• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Comment section shitting on Engadget for the quality of the review, but mainlyfor the camera portion of the Nexus 6P: http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/19/nexus-6p-review/

Why? That sounds pretty positive after reading it. It's an upgrade over the Nexus 6, which you could get good shots out of, but the software and focusing issues were shit. Since it's a review and generally, outside of benchmarks, is subjective, the main issue he has is with the 4:3 default and the reviewer even says it's an issue for him rather than the phone.

People acting like they're The Verge or some shit. Fucking internet comments.

Massa

Hey GAF, picking a cheap new phone for my mom. LG G3, Moto X 2nd or X Play? They're about the same price. Any thoughts?

SimleuqiR

My 6p order just went to pending. It's happening

Some of us have been in pending for a while now, but unfortunately it don't seem like el Goog will start shipping until next week.

I so wish they would start shipping this week.
Supposedly the Google Store is out of stock for the 6P.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Android Central is pushing an Android history series: http://www.androidcentral.com/android-pre-history?utm_source=ac&utm_medium=dlvrit

There's even an hands on with Sooner, the very first android phone:

htc-sooner-retrospective-02.jpg

this_guy

Pocketnow compares Nexus 5X with Moto X Pure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_zth08zFLw

Seems like the 5X is more of an outdoor and low light camera and the X Pure is an indoor camera. Plus the X Pure shoots better video.

The Moto Pure is a bigger phone than I would like. If the size didn't bother me I would have went ahead with the Nexus 6P (difference is only $70 when comparing 32gb model with 5x).

It's nice to see that Motorola finally has decent cameras though.

Maybe someone here can help me out with this...

My phone is an LG G2 with Android 5.0.2

I have the Timely app installed because of some previous issues with the built in alarm.

Is there a way to keep my phone from vibrating (ie: put on do not disturb) for phone calls and notifications but not block out the sound for the alarm?

Had someone calling me all night waking me up but I couldn't do anything about it for fear of missing my alarm in the morning. I miss a standard "silent" option that would allow the alarm through from previous versions of Android :(

Any input greatly appreciated.

Jzero

you can see that status in the play store instead of the device store.

Play.google.com

Settings Cog > My account and the date is there. mine has said October 30 for about a week.

Awesome, mine is leaving in 6 days :D
I don't know why the hell they don't include this info in the Google Store.

xnxqRf2.png

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Paul O'Brien ‏@PaulOBrien 53 seconds ago

I’m hearing CPW Nexus 6P shipments are now expected to go out Friday for Monday delivery… Unconfirmed atm.

Hoping for an early delivery on this side of the pond

CronoShot

5X, why u no ship.

Even looking at the store, if I ordered another 5X right now, it leaves the warehouse by Oct 22. I ordered my 5X weeks ago and it's going out the same day (or god forbid, even later) as someone who ordered today?

5X, why u no ship.

Even looking at the store, if I ordered another 5X right now, it leaves the warehouse by Oct 22. I ordered my 5X weeks ago and it's going out the same day (or god forbid, even later) as someone who ordered today?

Probably lack of demand or perhaps signs of good supply. Given LG's inability to provide enough stock for the 4 and 5, though, I assume it is the former.

People downplay it in numbers but the app problem still exists in android. Apps that are on both are usually inferior on android and other apps usually come first to iOS (understandably so...but still sucks).

People downplay it in numbers but the app problem still exists in android. Apps that are on both are usually inferior on android and other apps usually come first to iOS (understandably so...but still sucks).

IPhone users also pay for apps. Stuff that is usually free on Android seems like it costs money on Apple.

SimleuqiR

iOS apps have their own teams, separate from the Android versions of the app.

If working on iPhone hardware is a lot easier (since they have less devices to worry about) why should Google delay development of these apps? Who are they helping in doing so? Android fanboys?

I don't understand the logic.

An iOS Google user is still a Google user.

My husband MKBHD (jk) has a website up finally. Vox media he is , sharing the same space with Verge and Polygon but at least he is now the source that I can go to cutting the rest of them off. I'm so happy for him!

You will get a better deal when it shows up places without tax.
Hopefully ;______;
And here I was trying to feel bad because it said my phone wouldn't be leaving the warehouse for 2 weeks. Perspective

You have no idea how jealous I am :( until next year I wait :(

Rocky85

Banned
What don't you like about it? I think it's a thousand times better than the muddled, slow mess that copy and paste was in 5.

It's actually one of my favourite things about Marshmallow. No more trying to work out which opaque icon is copy and which one is paste, with no undo if you guess wrong!
Maybe I just dont know how to use it. Im trying to paste a url link into chrome and 6 out of 10 times it keeps selecting part of the address.

Huawei is offering preorders now but they are also out of 64GB and only have 128GB. That's a lot for one phone tbh. The payment plan would be cool but I already have too many lines of credit so opening another one would be foolish...ugh...this sucks
I guess until November I wait ;____;

Will you be able to add Android Protect (or whatever it's called) when buying from those places though, or do you have to buy through Google to get that?

Goota buy through Google Id guess otherwise people could buy broken phones for really cheap and then the warranty.

DrFurbs

How long in hours will the battery last for an average user of the nexus 5X? Im using a nexus 5 and im a moderate user and I get about 14 hours which i hate.

I really wish someone would invent a new battery that lasts more than a fucking day.

Huawei is offering preorders now but they are also out of 64GB and only have 128GB. That's a lot for one phone tbh. The payment plan would be cool but I already have too many lines of credit so opening another one would be foolish...ugh...this sucks

Put it on an existing card & pay what you would have for the 64 gb towards the card, then break the extra $100 over a couple months

I'm just hoping they have the 128gb when I go to buy it =/ . Technically a month and some change from now

Pyrokai

Mine says it ships between November 18-20 :(

Status is still "preordered" :(

Which one are you waning? The 32 GB?

You guys are making me feel like I should have gotten the 64 GB :(

Is there anyone else in my boat?!

I'm ACTUALLY considering cancelling my 32GB aluminum that I can have in November
to a 64GB graphite that I'll have.......forever from now :/ (says I have to join a wait list)

Put it on an existing card & pay what you would have for the 64 gb towards the card, then break the extra $100 over a couple months

I'm just hoping they have the 128gb when I go to buy it =/ . Technically a month and some change from now

I could do this but poop...I already have the 5X reserved that way and it's coming tomorrow so that's going to be paid off instantly...now do I want to add another 700+ again when I really want 500? Dilemma ;___;

Mine says it ships between November 18-20 :(

Status is still "preordered" :(

Which one are you waning? The 32 GB?

You guys are making me feel like I should have gotten the 64 GB :(

Is there anyone else in my boat?!

I'm ACTUALLY considering cancelling my 32GB aluminum that I can have in November
to a 64GB graphite that I'll have.......forever from now :/ (says I have to join a wait list)

I want the 64GB but Huawei is selling the 128gb on their site. That's a lot of space that I won't use since I basically use the cloud and on top of that I run through phones like water so it's a huge investment for something that might be used in 6 months until I'm on to the next one lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom