• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrokai

Is there any way I'd ever fill 32 GB without storing photos or videos? Real wish there was an SD card expansion :(

Also, anything but the 32 GB is out of stock.

Seriously can't decide between the Moto X Pure Edition and Nexus 6P.

Do I want to spend $100 more and sacrifice customization and expandable storage in exchange for:

-a finger print reader
-slightly faster
-better camera
-for sure updates

Huawei is legit, right? Am I missing anything?
it's in the thread title

Is there any way I'd ever fill 32 GB without storing photos or videos? Real wish there was an SD card expansion :(

Also, anything but the 32 GB is out of stock.
depends how many you take but that's what google photos is for. Upload them there.

Pyrokai

it's in the thread title

depends how many you take but that's what google photos is for. Upload them there.

Cool, thanks. I actually don't understand the thread title. It's either Huawei or Apple, I'm guessing? :p

Does Googke charge you immediately or when it ships, like Amazon? I'm one click away from ordering.....staring at my $499 price tag.....0_o

Cool, thanks. I actually don't understand the thread title. It's either Huawei or Apple, I'm guessing? :p

Does Googke charge you immediately or when it ships, like Amazon? I'm one click away from ordering.....staring at my $499 price tag.....0_o
just click on it gaddamn brah

and it's also a reference to a song :p And yes they won't charge till it ships. Worse case scenario you'll see a placeholder on your card.

KiKaL

I ordered a 6P and signed up for Google Fi. In the e-mail, it said I would receive a 50% off code for a case when the 6P shipped. No e-mail with a code yet.

Ashes

Banned
Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi appears all set to launch the anticipated Mi 5 as early as next week. The new smartphone would be the successor to last year's flagship Mi 4.

The company has started sending out invites for a launch event for 19 October where the Xiaomi Mi 5 is finally expected to make its first public appearance. The invite has also been uploaded to Chinese social network Weibo.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/xiaomi-mi5-likely-be-launched-soon-1523602

Saiyan-Rox

They take a hold on the money right away which will last for about 3-5 days then the money goes back in until shipping.

Kevyt

Okay, I'm returning the Moto X Pure and getting the Nexus 6P.

Meanwhile I'm getting a $35 phone from Cricket...

This 3 (or four?) week wait is going to be terrible. Absolutely terrible with a $35 potato phone.

Will it be worth the wait?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
My X Play arrived today, I'm kinda blown away. Coming from a Nex 4.

Display is amazing, the whole thing feels and looks really good despite me choosing a colorful blue/orange combination. Everything runs fine so far, the Moto apps are kinda nice and not intrusive at all, and the speaker quality/volume is pretty solid.

Also, it has a FM Radio woo.

Just toyed around and installing stuff so far, but this might actually be way better than I thought it would be. Wonder how great that battery really is, will report on that.

Hasney

I wonder what kind of pricing the S7/Note 6 will go for at launch. There's no way they try to emulate the same thing right? Right?

It clearly didn't work lol. I hope you guys know that recently at all carriers there was a big sale on S6 devices and it was a SAMSUNG FUNDED sale. Meaning they paid the difference to the carriers for every sale.

Huh, my girlfriend just got one of those cheap ass S6's. Free with 2 year £35 a month contract, so nuts that it's Samsung funded, thought they'd just be clearing out stock from the carrier warehouses.

I wonder what kind of pricing the S7/Note 6 will go for at launch. There's no way they try to emulate the same thing right? Right?

It clearly didn't work lol. I hope you guys know that recently at all carriers there was a big sale on S6 devices and it was a SAMSUNG FUNDED sale. Meaning they paid the difference to the carriers for every sale.

did they stop shipping Note 4s to Canada too? i know people in the US mentioned that they couldn't get them from carriers and some people even got a Note 5 instead of a Note 4 after an insurance claim on their broken screen etc...

Huh, my girlfriend just got one of those cheap ass S6's. Free with 2 year £35 a month contract, so nuts that it's Samsung funded, thought they'd just be clearing out stock from the carrier warehouses.
that's what I thought until someone asked in one of my meetings why the hell they're discounting the s6 and edge so often and so much lately and the answer was samsung is funding it accross the board. It ended a short bit ago.

did they stop shipping Note 4s to Canada too? i know people in the US mentioned that they couldn't get them from carriers and some people even got a Note 5 instead of a Note 4 after an insurance claim on their broken screen etc...
No idea if they stopped but the carriers here are still selling them. Discounted though. Maybe trying to burn through the last stock.

HawkeyeIC

I was hoping backup would work right when M released, but it looks like it's going to be a while for developers to get on board:

There is a qualification to get an app up and running on the new backup system: they have to "target API version 23."

The results, as of October 10, 2015: of the top 200 third-party, non-game apps, 190 targeted API 22 or lower and thus won't work on the new backup system. Of the remaining ten, six opted out of the Auto Backup system with the "android:allowBackup="false"" flag. Of the remaining four apps, one instantly crashed on our Marshmallow device.

So out of the top 200 apps, our three unicorn apps are (drumroll please): Instagram, Dubsmash, and Zedge Ringtones & Wallpapers. If you're looking for percentages: five percent of the top 200 apps support API 23, with one-and-a-half percent actually working with the backup system.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...kup-for-apps-perfect-data-backup-for-the-1-5/

EmiPrime

That explains a lot. I think once developers start supporting it, backups on Android will be better than iOS backups as phone images can cause issues especially when restoring to a different phone but it's going to take several months.

Wreav

Banned
Ars confirming Apple's 2-3% discrepancy claims. Sorry, brehs, no #chipgate this year.

Still the year of shitty SoCs. Come on 2016, can't wait to see the 820 ultrasonic biometrics vs the A10's in-glass fingerprint reading.

Reckoner

Ars confirming Apple's 2-3% discrepancy claims. Sorry, brehs, no #chipgate this year.

Still the year of shitty SoCs. Come on 2016, can't wait to see the 820 ultrasonic biometrics vs the A10's in-glass fingerprint reading.

The Year of Sapphire

I wonder which manufacturers will cheap out and which won't for 2016 flagships. I wonder if they'll put in that synaptics shit for 3D touch in advance of google producing the APIs so their phones are ready for it. Hope they doooo.

But yeah next years flagships are going to be a big jump. And by big jump I pretty much just mean samsung for hardware. I don't trust the rest to include the latest and greatest.

HawkeyeIC

I wonder which manufacturers will cheap out and which won't for 2016 flagships. I wonder if they'll put in that synaptics shit for 3D touch in advance of google producing the APIs so their phones are ready for it. Hope they doooo.

But yeah next years flagships are going to be a big jump. And by big jump I pretty much just mean samsung for hardware. I don't trust the rest to include the latest and greatest.

If Samsung fixes the S7 battery, I'll buy one in the October 2016 fire sale.

Got a Moto x 2014 as a temporary phone, and man, I'm loving it so far! I might not even get the phone I wanted, because so far, I'm satisfied.

Wreav

Banned

I don't think anyone will dick with synaptics until a Nexus has it, honestly.

All I want for christmas is for Hangouts to be good.

Better ask Santa for an iPhone, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom