• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saiyan-Rox

Is it not shipping by Parcelforce Express 24?

I actually have no idea :O if it is then even bigger woo!! EDIT: Oh it is! :D

But saying that even if it is 24 there could be a chance I still won't get it until Thursday. Some companies like DPD are real assholes when it comes to shipping things here. No matter if the sender paid for next day they automatically downgrade parcels to a 2 day service here which is just plainly bullshit and angers me to no end.

Talon

CSVovNnUAAI6vnw.jpg

look and despair
They did it. They really did it. Those monsters.

Reckoner

I'm one of the few who kinda liked last year's Droid Turbo design. The materials they used actually sounded great grip-wise and also looked different from everything else on the market. And I like variety. This one is just generic Moto design, which is not good looking at all these days.

2015 overall Moto design is trash and I see no signs of it getting better.

Groof

Uhh.. what kind of phone are you using? I have used Play Music on more devices than I can count and it has always worked flawlessly.

nexus 5.

top issues:
app is slow to open/load
can't queue songs without network connection
things just stop loading if you have a wobbly connection, even things you've downloaded for offline playback

it's a shit app, and i say this as a paying customer.

nexus 5.

top issues:
app is slow to open/load
can't queue songs without network connection
things just stop loading if you have a wobbly connection, even things you've downloaded for offline playback

it's a shit app, and i say this as a paying customer.
Whaaaat none of that is true for many many versions ago for some of that

As of today Samsung has announced that 14 new banks have joined Samsung Pay. You can now use the service with Chase, PNC Bank, TD Bank, SunTrust, Fifth Third Bank, First Hawaiian, Key Bank, Silicon Valley Bank, Security Service Federal Credit Union, Navy Federal Credit Union, Virginia Credit Union, Associated Bank, Randolph Brooks Federal Credit Union, and in the case of the People’s United Bank, support should arrive in the next few months.

Chase doesn't like Android Pay lol

Pyrokai

Anyone ordered the nexus 6p from Huaweis website? Thinking about ordering the phone from there.

I ordered from their site. It said that the shipping begins in late November but they've already charged my card. I don't have an email saying they shipped it yet though, which they said they will send when it does ship. I guess charging right away is the key difference between Google and Huawei's sites.

Verizon Note 4's are still on 5.0.1 because you know Verizon. AT&T Note 4's got their 5.1.1 update earlier this month so I'm hoping the Verizon ones will get it soon.

Without seeing your phone it's hard to say what might be causing a battery drain on yours though. It depends on what you were doing too, if you had 4 hours of screen on playing a game or something you're going to kill your battery pretty hard. If you're seeing battery drain while using Chrome, try the Samsung stock browser instead. On Android, battery life will vary wildly from one device to another and it will depend on what you have installed, what's running, what you're doing, etc. It's not like on iOS where apps are heavily restricted on what they can do so sometimes if you get a battery drain you need to hunt down the offending app and terminate it with extreme prejudice.

Yeah I know it's pretty hard to get a general picture of what the phone is doing without a pretty thorough report of what apps I'm using. I'm using GSam battery monitor and I'm going to post the results in here after a full day's cycle (meaning tomorrow since I downloaded it in the middle of a charge cycle today). I know it's a lot more a complicated matter on Android given things can run in the background continuously so it's not nearly as straightforward to figure out battery usage on it than on iOS.

All I really am doing on the phone is the occasional email check and mostly browsing GAF. No game playing or using apps other than the occasional GroupMe, Slack, or Google Hangouts text. Really nothing heavy. And other than the previously mentioned apps I haven't installed much. I did try to disable most of the bloat that came with Verizon's shit, and gladly none of it appears to affect battery in any of the usage reports I'm seeing, so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

There seems to be something that drains the battery on its own. Regardless of which browser I'm using (either Chrome or Samsung's own generic internet browser), and regardless of whether or not I have Battery Saver turned on, I average around 5 minutes of active use (web browsing mostly) per 1% of battery (I also get that amount of battery use when on the Settings menu, meaning not using any apps). Sometimes a lot less, if I'm on a website like Android Central that spams intrusive ads and leaves me literally at about 1% per 2 minutes or less. There's also drain while on standby. Today I had a class in a building where apparently there's low signal, because I easily lost 10%+ while I wasn't doing anything to the phone, it even was running hot when I took it out of my pocket after class. Yes, I was on Wi Fi, but apparently that doesn't turn off mobile data?

I can't seem to find the Wi-Fi Calling/VoLTE settings (I want to turn that off to see if helps any), where can I find those settings?

My battery performance has been amazing so far. I'm getting 6 1/2 hours of on screen time per charge. I've got a Tmobile unit so I'm glad the battery life doesn't suck since it's a smaller capacity than the Note 4. Someone on this thread posted that Samsung is going to push an update that makes battery life ever better!

That's good! Didn't know VZW Note 5s are a version behind, which kinda sucks. Not used to seeing updates being brickwalled under two layers (Samsung and VZW), which definitely does suck :(

So starting today I'm going to use the GSam app to monitor my battery, but based on my guesstimations on phone usage patterns vs. battery performance on my old phone (iPhone 5S), I seem to get about a 1/3rd better battery life? Last night I was at around 30% whereas I would've probably had a drained battery on my iPhone 5S, and my usage pattern was about the same...but again it's all subjective on my end so I guess I shouldn't still harp on about performance before I can see the GSam reports.

Where can I find the sync settings for how often my email and stuff gets synced? I keep feeling like I'm missing one or two settings somewhere that could save a lot of battery. I already caught a couple of settings that look like they're overusing the battery (Continuously Scanning for WiFi and "Accurate" Location detection instead of "Power Saving" location detection).

No Love

Banned
So what's the best browser today in terms of battery efficiency and usability?

Firefox with uBlock Origin and Ghostery is a security tank. Opera is a lot faster to load pages though.

Opera Mini should be a lot more battery friendly but also has its own downsides (pointless to use at home due to WiFi, rare rendering issues, etc.)

Those are the three I find myself using. I uninstalled Chrome lol.

“During Apple’s quarterly conference call on Tuesday, CEO Tim Cook said 30 percent of iPhone buyers switched from Android during the fourth quarter, the highest ratio of ‘switchers’ Apple has recorded in a single three-month period"

“Cook specified that the 30 percent statistic applies to customers who upgraded from an Android device, not first-time buyers,” Campbell reports. “He went on to say the switch rate was the largest recorded since Apple began tracking such statistics around three years ago.”

“During Apple’s quarterly conference call on Tuesday, CEO Tim Cook said 30 percent of iPhone buyers switched from Android during the fourth quarter, the highest ratio of ‘switchers’ Apple has recorded in a single three-month period"

“Cook specified that the 30 percent statistic applies to customers who upgraded from an Android device, not first-time buyers,” Campbell reports. “He went on to say the switch rate was the largest recorded since Apple began tracking such statistics around three years ago.”

hopefully they got the ones with money and not the poor people that don't buy apps.

z3phon

I ordered from their site. It said that the shipping begins in late November but they've already charged my card. I don't have an email saying they shipped it yet though, which they said they will send when it does ship. I guess charging right away is the key difference between Google and Huawei's sites.
Cool thanks. I think I'll go ahead and order it from their site.
As an IPhone user what's a alternative for iTunes music. Where do you guys purchase music from?

EmiPrime

Cool thanks. I think I'll go ahead and order it from their site.
As an IPhone user what's a alternative for iTunes music. Where do you guys purchase music from?

I stream everything using my Google Play Music subscription. I uploaded my entire iTunes library to the service so I can stream that too. You can buy music also through Google if that's more your thing.

what a fucking shocker lmao

What's more the lackluster battery life puts the A9 at the bottom of the pile in terms of longevity for a modern Android phone — a disappointing miss for this product.

Seems like if you don't use your phone much/moderately it should last you through the day. Much confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom