• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroid

I can't decide between the Honor 7 or the One Plus Two. Any recomendations? I can get the one Honor 7 for 299€. The OPT is 399€.

popeutlal

Anyone here using a Zenfone 2? I need a phone that'll last me until next year's nexus phones. Currently deciding between a HTC M8 or Zenfone 2.
I use it as my main phone. I have the 4gb version, for $300 phone with no lag and good battery life...there's not much to complain about.

kinggroin

Banned
Early A9 impressions.

Fast. Insanely light. Looks like a less refined iPhone body. Feels amazing in the hand. Screen is slightly cooler than the 6p, less saturated. OLED has perfect black levels.

Camera. Oh shit. In auto mode (no HDR), in mid to low light its trading punches with a fucking 6p. No scratch that, I'm getting cleaner images from the A9!

High contrast shots and good lighting haven't done yet.

CronoShot

Early A9 impressions.

Fast. Insanely light. Looks like a less refined iPhone body. Feels amazing in the hand. Screen is slightly cooler than the 6p, less saturated. OLED has perfect black levels.

Camera. Oh shit. In auto mode (no HDR), in mid to low light its trading punches with a fucking 6p. No scratch that, I'm getting cleaner images from the A9!

I would be interested in the A9 if it wasn't such a complete iPhone clone and had a better SoC.

Also, they had to have the fucking chin bar. Again.

kinggroin

Banned
I would be interested in the A9 if it wasn't such a complete iPhone clone and had a better SoC.

Also, they had to have the fucking chin bar. Again.

Not a fan of the iPhone body style that HTC started?

SoC only sucks for intense gaming from what I've played on it so far.

All that said, it feels like it should be $350

Please post some impressions of the battery as soon as it makes sense.
unless there's voodoo behind the scenes there's simply no way a 2150mah battery will produce anything other than shitty battery life on an android phone that is 5 inches lol.

Should be interesting. Ya never know.

jwick

Unconfirmed Member
What color did you guys go with for the 6P?

Tough choice -- Graphite looks clean but seems like it would show nicks and fingerprints a lot more if you go caseless. Aluminum may hold up better but the camera area is more of an eye sore. Decisions, decisions.

kinggroin

Banned
Update on camera.

When we introduce more contrast into the shot, the 5X and 6p pull ahead. Better dynamic range.

It seems flat lighting and low contrast shots, the A9's great noise reduction helps give it an edge in auto mode. The 5x and 6p get up to some insane iso levels and without HDR+ can introduce a lot of noise.

Still haven't done shots with great lighting.

Anyway, no more info from me. Phone taken away. Lol.

Anyone know how the new 5X is vs the original Nexus 5 on battery life? I really don't care about any of the new functionality, but I'd like a better battery if I can get it.

CronoShot

Not a fan of the iPhone body style that HTC started?

SoC only sucks for intense gaming from what I've played on it so far.

All that said, it feels like it should be $350

I know Apple copied HTC first, but at least they had some design differences. The A9 is 100% an iPhone 6 with the camera moved to the center and a different shaped home button.

And the SoC is basically identical to the Snapdragon 615 (just with Quick Charge 3.0 support and a different modem), which has struggled in other 1080p phones before.

I know Apple copied HTC first, but at least they had some design differences. The A9 is 100% an iPhone 6 with the camera moved to the center and a different shaped home button.

And the SoC is basically identical to the Snapdragon 615 (just with Quick Charge 3.0 support and a different modem), which has struggled in other 1080p phones before.
615 is definitely solid. At least it is in my xplay. BUT it's definitely noticable if you visit a site or use an app with a lot of photos/graphics. There be stutta. Other than that it's all the same shit.

dralla

I need a new phone pretty bad, my first gen Moto G is really starting to show its age. Not looking for a flag ship, something in the $300 range. eBay has the LG Flex 2 for $250 which looks to be a great deal - http://www.ebay.com/itm/17183867756...&afepn=5335869999&afepn=5335869999&rmvSB=true - but I'm on T-Mobile, and since this as an ATT phone (unlocked), I won't get any OTA updates. I'm conflicted because I don't think I'll find a better phone for that price, but being stuck on an old version of Lolipop, which supposedly lead to overheating problems which have since been fixed in updates, worries me. I'm also not thrilled with the LG skin on Android since I'm used to near stock on my Motorola. Basically, is there any way to get OTA updates on T-Mobile and/or remove the LG bloat?

I need a new phone pretty bad, my first gen Moto G is really starting to show its age. Not looking for a flag ship, something in the $300 range. eBay has the LG Flex 2 for $250 which looks to be a great deal - http://www.ebay.com/itm/171838677560...999&rmvSB=true - but I'm on T-Mobile, and since this as an ATT phone (unlocked), I won't get any OTA updates. I'm conflicted because I don't think I'll find a better phone for that price, but being stuck on an old version of Lolipop, which supposedly lead to overheating problems which have since been fixed in updates, worries me. I'm also not thrilled with the LG skin on Android since I'm used to near stock on my Motorola. Basically, is there any way to get OTA updates on T-Mobile and/or remove the LG bloat?
why not just get the zenfone 2, throw nova launcher on there or root it and do whatever you want and you're good.

There's also some cheap Lenovo phone someone here who I'm forgetting is using that you can root and install stock on. Think it was the Lenovo K3 or some shit. Not sure if tmobile supports that one though.

kinggroin

Banned

I guess it depends how you define struggled. Just moving through the OS and chrome has given me no noticeable performance difference between it and the 5x.

3d gaming is the only weak spot so far.

this_guy

Early A9 impressions.

How's battery life? Ordered the 5x, but I'm seriously considering the A9. I don't play games on my phone so I think real world usage I won't notice the slower processor, and having the extra ram would be nice. I like the size (width is much less than 5x) and build quality, plus on HTC's website I wouldn't have to pay taxes so I'll save $50 versus the 5x 32gb. The premium audio dac also would be nice to have to use with my Sennheiser headphones. Only thing holding me back is the small battery size. Htc uh oh protection is the cherry on top.

I sound like an ad.

dralla

why not just get the zenfone 2, throw nova launcher on there or root it and do whatever you want and you're good.

There's also some cheap Lenovo phone someone here who I'm forgetting is using that you can root and install stock on. Think it was the Lenovo K3 or some shit. Not sure if tmobile supports that one though.

I've read the software is terrible. I've never done any sort of rooting or custom loaders, so I've always been weary of trying.

I need a new phone pretty bad, my first gen Moto G is really starting to show its age. Not looking for a flag ship, something in the $300 range. eBay has the LG Flex 2 for $250 which looks to be a great deal - http://www.ebay.com/itm/17183867756...&afepn=5335869999&afepn=5335869999&rmvSB=true - but I'm on T-Mobile, and since this as an ATT phone (unlocked), I won't get any OTA updates. I'm conflicted because I don't think I'll find a better phone for that price, but being stuck on an old version of Lolipop, which supposedly lead to overheating problems which have since been fixed in updates, worries me. I'm also not thrilled with the LG skin on Android since I'm used to near stock on my Motorola. Basically, is there any way to get OTA updates on T-Mobile and/or remove the LG bloat?

Just get a nexus 6.

Saiyan-Rox

Mother fucker

Check out @xdadevelopers's Tweet: https://twitter.com/xdadevelopers/status/656832670610161664?s=15

The FIRST thing I wanted to do was unlock and remove encryption. Now I have no way to do this without voiding my warranty.

This doesn't shock me whatsoever. Google have been trying more and more to try and make you not want to flash custom ROM or even root for that matter. ever since they failed to acquire cyanogen they've had encryption, now added a warning level system on boot to tell you your system image may be corrupted and untrusted and now this.

in other news anyone want to see an Aluminium unboxing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o4CgYg-Zc0

There's an update to that story.

juVcZYE.jpg

Hasney

It's the chip and the body that causes the heat on the Flex, there's a reason it's a high specced phone at that price. The updates just slow down the CPU and possibly the GPU to make it work.

I thought once unlocked, it got away from carrier updates though? Maybe just outside the US. You're not getting rid of the LG bloat without rooting and/or flashing also.

Obvious but if you're still in type C denial, here's another: Zenfone 3 will have type C

The company has revealed that its next major entry to the flagship ZenFone series will feature a USB Type-C port.

We asked Asus chairman Jonney Shih whether Asus would eventually adopt USB Type-C for the ZenFone during an exclusive interview with TrustedReviews.

“I think Type C is the way to go, frankly speaking,” Shih told us. “You will see the answer when you see the ZenFone 3.”

popeutlal

I've read the software is terrible. I've never done any sort of rooting or custom loaders, so I've always been weary of trying.
Do you mean the UI or the included software? UI is barely different from stock. All included software can be uninstalled.

hitgirl

You can void a cars warranty by putting an aftermarket part in.

As long as there's no voided warranty screen, like the Moto X/Pure, I'm fine with this.

Noema

It comes with a ton of pre-installed crapware, but it can be disabled without having to root the phone . The Skin Asus uses is ugly, but I don't think it's much worse than TouchWiz or LG's.

It's a solid phone for the price, specially the 4GB $230 model. I think it'll make a great interim phone.

Here's the Anandtech review so you can check it for yourself.

Furyous

For $749 plus tax which amounts to around damn near $830+, you can own an Blackberry Priv.

$830+ can get you:

A Z5 + Asus Zenfone
An LG G3 + Nexus 5X
An Nexus 6P + Nexus 5
An OPO + OP2 plus money in your pocket
An Z5 + G2

Literal *scust* at the price of Priv.

I'm waiting anxiously for news on the American version of the Z5. At least sell it to us via online store with a warranty. Sony fucking up again by not giving the people what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom