• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, Verge is utter shite for everything. Android reviews, iPhone reviews, general tech things.

They probably got an old Nexus 5 and 6 in and accidentally reviewed them anyway.

https://plus.google.com/+RonAmadeo/posts/HKYcpU9bqqf

Oh Verge. I'm happy they exist, I just think they're an even more clever and subtle version of The Onion.

Yep. Upset android users who want to know how the latest phone didn't reach 9.0 is probably a large source income for them.

That's why people need to stop linking that shit

For what? There's quite a few sites that people can link to but choose this one. The Verge happens to be a site that doesn't give every Android device 9s across the board and that is bad thing? There's a few sentences in the 6P review that are questionable but other than that it's fine. Their smartphone reviews are great but I see how comparing every device to the iphone grates on people. Where's the TechRadar review of the Z5? Where's the gsmarena review of the Z5C?

I see what you are doing here and sorry but the mental gymnastics is not worth it. I've been a long fan of the verge before Josh left and there was an ounce of actual care taken into the reviews before it started to get really sensanilst and became this "We review Apple stuff better because everybody else does" site.

I wouldn't have a problem if they kept phones reviews honest and took into consideration the strengths and weakness of both and left it at that consistently.

The fact that absolutely no Android phone regardless of how solid they are can't even compare at all to the iPhone just seems so shitty. The iPhone isn't perfect and it has its flaws..it's not unmeasurable tho. It's not about being beat either.

VoxPop

I honestly believe if an Android device truly deserves a 9 or more, it would get it. None of the phones out actually deserved one yet except maybe the 6P (still up in the air). And that got a formidable 8.8

kinggroin

Banned
I honestly believe if an Android device truly deserves a 9 or more, it would get it. None of the phones out actually deserved one yet except maybe the 6P (still up in the air). And that got a formidable 8.8

Haven't Android phones received 8.8s before?

Hasney

Yeah, I'm not bothered by the scores or anything, I think that's only a couple of people that are. They could have put Design Score: Gorilla and I'd take them just as seriously.

IMO, the 6S is definitely not a perfect score but I don't really care too much for the number. It's the inconsistency which makes the numbers look ridiculous. From the reviews itself, the scores clearly don't match. But it does eventually look unconscious that the reviews are always going to be set to a number you can expect for one device but for everything else it's always this thing or the other. I have come to not look to the verge for any review for any phone outside an iPhone that I want to buy. It's clear to me that they don't have any scale they base anything on.....except when it's an iPhone.

VoxPop

IMO, the 6S is definitely not a perfect score but I don't really care too much for the number. It's the inconsistency which makes the numbers look ridiculous. From the reviews itself, the scores clearly don't match. But it does eventually look unconscious that the reviews are always going to be set to a number you can expect for one device but for everything else it's always this thing or the other. I have come to not look to the verge for any review for any phone outside an iPhone that I want to buy. It's clear to me that they don't have any scale they base anything on.....except when it's an iPhone.

The iPhone 6S didn't even get a perfect score. It's .2 pts higher than the 6P which I personally believe makes sense. I don't really take the scores at face value though and usually just base it on how it feeds my needs and nuances. That being said, I'd say the 6P and 6S are THE phones to get this year and next as they personify what a smartphone should be.

I read smartphone reviews like I read videogame reviews. I don't. I just give them the once over to see the images they took with the phone and to watch any hands on videos/pics so I can see it in motion and judge for myself.

All these shitty opinions and all these benchmarks just make me giggle.

I read smartphone reviews like I read videogame reviews. I don't. I just give them the once over to see the images they took with the phone and to watch any hands on videos/pics so I can see it in motion and judge for myself.

All these shitty opinions and all these benchmarks just make me giggle.

I feel like the rage over iVerge's reviews of Android devices has happened before. Oh right, anybody remember The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and the less than 9.0 it got from Gamespot or IGN or something? The GAF mass hysteria over that was priceless.

I used to bag on iVerge back in the days when Josh was still there but now I regret it because it has become absolute shit after he left. I wish someone would set a botnet to refresh the iVerge while blocking all ads once every 5 minutes, so as to not DDoS them, but to waste their network resources and drive up their bandwidth bills until they are out of business.

In my completely amateurish opinion, those shots all look amazing to me.

Edit:

Can Google Play Music cast local music or just what's in the cloud?

E: Nope. Dammit, Google. If you are allowing local photos and videos to be cast through Photos, allow the same for Play Music.

3phemeral

In my completely amateurish opinion, those shots all look amazing to me.

Edit:

Can Google Play Music cast local music or just what's in the cloud?

E: Nope. Dammit, Google. If you are allowing local photos and videos to be cast through Photos, allow the same for Play Music.

Doesn't seem like an ideal solution, but have you tried streaming your device by mirroring? Should be able to stream local music that Google Play doesn't have to your Chromecast. Granted, your phone's screen will be also streamed, but you can switch it to a nice blank desktop with a pretty wallpaper while GPMusic streams in the background :)

Doesn't seem like an ideal solution, but have you tried streaming your device by mirroring? Should be able to stream local music that Google Play doesn't have to your Chromecast. Granted, your phone's screen will be also streamed, but you can switch it to a nice blank desktop with a pretty wallpaper while GPMusic streams in the background :)
Yeah, I've done this, I'm just looking for a more elegant solution. Thanks, though! :)

I don't even think the A9 is that bad tbh. I rip on it for looking like an iphone because it's so egregious but it looks nice. If the M10 is a higher specced bigger battery version of that phone then it's a solid phone imo. Still wouldn't get it because I'd be too scared HTC is going outa bizness but still.

NotBacon

Posting from my brand new 5X!! Loving it, but wish I knew how to make nexus imprint not vibrate upon unlock...

Let us know if there are any glaring performance problems after you have a few hours with it and everything is synced. Not sure if the verge 5X review is telling it as it is, or just verging...

Let us know if there are any glaring performance problems after you have a few hours with it and everything is synced. Not sure if the verge 5X review is telling it as it is, or just verging...

Performance is very fluid, not sure what the Verge is talking about.

Typical for 808. Does it on the Pure too. Most won't notice unless they came from another recent device. I noticed immediately.
Yeah, Qualcomm has let everyone using their chips down this year. That said, encryption might also be affecting the performance of the 5X. It doesn't seem to be much of an issue on the 6P though.

I can't believe they still don't even have these up for order in Australia yet. They've released Marshmallow images for the original 5 and 6 already. Blargh. Not that it matters I suppose, I'm planning to wait until CF Auto-root works before I really started using it anyway.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I can't believe they still don't even have these up for order in Australia yet. They've released Marshmallow images for the original 5 and 6 already. Blargh. Not that it matters I suppose, I'm planning to wait until CF Auto-root works before I really started using it anyway.

Agreed. My nexus 5 smashed for the third time and Im not dropping another $250 on fixing it so currently rocking a HTC desire 300. So Frustrating.

I really need to ghet mine through Telstra on a plan so hopefully we hear something soon. Apparently Optus has it for $60/month

Agreed. My nexus 5 smashed for the third time and Im not dropping another $250 on fixing it so currently rocking a HTC desire 300. So Frustrating.

I really need to ghet mine through Telstra on a plan so hopefully we hear something soon. Apparently Optus has it for $60/month

Yeah, I had terrible luck with the glass on my original Nexus 5 , I had 2 screens shatter from minor drops within 6 months of the release.

Haven't had any problems since I got the proper case for it, its amazing what a difference that tiny little bit of elevation from the case edge makes.

Ty4on

It's that god damn encryption. My Nexus 6 started flying when i took encryption off.
I don't get it. They have hardware encryption so performance shouldn't be affected. All iPhone have full disc encryption and are despite that the fastest in storage speed.
I really wish Google would at least give the option to turn the encryption off. It's nonsense.
It kinda has to be on by default or else nobody would use it. It's kinda like how software updates are automatic, regular consumers don't understand the importance until a security flaw affects then. With full disc encryption turning it on (or off) is also not simple as you have to encrypt or decrypt the entire disc.

I don't get it. They have hardware encryption so performance shouldn't be affected. All iPhone have full disc encryption and are despite that the fastest in storage speed.

Hardware encryption still takes time (if your data can be decrypted in 0 time then your encryption is busted*) its just faster than software encryption since its got dedicated hardware to do it.

*Even assuming you violate the laws of physics and construct an algorithm that runs in 0 time , merely running in 0 time automatically busts your encryption since people can test all the finite possible keys in 0 time to decrypt the data.

Pyrokai

I think the post above my previous one explains the reason.

I mean, I'm asking because I would think I wouldn't want to turn it off. But you're ready and willing to turn it off. I was hoping you could explain?

Not trying to be smart. I'm clueless. I barely knew what a kernel is.

Jzero

I mean, I'm asking because I would think I wouldn't want to turn it off. But you're ready and willing to turn it off. I was hoping you could explain?

Not trying to be smart. I'm clueless. I barely knew what a kernel is.

I turned encryption off because it makes the phone faster and i don't have anything too private on my phone's storage. Even if they were to get into it, they would need my Google password to get into my sensitive data, and i have two step verification on.

I've been eligible for a phone upgrade for awhile now, and my current phone is starting to die. Looking around, I found a deal for a Galaxy Note 4 at BestBuy to be used with Sprint (online only).

(Note 4 link)

Deal is $1 down--which becomes ~$100 total (sales tax of $65 + $36 new phone activation fee at sprint; grumble grumble.) Rather impulsively, I ordered it last night. Anyone have any recommendations? I will likely also hit up the XDA forums to root it so I can remove/disable bloatware. I have a Samsung device now, and have a tablet as well, and though I'm not impressed by TouchWiz I've never had any issues with it.

this

Jzero

I don't think this is an encryption problem. Pretty sure the dedicated AES hardware is being utilized on the new Nexuses.

Oh I understand now

yep, i'm sure it's just a placebo effect.

wRwzRuk.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom