• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

tales of 3rd world nexus land part 794.3:

huawei confirms an 18th november release for the 6p and no frost in sweden.

the despair is real.

NotBacon

So many new phones to choose from. Halp!

I'm using an LG G3 (since launch) on Lollipop. Its slowed a bit. There's lag when opening apps now. Its starting to show its age, which is crazy as its only a little over a year old. I really love the 6P and what it offers, but its a fucking monstrosity size-wise. Its similar in size to the 6Plus which I use at work and I hate how big that is.

Is it worth updating to something new right now? 5X? The small batteried A9? Something else? Or just wait it out a while? Size-wise, G3 is pushing what I'm comfortable with, so keep that in mind.

Any suggestions would be great. I've done so much reading and research, but it'd be nice to hear from people and what they think and have. Thanks!!

Aside from not being as premium as the 6P, I'm still seeing/hearing great things about the 5X.

Aside from not being as premium as the 6P, I'm still seeing/hearing great things about the 5X.

Yeah, me too. I dig the smaller size a lot. I dunno how I feel about the plastic build, but the G3's build doesn't feel cheap to me, so if its similar to that, I'd be inclined. I'm just being indecisive, I guess. Damn Google and making the 6P so huge :/

I just want something new, but don't know what.

Bloodember

Has anyone used any of the full coverage tempered glass screen protectors for the galaxy note 5? I have a skinomi and it doesnt even cover the whole screen. Looking tobget a diffrent one. Most of the glass protectors actually dont cover the full face just the flat surface.

I don't know if you view them on top of one another the 6P doesn't really look that much bigger than the 5X. I mean yeah it's noticeable but not by much. The only reason I'd have originally considered the 5X would have been a smaller size footprint but the bezels really work against it and over sized for what it should be.
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Google-Nexus-5X,Google-Nexus-6P/phones/9593,9587

I've used that site to compare the 6P and the 5X to my G3 and the 5X is just a smidge taller than the 3G. A smidge. I can live with that as it is a smidge less on the wide side as well. But having compared my 3G to the 6 Plus at work and just holding it in my hand, I can't hang with that size.

But like you said, the bezels work against it. Yet, that A9 with the mid range specs is enticing, if nothing more than for its size. But if I'm thinking of that, I just may as well go with 5X, no? So conflicted :/

Fou-Lu

I am really tempted to get a 6P as my next phone, it seems be a really nice balance of features. Any glaring flaws I should know about? I was considering the V10, but it hasn't even been announced for Canada yet. I would definitely miss how damn slick the Xperia Z series looks though, but the Z5 is only coming to Bell in Canada.

I thought speed of at least 70 MB/s write is needed for smooth 4K video?

MegaBYTES/s and MegaBITS/s are different things.

It's common to see Mb/s used when describing video bitrates, that's megabits/s. For example the standard Blu-ray maximum bitrate is 40 Mb/s, which is roughly 5 MB/s. To arrive at megabytes/s, simply divide megabits/s by 8.

So you're thinking of 70 Mb/s, which is roughly 8.75 MB/s. Which is fulfilled by UHS I/Class 10, which specifies a minimum sequential write speed of 10 MB/s or 80 Mb/s. Most UHS I microsD cards that I've run across have some leeway as well to make room for overhead, achieving around 15 MB/s of sequential write speed.

No Love

Banned
MegaBYTES/s and MegaBITS/s are different things.

It's common to see Mb/s used when describing video bitrates, that's megabits/s. For example the standard Blu-ray maximum bitrate is 40 Mb/s, which is roughly 5 MB/s. To arrive at megabytes/s, simply divide megabits/s by 8.

So you're thinking of 70 Mb/s, which is roughly 8.75 MB/s. Which is fulfilled by UHS I/Class 10, which specifies a minimum sequential write speed of 10 MB/s or 80 Mb/s. Most UHS I microsD cards that I've run across have some leeway as well to make room for overhead, achieving around 15 MB/s of sequential write speed.

Bring on SSD speed microSD.

rc213

So customer support says my order is shipping out before/on Oct 30th, Been on pending for over a week. Not bloody likely!

Should've gone Graphite instead of Frost...

tales of 3rd world nexus land part 794.3:

huawei confirms an 18th november release for the 6p and no frost in sweden.

the despair is real.
18th november? Guess it will be that date for the rest of Europe, too. Well ... maybe except Italy, because Google already said "f*ck you in particular" with the price there.

As of now, i think it would be best just to forget about the Nexus devices everywhere else, and not releasing them at all.

So, I don't know if this is the thread to ask, but... I tried to take a picture of the projector screen at college last night but the camera on my G3 wouldn't adjust the exposure... all I got was a bright screen. I simply wasn't able to control it, looked for settings but found nothing. Any ideas?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So customer support says my order is shipping out before/on Oct 30th, Been on pending for over a week. Not bloody likely!

Should've gone Graphite instead of Frost...
You can still go for Graphite! In fact, I recommend every Frost order should be changed to another color. Frost isn't for everyone.

Saiyan-Rox

Mine was just delivered.

Ooooh nice!

meanwhile

ekJ48.gif

Hopefully my case and screen protectors arrive today too

kagete

I woke up and saw the 6p shipping confirmation email on my phone and I was extremely happy... until I saw it's shipping via GROUND to Georgia, from CALIFORNIA!

ETA is Monday next week.
tears.gif

Pyrokai

You guys and your silly updates. Try being BLIND to your phone's status! In in the dark until they ship it. Thus is the story of using Huawei's store.

Called my local carrier.. They still have no idea when they're going to receive the Nexus 6P. Their website say's "Coming Soon" but their reps are clueless, jesus christ this is so frustrating.

Got 5X here in India.

Phone feels nice. Doze is awesome. I only lost 3% battery overnight.

Camera is good, the glass also feels great. It is much smoother on touch than my N6.

Got it in Ice Blue.

Now to await my 6p which is expected 2nd week of November.

this_guy

Yeah, me too. I dig the smaller size a lot. I dunno how I feel about the plastic build, but the G3's build doesn't feel cheap to me, so if its similar to that, I'd be inclined. I'm just being indecisive, I guess. Damn Google and making the 6P so huge :/

I just want something new, but don't know what.

I had the LG G3 and now the 5x (also a 2014 Moto X inbetween). The 5x does not feel premium but doesn't feel cheap either - it feels very solid. I prefer the feel over the LG G3. Size wize it's about as tall as the G3 (G3 was the best at having no bezels) but it feels better in the hand because it's not as wide.

But like you said, the bezels work against it. Yet, that A9 with the mid range specs is enticing, if nothing more than for its size. But if I'm thinking of that, I just may as well go with 5X, no? So conflicted :/

I wanted to like it the A9 too. Reviews say the camera is good but not great, should be on the same level as the LG G3 (it actually has a newer and better sensor then the G3). Reviews on battery life is all over the place but at best it'll probably be on the same level as the Nexus 5x. Things I do like about it include the size, build quality, sound quality from the headphones, free Uh-oh protection, and I wouldn't have to pay taxes on it so it's about $50 cheaper than the 5x 32gb.

The OnePlus X/Mini sure looks like a nice phone. Basically a new early 2014 flagship for under $300. I still can't get over the company and their shitty invitation system. Maybe once their grow up and officially sell the phones through retailers and work on their awful CS.

I had the LG G3 and now the 5x (also a 2014 Moto X inbetween). The 5x does not feel premium but doesn't feel cheap either - it feels very solid. I prefer the feel over the LG G3. Size wize it's about as tall as the G3 (G3 was the best at having no bezels) but it feels better in the hand because it's not as wide.

I wanted to like it the A9 too. Reviews say the camera is good but not great, should be on the same level as the LG G3 (it actually has a newer and better sensor then the G3). Reviews on battery life is all over the place but at best it'll probably be on the same level as the Nexus 5x. Things I do like about it include the size, build quality, sound quality from the headphones, free Uh-oh protection, and I wouldn't have to pay taxes on it so it's about $50 cheaper than the 5x 32gb.

I think the built in DAC isn't being touted enough. Boomsound is great and all, but if comes down to better external speakers vs better internal, I'll take the internal almost all the time.

this_guy

I think the built in DAC isn't being touted enough. Boomsound is great and all, but if comes down to better external speakers vs better internal, I'll take the internal almost all the time.

Agreed. I don't care about Boomsound or external speakers because I rarely use them. I do have a nice set of headphones and want to take advantage of them.

ukas

I am really tempted to get a 6P as my next phone, it seems be a really nice balance of features. Any glaring flaws I should know about? I was considering the V10, but it hasn't even been announced for Canada yet. I would definitely miss how damn slick the Xperia Z series looks though, but the Z5 is only coming to Bell in Canada.

I have a Z5 as well as a 6P. If the size doesn't bother you at all the 6P is definitely the better phone.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So many new phones to choose from. Halp!

I'm using an LG G3 (since launch) on Lollipop. Its slowed a bit. There's lag when opening apps now. Its starting to show its age, which is crazy as its only a little over a year old. I really love the 6P and what it offers, but its a fucking monstrosity size-wise. Its similar in size to the 6Plus which I use at work and I hate how big that is.

Is it worth updating to something new right now? 5X? The small batteried A9? Something else? Or just wait it out a while? Size-wise, G3 is pushing what I'm comfortable with, so keep that in mind.

Any suggestions would be great. I've done so much reading and research, but it'd be nice to hear from people and what they think and have. Thanks!!

An 801 chipset phone shouldn't feel slow. I'd format, and then wait for the M update vs blowing cash on a new phone right now. Just my opinion.

kami_sama

I'm a little jelly of you guys. But if the OPT is a little too big for me, I don't think I would have liked the 6P. Also, the battery is, at least in reviews, better on the 2.

Kevyt

You guys and your silly updates. Try being BLIND to your phone's status! In in the dark until they ship it. Thus is the story of using Huawei's store.

Yup!

I have no idea what the status of my order is other than "processing"

I'm also bummed we don't get $50 Google play store credit. 😢😭

kinggroin

Banned
You can still go for Graphite! In fact, I recommend every Frost order should be changed to another color. Frost isn't for everyone.

Are you man enough to has?

Sad that Google fucked up this Nexus launch so badly. I had no problems getting my Nexus 5 when it came out but looks like I did indeed save myself a lot of trouble by avoiding these.

Yep. Now you won't be bothered with owning the best android phone real soon.

zatara

Going to have to get a case for my 5X. The back isn't grippy enough and I can see it slipping easily.

I got one too for that reason, plus it doesn't help that the back is flat. I miss phones that have that pillow like roundess on the back it makes for a more comfortable phone.

Pyrokai

Yup!

I have no idea what the status of my order is other than "processing"

I'm also bummed we don't get $50 Google play store credit. 😢😭

But no tax!!!! Wooooo!! I'm okay without the credit. I've never bought an app or movie or anything and I'd struggle to figure out what to spend it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom