• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_guy

Went ahead and ordered the 5x 32gb in black. The 6p was only $70 more and looks so much nicer, but it's way too big (twss) and the 5x is shipping now.

Did I make a mistake
by not waiting a few hours for HTC's press event
?

^^To be clear, that statement, much like HTC, is a joke.

Drifters

Went ahead and ordered the 5x 32gb in black. The 6p was only $70 more and looks so much nicer, but it's way too big (twss) and the 5x is shipping now.

Did I make a mistake
?

You gotta be joking. HTC is dead after the M8 and I'm guessing OnePlus will buy them out.

CronoShot

Did I make a mistake
?

lol no, the leaks for the new HTC phone have looked terrible across the board.

Wreav

Banned
Lusting hard for a graphite 6P. Doubt I'll get one unless VZW carries it at a contract discount.

Sounds like it solves most of my recent pain points with Android phones...camera just works (with great low light to boot!), standby time is on par with iOS, great fingerprint scanner, all day battery life.

edit: 6 years ago today I posted this on FB, I'm so embarassed

ok so facebook on the bb tour kicks ass.

yasu151

I've been eligible for a phone upgrade for awhile now, and my current phone is starting to die. Looking around, I found a deal for a Galaxy Note 4 at BestBuy to be used with Sprint (online only).

(Note 4 link)

Deal is $1 down--which becomes ~$100 total (sales tax of $65 + $36 new phone activation fee at sprint; grumble grumble.) Rather impulsively, I ordered it last night. Anyone have any recommendations? I will likely also hit up the XDA forums to root it so I can remove/disable bloatware. I have a Samsung device now, and have a tablet as well, and though I'm not impressed by TouchWiz I've never had any issues with it.

kinggroin

Banned
is there a live stream of HTC's event? I'm hoping they find a way to knock it out the park. We need more competition in this space.

You gotta be joking. HTC is dead after the M8 and I'm guessing OnePlus will buy them out.

Wait, the One Plus have enough cash to buy HTC out? What!!!

is there a live stream of HTC's event? I'm hoping they find a way to knock it out the park. We need more competition in this space.

Absolutely, they are one of the first phones in the Android space who's been there since the beginning and I believe they started all that 'big screen' phones trend. Either way I've used couple of their products, One X and the earlier M. I like the brand.

Hasney

Mmm, thanks. You're a good person.

Can't wait to see what this does to fix what the M8 and M9 have done to their rep

It's not going to do that, it's just more of the same but with the design going more iPhone like. Hopefully the M10 or whatever they call it early next year does that.

Hasney

HTC made a lot of good phones. Let's not even forget the original G, the G1

tmob-G1-black-open_side-500.jpg

6P would have been my GOAT if they didn't shrink the screen from the 6. It'd be hard to go backwards.

Hoping for another 6 next year with an 820 and 5.9" screen. Delicious.

Hasney

So we know the specs then? Is the camera improved or no? What about the 810?

We know it's mid range, yet somehow it was listed at 599 Euros so hopefully that was a misprint. It's a replacement for the Hero.

4" screen will make some people happy though.

Not a chance. They're aiming for 10nm and I know some rumours peg it for the end of next year, but I can't see it given the 14nm issues companies have had even. Maybe an SD 825 stopgap.

Might be a stopgap, don't see Qualcomm going through an entire year with the 820, even though it's a big step over the 810.

If they're waiting for 10nm to mature it's mid 2017 at best.

Hasney

Might be a stopgap, don't see Qualcomm going through an entire year with the 820, even though it's a big step over the 810.

If they're waiting for 10nm to mature it's mid 2017 at best.

Yeah, if they actually have the basis of a good chip unlike the 810, it's likely we'll see refinements like the 801/805 style chips.

Reckoner

Did that speed test just show that the 5X is trash? Couldn't hold anything in memory from what I've seen in comparison to the 6P.

Btw, I must step back on my words and say that fingerprint sensor on the back is actually a good thing and I was wrong.

Saiyan-Rox

got that leather strap for my SW3 and damn is it uncomfortable

makes the whole thing more squared off so it doesn't feel like it's in the right place on my wrist :S

Saiyan-Rox

oh great there's 3 versions of 6.0 on the 5X

I hope this isn't a sign of the continuation of different versions for different carriers....again

kinggroin

Banned
I get being aprehensive after the M9 and to a lesser extent, the M8, but so far this seems to be alright.

Can't wait to see how it turns out in reviews. On paper, its got the right stuff to make a case for itself in the mid range price bracket.

Cautiously excited.

hitsugi

In typical Verge fashion, nearly every positive aspect of the 5X review is accompanied by a caveat.

Or, perhaps that's just the 5X.

Hasney

I get being aprehensive after the M9 and to a lesser extent, the M8, but so far this seems to be alright.

Can't wait to see how it turns out in reviews. On paper, its got the right stuff to make a case for itself in the mid range price bracket.

Cautiously excited.

I don't know man, you're looking at a worse phone than a 5x for $20 more somehow.

Mad props for unlocking the bootloader not voiding the warranty though. Still don't understand having the HTC chin there even now.

About the software updates for the A9:

Even better, HTC promises that the unlocked version will receive every Android software update within 15 days of when google first pushes it to the Nexus line. That's a bold promise, but hopefully one that the company can live up to.

If only all OEMs could do that for every device. Well carriers ruin it with their testing but still.

this_guy

A9 doesn't look too bad, but that 2150mah battery is too small and HTC needs to step their camera game up a level. The Nexus phones no longer have crap cameras and HTC needs to at least be at the same level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom