• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
ONLY the price? Not the 5 inch 1080p phone with a 2100mah battery lol.

Again maybe the 617 works voodoo magic but I'll be shocked. It's certainly a pretty phone though.

Only the price. The 617 seems more than fine. Initial tests show the camera is great. The body style is fine. It ships with 6.0 out the box.

Wtf do you people want?

Jzero

Still waiting for Marshmallow on my Nexus 6 (giving it t my sister so i don't want to root it again) and my 6P to get charged on my credit card. Waiting sucks.

EmiPrime

The 32GB 3GB RAM A9 isn't coming out in the UK.

They want £430 for a 16GB phone when the 32GB Nexus 6P can be had for £450.

HTC can fuck off.

Hasney

Only the price. The 617 seems more than fine. Initial tests show the camera is great. The body style is fine. It ships with 6.0 out the box.

Wtf do you people want?

Pricing phones accordingly. You can say "only the price", but when every almost every flagship is cheaper than them (and by quite a wide margin with some of them) with more battery, RAM, storage and power, why would I buy the little joke?

Kevyt

I'm still never going to understand the extreme love for slow and bloaty microsd card that some of you love so much but I'm glad it's never coming back to the Nexus line. All of Google products work together so well that a is not needed. I only use my 32GB for apps. I don't use it for pictures, I don't use it for music... Nothing but straight apps because everything else is in the cloud that way I can use it on multiple devices instead of the cumbersome processes of downloading everything on 4 separate SD cards. It's so old fashion and annoying especially in this age.

I know some of you guys have your usage but it's time to give it up and embrace the cloud. SD cards are so 2009 lol.

Anyways after 3 days, I'm really really in love with my 5X.. The iPhone has taken a seat for a while because I feel at home again. I'll periodically switch here and there but ugh.... This is like the most solid phone that I needed from Android. Loved my S6 but this phone just blows it out the water for me.

Battery life could be better but it's manageable. The iPhone 6S has incredible battery life and I miss it a ton. Other than that... I hope Google gets on more emojis because... Welp, I miss those on iOS too. Anyone else in love or out of love with their 5X 😚😚

About your SD card being so "2009" comment; that's the stupidest argument I've heard for being against SD cards on Nexus devices. Yes some of us dinosaurs have uses for SD cards and it's about giving users more options for storage in the end.

kinggroin

Banned
Since the standard chip for next year is the 820 (which I presume will be great) I have my eye on a few devices for next year. HTC flagship, Sony flagship (I think the Z line is done), and Nexus.

HTC is in a weird position right now. I thought after them seeing how big of a fuck up the M9 was things would start changing for them but with their recent announcement I'm more skeptical than I was two weeks ago. Still hoping to see something amazing from the M10 (ala EVleaks concept render tier stuff)

For Sony I'm hoping they get their shit together with releasing phones worldwide so I can actually seriously consider their device here in the US. I think they're done with the Z line so their flagship will have a new name. One last thing from Sony is that they start using their new beta skin that more closely resembles stock with a few Sony features in the new 2016 flagship. From what I saw it looked great.

Nexus, it's always hard to buy anything other than this device. As a Nexus owner since the Galaxy Nexus it's been a godsend having software support that is comparable to Apple, but better in so many ways. Each software update only makes the devices better without slowing them down at all (like Apple does). The only thing I hope they make is a Nexus 5P like with smaller dimensions/bezels and a solid price for Sep/Oct. If you're giving me an 820 in September when the chip comes out in March, I expect pricing similar to this year's 6P.

Oh God just realized all my hopes ride on the 820 actually being a good chip. If that fails, lol

The A9 is pretty damn dope. Best phone of there's since M7. If that's a sign of what's to come, the M10 should be amazing as a true premium device

Edit: Overpriced. We've said as much. Would be great @$350 out the door.

Furyous

No comment on the sd card warz. Let's talk positivity and cheer up a bit!!

Are there OEMs besides Sony that provide AOSP source and build instructions for their devices? Really want to know as I'm tired of seeing OEMs drop support for devices six months, one year, and two years after release. Dropping $500+ a year on a phone does not sound like good fiscal policy.

About your SD card being so "2009" comment; that's the stupidest argument I've heard for being against SD cards on Nexus devices. Yes some of us dinosaurs have uses for SD cards and it's about giving users more options for storage in the end.

How is that stupid? How many mobile devices are using SD cards these days? The top selling devices aren't and that's all that matters. It's not stupid when from a global look at the market, SD cards have been left behind.

That's my point. It's okay to not agree, doesn't make my argue to stupid though especially considering almost every device is moving on.

I think they have given storage options and it's based on what you are willing to pay for. If I want 64GB or 128Gb I can buy it. Or stick with 32GB and back stuff up in the cloud. May not have an SD card but I can certainly use my resource that are much quicker than inserting a card into my phone.

Kevyt

How is that stupid? How many mobile devices are using SD cards these days? The top selling devices aren't and that's all that matters. It's not stupid when from a global look at the market, SD cards have been left behind.

That's my point. It's okay to not agree, doesn't make my argue to stupid though especially considering almost every device is moving on.

I think they have given storage options and it's based on what you are willing to pay for. If I want 64GB or 128Gb I can buy it. Or stick with 32GB and back stuff up in the cloud. May not have an SD card but I can certainly use my resource that are much quicker than inserting a card into my phone.

Like I said, it's about giving the end user more options and the whole "so 2009!! LOLZ " is quite frankly, a very stupid claim.

I agree on sd cards being pointless, but for those of us who travel alot 32gb ain't an option. Cloud storage either doesn't work or is garbage on an airplane or over janky international wifi.

64gb and above all day

Like I said, it's about giving the end user more options and the whole "so 2009!! LOLZ " is quite frankly, a very stupid claim.

Jesus guy... get over it lol. It was a joke... I can't believe you are actually tight about that ..

Whatever I'm over it. Love your SD card... No one is trying to take them away from you. Sorry that not much phones support that as an optional storage option anymore...

The fact that my comment was light hearted at that... My God.

Draper

I know I just placed my order for the 6P last week and subsequently won't be receiving it till mid to late November...

But I don't care how,

I want it now!!!!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Having an SD card isn't an option. It's a compromise in design. I always hear the word option being thrown around here. Options are not always without cost.

Ashes

Banned
The 32GB 3GB RAM A9 isn't coming out in the UK.

They want £430 for a 16GB phone when the 32GB Nexus 6P can be had for £450.

HTC can fuck off.

To be fair, Galaxy s6 price drop along with edge price drop means most phones on the market are overpriced in the UK. Except maybe the G4.

Hasney

To be fair, Galaxy s6 price drop along with edge price drop means most phones on the market are overpriced in the UK. Except maybe the G4.

But that particular 16GB phone with a budget processor and tiny battery is more expensive than all the other flagships barring Sony and hilariously, the M9.

dralla

Any reason to buy a phone now or am I better off waiting for Black Friday? Anyone remember which companies had BF deals last year?

zatara

finally got my nexus 5x and it breaks my heart how big this phone is for a 5.2 inch screen. anymore my biggest requirement is being able to touch my thumb to my middle finger when holding a phone as far as size goes and I can't do it with this. how could lg do this to me!!!

Jacir

Aren't sdxc cards fast enough? Hell the UHS II version cards are really fast for memory cards. How much of a difference do those cards have compared to internal storage speeds?

Bloodember

finally got my nexus 5x and it breaks my heart how big this phone is for a 5.2 inch screen. anymore my biggest requirement is being able to touch my thumb to my middle finger when holding a phone as far as size goes and I can't do it with this. how could lg do this to me!!!

You must have some pretty small hands. I have a Note 5 and I can do that with ease and it's bigger than the 5x.

zatara

You must have some pretty small hands. I have a Note 5 and I can do that with ease and it's bigger than the 5x.

yeah dude I'm only 5'7 so I got small hands. now do y get me wrong I can use a big phone I owned a nexus 6 for a period of time, I just prefer a phone that I can one hand no problem

Jesus guy... get over it lol. It was a joke... I can't believe you are actually tight about that ..

Whatever I'm over it. Love your SD card... No one is trying to take them away from you. Sorry that not much phones support that as an optional storage option anymore...

The fact that my comment was light hearted at that... My God.

I mean, the Moto X Pure just ADDED the SD card slot to their phones this year. Not to mention Marshmallow supports making the SD card slot the main internal storage now.

I think you were out of touch with nexus crowd dude. I remember going out to buy the galaxy nexus for the hardware & stock Android. The camera was poor though.

Yep, that 30 minute battery life was worth buying. Stupid Galaxy Nexus. Also stock ICS ended up being buggy and slow as shit, although that might have had something to do with the crummy TI OMAP SoC the GNex used also.

I have literally zero happy memories of my Gnex. Then I got my Note II and life was amazing afterwards and I forgot I ever cared about Nexus until just recently because the 6P looks dope as fuck, it's basically a flagship device and I suspect next year's N6 variant will be amazing with the SD820 and a camera that support OIS. I might actually have to weigh the decision between Note 6 and N6 (2016) carefully, the first I can say that about a Nexus in years.

Aren't sdxc cards fast enough? Hell the UHS II version cards are really fast for memory cards. How much of a difference do those cards have compared to internal storage speeds?

SD has terrible random read/write speeds which is what you need from an internal storage. There are extremely cheap laptops out there which use eMMC as their internal storage, basically an SD card with an internal reader, and the storage speed on those things is vastly inferior to laptops with have an SSD.

SDXC with UHS II have pretty good sequential read/write which makes them perfect for recording 4K video, although current phones are using bitrates which fit into UHS I (SDHC Class 10) anyways so it's a moot point unless you hack your phone's camera app to forcefully increase the recording bitrate. I think there are hacked versions of the Note 4 and 5 camera apps which let you crank up the bitrate and also remove the recording time limits, pretty sweet if you are rooted and really want to use your phone as a convenient pocket camcorder.

In general SD is amazing as a media storage expansion. No one wants to run apps off of SD and really you shouldn't try because it's slow as shit for apps and things get really flaky and buggy if you remove your SD and there are apps installed on it. SD is for media storage, it's huge and cheap and you can pull it out of your phone and stick it in your computer to transfer your videos because who the fuck wants to backup up to 128 GB of their SD's video and music into the fucking cloud and then download it to their computers.

EmiPrime

I can barely do that with the original Nexus 5, can't do it at all with a thin TPU case on!

CronoShot

Finally got my $250 LG G Flex 2 up and running after having to deal with AT&T support just to get the latest firmware update. Decided to go for that one when I saw the specs of the Nexus 5X and was pretty disappointed, although in hindsight I'm not sure saving $180 is worth dealing with the crappy carrier firmware update process (and potential lack of future support). I do have the glorious expandability of micro SD and 3 GB of RAM, and it's overall a very nice device; $250 for an early 2015 high end device feels like a steal and the curved screen is less of a dumb gimmick than I thought.

Wait, do you not get firmware updates because you're not running on AT&T, or is it just how it is when you buy the phone?

I'm on AT&T now and $250 for a G Flex 2 sounds pretty tempting if I can get it updated properly.

Jacir

SD has terrible random read/write speeds which is what you need from an internal storage. There are extremely cheap laptops out there which use eMMC as their internal storage, basically an SD card with an internal reader, and the storage speed on those things is vastly inferior to laptops with have an SSD.

SDXC with UHS II have pretty good sequential read/write which makes them perfect for recording 4K video, although current phones are using bitrates which fit into UHS I (SDHC Class 10) anyways so it's a moot point unless you hack your phone's camera app to forcefully increase the recording bitrate. I think there are hacked versions of the Note 4 and 5 camera apps which let you crank up the bitrate and also remove the recording time limits, pretty sweet if you are rooted and really want to use your phone as a convenient pocket camcorder.

In general SD is amazing as a media storage expansion. No one wants to run apps off of SD and really you shouldn't try because it's slow as shit for apps and things get really flaky and buggy if you remove your SD and there are apps installed on it. SD is for media storage, it's huge and cheap and you can pull it out of your phone and stick it in your computer to transfer your videos because who the fuck wants to backup up to 128 GB of their SD's video and music into the fucking cloud and then download it to their computers.

Interesting. I looked into the wiki and the current maximum eMMC is 128GB. Are there higher capacity ones coming? If not, any new developments for the standard or even a new backwards compatible standard being developed in the near future?

Wait, do you not get firmware updates because you're not running on AT&T, or is it just how it is when you buy the phone?

I'm on AT&T now and $250 for a G Flex 2 sounds pretty tempting if I can get it updated properly.
The only way to get software updates for the phone is to be on AT&T and even then it isn't properly pushed out so a lot of the time people have been having to contact AT&T support to push it to their phone.

mulac

Pre-order opened in Australia!!
Jumped in and got my 6P Graphite 64GB through :)

Now only to decide what to do with my existing LG G4 - sell or keep as "backup"...

Also got an old 16GB Nexus5 kicking around that I see going onto Ebay this week to help fund the 6P.

Very excited, says expect delivery on 6th - 10th November.

Woo!

Husker86

Pre-order opened in Australia!!
Jumped in and got my 6P Graphite 64GB through :)

Now only to decide what to do with my existing LG G4 - sell or keep as "backup"...

Also got an old 16GB Nexus5 kicking around that I see going onto Ebay this week to help fund the 6P.

Very excited, says expect delivery on 6th - 10th November.

Woo!

Preorder just opened there and delivery is less than a week after the one I preordered a month ago?

What you doin Google?!

Interesting. I looked into the wiki and the current maximum eMMC is 128GB. Are there higher capacity ones coming? If not, any new developments for the standard or even a new backwards compatible standard being developed in the near future?

The SDXC spec supports capacities up to 2 TB but it's up to the flash memory manufacturers to develop the actual flash chips which can have that much capacity.

Put a case on it. Yes, you'll be hiding the phone under it. Do you enjoy damaged phones after dropping them? No? Then put a case on it.

It will be easier to grip with a case on it and you'll soon learn the secret skill passed from one phablet user to the next of cradling the phone under your fingertips which allows you to pass your thumb over most of the screen's width.

Enjoy life with Note, it's the best kind of life.

Thanks! I've been getting better today holding the phone by the fingertips. Definitely planning on getting a case as well so that's no issue for me.

But the one thing that's worrying me now is the battery life. I don't think it's quite what it should be. I got the Verizon version and apparently it's got some battery life issues? At least according to a thread from reddit. From a full charge I'm down to 17% after about 16 hrs on battery and about 4 hours of active use. That's about as much battery performance as I was getting on my iPhone 5s, which is alarming considering it's a 2 year old phone with a much smaller battery.

This is my first Android phone, so I don't really know how all the optimization apps work. Apparently people are having spotty performance out of their batteries while others have phenomenal battery life? Has anyone heard of this?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
This is my first Android phone, so I don't really know how all the optimization apps work. Apparently people are having spotty performance out of their batteries while others have phenomenal battery life? Has anyone heard of this?
My battery performance has been amazing so far. I'm getting 6 1/2 hours of on screen time per charge. I've got a Tmobile unit so I'm glad the battery life doesn't suck since it's a smaller capacity than the Note 4. Someone on this thread posted that Samsung is going to push an update that makes battery life ever better!

As far as the 6P goes, only the 64 GB Aluminium and Graphite ones opened up in Australia and the 64 GB Graphite sold out. 64 GB ones are $999 which I won't go for. The "Buy from $899" button is misleading at the moment since they haven't made any available at that price yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom