• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Nexus 6P says "PENDING"!

I may keep it despite owning a iPhone 6S Plus.

I've been on 'pending' for a week. If it follows the same pattern as the 5X, we should get charged this week with shipments going out next week.

Well yes, we already know your phone is cursed by the spirits. I wouldn't want to give that specific one to anyone either as it may eat their soul :(

"Fuck me, it are my would and it only have me 15 more mins SoT. What a fucking rip!"

These spirits are persistent buggers. They vanished for a while after my fresh install Marshmellow exorcism, but returned full force over the weekend with a new trick in tow. Their latest scare includes loading low-res app icons in the launcher when the device slows to a crawl.

Truly frightening. Perhaps, it's a Halloween-themed device feature. Thanks, Moto Googy!

OMG! My 5X is coming 10/22! My Order details showed that it was suppose to ship 10/28-10/30.

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIi

My hype just took over my body. Dear lord....

TTTTTTTTTTTTT___________________TTTTTTTTTTTTT

So Sony is rolling out Marshmallow with their new skin to 10K (Z3 and Z3 compact) people now and the rest of the rollout will happen later. Nice that it still looks like stock. Way better than before.

Screenshot_20151019-080004-473980b07cd2431025f412c08acd7d38-605x1076.png

Screenshot_20151019-080008-3418bebd384049b3054c4957bb5cf567-605x1076.png

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What new tech?
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/1...ter-screen-21-5-inch-4k-retina-imac-reviewed/

Another addition that comes to both the 4K and 5K iMacs is a wider color gamut—previous iMacs used the sRGB color space, but the new Retina models support "over 99 percent" of the DCI-P3 color space common in digital movie theaters. DCI-P3 encompasses the entire sRGB color space but is capable of displaying more shades of red and green (which also affects secondary and tertiary colors like yellow, orange, magenta, and cyan, though blues in DCI-P3 are roughly the same as in sRGB).

To support this wider color gamut, Apple has switched away from using standard white LEDs for backlighting, which typically combine a blue LED with a yellow phosphor to create white. Apple is now using red-green phosphor LEDs to expand the color gamut, a strategy previously demonstrated by LCD makers like Sharp.

So Sony is rolling out Marshmallow with their new skin to 10K people now and the rest of the rollout will happen later. Nice that it still looks like stock. Way better than before.

So nice! Sony is really bringing that Android almost stock mentality. They are starting to slowly remind me of Moto. I hope my mom gets it so I can play around.

Both, but I'm mainly talking about the former. We've still got at&t DSL here with a 150GB cap. I don't stream anything on mobile data, and when I do watch something on home WiFi, it's more than 90% of the time being viewed in subHD. That's just the way it is unfortunately.

yeah, about to bounce from that garbage company because of that cap

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Which is great apart from Android not supporting anything higher than sRGB. It's the same with virtually all web content.
Web didn't support retina for awhile, too. We will get there.

Google is requiring that OEMs are not allowed to mess with Doze in Marshmallow. Nice.
"Android is open!"

Ashes

Banned
So Sony is rolling out Marshmallow with their new skin to 10K (Z3 and Z3 compact) people now and the rest of the rollout will happen later. Nice that it still looks like stock. Way better than before.

looks nice. :)

I never understood why these companies don't just offer a toggle to turn their phones into a pure Android edition.

Apple sold 50K iphones in 10 mins in south korea. Samsung shed a tear somewhere. They dropped the prices there too lol. Hope they keep getting burned because I like "underdog" samsung. It finally made them step up hardware for the s6, maybe they'll try again in 2016.

I use underdog loosely as they are the only android manufacturer selling phones in NA.

Jigolo

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/1...ter-screen-21-5-inch-4k-retina-imac-reviewed/

Another addition that comes to both the 4K and 5K iMacs is a wider color gamut—previous iMacs used the sRGB color space, but the new Retina models support "over 99 percent" of the DCI-P3 color space common in digital movie theaters. DCI-P3 encompasses the entire sRGB color space but is capable of displaying more shades of red and green (which also affects secondary and tertiary colors like yellow, orange, magenta, and cyan, though blues in DCI-P3 are roughly the same as in sRGB).

To support this wider color gamut, Apple has switched away from using standard white LEDs for backlighting, which typically combine a blue LED with a yellow phosphor to create white. Apple is now using red-green phosphor LEDs to expand the color gamut, a strategy previously demonstrated by LCD makers like Sharp.
That ain't new tech.

Bboy AJ

It's a bigger step. If we switched now the pictures would look washed out on older devices.
[ig]https://d1w5usc88actyi.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/JoshuaAdobeRGB.jpg[/img]
Interesting. Thanks. But retina is a good comparison. The non retina stuff looked bad when we switched. It was painful but here we are today, happier.

That ain't new tech.
It is, in a mainstream consumer product for the first time.

Bboy AJ

Battery comparisons are only useful if I hear about the reviewer's previous phone's battery life. Like my N6 doesn't work like others' but I'm sure the increase with 6P will be the same for all.

RuGalz

I sometimes wonder if they have all their normal apps installed and activated for these review phones. Sometimes when I start on a new device, just not having a few apps activated, it makes a huge difference on battery life. Can't ever believe in the numbers.

Furyous

Hopefully Sony uses Doze to make the battery life of the Z5C god tier.

Carriers need to step in and force Sony's hand here. Encourage Sony to at least offer the Z5C with 3 gigs of RAM and a 1080p screen. Market it as an 4.7 inch alternative to the Nexus 5X. Is there a store link somewhere to the Z5CP or was that a confirmed rumor? Can someone explain to me how the Z5C can shoot video in 1080p and 4K yet Sony did not include a formal 1080p display?

Need a new phone but hate the options available because there are too many compromises.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
So I just got the sony M build... and they are still using the shitty 3.4 kernel :|

yeah, about to bounce from that garbage company because of that cap
I'm hoping we can find something better here, but family is adamant on staying with at&t since they work there and can get u-verse with a discounted monthly rate. That's cool and all, but it still has a data cap. I'm gonna have to do some research and see what is available that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and offers significantly better speeds than what we get now.

I'm hoping we can find something better here, but family is adamant on staying with at&t since they work there and can get u-verse with a discounted monthly rate. That's cool and all, but it still has a data cap. I'm gonna have to do some research and see what is available that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and offers significantly better speeds than what we get now.
i have been waiting forever for the local cable company to finally offer internet service here. i can't jump ship fast enough.

and man, the difference in how long it takes to talk to a human (seconds vs 30 minutes on hold) is already a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom