• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The A9 sounds like a failure at first glance. For starters it's nearly the same size as the 5X, but the screen is smaller and the battery is MUCH smaller which is absolutely ridiculous. It has a much worse chipset inside it, doesn't have USB C and yet it costs even more than the 5X.

Flip-side comes down to the metal body, SD Card Slot, and HTC Protection for one year. Really the phone should have been priced at $300-$350.

Damn

meizu-pro-5-vs-oneplus2.png

FYI, the Meizu uses the same Samsung Chip in the Galaxy Note 5.

kinggroin

Banned
Is the A9 even USB-C? DOA if not.

No one cares about USB C but us.

This phone should be $350. Looks like a potential winner if the camera and battery are on point.

I don't know man, you're looking at a worse phone than a 5x for $20 more somehow.

Mad props for unlocking the bootloader not voiding the warranty though. Still don't understand having the HTC chin there even now.

Yeah but what's actually worse? The chipset isn't as high end, but let's see how this thing actually performs. Maybe its done well enough to merit the price tag. Maybe the camera is just as good, maybe the battery lasts longer, maybe the OLED panel looks better, maybe the speaker is water, maybe the build makes it feel worth the price jump.

End of the day, the ONLY thing that matters is the actual experience (see the OG Moto X). You can have great internals and a bad experience.

Let's just wait on the maybes before we crucify it is all. Not saying you're doing that necessarily.

Furyous

Solid phone, but needs to be $350 so it's less than the competition aka 5X and Moto Pure.

The 5X is sold below cost so that doesn't count with a $50 coupon on top of that. $400 is about right for the device considering the tech and cost associated with marketing it.

I'd like this device better in January 2015 than October 2015. It would sell a lot better at the start of this year than the fall. FWIW, HTC should've gone with the 808 in the first place, made their skin more stock-like, and the M9 sells better IMHO.

Does the A9 have an IR blaster? I'd give it serious consideration if we weren't four months away from the M10 announcement. The M10 needs to take the Motorola route.

BRB as I read the most honest Nexii reviews yet.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The 5X is sold below cost so that doesn't count with a $50 coupon on top of that. $400 is about right for the device considering the tech and cost associated with marketing it.

I'd like this device better in January 2015 than October 2015. It would sell a lot better at the start of this year than the fall. FWIW, HTC should've gone with the 808 in the first place, made their skin more stock-like, and the M9 sells better IMHO.

Does the A9 have an IR blaster? I'd give it serious consideration if we weren't four months away from the M10 announcement. The M10 needs to take the Motorola route.

BRB as I read the most honest Nexii reviews yet.

The 5X has better hardware in theory though. Granted I don't know the exact materials cost.

Ashes

Banned

The 5x is sold below cost?

BTW how is this HTC's best phone yet? Below average specs, behind tech curve, lower battery, looks pretty much like an iphone, and kinda expensive for what it is touting.

NotBacon

Is there a place in the US to play around with the new Nexuses? Carriers not..... carrying.... them yet is stupid.

In typical Verge fashion, nearly every positive aspect of the 5X review is accompanied by a caveat.

Or, perhaps that's just the 5X.

futuramafry.jpg

Furyous

The 5x is sold below cost?

BTW how is this HTC's best phone yet? Below average specs, behind tech curve, lower battery, looks pretty much like an iphone, and kinda expensive for what it is touting.

Yes, the 5X is sold below cost as Nexus devices traditionally are sold below cost. The 16 GB version is costs around $330 after GP credit. The 32 GB version costs $380 after GP credit. The 5X should cost more. Don't even get me started on the 6P....

The A9 is HTC's best phone yet because it's a dramatic non original ripoff of the iphone 6/6S departure from the M7, M8, and M9. It's what the M9 should've been as it is uses different design language.

This concept of expensive is getting ridiculous. OEMs are in business to make money not price themselves out of the market. I want the device to cost $150 and come with IR blaster, removable battery, and lifetime updates but that does not make business sense for a struggling company. It's an appropriate price for a flagship from a struggling company. The Moto X Play costs around $400 USD with 16 gigs of storage so this price is appropriate.

VoxPop

Just read/watched the 6P review. Wish I didn't cancel my preorder. The wait was just too long though. I'll pick one up when they're readily available and give that bad boy a spin.

zewone

That HTC phone actually looks pretty legit on paper and the iPhone 6 has a nice design.

How's the 617 CPU performance wise?

VoxPop

Always wish I got into engineering so I could build the perfect phone even if it was just for myself. Would be awesome to kickstart a company even though I'd have to use Android.

Kuros

Serious Q. I have to have either an S6 or an S6 edge as a corporate phone.

Is there any real point to having the edge?

Furyous

Please stop linking to The Verge.

For what? There's quite a few sites that people can link to but choose this one. The Verge happens to be a site that doesn't give every Android device 9s across the board and that is bad thing? There's a few sentences in the 6P review that are questionable but other than that it's fine. Their smartphone reviews are great but I see how comparing every device to the iphone grates on people. Where's the TechRadar review of the Z5? Where's the gsmarena review of the Z5C?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom