• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, Nexus prices in Europe really killed my interest this year. With prices like this I can just get a flagship Samsung (or anything else) and install Cyanogenmod to kill the bloatware.

VoxPop

So 3 voted iPhone 6 and 0 on S6 Edge.

That iPhone design is just super ugly ugh.

It's a lot better in person imo. Also holds far better value than the S6. S6/Note is already trending towards bomba prices. If you can hold out a little longer, you could probably pick up the S6 for dirt cheap. Also that phone has some terrible battery life. I had both for a while and the 6 is clearly the superior phone imo.

Got the invitation to Fi today so I ended up ordering a 32 gig 6P. Excited to upgrade from the HTC One m8 and move on from Verizon and their fucking prices.

edit: I said fuck it, cancelled the order, and am going to order a 64 gig one. Too bad there was no way of changing the order any other way.

Pachimari

It's a lot better in person imo. Also holds far better value than the S6. S6/Note is already trending towards bomba prices. If you can hold out a little longer, you could probably pick up the S6 for dirt cheap. Also that phone has some terrible battery life. I had both for a while and the 6 is clearly the superior phone imo.
I have both in my hand right now, and feel like S6 Edge is far superior in design. But again, it's not all about design. I'll miss that IR blaster if I go iPhone as well. I'm just that way.

I have both in my hand right now, and feel like S6 Edge is far superior in design. But again, it's not all about design. I'll miss that IR blaster if I go iPhone as well. I'm just that way.

So just get it. Don't let another person dictate your decision. Especially if you're more of an android person.

tfur

I ended up caving to the Project Fi temptation.

I am going to Fi my wife, and give her my Nexus 6, and I am doing to Fi myself and get an aluminium N6 for myself.

Looking at our usages, we pay way too much for phone service. I am tmobile and she is verizon. It's either not using enough data to justify the plan size, or overages for texting and voice time. This should more than half our bill. If it does not work out, I will roll us back into tmobile.

Talon

I used an Edge for the last month. I'd vote for the iPhone from a pure device standpoint.

Edge's memory leak issues are real. Also, javascript performance is ass.

reKon

Banned
The Nexus team is currently doing a AMA on reddit .

The USB type C port is 2.0 and they've said they are working hard to get Band 12 enabled on t-mobile by the time the nexuses ship.

The only thing I care about from this:

Question: Why is 16gb still the base model for the Nexus 5x in 2015?

Answer: KK: The idea here was to strike a balance between premium features/experiences and affordability.
EDIT: HL> It’s a conspiracy! MOVE TO THE CLOUD!

Wow, fuck off...

gcubed

The Nexus team is currently doing a AMA on reddit .

The USB type C port is 2.0 and they've said they are working hard to get Band 12 enabled on t-mobile by the time the nexuses ship.

god i hate reading reddit. I wish there was a readable summary afterwards.

SW: It has a Samsung WQHD AMOLED panel. We have spent a lot of time tuning the white-point and color gamut for these panels - hope you will enjoy the accuracy of the display.

PELASE

Still haven't received my email for the 6P I bought. I bought it like 15 minutes after the page went live. Any idea? On my transactions page its status is listed as pending.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

What tv do you have? Maybe there is an app that can control it over WiFi?

Furyous

I'm torn between what to buy:

Stock android with 128 GB of flash storage is one of my dream devices.
The 6P is bigger than my iphone 5, smaller than an iphon 6S+, less thicker than an LG G3, but big as shit.
We talked about the Z5 camera review? Plus, side fingerprint sensor but Sony releases new flagships every six months with international availability.
The 5X is the perfect size but only contains 32 GB of storage.

My iphone 5 is dying a slow death but I refuse to go back to using 32 GB of storage. I can buy either 5X, 6P, or Z5.

HawkeyeIC

The 6P is bigger than my iphone 5, smaller than an iphon 6S+, less thicker than an LG G3, but big as shit.
We talked about the Z5 camera review? Plus, side fingerprint sensor but Sony releases new flagships every six months with international availability.

My iphone 5 is dying a slow death but I refuse to go back to using 32 GB of storage. I can buy either 5X, 6P, or Z5.

I would be all over that Sony if it were coming to the US and I could use their scaled back OS skin. But it's not, so I went with the 6P.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

You have a link to the z5 camera review?

So what Type-C toting devices actually are USB 3? The new Chromebook Pixel, the new Macbook? Is the USB 3.0 version too big too fit into phones or something? At least the 5x and 6p have fast charging. Better than nothing, I guess.

I don't like how Google engineers refused to answer the guy who asked if it was a current gen amoled panel from Samsung or a leftover from last year.

I don't like how Google engineers refused to answer the guy who asked if it was a current gen amoled panel from Samsung or a leftover from last year.

It was a follow-up question and there are currently like 1,200 questions in that AMA.

I wouldn't really expect them to engage in an actual back-and-forth conversation on every single question they've answered.

EmiPrime

It's stuff like that and the poor treatment of EU customers that is pushing me towards a 6S. I like (stock) Android a lot more than iOS and Apple don't treat EU customers particularly well either but Google are taking the piss.

Maiar_m

It's stuff like that and the poor treatment of EU customers that is pushing me towards a 6S. I like (stock) Android a lot more than iOS and Apple don't treat EU customers particularly well either but Google are taking the piss.

I really don't like iOS, but so true.

See below.

It was a follow-up question and there are currently like 1,200 questions in that AMA.

I wouldn't really expect them to engage in an actual back-and-forth conversation on every single question they've answered.

Exactly. If you go through, they didn't really respond to many, if any, follow up questions, and that's par for the course for 99% of AMAs.

Once reviewers get their hands on the devices, we will find out very quickly. It was reassuring to hear them say they actually calibrated the display, though.

Other great takeaways:

1. They plan to get Band 12 certification by ship date, as others mentioned.
2. They saw the DxoMark rating, and confirmed they are working on improving the video stabilization, in particular.
3. In addition to the pixel size minimizing motion blur, the camera also takes three pictures, instead of one, and picks the best one with the clearest image.
4. They confirmed they are using Sony's IMX377 sensor, which is a sensor actually meant for use in a full-fledged digital camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom