• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeIC

Oh word? Here's a gotdamn thought:

Sell us the 5X with built-in storage, microsd support, removable battery, IR blaster, and a 128 GB flash storage option. If that was the high end flagship device that wrecked shit I guranteee it would've been a success. At the bare minimum offer a 64 GB version of the 5X on your site. Really fuck logic because two front facing cameras on the screen is the best way to go. I'm glad it failed personally so that teaches them to give us what we actually want instead of what they think we want.

Lol. That phone wouldn't sell any more than the current version. Just because that's what you want doesn't mean a thing.

Bloodember

Well, I've been using my Galaxy Note 5 for the past day or so and I've come to really like it more than I thought I would. I even like Touch Whiz, didn't think I would with all the hate that I see. The one thing I do love about the OS is I can use folders in the App Drawer, and I can disable many of the apps that came with it, namely anything that says AT&T on it. Haven't used the stylus much, but what I have used of it, I like, not sure how much use I'll get out of it though. I have a shield tablet also, because I wanted the stylus, and very rarely use the stylus with it, so I don't forsee much use with the Note 5 either, we'll see though. As for battery life, not sure yet since I've been using GPS, installing apps and general setup, I'll know more about battery during the next week. Right now with everything that I'm doing it seems to be only getting around 4.5 hrs SOT.

Has Samsung said when they will be upgrading it to Android M (6.0)?

kinggroin

Banned
Wife is really enjoying the Moto G 2015 (2GB). I'm impressed myself how well a cheap ass phone like this gets along.

The G series always been this fresh?

Ty4on

Wife is really enjoying the Moto G 2015 (2GB). I'm impressed myself how well a cheap ass phone like this gets along.

Yup.

I kinda wish they'd make a higher end version of the S410 chipset inside it because it's fast enough for most tasks, only lacking in extra features like 4k recording and it would be even more power efficient on 20 or 14/16 nm.

kinggroin

Banned
Yup.

I kinda wish they'd make a higher end version of the S410 chipset inside it because it's fast enough for most tasks, only lacking in extra features like 4k recording and it would be even more power efficient on 20 or 14/16 nm.

Yo that's the other thing. Crazy battery life. I think the last check she had nearly 3 hours SOT with 40% left.

Not a fan of the colors she chose (pink and yellow), but at least it ain't boring.

Noema

Now that it has 2GB and a decent camera it's a good value phone. My 2013 with only 1GB is often annoying to use and ruins an otherwise solid experience. Sometimes I feel like throwing it against the wall.

My only issues with the 2015 is that the 2GB should be the base at $189. At $230 it's too close to the Moto X Play, and the ZenFone 2 is actually cheaper.

Furyous

Lol. That phone wouldn't sell any more than the current version. Just because that's what you want doesn't mean a thing.

Sheeeeitt, A 5X with microsd support at the bare minimum sells out in the first week, IMHO. A lot of people are holding back because 32 GB of built-in storage as the only option on an Android device in 2015 is laughable.

vwnut13

Now that it has 2GB and a decent camera it's a good value phone. My 2013 with only 1GB is often annoying to use and ruins an otherwise solid experience. Sometimes I feel like throwing it against the wall.

Don't blame it on the 1GB if RAM, blame it on Motorola. They really messed up the memory management on the 2013 Moto G.

Noema

Don't blame it on the 1GB if RAM, blame it on Motorola. They really messed up the memory management on the 2013 Moto G.

Could be. Then again I've tried their stock ROM, The Google play edition 5.1 ROM and Cyanogenmod and they are all pretty wonky.

It's so bad I can't even do anything while I'm using Spotify without having it crash.

Nothing really wrong with my OPO other than lacking band 12. $550 after tax just isn't something I want to spend right now. Even after selling my OPO I'd be out $300 for something that isn't a huge upgrade over what I have.
so what's the next big phone you have your eye on? S7?

so what's the next big phone you have your eye on? S7?

Gonna be really interesting to see what the Snapdragon 820 offers. I'd go S7, but I have a feeling that will be too small for me. HTC and LG should also have their new phones coming out around the same time as the S7, so hopefully something checks all the right boxes for me.

Gonna be really interesting to see what the Snapdragon 820 offers. I'd go S7, but I have a feeling that will be too small for me. HTC and LG should also have their new phones coming out around the same time as the S7, so hopefully something checks all the right boxes for me.
well if the rumours are true they may be releasing a larger variant of the S7 (or edge) at the same time.

I'll consider using my upgrade on it if the battery gets better. I only use my upgrades on really premium shit. So far that's only been iphones lol.

well if the rumours are true they may be releasing a larger variant of the S7 (or edge) at the same time.

I'll consider using my upgrade on it if the battery gets better. I only use my upgrades on really premium shit. So far that's only been iphones lol.

Hopefully they will release a larger S7. I'm thinking of going on T-Mobiles JOD program if they have a decent special for Black Friday on the Note 5 and then jumping to the S7 or whatever next year since you get 3 upgrades a year. I just don't want that program to end before I get my next phone and miss out on it.

I feel like the flagship line will be S7, S7 Edge, and Note 6 next year.

Hopefully microSD comes back in 2016, Samsung must realize by now how much they fucked up in 2015.

Well, I've been using my Galaxy Note 5 for the past day or so and I've come to really like it more than I thought I would. I even like Touch Whiz, didn't think I would with all the hate that I see. The one thing I do love about the OS is I can use folders in the App Drawer, and I can disable many of the apps that came with it, namely anything that says AT&T on it. Haven't used the stylus much, but what I have used of it, I like, not sure how much use I'll get out of it though. I have a shield tablet also, because I wanted the stylus, and very rarely use the stylus with it, so I don't forsee much use with the Note 5 either, we'll see though. As for battery life, not sure yet since I've been using GPS, installing apps and general setup, I'll know more about battery during the next week. Right now with everything that I'm doing it seems to be only getting around 4.5 hrs SOT.

Touchwiz has been "fine" for a long time now, and stock Android was a piece of shit for a long time until very recently. Don't believe anything AndroidGAF says.

Has Samsung said when they will be upgrading it to Android M (6.0)?

No, and Samsung do tend to be pretty slow rolling out new version of Android to any device which isn't the current year's flagship. I expect Note 5 will get it within a few months though.

I feel like the flagship line will be S7, S7 Edge, and Note 6 next year.

Hopefully microSD comes back in 2016, Samsung must realize by now how much they fucked up in 2015.
Even though I don't give a shit about micro SD if the base is 32gb, everyone should implement it like Motorola does. As part of the sim Trey.

Zolf

Finally got my $250 LG G Flex 2 up and running after having to deal with AT&T support just to get the latest firmware update. Decided to go for that one when I saw the specs of the Nexus 5X and was pretty disappointed, although in hindsight I'm not sure saving $180 is worth dealing with the crappy carrier firmware update process (and potential lack of future support). I do have the glorious expandability of micro SD and 3 GB of RAM, and it's overall a very nice device; $250 for an early 2015 high end device feels like a steal and the curved screen is less of a dumb gimmick than I thought.

My first "flagship" Android phone (I swear I'm not gonna chuck it in the washer), which is a Note 5. Plenty to love. The giant screen looks phenomenal, stylus is really nice and it looks and feels like a premium phone for sure.

But I never thought I'd say this, but I think this phone is so big that it's unwieldy. Maybe the size is something I'll get used to more the more I use it, but that's what I said before I bought the phone and right now it feels like the phone is incredibly big. I'm too used to using the phone with one hand, and I found for me it's just not possible to reliably hold the phone and use the thumb to navigate. The form factor with the curved glass back is like they deliberately designed it so you would drop your phone. What's worse is for me, I can't hold the phone with one hand without gripping it a little tighter, but the bezels are so microscopic on the sides that my palm ends up accidentally touching the screen. Tons and tons and tons of "false positive" touches right now. The screen feels hyper sensitive.

Has anyone else had this problem or is it just me being a newbie at phablets? My problem seems to be with how the size, form factor, tiny bezels, and hypersensitive screen all work together to make it unwieldy.

I'm gonna give it a couple more days to get used to it or I'll gave to return it and get back on the hunt for an android phone.

vwnut13

Could be. Then again I've tried their stock ROM, The Google play edition 5.1 ROM and Cyanogenmod and they are all pretty wonky.

It's so bad I can't even do anything while I'm using Spotify without having it crash.

I have no issues on CM12.1.

I just started playing music on Spotify, then I started Google Maps Navigation, watched a video on YouTube, played a song on Google Play Music, started a movie on Google Play Movies, downloaded a file from Google Drive, opened a book in Google Play Books, played Flappy Bird, checked my purchased items in the eBay app, opened TheVerge.com in a new tab on Google Chrome, and Spotify never closed.

When the new task I started paused the Spotify audio, I was able to resume from the place the Spotify song left off, no skipping or restarting.

There was some slowdown, but everything worked as intended. Hell, I never even had the launcher refresh during that entire test, nor did the tab where I typed this post.

My first "flagship" Android phone (I swear I'm not gonna chuck it in the washer), which is a Note 5. Plenty to love. The giant screen looks phenomenal, stylus is really nice and it looks and feels like a premium phone for sure.

But I never thought I'd say this, but I think this phone is so big that it's unwieldy. Maybe the size is something I'll get used to more the more I use it, but that's what I said before I bought the phone and right now it feels like the phone is incredibly big. I'm too used to using the phone with one hand, and I found for me it's just not possible to reliably hold the phone and use the thumb to navigate. The form factor with the curved glass back is like they deliberately designed it so you would drop your phone. What's worse is for me, I can't hold the phone with one hand without gripping it a little tighter, but the bezels are so microscopic on the sides that my palm ends up accidentally touching the screen. Tons and tons and tons of "false positive" touches right now. The screen feels hyper sensitive.

Has anyone else had this problem or is it just me being a newbie at phablets? My problem seems to be with how the size, form factor, tiny bezels, and hypersensitive screen all work together to make it unwieldy.

I'm gonna give it a couple more days to get used to it or I'll gave to return it and get back on the hunt for an android phone.

Put a case on it. Yes, you'll be hiding the phone under it. Do you enjoy damaged phones after dropping them? No? Then put a case on it.

It will be easier to grip with a case on it and you'll soon learn the secret skill passed from one phablet user to the next of cradling the phone under your fingertips which allows you to pass your thumb over most of the screen's width.

Enjoy life with Note, it's the best kind of life.

DrFurbs

Finally got my $250 LG G Flex 2 up and running after having to deal with AT&T support just to get the latest firmware update. Decided to go for that one when I saw the specs of the Nexus 5X and was pretty disappointed, although in hindsight I'm not sure saving $180 is worth dealing with the crappy carrier firmware update process (and potential lack of future support). I do have the glorious expandability of micro SD and 3 GB of RAM, and it's overall a very nice device; $250 for an early 2015 high end device feels like a steal and the curved screen is less of a dumb gimmick than I thought.

What version of android are you rocking?

thuway

I wanna get an S7 but fucking Samsung decided to lock bootloaders on ATT so I'm shit out of luck if I want to root and install CM (the sure fire way to mantain modern updates- blessed Note 3 with 5.1.1)

DagsJT

Thinking of sending my G4 back and maybe getting an S6 instead. The curved back still hasn't won me over and I think I'd prefer the size of the S6.

Edit: Sending the G4 back for a refund and getting a 5X 32GB for an extra £30 instead.

I am sorry but on screen button suck. Specially when you have enough space on the bottom just use that. Half of the program when running in full screen it is so hard to bring the buttons back. It is a waste of space.

you have giant ass finger scanner on the bottom or bezel use it for buttons not screen. It makes things neater. If you must give the option to those who want it on screen anyways.

I'm still never going to understand the extreme love for slow and bloaty microsd card that some of you love so much but I'm glad it's never coming back to the Nexus line. All of Google products work together so well that a is not needed. I only use my 32GB for apps. I don't use it for pictures, I don't use it for music... Nothing but straight apps because everything else is in the cloud that way I can use it on multiple devices instead of the cumbersome processes of downloading everything on 4 separate SD cards. It's so old fashion and annoying especially in this age.

I know some of you guys have your usage but it's time to give it up and embrace the cloud. SD cards are so 2009 lol.

Anyways after 3 days, I'm really really in love with my 5X.. The iPhone has taken a seat for a while because I feel at home again. I'll periodically switch here and there but ugh.... This is like the most solid phone that I needed from Android. Loved my S6 but this phone just blows it out the water for me.

Battery life could be better but it's manageable. The iPhone 6S has incredible battery life and I miss it a ton. Other than that... I hope Google gets on more emojis because... Welp, I miss those on iOS too. Anyone else in love or out of love with their 5X 😚😚

I loved SD cards back when windows mobile was a thing, then I got my first Android phone, which didn't have one, and got used to not having expandable storage. Even convinced myself I didn't want one, but I was just giving into Google's nonsense. My current phone has an SD card slot, and while it's still not a requirement or need that my next phone has to have one, I will appreciate it that much more if it does. Music is extremely important to me and I like having an SD card for media, leaving the internal storage almost exclusively for apps and stuff of that nature.

With Google making sd card support a lot better with Marshmallow (probably mainly did it for their Android One phones), essentially doing what MS did with Windows Phone, it would be great if Google went back to offering devices with expandable storage. If even more OEMs start moving away from expandable storage, though, then I'm gonna need for everyone involved to make 64GB the minimum internal capacity.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
SD support was one of the reasons i got the G4 over tge Galaxy devices. That and im not a fan of the look of Samsung phones.

Ashes

Banned
Google hates microSD, it will never return to Nexus.

It's amazing how far Nexus has come in just a couple of years though. Nexus used to mean garbage hardware paired with garbage stock Android.

I think you were out of touch with nexus crowd dude. I remember going out to buy the galaxy nexus for the hardware & stock Android. The camera was poor though.

Pyrokai

I don't reallynubdwrstabd why they would get rid of the SD card expansion. It is the main disappointment with the 5X and 6P

Zolf

What version of android are you rocking?

5.1.1 after the update, was 5.0.1 stock. Sounds like they will support 6.0 but I will have to jump through hoops if I need to upgrade since I'm not an ATT subscriber but I have an ATT branded device.

Regarding SD cards, not sure how much I will need it but the point is that it's there if I do. I'm coming from a Nexus 4 (which I still like) where the largest storage available was 16GB and even when I used the cloud for everything I couldn't do much in terms of installing apps, and I've gotten tired of using the cloud for things where simple files would suffice. The cloud is great for things where you don't know what you're going to want beforehand, but in my case it often feels like a more complex, less efficient solution just to workaround a lack of storage space (which feels like an artificial limitation just to move people to the cloud).

Jigolo

Since the standard chip for next year is the 820 (which I presume will be great) I have my eye on a few devices for next year. HTC flagship, Sony flagship (I think the Z line is done), and Nexus.

HTC is in a weird position right now. I thought after them seeing how big of a fuck up the M9 was things would start changing for them but with their recent announcement I'm more skeptical than I was two weeks ago. Still hoping to see something amazing from the M10 (ala EVleaks concept render tier stuff)

For Sony I'm hoping they get their shit together with releasing phones worldwide so I can actually seriously consider their device here in the US. I think they're done with the Z line so their flagship will have a new name. One last thing from Sony is that they start using their new beta skin that more closely resembles stock with a few Sony features in the new 2016 flagship. From what I saw it looked great.

Nexus, it's always hard to buy anything other than this device. As a Nexus owner since the Galaxy Nexus it's been a godsend having software support that is comparable to Apple, but better in so many ways. Each software update only makes the devices better without slowing them down at all (like Apple does). The only thing I hope they make is a Nexus 5P like with smaller dimensions/bezels and a solid price for Sep/Oct. If you're giving me an 820 in September when the chip comes out in March, I expect pricing similar to this year's 6P.

Oh God just realized all my hopes ride on the 820 actually being a good chip. If that fails, lol

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Since the standard chip for next year is the 820 (which I presume will be great) I have my eye on a few devices for next year. HTC flagship, Sony flagship (I think the Z line is done), and Nexus.

HTC is in a weird position right now. I thought after them seeing how big of a fuck up the M9 was things would start changing for them but with their recent announcement I'm more skeptical than I was two weeks ago. Still hoping to see something amazing from the M10 (ala EVleaks concept render tier stuff)

For Sony I'm hoping they get their shit together with releasing phones worldwide so I can actually seriously consider their device here in the US. I think they're done with the Z line so their flagship will have a new name. One last thing from Sony is that they start using their new beta skin that more closely resembles stock with a few Sony features in the new 2016 flagship. From what I saw it looked great.

Nexus, it's always hard to buy anything other than this device. As a Nexus owner since the Galaxy Nexus it's been a godsend having software support that is comparable to Apple, but better in so many ways. Each software update only makes the devices better without slowing them down at all (like Apple does). The only thing I hope they make is a Nexus 5P like with smaller dimensions/bezels and a solid price for Sep/Oct. If you're giving me an 820 in September when the chip comes out in March, I expect pricing similar to this year's 6P.

Oh God just realized all my hopes ride on the 820 actually being a good chip. If that fails, lol

The new HTC Phone is the best kit they've put together in years. The only issue is the price. Idk wtf you are smoking being MORE worried.

The new HTC Phone is the best kit they've put together in years. The only issue is the price. Idk wtf you are smoking being MORE worried.
ONLY the price? Not the 5 inch 1080p phone with a 2100mah battery lol.

Again maybe the 617 works voodoo magic but I'll be shocked. It's certainly a pretty phone though.

The 820 will be a big upgrade over the 810/808. Hell even the 620 will be an upgrade, performance wise, over them if Qualcomm doesn't gimp them.

NotBacon

I don't reallynubdwrstabd why they would get rid of the SD card expansion. It is the main disappointment with the 5X and 6P

It seems the majority of people don't really want to mess with SD cards these days. It's just a more streamlined experience. See: iphone.

It seems the majority of people don't really want to mess with SD cards these days. It's just a more streamlined experience. See: iphone.
it's also a bit conflicting when your phone is rocking beast memory and you throw in a slow ass SD card. Especially if you're installing apps on it.

Ideally phones would come with enough minimum storage that SD cards aren't necessary. I'm cool with samsung as they've moved to 32gb standard which is enough for now for the vast majority of people I would assume.

Hasney

In the US the price is an issue. Over here, it's hilarious.

We're only getting the 16GB model too. Not sure why you'd get a gimped little thing like that over an iPhone 6 and save some money.

Husker86

People need to buy proper high speed sd cards if they're using it for apps.

And then there's the issue. People buy cheap SD cards, phone performs like shit in some cases, people blame Android.

Then again, you would think that the majority of Nexus buyers would be slightly more informed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom