• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So cher Wang wrote a letter to her employees saying the A9 is a good alternative to the iPhones? Does this mean even HTC employees were using iPhones? Trying to get them to switch over? LOL

VoxPop

What a terrible downfall after such a wonderful M7 release. They should just merge with another shit company like OnePlus and hopefully make something decent together.

hitgirl

I have like 27 cancelled orders for the Nexus 5X and the 6P because for some reason my orders keep getting cancelled because it's a "High Risk Item" I just hope my one order that went through get shipped out of all that madness.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What's the best Nexus review so far? I actually like Android Headlines. It's pretty thorough. Otherwise, I don't really trust early reviews. They never paint an accurate picture. The reviews are rush jobs.

At least they're not Samsung phones. Those ones wow the first month then implode.

SimleuqiR

What's the best Nexus review so far? I actually like Android Headlines. It's pretty thorough. Otherwise, I don't really trust early reviews. They never paint an accurate picture. The reviews are rush jobs.

At least they're not Samsung phones. Those ones wow the first month then implode.

We all know the only review that's gonna matter is the Verge's "it's not an iPhone" review.

I saw a couple of reviewers on Twitter caution people about this. Said they only got review units on Friday and remarked that a lot of what are being published as reviews should basically be considered previews because they've all only had 2-3 days with the phones at this point.

Pyrokai

Okay, I'm now pumped beyond belief for my 6P to arrive. Holy crap. But......what size did every 6P buyer get? I'm worried 32 GB won't be enough. My current iPhone 5 is totally fill with only ~650 pictures and a bunch of apps. No games. Worried I'll fill the 32 too quickly but everything is out of stock except the 32 GB.

Okay, I'm now pumped beyond belief for my 6P to arrive. Holy crap. But......what size did every 6P buyer get? I'm worried 32 GB won't be enough. My current iPhone 5 is totally fill with only ~650 pictures and a bunch of apps. No games. Worried I'll fill the 32 too quickly but everything is out of stock except the 32 GB.

32 should be fine. That's about 24-25gb of free space out of the box.

Saiyan-Rox

My popcorn is ready

giphy.gif

Vibed

Lost my phone at a Middle School/High School concert tonight while it was charging in an outlet right outside the auditorium. Apparently, several people's phones went missing, including a few kids who left their phone in the back orchestra room. It's pretty clear somebody stole them all. Mine was in the main commons room, which has I'm sure has cameras set up. So that will help find it. Plus, I'm sure the other people had to have other safety measures set up for themselves, which helps since it's likely connected.

I left my US Cellular GS4 with both Wi-Fi and mobile data off as well as on silent while charging. It's locked too, so someone with knowhow would be the only one to crack it. No locating apps to solve this either. How fucked am I? Is there any way to triangulate the phone with cell towers or something?

God, if I'd only left my data or Wi-Fi on, I could have used my Google Location history or the Android Device Manager to locate it...I'm really naïve to think just because this is a small town and the concert was fairly sparse with mostly older parents, no one would touch it. I guess I'll have to head to the HS tomorrow.

Saiyan-Rox

Lost my phone at a Middle School/High School concert tonight while it was charging in an outlet right outside the auditorium. Apparently, several people's phones went missing, including a few kids who left their phone in the back orchestra room. It's pretty clear somebody stole them all. Mine was in the main commons room, which has I'm sure has cameras set up. So that will help find it. Plus, I'm sure the other people had to have other safety measures set up for themselves, which helps since it's likely connected.

I left my US Cellular GS4 with both Wi-Fi and mobile data off as well as on silent while charging. It's locked too, so someone with knowhow would be the only one to crack it. No locating apps to solve this either. How fucked am I? Is there any way to triangulate the phone with cell towers or something?

God, if I'd only left my data or Wi-Fi on, I could have used my Google Location history or the Android Device Manager to locate it...I'm really naïve to think just because this is a small town and the concert was fairly sparse with mostly older parents, no one would touch it. I guess I'll have to head to the HS tomorrow.

Unless the person turns the data on while you're looking at the android device manager you're pretty fucked.

I know how you feel though I was mugged like a year ago but I didn't have any lock on my phone and the bastard would have access to everything on the phone :/ only thing you can do is call your carrier and ask them to block the IMEI that way the phone can't be used by anyone at all even after a reset.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Unless the person turns the data on while you're looking at the android device manager you're pretty fucked.

I know how you feel though I was mugged like a year ago but I didn't have any lock on my phone and the bastard would have access to everything on the phone :/ only thing you can do is call your carrier and ask them to block the IMEI that way the phone can't be used by anyone at all even after a reset.
Details on mugging? That sucks, man. Shiet. It's why I worry about smart unlock with android wear.

Saiyan-Rox

Details on mugging? That sucks, man. Shiet. It's why I worry about smart unlock with android wear.

Some guy approached me from behind with what he said was a knife up his sleeve a and told me to give him my phone or her stab me. So I told him to show me the knife so he headbutted me then punched me in the face a few times reached into my pocket and ran off.

Took the police 6 months to get back to me about mug shots but I'd already forgotten his face so was pointless. I think smart lock is handy. If they check its not locked before they leave it looks okay until they run off and see its locked now.

More S7 rumours:

A new report out of China suggests that the Galaxy S7 is going to have a magnesium alloy body adorned with glass, not only will that make the device more sturdy but will also improve the premium feel which will certainly go a long way in convincing users that it’s a worthwhile upgrade. Another report says that the Galaxy S7 is going to tout superior sound quality as it will feature the SABRE 9018AQ2M chip by ESS Technology, it has a 129 dB signal-to-noise ratio and has support for formats such as DSD and PCM p to 32-bit and 384 KHz. The chip will enable users to get the same listening experience from digital and streaming music as they do from its analog counterpart.

Ashes

Banned
Battle of the finger print scanners - Begin!

Nexus 5X vs iPhone 6s - Fingerprint Scanner Speed Test

https://youtu.be/Pi5L-ml2hVY

At first glance it looks like iphone's gonna get it but 5x wins. Even clearer when they show it from the lock screen later on.

Watched that video earlier today. I can't wait for my Nexus. This iPhone is going to the back now. I need my screen again and my Ok Google and my Apps and ugh...I miss android so much even though I love this iPhone too. The fact that the fingerprint scanner also is fast and always learning! Omg...Google <3

What's hilarious is the phandroid guy in the comment section of his video said the fingerprint reader is not faster than the iPhone 6S. Clearly that is false even if not by that much.

Pyrokai

You're thinking of NiCd and NiMH. One thing that preserves lithium batteries is low depth of discharge which basically means charging it often instead of always going 100->0%.

I forgot to follow up on this: so it's better to charge more often without completely draining it and/or use it while plugged in?

Do you think I could get 3 years out of it?

Maiar_m

The Verge's review of the 6P doesn't sound too optimistic about that battery life. I'm surprised these big phones don't last easily two days of power use.

kinggroin

Banned
The Verge's review of the 6P doesn't sound too optimistic about that battery life. I'm surprised these big phones don't last easily two days of power use.

I think full-bore Android will always get in the way.

You can get it to last a loooong time, but then it'd lose a lot of background task advantages.

SimleuqiR

You can't use it when the phone is set on a table, for example

Is this a fucking thing?
The only time my phone is placed in a table is at my desk at work and I rarely have to pick it up. The only times I have to pick it up is if I get a call (rarely). Everything else in my life is accessible on the desktop (email, IM, etc).

And when I'm out socializing I don't place the phone on tables. I'm not rude like that. Phone stays in the pocket.

When it comes to battery life:

Nexus 6 (2014) < Nexus 6P < Your Hopes and Dreams

I get about 4hrs screen-on with the 6, so I'm expecting 4-5hrs on the 6P.

Ashes

Banned
HTC announcement in a couple of hours. Yep, it looks like an iphone. I don't get why they don't copy a lesser known high end luxury phone like the Gresso Regal R1.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Yes it does look like an iphone but isnt the design somewhat an evolution of their one series? Out of all the OEM skins the one I like the most is Sense,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom