• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Angina's tough!!" Rock Band 2 Track And Spec Info (& Dreams) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

weehomer

TheGreatDave said:
I do like how GH:WT and Rock Band 2 were both formally announced as soon as I was banned though. Like it was fucking planned.

I can only hope. It was kind of refreshing not having to wade through 20 fucking posts on every page from you in every Rock Band/Guitar Hero thread for a while.

If only Rock Band was still a platform, and I didn't have to buy a brand new disc to play new songs. Then I could just download the new songs on the same day Americans get to play it, instead of being fucked around AGAIN.

weehomer said:
I can only hope. It was kind of refreshing not having to wade through 20 fucking posts on every page from you in every Rock Band/Guitar Hero thread for a while.

Yeah, there is that. I think the only person who could be upset was me, myself and I.

Johnkers

TheGreatDave said:
If only Rock Band was still a platform, and I didn't have to buy a brand new disc to play new songs. Then I could just download the new songs on the same day Americans get to play it, instead of being fucked around AGAIN

The 20 free DLC songs should help tide me over. (that's real right?)

Onemic

TheGreatDave said:
The tracklist more than makes up for one or two complaints I have with it. Chop Suey are Bad Reputation are the only songs that stand out and say "What were you THINKING?!" to me. Although there's a reassuringly high amount of stuff I haven't heard before, I'm working my way through listening to it.

Lush, for example. Never heard of them before, now listened to their greatest hits a bunch of times.

DAVE IS BACK!

Johnkers said:
The 20 free DLC songs should help tide me over. (that's real right?)

It's real. I have a horrible feeling it may be only for Rock Band 2 owners though, based on the way it was phrased, and as such I'll be playing them in May 2009.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
TheGreatDave said:
It's real. I have a horrible feeling it may be only for Rock Band 2 owners though, based on the way it was phrased, and as such I'll be playing them in May 2009.
I kind of doubt it, going by Harmonix's vision of the Rock Band platform

dave is ok said:
I kind of doubt it, going by Harmonix's vision of the Rock Band platform

Their vision of a "platform" was compromised the second they said the only way to play 85 of their songs is to buy a disc. Not that I mind, seeing as I love discs, but Rock Band really isn't a platform. It's more a backwards compatible game franchise.

TheGreatDave said:
Ta, but it doesn't help at work. :(

And yeah, I think those 20 songs will work on 1. It would be incredibly mean if they didn't, which doesn't seem in keeping with the other stuff they've done. The fact that I'll be able to keep getting all the DLC is the thing that will assuage my annoyance when a European release date is announced.

joaomgcd

TheGreatDave said:
Maybe. I've just grown to hate that song so much I'll probably never play it more than once anyway. Although it will be pretty epic on drums.

And what about "Toxicity" from the same album? That would be awesome on everything.

TheGreatDave said:
Their vision of a "platform" was compromised the second they said the only way to play 85 of their songs is to buy a disc. Not that I mind, seeing as I love discs, but Rock Band really isn't a platform. It's more a backwards compatible game franchise.
It's more than backwards compatible because new DLC will work with the previous version.

I don't understand your first point. Why does needing to buy a disk for 85 songs stop it being a platform in a way that needing to buy the first disk or certain bits of DLC to play certain other songs didn't?

MalevolentPanda said:
It's more than backwards compatible because new DLC will work with the previous version.

I don't understand your first point. Why does needing to buy a disk for 85 songs stop it being a platform in a way that needing to buy the first disk or certain bits of DLC to play certain other songs didn't?

I'm not coming in to this angry at Harmonix, so don't think this is an attack
I've learned I need to say this at all times
, but forcing people to buy Rock Band 2 to play Chop Suey, even if a person hates every other song on the tracklist, is the definition of "not a platform". It's the same thing people hated about GH:Aerosmith. The fact future DLC will still work on RB1 without you having to buy a new game is fantastic and should be praised, but the disc exclusives stops it being a "platform".

But it's completely understandable why this is the case, cos it would undermine their new game to have all it's songs available for Rock Band 1. Besides, as somebody who values new features I think it's a worthy compromise It's more important to me that Harmonix keep improving their software and getting it where it needs to be than Rock Band even be a platform.

M3wThr33

Banned
Going through the songlist last night I tagged enough songs I'd buy at $2 to make the price worth it. So really the gui upgrade is a bonus alongside a lot of song.

TheGreatDave said:
I'm not coming in to this angry at Harmonix, so don't think this is an attack
I've learned I need to say this at all times
, but forcing people to buy Rock Band 2 to play Chop Suey, even if a person hates every other song on the tracklist, is the definition of "not a platform". It's the same thing people hated about GH:Aerosmith. The fact future DLC will still work on RB1 without you having to buy a new game is fantastic and should be praised, but the disc exclusives stops it being a "platform".
Your argument here is circular. I think you're using the wrong definition of platform and I don't understand why this disk (with exclusive tracks) disqualifies RB from being a platform in a way that a previous disk (with exclusive tracks) didn't. But this is probably academic. I agree with you that this is the right thing to do because it means we get we get new features and things fixed.

A platform is something like the PS3. You buy a PS3, you can play any PS3 game. Along with PS2 or PS1 games
Well, you could until recently, LOLZ
You download iTunes, you can buy any song ever put on the service. You buy Rock Band 1, you can't buy 85 songs. That's the difference. When Rock Band 1 was the only product, it was a platform by default. Now it's like a PS4 game to PS3 owners.

Again; totally fine with this personally. My only issue is I may have to wait months to play these new songs.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
TheGreatDave said:
A platform is something like the PS3. You buy a PS3, you can play any PS3 game. Along with PS2 or PS1 games
Well, you could until recently, LOLZ
You download iTunes, you can buy any song ever put on the service. You buy Rock Band 1, you can't buy 85 songs. That's the difference. When Rock Band 1 was the only product, it was a platform by default. Now it's like a PS4 game to PS3 owners.
your definition of platform is heavily damaged. So if I go and buy a PS2Slim, can I play FFXI on it? Because it is a game for the PS2 platform. If I have itunes 5.0, can I watch videos on it? Platforms change both in function and their requirements without actually becoming new platforms (like PS3 to PS4). It happens all the time in the technology field. Windows is a platform and has always been the same platform since 3.1, but you need Vista to play Age of Conan, etc. A permutation of the platform doesn't succeed the platform. The fact of the matter is that RB2 is more or less a disc-only track pack with some extra enhancements, not much different really than SingStar Vol. 2 aside frmo Harmonix won't be releasing the minor enhancements for free as a download. The fact that you won't be able to buy it until 2010 doesn't change this. That is a distribution problem (MTV/EA), not a programming/platform problem (Harmonix).

Belgand

Struct09 said:
I'm pretty sure they've said you'll be able to do a bass solo career.

Sorry, I obviously wasn't clear enough and certainly didn't want to come off as whiny. I meant a bass/vocals combo. Although based on the graphic it definitely looks like they're going for more of a singer/songwriter vibe so the exclusion is understandable. Besides, I'm pretty sure a lot more people are interested in guitar/vocals.

I am definitely glad that with the new challenges we'll get a bass challenge. I mean, I understand the reasons why they left a bass solo career out of RB, but it still stings a little. "Your instrument is too boring to have it's own career" sort of a thing. And it's not always terribly exciting and with the way most rock music is structured and the nature of the simulation taking away a lot of the more challenging aspects of bass playing I can understand why it often can be pretty damn boring to play bass.

Bass was too boring to do single player for in Rock Band 1. Now, if they have it set up like Band World Tour, they can at least only let you play songs that are more than just 4 notes over and over.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Being that it is clearly in the demo at E3 why the F**K do I not have the expert guitar chart video for Panic Attack?

Seriously, times like this I wish I was allowed to go crazy with a camera to go into all the little details on beta builds.

DuckRacer

Sp3eD said:
Being that it is clearly in the demo at E3 why the F**K do I not have the expert guitar chart video for Panic Attack?

Seriously, times like this I wish I was allowed to go crazy with a camera to go into all the little details on beta builds.
Some Harmonix employee on SA said that you need special licensing with certain songs if you want to demonstrate them at E3. That's why we haven't seen anything.

I'm betting on it just being Train Kept a Rollin' that's a problem, or maybe Enter Sandman if Battery was licensed before Activision did a deal with Metallica. I'd be surprised at any others.

bune duggy said:
delaying autoplay 24:51? wtf is that? I have to wiat a half a freakin' hour to watch a video? someone youtube that, please.

I'll upload it to YouTube, but it may take me a bit longer than 25 minutes.

Argyle

Just got back from E3. Rock Band 2 was awesome - spent about an hour today playing around with the new instruments and the new songs.

The new drums are nice and I noticed another mini-jack connector in the back (for the cymbals or a second pedal?) The pads are noticeably improved as well.

The new guitar is nice, I noticed the light sensor, but couldn't find the microphone. The strumbar is IMHO halfway between a GH guitar and a Rock Band guitar - no clicking, but not nearly as mushy as the RB1 guitars - it felt more substantial than the old guitars.

I ended up singing (poorly) for most of my playtime since no one else wanted to sing. :) I might have ended up on someone's video, who knows.

Other than that, I dunno what else to say, it's Rock Band, it kicks ass, and the new songs are fun :)

Vicious

Holy shit, hyperspeed is back? PRAISE JEBUS

That makes me 50 times more excited for the game now. I can't wait to play all the new songs plus all my current songs with hyperspeed.

lorddct

Has anyone get there hands on the new accessories that are coming with the new Special Edition?

Is it the same set of drums and guitar?

Or is there really big improvement in the accessories?

The only real concrete detail I've read is that the drums are wireless.

Joates

Banned
lorddct said:
Has anyone get there hands on the new accessories that are coming with the new Special Edition?

Is it the same set of drums and guitar?

Or is there really big improvement in the accessories?

The only real concrete detail I've read is that the drums are wireless.

You know, this thread probably has already covered a lot of the stuff youre asking about.

TheGreatDave said:
For inquisitive minds: Rock Revolution with video

Honestly, I don't know what to think. I'm buying it for sure, but that drum kit...I'm confused. Kinda lame Konami don't even have their own guitar though.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UIL_hq5nrB4

How does this make you feel? Any more positive?

I actually think the Drums for that are a bit cool. I mean, they certainly aren't the most realistic or anything, but for space reasons they would be good.

Linkzg said:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UIL_hq5nrB4

How does this make you feel? Any more positive?

I actually think the Drums for that are a bit cool. I mean, they certainly aren't the most realistic or anything, but for space reasons they would be good.

I'll be buying the disc. I don't need a new drum kit other than RedOctanes, but it should still be kinda fun. The tracklist for the game on Wikipedia is surprisingly decent, even if they are covers.

lorddct

Joates said:
You know, this thread probably has already covered a lot of the stuff youre asking about.

Going through 27 pages isn't what I like to do. I usually just read the op, and a few pages.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth pre-ordering the special edition again, because of the new instruments or should I save up for the ION drum set and purchase the game separately using the old guitars.

bounchfx

I am so fucking lost what to do in regards to drums. I want GH4. I want RB2. I want the RB2 drums.. but I also want the Ion set. But I also want the fucking GH4 drums because theres another pad, I don't want to use the RB drums and miss out on some gameplay... if theres 5 notes I wanna hit 5 damn notes.

so it's probably going to wind up with me spending a fucking thousand dollars on this bullshit because these ass holes can't make it 100% compatible (as in me plugging in the Ion set to GH4 and having the full range of notes).

Ugh. I hate this.

The ION set may work with GH:WT. GH:WT basically supports a MIDI instrument of any sort through a connection on the drums, so presumably it is open to the idea of instruments other than RedOctane's being connected.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Sp3eD said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36938.html

At 1:44 all the songs from 29 fingers to Cherub Rock are in from 1.
On the left it notes 58 songs, the exact number of songs from RB1? odd. still no clues as to what songs won't make it (i.e. "most"). My guess is that the code they use now allows the whole disc to export but that the final code will restrict songs based on licensing issues =/

In other words I don't think it really confirms 29 fingers through Cherub rock sad to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom