• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How is it trolling? It's legit the best poor person phone rn and it's why I need a new phone. Otherwise, I'd keep my 6.

The Nexus 6 hate is unbearable. I think people are salty because of how lackluster the Nexus 5X ended up being. Nexus 6 at $350 outmatches pretty much anything I can think of around that price point, especially since the Moto X Pure sounds more and more lackluster from what I've heard about it.

Talon

I turned Google Now back on to see if it had changed recently:

Good job Sundar, well done on making Google Now worse. Only one card visible on a 1080p screen, that takes some doing.

Google Now always been garbage. It had promise originally but all it really is is a glorified package tracker and a list of click bait links.
They ripped the Google Now team out of Android and tucked them under search. So desired effect, I suppose.

SimleuqiR

Your trolling is reaching levels of sublime

trumpfaces.gif

Reminds me of someone.

Articalys

For Americans (i.e. setting aside the international pricing issues), does the 5X on its own merits actually have problems, or is it just a bit underpowered for its price given the rest of the current Android market?

People still buying the N6 in October.

:jnc

I'm coming from a 2013 moto x so I think I'll be fine.

I don't really give a fuck about processors or playing phone games I am just annoyed with the lollipop issues on my current phone and the n6 is at a good price.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
For Americans (i.e. setting aside the international pricing issues), does the 5X on its own merits actually have problems, or is it just a bit underpowered for its price given the rest of the current Android market?
It's last year's phone at a miserable price. It's a phone for hipsters.

kinggroin

Banned
You really think you're as good at trolling as Donald Trump? That's quite the ego you have there

He wasn't the original troll...

And AJ is right. The hate for the 6 is retarded given the price and what else competes at that range. So what if its last year's device. Had the 6p not been as promising as it has, the 6 would have been fantastic for another year with M.

I think AJ is right. Being poor is making people resent the choices they have in the face of what they COULD have had.

amoled--better blacks, more saturated colors, overall just beautiful

lcd--generally more realistic colors, cheaper for oem, best ones are just as beautiful as amoled if calibrated

i prefer amoled but some don't because they have a history of not being very color accurate even if they look gorgeous.

I like OLED tech far more myself, but more saturation is NOT an inherent property of the tech. That's the result of manufactures driving the panel saturation too hard to give it more wow factor to those who don't care about accuracy.

The Nexus 6 hate is unbearable. I think people are salty because of how lackluster the Nexus 5X ended up being. Nexus 6 at $350 outmatches pretty much anything I can think of around that price point, especially since the Moto X Pure sounds more and more lackluster from what I've heard about it.

I guess at $350 the Nexus 6 would be alright.

It's a rough phone on Lollipop, though, through and through. I've had mine since launch, and I'm dying to get rid of it.

Bboy AJ

It's a rough phone on Lollipop, though, through and through. I've had mine since launch, and I'm dying to get rid of it.
It's excellent on M3. Excellent. I guess we can see how the final build turns out but the 6 is a fantastic phone on M3.

I really hope they ship earlier. 6P is gonna be magical.
*shudders in anticipation*
at least you have something. i've fallen so hard for that pixel c and all i have is the minute or so they showed it off onstage and the handful of hands-on videos that all go over the exact same stuff and don't really show how well the device flows.
I know how much suffering you go through with so little information. I feel your pain.

kinggroin

Banned

Bro I feel you.

If its any consolation, the N5 was horrible on it too. Lollipop was just a mess with wakelocks, Google services glitches , and lots of growing pains to get to M.

But yeah, as of M3, the N6 has been a dream to use outside of shit that's just Google being shitty (hangouts sucks etc)

Sky Chief

The Nexus 6 is the best phone I've ever had. Sure it has its quirks and annoyances but that huge screen, stereo speakers, and pure Android make up for all that. At $350 it's a steal. It's definitely a better phone than the N5 which was my previous favorite but had lacking battery, camera, speakers, and build quality.

Cannot wait for my 6P though, that thing looks incredible.

Bboy AJ

The only reason to get a 5X over a 6 is because you don't like big phones. Fingerprint maybe. Not worth the other N6 trade offs, though.

SimleuqiR

*shudders in anticipation*

I know how much suffering you go through with so little information. I feel your pain.

Here is the full review of the 6P camera:

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/6879969771/dxomark-mobile-report-google-nexus-6p

My apologies if this post is another "nobody reads"

Overall DxOMark awarded the Google Nexus 6P scores of:

4.5 out of 5 for Exposure
4.4 out of 5 for White Balance accuracy
3.5 out of 5 for Color shading in low light*
4.5 out of 5 for Color shading in bright light*
3.0 out of 5 for Color Rendering in low light
4.5 out of 5 for Color Rendering in bright light

2 things

1) Motorola's camera app is both great and horrible. It's great because it's simple and it's horrible because who on earth thought dragging the focus target (if you enable it) is better than tap to focus. PLS.

2) the battery on the x play is stupidly bonkers.

i dont get why anyone would choose the 5X over the 6.

the 6P is a solid deal..
shits huge

Articalys

What's the best site to quickly compare basic specs (physical dimensions, screen resolution, supported bands, etc.) for multiple phones at once?

Jello effect on a camera in late 2015, way to go Google.

Things aren't so peachy over in your perfect iPhone 6S thread either.

Multiple people complaining about freezes and whatnot. On an iPhone. But, ya know, Android is all jank.

You seem to troll this thread so hard.

Wreav

Banned
Things aren't so peachy over in your perfect iPhone 6S thread either.

Multiple people complaining about freezes and whatnot. On an iPhone. But, ya know, Android is all jank.

You seem to troll this thread so hard.

What you call trolling I call constant disappointment in a platform that can't get its shit together.

6S has been phenomenal, the freezing is some weird software bug that seems to have been fixed in the latest beta.

What you call trolling I call constant disappointment in a platform that can't get its shit together.

6S has been phenomenal, the freezing is some weird software bug that seems to have been fixed in the latest beta.
To be honest that sounds a lot like iOS to me. Despite having a public beta this year iOS9 has turned out to be a huge POS update which kind of shows they learned nothing from iOS8's launch which didn't learn from iOS7. I mean god damn the iPhone 6S and iOS9 threads are filled with people complaining about issues and inconsistent performance issues galore. We'll have to wait until Android M officially launches to compare them, but I don't believe the M beta is suffering from any major issues at the moment.

I mean yeah the iPhone 6S is awesome hardware, but Apple continues to fail at producing good software and given their past track record the future isn't promising.

i dont get why anyone would choose the 5X over the 6.

the 6P is a solid deal..

The 6 is objectively not a good phone. It's amazingly less than the sum of it's parts because of the widely criticized screen and also the lousy camera and underwhelming battery life.

No one would choose the 5X over the 6 but no one would choose the 6 over the 6P either.

You're right in that Android gets it wrong a lot. It still has more right with it than iOS.

I'm sure it's a great phone. In fact, my son's Sony Xperia Z3V has been crapping out on him so I got him a 6S+ because of stability. Then I read all of the issues that iOS 9 has and I'm kind of mad.

Either way, perhaps dial back the trolling. You seem to generally have experience and some level of enjoyment with Android, so, why troll? Got stock in Apple? ;-)

OnePlus seems to be the only o e to have conquered the 810 beast. Hopefully the 6P takes care of it too. Engadget said good things in their preview.

Massa

Eh, no platform is perfect. Just today I was smh at Safari still not being able to print a page to pdf.

JBuccCP

I really want to love this Galaxy S6 I've got. The build quality is outstanding, as is the camera. Going from a Nexus 5 camera to this is like getting a new pair of glasses. The home button camera shortcut is also brilliant.

But then I sit here and do this nerd thing I do when I get a new phone where I compare it's speed and responsiveness to my old one. And my two year old Nexus 5 is consistently opening apps and loading webpages faster. And I'm saying to myself, no, this cant be right. A two year old midrange $350 phone can't be faster than a modern $600+ phone (OK I got it for $430 from the monoprice sale but whatever). But no matter how many times I clear out apps the Nexus is faster. Not by an immense amount, just a half second. But come on, this is supposed to be a flagship. In benchmarks it probably smokes the old snapdragon chip in the Nexus 5. It just doesn't translate to real world use. And then there's the absurdly aggressive ram clearing for a phone with 3gb. I left ios to get away from having constantly refreshing web pages.

All of this is maybe nitpicky, stuff you probably wouldn't notice if you didn't compare side by side. But with the 6P coming out, if the camera on it is in the ballpark with the S6 it's looking like a no brainer to return this and get a 6P.

Wreav

Banned
That's the S6 in a nutshell. Fantastic on paper and in about half of its features, but falls infuriatingly short the other half of the time.

JBuccCP

That's the S6 in a nutshell. Fantastic on paper and in about half of its features, but falls infuriatingly short the other half of the time.
I guess so. I almost want to keep it just for the camera. The app is so much better than Google's.

I really want to love this Galaxy S6 I've got. The build quality is outstanding, as is the camera. Going from a Nexus 5 camera to this is like getting a new pair of glasses. The home button camera shortcut is also brilliant.

But then I sit here and do this nerd thing I do when I get a new phone where I compare it's speed and responsiveness to my old one. And my two year old Nexus 5 is consistently opening apps and loading webpages faster. And I'm saying to myself, no, this cant be right. A two year old midrange $350 phone can't be faster than a modern $600+ phone (OK I got it for $430 from the monoprice sale but whatever). But no matter how many times I clear out apps the Nexus is faster. Not by an immense amount, just a half second. But come on, this is supposed to be a flagship. In benchmarks it probably smokes the old snapdragon chip in the Nexus 5. It just doesn't translate to real world use. And then there's the absurdly aggressive ram clearing for a phone with 3gb. I left ios to get away from having constantly refreshing web pages.

All of this is maybe nitpicky, stuff you probably wouldn't notice if you didn't compare side by side. But with the 6P coming out, if the camera on it is in the ballpark with the S6 it's looking like a no brainer to return this and get a 6P.

If launching apps faster is the most important thing for you in a phone, you should merge back into the iWay

that's why I think benchmarks are stupid

snacknuts

we all knew her

A Google Play Edition of the S6 would be an incredible phone. I gave mine to my wife and went back to my G2 while I wait for my 6P to get here. There hasn't really been a performance drop off apart from the camera.

More impressions on the X Play:

It runs great, it loads web pages fast, apps open fast, pretty much runs like a nexus 5 I'd say. There is some stutter if it's loading a website that is extremely graphics heavy for a bit until the page loads. Other than that I don't really notice any lag. I tried opening and switching through a bunch of apps and it was good. Some of the games reloaded (dat 2gb ram).

Battery life is of course absolutely ridiculous. 3650mah battery powering a 1080p screen will do that. Like it's really insane battery life. The device is big. The biggest phone I've ever owned. I think I'm ok with the size TBH but I'd find it really difficult to go any bigger for my hand size.

The turbo charger that came packed in is pretty good. It went from 14% to 100% in less than 2 hours. For a battery this huge that's pretty impressive I'd say.

Display is good. Not S6 good of course but it's good. No complaints.

Camera seems hit or miss in low light, good otherwise. Big improvement over previous moto phones but still lots of room for improvement. Especially the the app itself.

Defnitely a phone anyone can use for the duration of the year and probably most if not all of 2016 and be happy. Now I wait until I use my upgrade next year on something more high end but I know it's going to be hard to let go of this battery. Hopefully someone delivers.

Side note: google REALLY needs to set a standard for app icons. This shit is ridiculously ugly.

Bboy AJ

Everyone loves Samsung phones until we use them for more than a week. Don't buy them. They're bad. Good on paper, poor in practice.

Return it and go for the 6P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom