• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The ONLY flaw the s6 had (ignoring price and people caring about expandable memory/battery swapping) was the software. The screen, camera, and soc were all top tier. But the software..... man, I can't hate on it enough. Too aggressive with task killing (likely to save battery), still too much lag/jank, and still degraded in performance as you added apps. I owned one for a few months, I would buy one again if I read that the marshmallow update reined in the software, the degradation, the jank. But it just won't happen.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
So far very positive reviews on both the 5X and 6P. Don't know what that one poster was reading or not reading saying everything was average. Personally I couldn't justify the purchase of the phones. I had some Amazon gift cards and repurchased the Moto X Pure. Ended getting the 32GB white with a 64GB sd card. I am enjoying it so far. Still getting use to the size. I broke my Nexus tradition. Went from a Galaxy Nexus - Nexus 4 - Nexus 5 to the Moto X Pure. Skipped the N6 due to the size. Maybe I will get next years Nexus.

The ONLY flaw the s6 had (ignoring price and people caring about expandable memory/battery swapping) was the software. The screen, camera, and soc were all top tier. But the software..... man, I can't hate on it enough. Too aggressive with task killing (likely to save battery), still too much lag/jank, and still degraded in performance as you added apps. I owned one for a few months, I would buy one again if I read that the marshmallow update reined in the software, the degradation, the jank. But it just won't happen.

This this this. The phone was absolutely perfect. Screen, camera, etc all amazing. Software though? Made me want to pull out my hair and shoot the phone to the moon. It's annoying in a way because Samsung knows that their software literally is the reason for majority of the hate for their phone but unlike everything else they fix, it like they have completely neglect to fixing that. Shame because this was my second time being fooled by Samsung and it's the last tbh.

samsung will have to fix that with the new touchwiz when the S7 comes out. I still think the touchwiz that came with the s6 is a hgeuimprovement in most ways ovr previous versions but yes it introduced a new problem or two. If they continue to reduce bloat at the same pace should be ok. They also seriously need to get rid of that flipboard shit.

kinggroin

Banned
hahaha damn those ars shots. The images with the exception of the iphone, look like they came from a point and shoot out of 2004.

Good job Google. I can't believe the Nexus cameras are such a piece of shit! Lol! Almost fooled again. Thankfully Ars is the only review site out of dozens to give us the truth!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
This this this. The phone was absolutely perfect. Screen, camera, etc all amazing. Software though? Made me want to pull out my hair and shoot the phone to the moon. It's annoying in a way because Samsung knows that their software literally is the reason for majority of the hate for their phone but unlike everything else they fix, it like they have completely neglect to fixing that. Shame because this was my second time being fooled by Samsung and it's the last tbh.

I was fooled twice in one year! Had a Note 4 and an S6 edge. Both were a master class in hardware and even features, but both suffered from crippling software issues, that yes, made me want to throw the phone against a wall at least once a week. So here I sit with a G4 because, although the camera, screen, and form factor isn't as good as those other two Samsung phones, the G4 is a joy to use. Fast, smooth, responsive, and I haven't once been frustrated at it or felt like I was fighting my phone to perform a task. This experience, with the hardware of an s6, would be the gold standard in smartphones.

I still think the touchwiz that came with the s6 is a hgeuimprovement in most ways ovr previous versions but yes it introduced a new problem or two.

You seriously have no idea what you are talking about. I know the reviews said this, but those guys are reviewing the out of box experience. A month later, it's the same old touchwiz. Just trust me, in the past year and a half I have had an s5, note 4, TWO s6 edge phones. Touchwiz is still just as garbage as ever, they just improved the out of the box by removing a bit of bloat up front, but once you install a lot of apps and push the phone, it will make you want to toss it against a wall at least once a week.

hahaha damn those ars shots. The images with the exception of the iphone, look like they came from a point and shoot out of 2004.

Good job Google. I can't believe the Nexus cameras are such a piece of shit! Lol! Almost fooled again. Thankfully Ars is the only review site out of dozens to give us the truth!

It's sad that I can't tell if you're poking fun at the selective/non-readers in here or being sincere... So sad.

I'm pretty sure it's the former!

So far very positive reviews on both the 5X and 6P. Don't know what that one poster was reading or not reading saying everything was average. Personally I couldn't justify the purchase of the phones. I had some Amazon gift cards and repurchased the Moto X Pure. Ended getting the 32GB white with a 64GB sd card. I am enjoying it so far. Still getting use to the size. I broke my Nexus tradition. Went from a Galaxy Nexus - Nexus 4 - Nexus 5 to the Moto X Pure. Skipped the N6 due to the size. Maybe I will get next years Nexus.
Is the Moto X too damn big?

kinggroin

Banned
It's sad that I can't tell if you're poking fun at the selective/non-readers in here or being sincere... So sad.

I'm pretty sure it's the former!

Because this thread has turned into a caricature of itself. Everything out is garbage and trash and whatever other hyperbolic adjective you can think of - on top of all the stans. Folks aren't happy in here unless it's bad news to prove they were right being unhappy in the first place.

Wreav

Banned
Because this thread has turned into a caricature of itself. Everything out is garbage and trash and whatever other hyperbolic adjective you can think of - on top of all the stans. Folks aren't happy in here unless it's bad news to prove they were right being unhappy in the first place.

Can't hear you over the abrasive, tinny speakers on the 6P.

kinggroin

Banned
I was fooled twice in one year! Had a Note 4 and an S6 edge. Both were a master class in hardware and even features, but both suffered from ceiling software issues, that yes, made me want to throw the phone against a wall at least once a week. So here I sit with a G4 because, although the camera, screen, and form factor isn't as good as those other two Samsung phones, the G4 is a joy to use. Fast, smooth, responsive, and I haven't once been frustrated at it or felt like I was fighting my phone to perform a task. This experience, with the hardware of an s6, would be the gold standard in smartphones.

You seriously have no idea what you are talking about. I know the reviews said this, but those guys are reviewing the out of box experience. A month later, it's the same old touchwiz. Just trust me, in the past year and a half I have had an s5, note 4, TWO s6 edge phones. Touchwiz is still just as garbage as ever, they just improved the out of the box by removing a bit of bloat up front, but once you install a lot of apps and push the phone, it will make you want to toss it against a wall at least once a week.

Ditch the home button (can't believe I have to even say that nowadays) and I agree wholeheartedly.They exceptional hardware.

NotBacon

Everything is trash. I'm going to Windows Phone.

I'm fully on board for the 6p, no real complaints. Shaping up to be the best phone yet IMO

Saiyan-Rox

Well there goes me getting any decent amount for my OP2. Had it in my hand and my headphones snagged and shot the phone out of my hand. Tempered glass cracked and the case o had on folded back and the top of the phone has a masive gash in it :( first time ever dropping a phone and with a case on and it still got badly gashed ffs

Fml

EmiPrime

Well there goes me getting any decent amount for my OP2. Had it in my hand and my headphones snagged and shot the phone out of my hand. Tempered glass cracked and the case o had on folded back and the top of the phone has a masive gash in it :( first time ever dropping a phone and with a case on and it still got badly gashed ffs

Fml

That's how I broke my Nexus 5; the sodding headphone wires getting caught.

kinggroin

Banned
You know how you can disrupt the market? No questions asked three free glass screen replacement\repairs a year from a manufacturer.

kami_sama

Fml

If it makes you feel any better, I fucked up the installation of the tempered glass and have now thrown 12€ to the bin :(

EmiPrime

You know how you can disrupt the market? No questions asked three free glass screen replacement\repairs a year from a manufacturer.

Only Apple have the infrastructure to offer that worldwide.

Hasney and I discussed this recently, the after sales support even for Nexus and Samsung phones in the UK is dreadful.

Saiyan-Rox

If it makes you feel any better, I fucked up the installation of the tempered glass and have now thrown 12€ to the bin :(

12 tempered glass? Those are really easy to apply. If you're having difficulty use the henge method.

I'm so fucked off with this now :/ I'm afraid to take off the tempered glass to see if any damage is done to the actual screen. If there is I might swell stick this in a drawer as a backup and take the hit.

kami_sama

12 tempered glass? Those are really easy to apply. If you're having difficulty use the henge method.

I'm so fucked off with this now :/ I'm afraid to take off the tempered glass to see if any damage is done to the actual screen. If there is I might swell stick this in a drawer as a backup and take the hit.

As easy as the hinge method might be, I ended with some fibers in between, and after removing the glass, I couldn't make it stick completely again.

NotBacon

You know how you can disrupt the market? No questions asked three free glass screen replacementrepairs a year from a manufacturer.

That would be sweet from Google. I have a couple of nicks on the edge of my screen (damn in-law dropped it right on a boulder). Probably dropped the value of my N6 a bit, as if the market value wasn't low enough -_-

NomarTyme

Fml
Fucking suck I know how you feel. I switched to bluetooth because of this reason

kinggroin

Banned
HTC Uh-Oh Protection with the M9. Nothing was disrupted other than HTC's falling stock prices.

Not to be an ass, but it's probably because so few actually care about the M9 to begin with. Imagine if I gave a great warranty on 32" Sceptre HD Television set?

That would be sweet from Google. I have a couple of nicks on the edge of my screen (damn in-law dropped it right on a boulder). Probably dropped the value of my N6 a bit, as if the market value wasn't low enough -_-

yup. looks like I'm going to just keep the damn thing as a backup.

Hasney

My N6 is still in flawless condition, which is nice. A noticeable step up in build quality from that S4, that's for sure.

kami_sama

Does the packs you're buying have alcohol wipes? If not then yo u could get some to help.

Yeah, it had one, and I used, the screen was clean. But some fibers must have landed on the glass after removing the plastic film. And I can't do anything now. The glass doesn't stick in one corner.

Hasney

Thanks. Guess I'll just start using the desktop site only for YouTube streams. It adjusts to F/HD in the app, but my data cap keeps me having to use 480p or lower most of the time.

I need some Fiber in my life.

Home internet cap or cellular data cap? If it's the latter, there is a setting to reduce quality when on mobile data.

Ty4on

Fucking suck I know how you feel. I switched to bluetooth because of this reason
Can more people do this so we get more variety in the market? I'm looking for a new pair, but it seems like the power button for all of them has to be held down for ~10 seconds. It works, but a switch would be so much easier when walking.

Hasney

Can more people do this so we get more variety in the market? I'm looking for a new pair, but it seems like the power button for all of them has to be held down for ~10 seconds. It works, but a switch would be so much easier when walking.

Jabra Move. An amazing pair complete with a switch.

Home internet cap or cellular data cap? If it's the latter, there is a setting to reduce quality when on mobile data.
Both, but I'm mainly talking about the former. We've still got at&t DSL here with a 150GB cap. I don't stream anything on mobile data, and when I do watch something on home WiFi, it's more than 90% of the time being viewed in subHD. That's just the way it is unfortunately.

Jigolo

I hope the next gen phone displays have the new iMac tech. It's stunning.
What new tech?
Standard vs sRGB, 6P
ewwwwwwww. Standard pls. Rec.2020 in 4 years pls

The LG G2 also had a 5.2 inch 1080p LCD and a bigger 3000mAh battery. Its dimensions were:
138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9 mm
While the 5X' are:
147 x 72.6 x 7.9 mm

That increase in width is quite significant for the feel in hand. Nexus 5 was 69.2 and 4 was 68.7 for comparison.

G2 = GOAT ergonomics. Nexus 5P 2016 with dua front facing speakers OLED and same dimensions as g2. I'll buy 2

Hasney

Mine is still in perfect shape, too, but I don't hate anyone enough to give/sell it to them.

Well yes, we already know your phone is cursed by the spirits. I wouldn't want to give that specific one to anyone either as it may eat their soul :(

"Fuck me, it are my would and it only have me 15 more mins SoT. What a fucking rip!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom