus devices and new software is always exciting for me. But if i have to decide between a 480 € Nexus 5X 16 GB or a 400 € Galaxy S6 32 GB... i think, that's an easy decision to make.

It's absolutely understandable. The 5X disappointed me as well and for €400, I'd probably get a Galaxy S6, too. Even if the battery doesn't impress.

Phear

My trusty N5 is still going strong. With a choice of the N6P or the Moto X Style for my next phone though... I'm leaning towards the Moto. £100 cheaper with the customisations I want.

If my N5 hadn't had the pleasure of meeting the asphalt front first 3 days ago, i would've hold onto it for another year.

I really want the 5X, but that EU pricing is ridiculous....

Pachimari

I'm thinking of two options now.

A) Go buy the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge today. Or
B) Buy a super cheap phone now for my vacation and wait until Nexus 6P in Nov/Dec.

So ars tech confirmed that the type c ports on both the 6P and 5X are both USB 3.0, yet all the cables on Google store only support USB 2.0...

What's up with that?

tzare

So ars tech confirmed that the type c ports on both the 6P and 5X are both USB 3.0, yet all the cables on Google store only support USB 2.0...

What's up with that?

this is a fucking mess, this usb type C is just annoying, some are 3.0 others do not, cables are also a lottery. AT least hope those support quickcharging...

wtf it was supposed to be a new standard, not such a mess.

EmiPrime

I just noticed that the Play Music voucher is for new subscribers only and the Play Store credit is for US only. No Nexus Protect either on top of the usual crappy US$ to £ conversion. :/

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's absolutely understandable. The 5X disappointed me as well and for €400, I'd probably get a Galaxy S6, too. Even if the battery doesn't impress.

The battery will be the least of your worries if you get an s6. So glad I will be getting rid of it this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom