• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I'm asking because I would think I wouldn't want to turn it off. But you're ready and willing to turn it off. I was hoping you could explain?

Not trying to be smart. I'm clueless. I barely knew what a kernel is.

Performance is much better with it off. If I have a fingerprint on my phone that's good enough for me for security. I don't need encryption since I don't keep anything important on my phone anyway.

So they had to use a tripod because the phone doesn't have OIS.
Maybe, maybe not. Who knows. They might've used one even if both phones did have OIS. There are plenty of videos on YouTube with other phones that have OIS where the phones weren't held by hand.

IceIpor

Well for those in Canada, the Nexus 5X seems to be shipping out today and some will receive it by today as well using Canada Post.
Current date
2015/10/21
Expected delivery
2015/10/21

This is the most up-to-date information available. Check back for updates or sign up for email notifications
History
Date Time Location Description Retail Location Signatory Name
2015/10/20 22:33 MISSISSAUGA, ON Item processed
00:58 MISSISSAUGA, ON Electronic information submitted by shipper.

NotBacon

yep, i'm sure it's just a placebo effect.

wRwzRuk.png

Why are you bringing up the N6? Everyone knows it did AES in software.

Although if you really want to talk about it, I never noticed an actual difference encrypted vs decrypted. The only reason there was so much buzz around it was because of some published benchmarks. And we all know how much benchmarks matter these days.

tzare

so now that you talk about encryption, what about those ' private' modes some oems include? For example I use it on my note 4 it is quite handy. Not sure if it uses encryption, but i would guess so, only applied to what i choose instead of all internal memory (or SD)
I think huawei has something similar too.

Mindwipe

Is there a way to bring back the old way of copy and pasting? 6 has managed to make me hate android more than 5.

What don't you like about it? I think it's a thousand times better than the muddled, slow mess that copy and paste was in 5.

It's actually one of my favourite things about Marshmallow. No more trying to work out which opaque icon is copy and which one is paste, with no undo if you guess wrong!

Reckoner

Should the A9 with the 617 perform well? Looks like a winner from HTC, apart from battery lmao for real. I still don't like the logo on front and not having dual front facing speakers, but whatever. I think they'll release a great phone with the 820 next year on the M line.

Should the A9 with the 617 perform well? Looks like a winner from HTC. I still don't like the logo on front and not having dual front facing speakers, but whatever. I think they'll release a great phone with the 820 next year on the M line.
no reason it shouldn't perform well

it's the battery that's the concerning thing on the A9. 2150mah on a 5 inch display. That's smaller than the nexus 5.

tzare

i doubt 617 is any better than 615 in real world performance. Only better spec would be quickcharge support.
Other than that it is low to mid range performance SoC
The rest of the package is okay, but battery is disappointing too.
Should be well below 300. Honor 7 is a much better device imo, or nexus 5x

Reckoner

They did something weird and different, which was putting all bets on build quality into an affordable phone. I think lots of people with little knowledge will be amazed when they pick up the phone, it feels so good, and the price is relatively low. It can either be a success or go really bad.

They did something weird and different, which was putting all bets on build quality into an affordable phone. I think lots of people with little knowledge will be amazed when they pick up the phone, it feels so good, and the price is relatively low. It can either be a success or go really bad.

I don't see how this phone is affordable at all.

Hasney

399 isn't it? For half the price you get a phone with premium build quality. I can see people falling for that. Even more so if it indeed performs well in casual use.

Depends where you are. Remember how some people were bitching about the Google Play pricing on the new Nexus phones? This one has spiked even more in the UK. I'll see what carrier pricing is like, but unlocked, it's not a good deal at all.

EDIT: Can get a Nexus 5X cheaper or a 32GB Galaxy S6 for only £20 more then the 16GB A9.

Reckoner

Depends where you are. Remember how some people were bitching about the Google Play pricing on the new Nexus phones? This one has spiked even more in the UK. I'll see what carrier pricing is like, but unlocked, it's not a good deal at all.

I'm in Europe also. :p It's rarely a good deal buying a phone over here.

Hasney

I'm in Europe also. :p It's rarely a good deal buying a phone over here.

I've just gone through all the Sim Free deals on Carphone Warehouse because they charge the current RRP over here. The 16GB A9 is more expensive than any other Android base model flagship other than Sony and HTC's own M9.... Wow. You can even get an iPhone 6 16GB cheaper.

Reckoner

I've just gone through all the Sim Free deals on Carphone Warehouse because they charge the current RRP over here. The 16GB A9 is more expensive than any other Android base model flagship other than Sony and HTC's own M9.... Wow. You can even get an iPhone 6 16GB cheaper.

The 6 is still 650 euros over here. Things may differ in the UK from the rest of Europe.

Hasney

The 6 is still 650 euros over here. Things may differ in the UK from the rest of Europe.

iPhone 6 16GB here is £459 direct from Apple or at Carphone Warehouse. I went to HTCs site and the two places to pre-order sim free they link to is Carphone Warehouse and Mobile Phones Direct. The A9 2GB/16GB is £469.99 and £449.99 respectively on those sites.

Reckoner

iPhone 6 16GB here is £459 direct from Apple or at Carphone Warehouse. I went to HTCs site and the two places to pre-order sim free they link to is Carphone Warehouse and Mobile Phones Direct. The A9 2GB/16GB is £469.99 and £449.99 respectively on those sites.

Oh I thought it was going to cost 399 euros at most. Yeah, I don't understand HTC at all. Seems like a missed opportunity at trying to profit with a filthy strategy.

Hasney

iphone 6 is last year's model though...

I know, but we're looking at what is supposed to be mid-tier here and if someone can afford the A9 from the general public and want an OK phone with a premium build quality, unless they have an aversion to iOS, they're going to go with the iPhone.

If you want Android, the 6P is £20 cheaper, the G4 is £70 cheaper the 5X is £120 cheaper, and the Moto X Play is £200 cheaper

Oh I thought it was going to cost 399 euros at most. Yeah, I don't understand HTC at all. Seems like a missed opportunity at trying to profit with a filthy strategy.

Yeah it's madness. Euro pricing hasn't been announced, but this was on GSMArena

Although HTC hasn't yet announced official pricing for the Eurozone, media outlets in Germany are expecting the One A9 to go for €599

We're also not getting the 32GB/3GB RAM model, only the 16GB/2GB version

820 to be made using good processes and whatnot:

Thanks to a leakster account on Weibo that has been spilling the beans on upcoming chipsets for a few months with a good track record, we are now learning that Snapdragon 820 will likely be produced with Samsung's second generation 14nm process. The first 14nm chipsets, such as the Exynos 7420 in the Galaxy S6, or the Apple A9 in the iPhone 6s, are apparently using the "early" Low Power Enhanced (LPE) nodes, that are introductory for the process, while the next stage is 14nm Laser-Produced Plasma (LPP) chips.

This has been such an annoying process, my (future to be) telecom provider has no idea when the Nexus 6P will be carried on their inventory, they do mention it on their website though. It's the first phone listed yet the representatives have no idea about the release date or price or anything for that matter.

I can't even reserve it.

Christ.

JzKGOjM.png

This has been such an annoying process, my (future to be) telecom provider has no idea when the Nexus 6P will be carried on their inventory, they do mention it on their website though. It's the first phone listed yet the representatives have no idea about the release date or price or anything for that matter.

I can't even reserve it.

Christ.

JzKGOjM.png

I can tell you. It's november 2nd.

hitgirl

Hmm. 5X arrives Thursday. Girlfriend leaving on airplane Friday to join me on vacation, could bring me my phone.. I'd have to wait a week to use it otherwise.. Not sure if it's a silly request to bring me my phone.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I used to....

Didn't like the overheating and throttling for something as simple as web browsing so I returned it.

Weird. I have not experienced the overheating issue or just have not noticed it. I will test that today. How can you tell if its throttling?

this_guy

5X has shipped and should arrive Friday. I'll have a nice camera for Halloween parties this weekend. (2014 Moto X camera is horrible)

If the HTC A9 had a larger battery I think I'd definitely consider it. I like the size, camera impressions are good so far, and you sacrifice a weaker soc for more ram and premium feeling build quality. I don't play games on my phone so for day to day usage the processor should be snappy. US pricing is fine, but it seems like it's way too high in other countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom