• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of considering dumping the T-Mobile $30 plan in order to try out Project Fi.

On the whole, the T-Mo plan is a better value, but the two-network coverage on Fi would definitely be a considerable step up. Also, it would be kind of nice to not have to worry about rationing my voice use anymore.

Also, I could pay off the 6P in installments if I go with Fi. If absolutely necessary I can afford to pay it off in full immediately, but I wouldn't object to spreading out the cost over a few months.

The battery will be the least of your worries if you get an s6. So glad I will be getting rid of it this week.

But... wireless charging... :(

Oh man... Onto the LG G4 now...

Yeah, that seems the to be the only other reasonable option left. Even that one has a mediocre battery, but it should still be acceptable when compared to the Nexus 5 (2013). It annoys me a little that I have to put Qi charging in there, but at least it's possible and I prefer that over not having it at all.

e: Just don't forget to order one with a plastic back. The leather one ages poorly.

4nCCCtw.jpg

Pachimari

The battery will be the least of your worries if you get an s6. So glad I will be getting rid of it this week.
Why is the battery the least of the worries?
Please explain as I thought about getting one today.

e: Just don't forget to order one with a plastic back. The leather one ages poorly.

4nCCCtw.jpg
That's kind of what is also attractive about the leather back. It takes tear and wear sure, but it is attractive. I would say, go for the leather back.

So ars tech confirmed that the type c ports on both the 6P and 5X are both USB 3.0, yet all the cables on Google store only support USB 2.0...

What's up with that?
That is weird. I'm assuming either Google includes 3.0 cables in the box with the phone, or they cheaped out on the cables included. It's Google, so I wouldn't doubt it. Hopefully some journalist or whatever finds out.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
USB C is a mess. It shouldn't be difficult at all. One standard, no variants. I blame One Minus.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Do we have any Project Fi users on GAF?

(I know our number of N6 users is pretty small.)

I just ordered my SIM card this morning. Then I ordered a Nexus 6P. In the past couple weeks I have purchased both a Moto X Pure and an iPhone 6S (I know, I know). Both of those are getting returned before the end of the week.

Admodieus

I just ordered my SIM card this morning. Then I ordered a Nexus 6P. In the past couple weeks I have purchased both a Moto X Pure and an iPhone 6S (I know, I know). Both of those are getting returned before the end of the week.

Wow. I ordered a 6P too, but was it that impressive to you to return both of those devices?

Do you guys know if the US Nexus 6P will function in France?
Hm, charging shouldn't be a problem, as it is charged via USB ... i think the most important thing is to check for the bands your provider is using and comparing them with the US version of the phone.
I think there are differences between the US and the international devices in that regard.

And finally, you need to tell me how to get it from the US for cheap, too!

snacknuts

we all knew her
Wow. I ordered a 6P too, but was it that impressive to you to return both of those devices?

I picked up the iPhone to see if I liked using iOS better than I did since my last iPhone. I didn't. I mostly got the MXP as a stopgap with the intention of replacing it with a Nexus if the battery and camera didn't suck. They both seem to be okay. If that turns out to not be the case, I will send it back and get another MXP (which is a very nice device, but I've always wanted a proper Nexus for Verizon).

Maiar_m

Hm, charging shouldn't be a problem, as it is charged via USB ... i think the most important thing is to check for the bands your provider is using and comparing them with the US version of the phone.
I think there are differences between the US and the international devices in that regard.

And finally, you need to tell me how to get it from the US for cheap, too!

Charging isn't an issue indeed, it's the bands, I can't find the correct data to match them with the US N6P spec sheet. GSM/Edge bands are fine from what I can see, it's the LTE I'm concerned about. I think i'll wait for the price drops then :( too risky

As for the means to import, my employer is a US company, they'd have done the ordering and sending etc...

yyzjohn

Banned
Seems like a lot of Android fans were expecting to come out of Google's announcement disappointed but now the overall consensus seems to be that people are impressed with the new phones. "Nexus line: hope for the best, expect the worst"

I'm so desperate to replace my personal iPhone 5S that I'm starting to consider the 5X. I already have a 6+ as my work phone so I'm not getting two large phones (6P).

Fuck Google.

JoeFu

Banned
Before fully diving into the 6P has the 810 v2.1 really fixed all the throttling and heating issues the OG 810 had? Might wait for reviews before buying... Only thing I'm weary of.

Also I think the 5X will be pretty beefy despite the 2GB of ram. The 808 on a 1080p phone should do really well. I kind of wish the G4 was only 1080p..

Seems like a lot of Android fans were expecting to come out of Google's announcement disappointed but now the overall consensus of Android fans in the US seems to be that people are impressed with the new phones. "Nexus line: hope for the best, expect the worst"
Another fix. As a german Android fan, i'm both disappointed by abscence of the devices (for at least weeks) and the lack of being able to preorder, and disgusted by Googles US-uber-alles-fuck-the-rest-of-the-world price strategy.

And yes, there are some serious dumb hardware decisions going on with the 5X, that (imo) it is in no way an option at all, at least in Europe.

So basically, Google: "What's an Yurop?!?"

yyzjohn

Banned
Another fix. As a german Android fan, i'm both disappointed by abscence of the devices (for at least weeks) and the lack of being able to preorder, and disgusted by Googles US-uber-alles-fuck-the-rest-of-the-world price strategy.

And yes, there are some serious dumb hardware decisions going on with the 5X, that (imo) it is in no way an option at all, at least in Europe.

So basically, Google: "What's an Yurop?!?"

Maybe if Europe stopped with the anti-trust shit against Google. ;-)

j-wood

So I got my project fi invite. Currently on Verizon. I really want to try Fi out, but I live in colorado and if I go to the mountains I don't want to lose service :(

Seems like a lot of Android fans were expecting to come out of Google's announcement disappointed but now the overall consensus seems to be that people are impressed with the new phones. "Nexus line: hope for the best, expect the worst"

It's hard not to be excited about the first Nexus phone with a legitimately great camera. And I'm not even that big of a phone photographer.

Was anyone expecting the 6P's camera to be this good? I sure as hell wasn't.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
But... wireless charging... :(

4nCCCtw.jpg

Swapping out the back is super easy, so it doesn't matter. The black leather also seems to age better.

It's terrible day to day, though.

Yes, yes it is.

Aren't they doing that to manage the battery life with the smaller sized batteries?

The problem is that the aggressive ram management equates to a worse experience every day. For example, apps close unexpectedly, behave weirdly, and of course using the internet is annoying because it reloads like an iPhone. Apps take longer to start, and there is perceptible lag and jank once you start to really load it up with apps. It undoubtedly makes battery life much better, on par with phones that have bigger batteries, but I find the cost too high, and you're coming from pure Android, it's gonna drive you crazy.

clav

Do we have any Project Fi users on GAF?

(I know our number of N6 users is pretty small.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/projectfi

I considered joining but I already have unlimited minutes and data.

If something were to happen to my current plan, then I would join.

There are some issues on how it handles network transitions, which was something that I expected. However, seems like Project Fi is the perfect plan for travelers.

I'm kind of considering dumping the T-Mobile $30 plan in order to try out Project Fi.

On the whole, the T-Mo plan is a better value, but the two-network coverage on Fi would definitely be a considerable step up. Also, it would be kind of nice to not have to worry about rationing my voice use anymore.

Also, I could pay off the 6P in installments if I go with Fi. If absolutely necessary I can afford to pay it off in full immediately, but I wouldn't object to spreading out the cost over a few months.

In my experience as a former longtime T-Mobile user, I think their metropolitan coverage is excellent, but stepping outside of freeways, service becomes non-existent.

I'm not in on the Nexus phone train though as I need to see reviews about Google's implementation of the Snapdragon 810 v2.1. With the recent disastrous Google Wireless Router launch, I'm now skeptical of its product quality control.

Kevyt

How's the Moto G 3rd Gen?

Just got one from Best Buy since my ZF2 decided to not work for some weird reason...

Build quality is solid. Battery is good, but sadly I got the 8gb 1 gb RAM version. I went ahead and ordered from Motorola the 2 GB version and hoping it gets here before the window for returning the Moto G from best buy closes, lol.

I was not a fan of the 720p display but after a couple of minutes you get used to it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/projectfi

I considered joining but I already have unlimited minutes and data.

If something were to happen to my current plan, then I would join.

There are some issues on how it handles network transitions, which was something that I expected. However, seems like Project Fi is the perfect plan for travelers.

In my experience as a former longtime T-Mobile user, I think their metropolitan coverage is excellent, but stepping outside of freeways, service becomes non-existent.

I'm not in on the Nexus phone train though as I need to see reviews about Google's implementation of the Snapdragon 810 v2.1. With the recent disastrous Google Wireless Router launch, I'm now skeptical of its product quality control.

Thanks for the info. At the moment I'm relatively okay with T-Mobile's coverage, but when you're in a bad area you're totally screwed - especially since T-Mo is completely rigid on roaming on their prepaid plans.

And though there are ways around the 100 minutes voice limit on the $30 plan, it has become more of a nuisance than I anticipated. Hangouts VOIP calls can be such a colossal pain in the ass.

Pachimari

I think even the Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 is reloading apps when leaving them and entering, and that haven't bothered me for the past days I have been borrowing it.

clav

Thanks for the info. At the moment I'm relatively okay with T-Mobile's coverage, but when you're in a bad area you're totally screwed - especially since T-Mo is completely rigid on roaming on their prepaid plans.

And though there are ways around the 100 minutes voice limit on the $30 plan, it has become more of a nuisance than I anticipated. Hangouts VOIP calls can be such a colossal pain in the ass.

You could consider joining an AT&T reseller like Cricket or Straight Talk although that means giving up your unlimited data for roughly the same price as Google Fi.

Your coverage would be a lot better though since the direction of the industry seems to favor Verizon and AT&T.

To clarify what I said earlier about travelers, Project Fi would work for people who travel abroad.

Before fully diving into the 6P has the 810 v2.1 really fixed all the throttling and heating issues the OG 810 had? Might wait for reviews before buying... Only thing I'm weary of.

It still has a throttling problem, but unless you're running benchmarks and/or games all day, it's not a deal breaker.

Wish Google would ship these sooner. I hate looking at my Nexus 5 with cracked screen lol.

I hate looking at my Moto X that fell into a coma with a cracked screen.

Just got one from Best Buy since my ZF2 decided to not work for some weird reason...

Build quality is solid. Battery is good, but sadly I got the 8gb 1 gb RAM version. I went ahead and ordered from Motorola the 2 GB version and hoping it gets here before the window for returning the Moto G from best buy closes, lol.

I was not a fan of the 720p display but after a couple of minutes you get used to it.

You were allowed to buy one without getting a plan from BestBuy? I need a replacement phone and the Moto G doesn't ship from Moto until the middle of October. Screw that.

Toki767

Did you know, Swype has a very easy to use trackpad type feature. Comes in very handy.

Two things prevent me from using Swype. It loads incredibly slow because of all the bloat they've attached to it over the years and that Dragon voice detection isn't nearly as quick as Google's built in one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom