• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Angina's tough!!" Rock Band 2 Track And Spec Info (& Dreams) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
TheGreatDave said:
Fantastic. It's mine.

But what about all that other delicious merchandise?

Which, when I look at it, makes me feel a little sick inside to the point where I really don't want to be associated with this kind of thing at all :(

XShagrath

McBradders said:
But what about all that other delicious merchandise?

Which, when I look at it, makes me feel a little sick inside to the point where I really don't want to be associated with this kind of thing at all :(
I wnat it all!! Figurines of my in-game characters, shirts with my band on them, mic with buttons, stage kit, cymbal add-on, extra kick pedal, MORE FIGURES AND SHIRTS!!!

HMX have found my weakness and I will just start signing my paycheck over to them come September.

I don't have a drum kit right now, because my yellow pad broke under the power of my mighty force. This was after a month of owning it, a week of which I didn't have a 360. I don't trust Harmonix to make stuff that doesn't break, not even figures of my characters. A mic with buttons is my limit.

McBradders

XShagrath said:
I wnat it all!! Figurines of my in-game characters, shirts with my band on them, mic with buttons, stage kit, cymbal add-on, extra kick pedal, MORE FIGURES AND SHIRTS!!!

HMX have found my weakness and I will just start signing my paycheck over to them come September.

No, see the figures and band logo shirts and stuff are actually pretty cool. I'm talking about game branded hats, drumsticks, guitair straps and other miscellaneous crap that really isn't anything but a shameless cash in that doesn't feed directly back in to the game.

TheGreatDave said:
I don't have a drum kit right now, because my yellow pad broke under the power of my mighty force. This was after a month of owning it, a week of which I didn't have a 360. I don't trust Harmonix to make stuff that doesn't break, not even figures of my characters. A mic with buttons is my limit.

That's Mad Catz anyway, so you're already fucked :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
TheGreatDave said:

00057633-616769_200.jpg

instabuy ($2400 though hm)

i hope this store get passed on to shawn from GFW considering the continuing music-game hate/mockery coming from him.

McBradders

AstroLad said:
00057633-616769_200.jpg

instabuy ($2400 though hm)

i hope this store get passed on to shawn from GFW considering the continuing music-game hate/mockery coming from him.

Shawn has awoken my own self loathing :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
McBradders said:
Shawn has awoken my own self loathing :(

:lol I have to say I am pretty skeptical of the hate (that "stop having fun guys, you're not in a real band!" comic comes to mind) but most of this kind of stuff deserves it.

XShagrath

All that stuff in the Rock Band official store has been on there since the game launched last year. I doubt they get much sales from it, but it's still a cool thing to have up on the store.

EDIT:

Engadget's got an article up about the Mad Catz stuff. Shows some pics of the portable kit, the cymbal add-on and mic, along with pricing stuff.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/17/mad-catz-rock-band-2-cymbals-portable-drums-premium-mic-and-m/

EDIT #2: $30 for the pack of three cymbals plus all supports is not a bad deal at all! The $50 mic is a little bit of a humdinger though.

McBradders

XShagrath said:
All that stuff in the Rock Band official store has been on there since the game launched last year. I doubt they get much sales from it, but it's still a cool thing to have up on the store.

Europe was late to the party, remember? :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What bothers me about the store is that the clothes are likely not designed by Harmonix and they likely just farmed out development so bleh.

RedOctane sell artist editions of the Les Paul. Its the guitar, a faceplate and a GH branded strap and costs about $150 or some shit. I think that's about as bad as it gets.

robochimp

AstroLad said:
What bothers me about the store is that the clothes are likely not designed by Harmonix and they likely just farmed out development so bleh.

The T-shirts look like they were designed by people who contributed to the tattoo art from the game

Onemic

Belgand said:
I don't think it's a constant thing, just the crash cymbal note that's at the end of fills. Since it already is swapping over for the fill I assume it just continues doing that until the end of the fill section with the crash. I doubt it will be indicated at all... you'll just have to know. This makes it simple, not confusing for people without the kit, and just a minor little bonus for people who have the cymbal expansion.

Since when do you get points for hitting the crash at the end of a fill?

McBradders

onemic said:
Since when do you get points for hitting the crash at the end of a fill?

There seems to be something called "squeezing" on the Scorehero forums and I think it applies to this.

No idea how it works though.

Onemic

McBradders said:
There seems to be something called "squeezing" on the Scorehero forums and I think it applies to this.

No idea how it works though.

But that's an exploit and not intended to be part of the game. I really think this extra points thing goes towards regular gameplay, as it makes the most sense.

Raistlin

McBradders said:
Yeah, they're actually pretty essential to anything above medium playing IMO, be it sock mods or pads. But then so's a metal repair/re-inforcement plate, again IMO.

For the pedal? Yeah, that's my next update. I remember initially wondering why people needed it; wondering what the hell they were doing to the drums.

Now that I've played through hard and am halfway through expert ... yeah ... I get it now :p

BTW - do you have a link to the site that goes over the sock mod? I'm curious.

Raistlin

XShagrath said:
I don't think this "hit the cymbal" for extra points will come to fruition. That would completely fuck the leaderboards for anyone that does not have the cymbal add-on.

My guess is that maybe with the cymbal add-on, you can only activate overdrive with the crash cymbal, therefore getting overdrive, and therefore getting more points.

Regardless of points, if they don't have a way of making it obvious what you're supposed to be hitting ...

FAIL!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Onix said:
Regardless of points, if they don't have a way of making it obvious what you're supposed to be hitting ...

FAIL!
I thought it was already mentioned how the cymbals will work, by Harmonix no less. Cymbals will just be pad extensions in the normal game. during fills they will register as unique pads. You don't get points for fills so I don't see how the cymbals would change that.

Onemic

borghe said:
I thought it was already mentioned how the cymbals will work, by Harmonix no less. Cymbals will just be pad extensions in the normal game. during fills they will register as unique pads. You don't get points for fills so I don't see how the cymbals would change that.

They said that you get extra points for hitting the appropriate pad/highat, suggesting that the game will make the notes look different depending on whether you need to hit a tom or a cymbal.

Raistlin

borghe said:

As I said, I don't care about the points.

What I want however, is for the game to make it clear which you're supposed to hit during regular gameplay (by something simple like make the note transparent, or glow, or have a different outline, etc).

I'm saying if that isn't there ... its kind of a big fail.

onemic said:
They said in that you get extra points for hitting the appropriate pad/highat, suggesting that the game will make the notes look different depending on whether you need to hit a tom or a cymbal.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Onix: You seriously need to stop begging for extra points. imo you shouldn't get a better score just b/c you spent more money on the game than someone w/o the cymbals. HAVE to keep a level playing field.

Onemic

AstroLad said:
Onix: You seriously need to stop begging for extra points. imo you shouldn't get a better score just b/c you spent more money on the game than someone w/o the cymbals. HAVE to keep a level playing field.

You will get extra points for hitting the appropriate pad though, HMX has already stated it. Now to make it level, I think HMX will simply make it that those without the cymbal expansions get the full points that they were supposed to get, but if you add on the cymbals, then you only get it if you hit he appropriate pad.

Raistlin

AstroLad said:

Is that sarcasm ... or have you simply lost your reading comprehension skills? :p

I ... don't ... give ... two ... shits ... about ... points ... :lol

I simply want to play the song accurately, without having to study every song in minute detail to figure out when to hit a cymbal versus a tom, etc. For main riffs, sure its obvious ... for small fills etc ... I really don't want to memorize every song.

It just want the notes to make it obvious whether you should by hitting a tom pad, or a cymbal pad. If they don't want to give extra points for it, I really don't care.

M3wThr33

Banned
onemic said:
You will get extra points for hitting the appropriate pad though, HMX has already stated it. Now to make it level, I think HMX will simply make it that those without the cymbal expansions get the full points that they were supposed to get, but if you add on the cymbals, then you only get it if you hit he appropriate pad.
The solo buttons make it easy to get a shitload of points during the BRE. If you don't use the strat (Or the Widow Maker), you can't get those as easily.

XShagrath

onemic said:
Has Harmonix stated it? Or was it just something from that Popular Mechanics article written by some people who probably aren't very into the game?

Show me where it's a quote from a HMX dev, and then I'll buy it. Otherwise, it's just a pipe dream.

DGRP

M3wThr33 said:
The solo buttons make it easy to get a shitload of points during the BRE. If you don't use the strat (Or the Widow Maker), you can't get those as easily.

Actually you could get more points on the BRE by not strumming/drumming like a madman.

Example, everytime you strum, wait for the fret to cool down then strum again.

epmode

Archie said:
After seeing how it was integrated into The Who pack, I'm inclined to agree.
I HATE that they did a BRE at the end of Baba O'Riley. I've always been a fan of how the drum roll slows down in time with the violin or fiddle or whatever. Completely lost in the BRE.

Raistlin

epmode said:
I HATE that they did a BRE at the end of Baba O'Riley. I've always been a fan of how the drum roll slows down in time with the violin or fiddle or whatever. Completely lost in the BRE.

Then quit being a point-whore and do it yourself :p

Granted, the snare doesn't sound exactly the same, but you can still BS it halfway decently. :)

Onemic

XShagrath said:
Has Harmonix stated it? Or was it just something from that Popular Mechanics article written by some people who probably aren't very into the game?

Show me where it's a quote from a HMX dev, and then I'll buy it. Otherwise, it's just a pipe dream.

It was from the popular mechanics article, bu they stated that HMX told them that you get extra points for hitting the appropriate pad, unless they just flat out lied.

Onemic

M3wThr33 said:

?

I'm talking about drums not the guitar.

M3wThr33 said:
Because of the freestyle section of it? Or because it makes people have fun at the end? Celebrate for finishing a song?

I hate how I get thrown in to a BRE section rather than just being allowed to play the songs as usual. Something like Cherub Rock or Train Kept A Rollin it just feels forced. I get no satisfaction out of frantically strumming and tapping buttons hoping I manage to score enough points to give me a decent score.

Except on drums. On drums it's fine, cos I can actually hear what I play.

AMUSIX

One question I haven't seen asked/answered...

do the drum fills use different kits for different songs? This has always bothered me, one moment I'm playing with a 2" piccolo snare and all of a sudden it becomes a 5" rock snare for the fills. Makes them so jarring and separates them so much from the song.

I know they've said that in the drum practice studio, you'll be able to fiddle with different kits, but not sure if they've used those kits in the songs. Anyone who played at E3 notice anything like this?

edit: on BREs...I could care less about what they do to scorehero, but BRE's are awesome to the max with a group playing, especially if you have a vocalist who's into it. Yes, the prerecorded guitar and bass lines aren't as good as the freedom given through vocals and drums, but it's how they handled it. The way I'd see them impreove is give a similar freedom to the guitar and bass, one that uses different notes at any one point for all 10 keys on the guitar (high widdlywee notes for the solo keys, low crunchy notes for the standard keys). Past music games have easily proven this can be done.

Raistlin

AMUSIX said:
One question I haven't seen asked/answered...

do the drum fills use different kits for different songs? This has always bothered me, one moment I'm playing with a 2" piccolo snare and all of a sudden it becomes a 5" rock snare for the fills. Makes them so jarring and separates them so much from the song.

While it would be hard to do (many drummers have big kits, so other than the snare, how do you approximate what pitch to use?) ... its a cool idea.

I've definitely wondered this myself, for the same reason you mention.

I know they've said that in the drum practice studio, you'll be able to fiddle with different kits, but not sure if they've used those kits in the songs. Anyone who played at E3 notice anything like this?

Speaking of the drum practice studio ... I haven't really seen any articles about it. Does anyone have a summary of its features?

* Obviously, there are different kits ... but can you individually adjust pieces?

* Metronome?

* Has there been any talk of what sort of tutorials there will be? Are there any?

I'm hoping they have some standard drum exercises for different levels of ability, as well as some specific technique exercises. Probably asking a lot though … but that would be really cool for n00bs like me :p

maynerd

Banned
I wish that they had an option to turn off the bass pedal on the drums. It would be nice for handicapped people. And people who suck like me.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Probably answered already but this thread is too huge, but will my GH3 guitar work with Rock Band 2 or will they "patch" it so it's incompatible this time around?

Struct09

maynerd said:
I wish that they had an option to turn off the bass pedal on the drums. It would be nice for handicapped people. And people who suck like me.

Well, there is a "no fail" mode now.

Wario64 said:
Probably answered already but this thread is too huge, but will my GH3 guitar work with Rock Band 2 or will they "patch" it so it's incompatible this time around?

On 360, most likely. It seems GH and RB instruments are all compatible with each game this time around. On PS3, no mention yet.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
maynerd said:

There's a No Fail mode.

Wario64 said:

I'd assume it would work since it works in RB1 and all RB1 instruments work in RB2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom