• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benchmarks are a great way of seeing performance differences between phones from year to year. Also, usually the higher the number the better performance you have in games and general os performance.
My G2 with a snapdragon 801 handles the OS interaction without a hiccup. Maybe fps in games can be tracked by benches but all games I have ever thrown at thw G2 worked flawlessly. I have never noticed frame drops in games I think the only thing mobile benches are good for is comparing soc performance, for general everyday use case performance I think soc benches are pointless pay more attention to the Nand benchmarks.

tzare

My G2 with a snapdragon 801 handles the OS interaction without a hiccup. Maybe fps in games can be tracked by benches but all games I have ever thrown at thw G2 worked flawlessly. I have never noticed frame drops in games I think the only thing mobile benches are good for is comparing soc performance, for general everyday use case performance I think soc benches are pointless pay more attention to the Nand benchmarks.

i think we haven't had substantial improvements since SD800. Yes, 805 and further seem to have a better GPU to handle 2K resolution screens, but that's it. And we all know what happened this year with qualcomm high end soc.

Hopefully next year the improvements will be noticeable, now that 2K is more common, and even if no real performance imrovements, at least more efficent socs may be available

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
i think we haven't had substantial improvements since SD800. Yes, 805 and further seem to have a better GPU to handle 2K resolution screens, but that's it. And we all know what happened this year with qualcomm high end soc.

Hopefully next year the improvements will be noticeable, now that 2K is more common, and even if no real performance imrovements, at least more efficent socs may be available

How much more noticeable can things get? When I type a reply on GAF the words appear. When I hit play a song starts. When I open gmail all my email appears.

For everyday tasks we are at the point where fractions of a second would be the difference, and honestly most people won't even know the difference outside of games or some random web shit that's poorly optimized.

Hasney

How much more noticeable can things get? When I type a reply on GAF the words appear. When I hit play a song starts. When I open gmail all my email appears.

For everyday tasks we are at the point where fractions of a second would be the difference, and honestly most people won't even know the difference outside of games or some random web shit that's poorly optimized.

Yup, CPU right now is barely noticable except for the piss-poor 810 where things can get stuttery as it throttles down. Those that have pre-throttled 810's that don't keep stepping down have much better real world performance.

Storage speeds will be the most noticeable. The NANDs in the S6 and especially the iPhone 6S+ I've used make everything much snappier than a CPU upgrade could ever achieve.

Wreav

Banned
Cell phones are basically where computers were 2 years ago...CPUs have, for the most part, topped out for practical purposes, and switching to flash storage is reaping the biggest gains.

Every morning I wake up and check up 6.0 on my Nexus 7. So far no dice. :(

Nothing on my N5 either. But it's only been a week. I'd give it another one before I start getting nervous.
I got mine OTA a little while ago but that was for a nex9.

Cell phones are basically where computers were 2 years ago...CPUs have, for the most part, topped out for practical purposes, and switching to flash storage is reaping the biggest gains.
Yeah every day performance carries negligble differences. Nowadays the differentiators will be efficiency and features (like quickcharge 3.0). Also other things.

kami_sama

I hope phones make the move to at least eMMC 5.0 next year. It's going to like the change from a HDD to an SSD.

Also, I've already received the tracking information about my OPT! I thought I was going to wait at least one week until it shipped.

Hasney

Wow I could not roll my eyes any further back in my head:

LG has gone for it's own payment system and applied in only two countries. Be as much of a "worldwide launch" as all the other NFC payment shit.

Get ready for Moto Pay, Xperipay and Huapay soon. HTC will probably go with Pear Pay.

Hasney

It's funny how progress can slow when you have 300 million + people to support.

While kind of true, I got my first chip and pin card in 2003 (trial area) and all the machines could support both chip and pin and swipe/sign anyway. Even if you go by the nationwide launch date of 2006, it's pretty much the most feet-draggingy process.

I mean, I think China has even had it for a while.

Reckoner

Everything is at least chip and pin now, contactless NFC on the card seems to be in the majority of places now too, bar a couple of supermarket holdouts seemingly.

We use nfc everywhere except to pay. I wonder when we're moving forward... Damn, afaik we were the first country to have atms available.

kami_sama

I'm in Portugal and I still use a card swipe. How is it in the UK?

Right now there's two ways to pay without swiping.
One is Chip and Pin, you put the card inside the machine, with the pin forward and put you pin in the keyboard.
The other is Contacless Payments, instead of putting the card inside the machine, you simply put it close, like NFC. And then use the keyboard to input your pin. Here in Spain, if the amount is less than 20€, there's no need for the pin.

Hasney

Right now there's two ways to pay without swiping.
One is Chip and Pin, you put the card inside the machine, with the pin forward and put you pin in the keyboard.
The other is Contacless Payments, instead of putting the card inside the machine, you simply put it close, like NFC. And then use the keyboard to input your pin. Here in Spain, if the amount is less than 20€, there's no need for the pin.

Oh nice. We don't have the second option, it just has to be under £20 (soon to be £30) and it goes through. If it's above, we have to use chip and pin.

Yeah Canada is also advanced on that shit. You'd be hard pressed to find people who don't tap their cards to pay. At most we'll insert the chip.

Aint nobody swiping anything.

I just want an android manufacturer to come out with some big swag at their event. None of this trying too hard. Samsung need to come out and be all:

Apple gettin' dugout like where all the fuckin' players sit
And like you just got traded you don't know who you're playin' with
Oh yeah, oh yeah, my phone is what up right now
I've been down, but I'm up right now
Samsung been backstrokin' and breaststrokin'
Through that lane that you left open
Man I don't give a fuck right now

and the CEO needs to come out to King of Everything by Wiz Khalifa. Instead of all this trying too hard to be apple and even having your own faux jony ive.

SimleuqiR

I genuinely cannot remember the last time I swiped my card. Must have been about 10 years ago.

That's around the time when US Retailers and Banks decided they didn't want to upgrade any of the terminals hardware or chips on our cards. It took the Target data breach fiasco to get the ball running.

Ironically, the CEO of Target was one of the ones pushing NOT to invest in the upgrade ten years ago.

Wreav

Banned
Yep, that's true, Target and Home Depot are the main offenders that got this train on the move.

I went to my local little donut shop on Saturday and they had a new chip terminal, and complained the whole time about how long it was taking.

Ashes

Banned
Yep, that's true, Target and Home Depot are the main offenders that got this train on the move.

I went to my local little donut shop on Saturday and they had a new chip terminal, and complained the whole time about how long it was taking.

Which one of these stores deals with more consumers (read commuters) than Waterloo Station, London, at rush hour?

Ashes

Banned
I'll assume that's tap and pay, which is way faster than inserting a chip.

Oyster top up's are chip & pin. Nearly a hundred million pass through Waterloo, iirc, in a year. Not everyone is so organised.

Edit: to clarify yes, we can use contactless bank cards, like oyster cards (which are like e-travel cards, kinda), at the gates.

ramuh

Picked up Moto X Pure this weekend. No problem cutting down my micro sim to nano. (straight talk)

I really like the phone! It's a little heavier than i thought it would be but overall a great buy.

Kevyt

Picked up Moto X Pure this weekend. No problem cutting down my micro sim to nano. (straight talk)

I really like the phone! It's a little heavier than i thought it would be but overall a great buy.

Hopefully you don't experience overheating issues

SimleuqiR

So today's the day, right guys? When the Nexus 5X and 6P start shipping out?

Right guys?

Guys?

Processing (1-2 business days)

I expect if they are going to start shipping it will be tomorrow.
Maybe they will start doing so later today and those with overnight shipping will have the units in their hands by tomorrow (10/14). Which coincides with the Sprint leak.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I hope the 6P is as good or better than the 5. I regret getting rid of my N5 and want back on the pure Android train. I COULD put my preorder in now, but it'll be at least a month before I get one, ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom