• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Angina's tough!!" Rock Band 2 Track And Spec Info (& Dreams) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Struct09

Belgand said:
Also, no love for the bass? Dammit... I mean, I guess I'm used to be singled out and ignored in the real world, but for Harmonix to keep doing it in the games, well, bassists don't need any more feelings of inferiority and persecution.

I'm pretty sure they've said you'll be able to do a bass solo career.

Onemic

Belgand said:
"One of our new ways of experiencing your music library has something targeted explicitly towards players that want to sing and play guitar."

This was on IGN a few weeks ago, but I haven't heard anything about it since then. I mean, I guess it isn't a major feature or anything, but what's going on? Scrapped feature that someone mentioned because they didn't know any better? Band Challenge? Something that just hasn't been announced yet?

Can't say I'm super-psyched about it (despite my love for these games I don't like to sing and I loathe not only Karaoke, but also the karaoke games... who knew my loser friend's obsession would come back to haunt me via Rock Band?!?), but it does sound like an interesting feature and the ability to get some of my friends to double-up (including the one who both plays guitar and sings and knows what the hell she's doing) or even to just screw around with it would be nice.

More importantly, if this is going to be offered, why no mic stand? I mean, maybe not in the box, but I think they're definitely missing out by not trying to offer a branded one. Maybe as part of some sort of "frontman" mic/stand combo pack for standalone sales.

..... ION mic stand has been selling for months now

And there's a bass tour challenge and world tour too you know.

Struct09 said:
I'm pretty sure they've said you'll be able to do a bass solo career.
But remember 'solo career' doesn't really exist as it does, it's all Band Tour... and there was something about making it if you're playing bass only, it'll focus on good bass songs, but the others will all be there if you want it

BigBlackGamer said:
Well Micrsoft forced "standardization" has actually done some good.

All RB2 instruments WILL work with GH:WT.

http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/889/889408p2.html

Posted in the GH thread but good news for potential RB2 owners as well.
saw this on Score Hero. do they mention anything about PS3? (maybe I should keep reading the thread first?)
robochimp said:
The PS3 had better get some compatibility patches coming from both sides this fall. Otherwise I will not be buying Guitar Hero 4.
Amen.

God-dammit. I want standardization, Sony/HMX/Activision! I've been thinking of getting a 360 these past two days what with the whole "install the game to the hard drive" and now this. I just don't want to re-purchase all that DLC. someone start a petition! :lol

BigDug13 said:
So when Rock Band charts a "Tom" drum sound and you hit the crash cymbal, you won't have a problem with that?

Honestly, as cool as the GH:WT drums look, they have limitations. The decision to make everything mapped to an actual pad means a tom or cymbal sound can be charted there and it won't be weird. But using the GH:WT drums on Rock Band, sometimes you will end up playing "tom" sounds on a cymbal.

It'll be interesting to see how it will work out anyway.

I don't really care much. I really just would rather have one drumset in my room. I'm still going to have my Rock Band drum set in my closet if I ever need to get serious, but for casual pick up and play games it would be more convenient to have one set up there. I don't mind if I have to hit cymbal despite that not being used in the song at the time.

Struct09

JonathanEx said:
But remember 'solo career' doesn't really exist as it does, it's all Band Tour... and there was something about making it if you're playing bass only, it'll focus on good bass songs, but the others will all be there if you want it

Right, which is awesome :)

Bojangles

That GH:WT song editor seems pretty wild - (5-track recorder/mixer + charting + online sharing).. I wonder what RB2 is going to offer...

Onemic

Bojangles said:
That GH:WT song editor seems pretty wild - (5-track recorder/mixer + charting + online sharing).. I wonder what RB2 is going to offer...

Jukebox mode

They said they won't be releasing a song editor for RB2, but they're indeed working on it.

Honestly though the song editor will only be used by the most hardcore GHWT fans, from the looks of that trailer.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I know this picture has been posted before, but look at the songs on the screen in the background.

100_2637.jpg

Glad to see 29 fingers made the cut :lol

sneaky77

scola said:
does it actually speed up the song or just space out notes further and throw them at you faster?

it makes the scroll speed faster but does not make the song sound different, there is a little more spacing

AMUSIX

So, now that there are 7 difficulty tiers instead of 9, can we see the new leels for the old songs? Be interesting to see what will get shuffled where...personally I think the Bang Camaro tracks could be dropped a level or two.

Ridley327

Like I said, the reason why they only have seven tiers in the 25 song demo is because they don't have songs that go in the other ones. The IGN video with Ace of Spades makes it pretty obvious that there is still at least nine tiers, with a strong hint at an additional tier.

AMUSIX

Ridley327 said:
Like I said, the reason why they only have seven tiers in the 25 song demo is because they don't have songs that go in the other ones. The IGN video with Ace of Spades makes it pretty obvious that there is still at least nine tiers, with a strong hint at an additional tier.
Actually, I am going off the Ace of Spades video, which makes it pretty obvious that there are no longer nine tiers. There are only 7 ratings shown (no dots, 1-5 black dots, 5 red dots). The difficulty rating assigned to the existing tracks seem to be arbitrary at times, so I think it's an indication that they'll get reassigned rankings.

Saerk

Sp3eD said:
I know this picture has been posted before, but look at the songs on the screen in the background.

Glad to see 29 fingers made the cut :lol

I thought you were pointing out the 311 DLC song All Mixed Up

Saerk

sublime085 said:
That's an already released Cars song actually.

311 would be nice though.

Damn, that blows. You can probably guess I didn't dl much from that album (1 song, you know which one)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Holy crap the Rock Band 2 party tonight rocked. The Who played nearly 2 hours...

And we played a little RB2... looks great, interface has gotten another coat of polish.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
darkressurection said:
I think that they are just pointing out that it won't make vocals go twice as fast, just instruments.:D

It should be multiple speed settings and separate settings per instrument, but I'll take what I can get.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
TheGreatDave said:
There's no need to even reference Neversoft when we're talking about Harmonix's own changes from 2005 to now.
Please just quote my custom title and use a :lol emoticon. I wasn't being serious. :p

Archie said:
Please just quote my custom title and use a :lol emoticon. I wasn't being serious. :p

:lol

Neversoft don't even use three note chords much any more :(

BUT ENOUGH COS I DON'T WANNA GET HATED ON.

Oh, and cos I've been gone: Holy SHIT at Teen Age Riot. Harmonix seem to have picked the songs I want from bands this time around (Testify, Come Out And Play), rather than the ones everybody knows. With good exceptions (Living on a Prayer, CARRY ON WAYWARD SON!)

It's a good job E3 was fucking awful, so being away didn't matter too much.

I do like how GH:WT and Rock Band 2 were both formally announced as soon as I was banned though. Like it was fucking planned.

I didn't get to tell you how fucking awful Chop Suey is, and how it's one of the worst System of a Down songs in history, and shouldn't be in the game over their quality shit like Peephole. Seeing people freak out over that was hard to watch.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
TheGreatDave said:
I didn't get to tell you how fucking awful Chop Suey is, and how it's one of the worst System of a Down songs in history, and shouldn't be in the game over their quality shit like Peephole. Seeing people freak out over that was hard to watch.

It will be hilarious to watch people fail at singing though.

AstroLad said:
It will be hilarious to watch people fail at singing though.

Maybe. I've just grown to hate that song so much I'll probably never play it more than once anyway. Although it will be pretty epic on drums.

Johnkers

Im looking forward to the amazing vocal covers of that actually. Same with the Linkin Park song. Two bands/songs I don't really care for in real life, but in a game like Rock Band it's fair game! As long as those songs are balanced out by the real good stuff though :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
One of the things I'm really looking forward to is the auto-calibration. Even though my guitar feels perfect, my drums always felt a little off timing-wise (part of the reason I don't play much drums), and doing the calibration routine always just completely screwed things up so I had to calibrate manually. I hope it's very precise and accurate.

Johnkers said:
Im looking forward to the amazing vocal covers of that actually. Same with the Linkin Park song. Two bands/songs I don't really care for in real life, but in a game like Rock Band it's fair game! As long as those songs are balanced out by the real good stuff though :D

The tracklist more than makes up for one or two complaints I have with it. Chop Suey are Bad Reputation are the only songs that stand out and say "What were you THINKING?!" to me. Although there's a reassuringly high amount of stuff I haven't heard before, I'm working my way through listening to it.

Lush, for example. Never heard of them before, now listened to their greatest hits a bunch of times.

Johnkers

Yeah, I have to admit GH/RB have introduced me to a lot of music, both bands that I was sort of familiar with but never really loved (Weezer for instance), and even some new ones.

Haven't gone through RB2/GH:WT yet though. I might not want to hype myself up too early while waiting for a PAL date after the last bullshit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom