• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL at people who think big phones can't be used with one hand.

Seriously, Steve Jobs is gone and even Apple is making big phones now.

Right, right. I forgot.

c6Dwnf6.png

OINRylk.jpg

So elegant. It's almost beautiful.

Maiar_m

There is nothing ergonomic about bigger phones, Steve Jobs or not: it's inconvenient in pockets, where it's bound to spend most of its life, and it is unwieldy - a stretch even for larger hands when you need to reach that far-away corner. Some people are fine with the compromise and that's all good, but there is nothing objectively *better* about bigger phones. They just cater to a subset of consumers for whom the hindrance of their size is minimal (women and their handbags being a prime target).

Ashes

Banned
There is nothing ergonomic about bigger phones, Steve Jobs or not: it's inconvenient in pockets, where it's bound to spend most of its life, and it is unwieldy - a stretch even for larger hands when you need to reach that far-away corner. Some people are fine with the compromise and that's all good, but there is nothing objectively *better* about bigger phones. They just cater to a subset of consumers for whom the hindrance of their size is minimal (women and their handbags being a prime target).

Specs? Usually the phablets are better specced brother. And I'm for the right sized phone side [hint: not phablets]

jwk94

If you don't want a big phone why are you looking at the X Pure? The Nexus 6 is only about .25 inches taller and wider which isn't that much considering you also get the .3 inch larger screen.

I tried out the Nexus 6 in store once. I then tried my moto X Pure. It's much easier to hold the Moto X Pure and operate it one-handed than it is the Nexus 6. Both are still largely two-handed devices, but the Moto X Pure makes it less noticeable.

Ashes

Banned
Seems like Xiaomi won't be announcing Mi 5. Instead they're announcing a camera or something.

:/

Well.. S7lucky it is.

Argyle

did the whole play store checking and it gave me "2-3 weeks" then go to store and it finally switched from "Preordered" to "Pending"

Mine has switched to Pending as well...

I didn't get the earliest ship date on the 6P when I ordered, mine was Oct 30-Nov 2 or so , but here's hoping they are shipping early...

TIL that a bigger screen is not objectively *better* than a small screen

My Note 4 goes just fine in my pocket. People need to seriously stop using 2008 arguments about phone size.

What would be a good replacement for Apple Earpods?

I need something for my OnePlus 2 , ideally in the Earpod price range and feature set (volume control, answer call, etc.)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

My Note 4 goes just fine in my pocket. People need to seriously stop using 2008 arguments about phone size.
It's just the boogey man argument. Few of the complainers have actually owned and used a normal sized phone.

kami_sama

I need something for my OnePlus 2 , ideally in the Earpod price range and feature set (volume control, answer call, etc.)

I have a pair of Xiaomi Piston 3s, and they work great. They work almost exactly the same as the apple ones, barring the voice and previous song.

About the huge phones thing. I have gone from a 4.5 inch one to a 5.5 inch one. Only thing that is worse than in the other one is that the back button is a little hard to reach, everything else works great.

Maiar_m

Specs? Usually the phablets are better specced brother. And I'm for the right sized phone side [hint: not phablets]
True, but that's not a benefit of their size, high-end specs are possible in smaller screens, Samsung and Sony proved it.

Good for you. A bigger screen doesn't compare to a "small" screen but to a *smaller* screen. Everybody has different expectations of what a device they'll carry each day should be. I don't think most people are ok with carrying half an airplane in their jeans. It may fit yours, great. It sure doesn't fit mine, or just looks plain stupid. "is that a rectangle the size of Texas stressing your front left pocket or are you just happy to see me?". I'm not making a point for 3 inches screens, but I do believe 5' was the sweet spot.

It's just the boogey man argument. Few of the complainers have actually owned and used a normal sized phone.
That's just like that Verge guy starting his iPhone 6S review with "big screen won". You don't know that, just because manufacturers output phablets like I pee doesn't make that screen size "normal". Norm is defined by numbers and I sure as hell see more <5' screens in the wild than >5'.

I'm glad you guys love your large screens, I'm not saying you're stupid for buyiing them. You're just assholes for behaving like it's the overall objective best solution for all smartphone users when you can objectively argue it isn't, simply on account that its larger size makes it unwieldy for anyone with 'smaller' hands and more difficult to carry on your person regardless of your mittens. You prefer it? I've got no problem with that.

amazon premium headphones, you're welcome.

Also the smaller iphone sells wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than the bigger one. Smaller phones in general are the best selling phones in the world, yo. It's a shame that the definition of "small" has changed overtime. In the android world a phone that is 5 inches with dimensions similar to the S6 is now considered small.

Bigger phones are a great option for those who don't mind but man it's such a shame that there's such an easy and simple solution yet most don't go for it. 2 models. One big, one small, same specs (for the most part). Easy. Apple does it. Samsung sort of does it though I'm sure they'll ruin it somehow. Sony did it.

Admodieus

Bigger phones are a great option for those who don't mind but man it's such a shame that there's such an easy and simple solution yet most don't go for it. 2 models. One big, one small, same specs (for the most part). Easy. Apple does it. Samsung sort of does it though I'm sure they'll ruin it somehow. Sony did it.

Exactly. The 5X would be outselling the 6P if it matched it spec-for-spec, besides battery size.

Mindwipe

I have. It resulted in significant thumb pain trying to use the device one handed, which I do literally for about three hours per day, every day.

Big phones are bad for many of us, and trying to argue our opinions are invalid is stupid.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Exactly. The 5X would be outselling the 6P if it matched it spec-for-spec, besides battery size.

Does that include price?

One of the issues in comparing things like the iPhone 6 and 6+ is the price isn't the same. The 6 is cheaper both on contract, installment, and off contract.

Admodieus

Does that include price?

One of the issues in comparing things like the iPhone 6 and 6+ is the price isn't the same. The 6 is cheaper both on contract, installment, and off contract.

I think the same type of price difference could be used between the two - you could give the 6P (or next year's variant) a bigger battery, slightly better camera (with OIS), and a slightly better screen and charge the $100 more for it, or whatever the equivalent is in other regions.

What I really want is a flagship phone in the form factor of the 2013 Moto X with a great camera, great battery, and fingerprint reader. Active Display was great back then, but even Motorola has changed how it works now so I'm not even gonna be picky about that. Just give me something as easy to hold in the hand.

edit: Before anybody quotes this to suggest the Xperia Z5, I'll never be able to buy it in the states and I'm not on GSM so I can't import it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm not saying your opinions are invalid. I'm saying most of you don't have opinions since you've never even used one. The general you.

Does that include price?

I think apple product owners have proven that they're willing to pay for it if they want it. If more people wanted the bigger one they'd take it.

Meanwhile all android manufacturers are releasing giant handsets and all have them have absolutely tanking sales except huawei and xiaomi (though xiaomi has peaked). Correlation doesn't equal causation and all that jazz but JUST SAYIN.

Admodieus

I think apple product owners have proven that they're willing to pay for it if they want it. If more people wanted the bigger one they'd take it.

Meanwhile all android manufacturers are releasing giant handsets and all have them have absolutely tanking sales except huawei and xiaomi (though xiaomi has peaked). Correlation doesn't equal causation and all that jazz but JUST SAYIN.

Yup, went with a 6S because I tried out a Galaxy Note 5 and a Moto X Pure Edition and just couldn't take the size. 5X was a non-starter for me due to 32 GB of storage and only 2 GB of memory.

There have been certain sizes that once I used I couldn't go back. For instance once I used a nexus 5 I could never go back to an iphone 5/5S. But iphone 6 was fine. I'm using a 5.5 inch phone now but would happily go back to 5 inches.

I fear I might have to support samsung in 2016 if they are the only ones to release a 5 inch phone though I worry for some reason the S7 will get bigger despite having the note line.

Mindwipe

Really? I haven't really noticed any improvements at all. And I did a clean flash, so no old junk left on it.

Dunno about the N5, but my N7 has gained about 40% additional lifespan. It's awesome, and smoother, and more reliable than it was before. A few apps crash to shit still (Plume I'm looking at you) but it's way better.

reKon

Banned
I'm not saying your opinions are invalid. I'm saying most of you don't have opinions since you've never even used one. The general you.

If I struggle to use it one handed then it's too big of a phone for me. It's really simple as that and I don't need to use a phone for weeks to understand this. Yes, I have two hands, but there's situations everyday where I'm on the bus or train in the city getting to work and I'll usually only have access to one hand. Big phones are just not practical for me (typically at least 5.5 inch screens).

And I have used many large phones before for a limited period.

SimleuqiR

Damn, I know it's big, but it's not worth screaming over.

Screaming?
My brother has the Note 4 and I can easily palm it and use it with one hand. The main issue with size is the pocket'bility. Winter is coming, so I can always use my jacket or coat pockets. But in the summer time carrying that brick around is gonna be an issue.

Maiar_m

If I struggle to use it one handed then it's too big of a phone for me. It's really simple as that and I don't need to use a phone for weeks to understand this. Yes, I have two hands, but there's situations everyday where I'm on the bus or train in the city getting to work and I'll usually only have access to one hand. Big phones are just not practical for me (typically at least 5.5 inch screens).

And I have used many large phones before for a limited period.

This. Plus the sacrosanct "value of experience" is overrated. We all have had too much stuff in our pockets or to handle something too large for one hand (wink wink), you don't have to buy a phone just for the sake of maybe possibly proving yourself wrong.

I'm saying this knowing that I'll probably buy the 6P just because there's nothing better coming up :(

Evan Blass hates the OnLeaks guy so much, it never stops being funny to me.

Fc087jZ.png

Judging his latest track record, he's definitely not the most reliable leaker anymore.

xxzbgot.jpg

Vanillalite

The best selling model is ALWAYS the cheapest iPhone model though? It's always the 16 gig model, and now always the smaller model.

I'm not sure if we can extrapolate that or not.

Reckoner

The best selling model is ALWAYS the cheapest iPhone model though? It's always the 16 gig model, and now always the smaller model.

The 16gb model is in immediate stock in here, for the 64gb you have to wait weeks. I don't think that's true anymore.

OnLeaks is the new hotness right now and he can't seem to be ok with that. It's all about the leaks man. They leak more stuff lately.

I don't know if that's true. People will choose the storage option they want just as they will choose the screen size they prefer. Plenty of people seem fine with 16gb + icloud (even if 16gb is an abomination).

SimleuqiR

Just mention something mean and hateful, like that his HTC One M9 leak from earlier this year was wrong. He'll send you nice a DM and then block you immediately.

Y8vywLB.png

That buuurn. :(

He should take that criticism and improve his leaks? Maybe his sources are shit and he needs to own up to it?

Pending just means Google has the stock at their warehouse. They can still choose to ship whenever they want. I'm guessing the 6P ships 10/23.

Vanillalite

Don't you all remember the N6?

Fucking AJ didn't get his shit till like January. LoL

If it's a Nexus launch prepare for low stock and long delays. LoL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom