• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Angina's tough!!" Rock Band 2 Track And Spec Info (& Dreams) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneaky77

maynerd said:
I wish that they had an option to turn off the bass pedal on the drums. It would be nice for handicapped people. And people who suck like me.

I dont know if they have that, but they did include a no fail cheat in RB2

edit:ninja'd X3

Raistlin

Struct09 said:
On 360, most likely. It seems GH and RB instruments are all compatible with each game this time around. On PS3, no mention yet.

:\

Better fucking be. I'd like to try out GH:WT ... but I ain't buying another kit for that (especially since I'm plan on getting the ION kit).

Onemic

Onix said:
:\

Better fucking be. I'd like to try out GH:WT ... but I ain't buying another kit for that (especially since I'm plan on getting the ION kit).

Don't count on it. Almost 100% likely no compatibility will be coming to the PS3 regarding GHWT stuff.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I saw Freezepop tonight and asked Liz (the singer) why they weren't planned to have a song in RB2; she said they aren't going to have a song on the disc because they have no new material (which is what everyone already thought), but they're planning on doing more DLC in the future.

vatstep said:
I saw Freezepop tonight and asked Liz (the singer) why they weren't planned to have a song in RB2; she said they aren't going to have a song on the disc because they have no new material (which is what everyone already thought), but they're planning on doing more DLC in the future.

They fucking better. I want more Freezepop in my Rock Band

maynerd said:
I wish that they had an option to turn off the bass pedal on the drums. It would be nice for handicapped people. And people who suck like me.

I thought the lack of this option was a huge surprise. Add sucky gamers to people with broken pedals.

Another huge problem for me has been the tiny song lyrics. It sucks for those of us without perfect vision and 72" TVs.

Belgand

onemic said:
Since when do you get points for hitting the crash at the end of a fill?

Since my brain jumbled together the unsubstantiated statement in the Popular Mechanics article. That's when.

Ending a drum fill with a cymbal crash really gives you that rock star feel. During regular game play, the cymbals will be interchangeable with their color counterparts (although hitting the raised one scores extra points)

Frankly since it's just coming from someone at Popular Mechanics I doubt the veracity of this brief aside. Likewise I think there is absolutely no chance that it will show the notes differently at all. When someone from Harmonix tells us this is the case I'll believe it.

At best, though, I'd think that the add-on cymbals deliver slightly more points for all usage. At least, based on the way it's written here.

Still, I think the idea of adding in cymbal support as part of gameplay into 3 might be kinda awesome as an option for players who want to really take things to the next step. This add-on might be just because it looks like a fun thing to do (MadCatz had already announced a kit with cymbals and a hi-hat pedal for Rock Band before this), but it might also be a way for them to test the waters for the future while maintaining backwards compatibility and only slowly nudging things forward.

I still don't understand why you would give a game as competitive as Rock Band a mechanic where by you need to purchase additional hardware to get a better score. I'm not a good drummer so I'm not exactly going to be screwed over by this, but it just seems like a stupid addition.

sneaky77

TheGreatDave said:
I still don't understand why you would give a game as competitive as Rock Band a mechanic where by you need to purchase additional hardware to get a better score. I'm not a good drummer so I'm not exactly going to be screwed over by this, but it just seems like a stupid addition.

GH had cymbals.. so I guess they felt the need to add them? They are optional so it doesn't seem like they were ever part of the initial design for RB2, and is an extra $30, so I don't really like that, they should just include them in the bundle, or in the standalone kit.

sneaky77 said:
GH had cymbals.. so I guess they felt the need to add them? They are optional so it doesn't seem like they were ever part of the initial design for RB2, and is an extra $30, so I don't really like that, they should just include them in the bundle, or in the standalone kit.

I don't mind them adding the cymbals, even though I think they're kinda pointless without the charts changing to reflect them. I just don't want to be playing a match online, get 100% on a song and use overdrive at the same time as some guy and lose cos he had the cymbals that give you super points. The fact I'll never 100% a drum track makes this an unlikely scenario though.

sneaky77

I don't know if anyone here has seen the gamespot live demo for GH, but they explain that the orange crash notes will be mapped to either green or blue depending on the chart when the RB kit is plugged

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Ugg all the dates at the official RB store are changed to the Gamestop ones.

Oct 19th for the 360 bundle? God damnit. I'm selling everything so I can get the awesome instruments and this is how I get treated? lame.

XShagrath

rb2_drums6.jpg

This image popped up over on ScoreHero as the plugs for the cymbal add-ons. I've got a huge problem with this. There's only three! Where's the yellow for lefties?! It seems with this setup that the cymbal add-on is only available for righty mode, and lefties get screwed yet again.

FUCK!

EDIT: Thinking about it a little more, the blue cymbal may be able to act as a yellow cymbal when in lefty mode. They send different signals, so maybe this is their way around that without adding an additional plug. If this is the case, retract my "FUCK!"

EDIT2: I'm stupid. There is a yellow port, but no red. I need the green to act as a red so I can have a crash cymbal.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I don't see any reason you can't position the cymbals however you want. If righties need the yellow cymbal on the left, you can plug the yellow cymbal in and simply set it up on the right side.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
You're a lefty too, Shag? Awesome. *hifive*

I drum righty though, so this doesn't affect me though it is still kinda silly.

Onemic

TheGreatDave said:

I'm guessing they're gonna make it so that if you don't have the cymbal add-ons you get full points regardless, however if you do have them you need to hit the appropriate pad. Meaning HMX would have to differentiate between the tom and cymbals in the note chart. Either that or the popular mechanics article is fake.

XShagrath

Emerson said:
I don't see any reason you can't position the cymbals however you want. If righties need the yellow cymbal on the left, you can plug the yellow cymbal in and simply set it up on the right side.
Lefty mode switches the placement of all the notes. Therefore my crash cymbal is on red, whereas yours is on green. If the crash is mapped to green and I put it over by the red, then I'm going to hit it and it's going to sound like a snare. At least that's how I'm envisioning it now. If it truly is just sending the "crash cymbal" signal to the kit regardless of righty/lefty mode, then I don't have a problem with that. But if they're alienating lefties by just not putting in an additional plug, then I'm pissed.

onemic said:
I'm guessing they're gonna make it so that if you don't have the cymbal add-ons you get full points regardless, however if you do you need to hit the appropriate pad. Meaning HMX would have to differentiate between the tom and cymbals in the note chart. Either that or the popular mechanics article is fake.

The whole thing just seems ultimately pointless. I'm going to go with "fake".

Onemic

TheGreatDave said:
The whole thing just seems ultimately pointless. I'm going to go with "fake".

I'm still hoping that HMX differentiates between the toms and cymbals in the note chart though. It should be pretty easy to do, as the characters in the game always hit the appropriate drum or cymbal, when they're supposed to. Leading me to believe that each note they have in the chart has some sort of instruction on whether it's a tom/snare, or if it's a highhat/cymbal.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
XShagrath said:
Lefty mode switches the placement of all the notes. Therefore my crash cymbal is on red, whereas yours is on green. If the crash is mapped to green and I put it over by the red, then I'm going to hit it and it's going to sound like a snare. At least that's how I'm envisioning it now. If it truly is just sending the "crash cymbal" signal to the kit regardless of righty/lefty mode, then I don't have a problem with that. But if they're alienating lefties by just not putting in an additional plug, then I'm pissed.

Yeah I did realize the crash wouldn't work, but at least the hi-hat/yellow would on most songs. I seriously doubt they'd fuck over lefties like that though, I'm sure they have something.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Struct09 said:
Amazon updated their dates too :*(

Standalone game (360) - Sept 14th
Bundle (360) - October 19th

Damn, I can't believe they're going to push people to get the standalone vs. bundle like that. Oh well!

Toothpick

I heard on Majornelson's podcast that it will be possible to export all Rock Band 1 tracks from the CD to your 360 hard drive for a small fee. So you can play them all in Rock Band 2. Is there news on this?

AstroLad said:
Damn, I can't believe they're going to push people to get the standalone vs. bundle like that. Oh well!

I don't think it's really that big of deal. It just proves that the game is pretty much done for the 360 so they'll release it but everything else will have to wait. I'm not getting new instruments until I bust my old ones anyway. Of course my wife claims that I will start pounding the hell out of the drums.....and she's right. :lol

Toothpick said:
I heard on Majornelson's podcast that it will be possible to export all Rock Band 1 tracks from the CD to your 360 hard drive for a small fee. So you can play them all in Rock Band 2. Is there news on this?

It's been known for awhile.

I just hope we get the option of picking which tracks we want. If it's all or nothing I won't bother.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I want to see them use the animation data to differentiate between cymbals pads, too.

What really worries me is the thought that they won't put hi-hat on yellow at all times when they detect a high-hat cymbal. It would be sooooooooo easy to implement, especially considering how few songs have this issue, but I'm sure they're going to fuck this up.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
TAJ said:
I want to see them use the animation data to differentiate between cymbals pads, too.

What really worries me is the thought that they won't put hi-hat on yellow at all times when they detect a high-hat cymbal. It would be sooooooooo easy to implement, especially considering how few songs have this issue, but I'm sure they're going to fuck this up.

I assume you're talking about songs like RTTH where the hi-hat is on red? Yeah I hope there's a solution for this. I believe the ION set lets you assign the cymbals to any color note, but I'm not sure about the official RB2 set.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Emerson said:
I assume you're talking about songs like RTTH where the hi-hat is on red?
Yes.
Emerson said:
I believe the ION set lets you assign the cymbals to any color note, but I'm not sure about the official RB2 set.
This is not an acceptable solution.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
TAJ said:
Yes.

This is not an acceptable solution.

How is that not an acceptable solution? If you're about to play RTTH you switch the hi-hat cymbal to red. Easy enough.

If you expect them to re-chart RTTH so the reds are now yellow, you can forget it. There's a reason they didn't do it like that the first time.

TAJ

Emerson said:
How is that not an acceptable solution? If you're about to play RTTH you switch the hi-hat cymbal to red. Easy enough.

I get to pause the game and get behind the drum kit twice every time time I want to play one of those songs? Oh, boy...

They can easily take care of the problem on their end. If they can't figure out how, I don't know how they found jobs. They don't need to edit the charts, either.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
set_3_lg.jpg

As far as I can tell it'll require nothing more than switching a few of those plugs on top. It's more than acceptable for me.

TAJ

Emerson said:
set_3_lg.jpg

As far as I can tell it'll require nothing more than switching a few of those plugs on top. It's more than acceptable for me.

Look, I've barely done any programming, and even that was sixteen years ago, (I remember basically jack shit) but all they need is something along the lines of...

If Song = 043, Then Poll Cymbals, If Cymbals = True, Then R=2, Y=1, Else R=1, Y=2.

Yes... so difficult. The only reason they won't implement this is if they don't think of it. I estimate a high probability that they won't.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I agree that HMX won't likely do it even though it wouldn't be difficult. Since that is the case, I'm showing you that it won't be too difficult to work around it, at least with the ION set, which is exactly what I said in my first post.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
TAJ said:
Look, I've barely done any programming, and even that was sixteen years ago, (I remember jack shit) but all they need is something along the lines of...

If Song = 043, Then Poll Cymbals, If Cymbals = True, Then R=2, Y=1, Else R=1, Y=2.

Yes... so difficult. The only reason they won't implement this is if they don't think of it. I estimate a high probability that they won't.

I'm sure they've thought of it. Then Harmonix realizes that only .0001% of people care and it's not worth the effort to implement.

TAJ

duderon said:
I'm sure they've thought of it. Then Harmonix realizes that only .0001% of people care and it's not worth the effort to implement.

I can't imagine even the ION kit being that small a part of their sales. I guess no one is going to buy the cymbal add-ons either?
This will be something that will be complained about after the game is out, but won't be patched. I mean, they didn't even patch in online BWT and there was endless bitching about that.

At least with online BWT there's a solid excuse. It would take a long time to program to just give away for free, and they wanted it as a selling point for the sequel.

Harmonix should be focusing on perfecting everything in RB2. Adding in hyperspeed was a great move, and probably only happened because of the amount of bitching about it online.

TAJ

TheGreatDave said:
Harmonix should be focusing on perfecting everything in RB2. Adding in hyperspeed was a great move, and probably only happened because of the amount of bitching about it online.

I was bitching about hyperspeed before RB1 went gold, loudly and repeatedly. I still had to wait a year. People were just telling me to shut up about it. Some peoples' love is blind. Mine isn't.

TAJ

TheGreatDave said:
Then I'm sure you'll enjoy playing RTTH in Rock Band 3.

/cry
Salt... wounds...

Belgand

AstroLad said:

While it certainly sucks I'm inclined to think that it might have far more to do with manufacturing than anything else. They might just need the extra time to get the new controllers completed and out there in sufficient quantities. At the same time they want to get the standalone game out there earlier because they anticipate that many players who own Rock Band are just planning on buying it game-only and using their old equipment.

Personally, I'm just finally feeling glad that due to both the lack of a next-gen console and any money whatsoever I missed out on Rock Band so far and will be able to safely jump in with 2 and the better equipment and just buy the original for the extra songs.

Of course, it means that playing GH1 and 2 (and, unfortunately, 3) on the PS2 is becoming even more bitter and unbearable as time goes on.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
TAJ said:
I can't imagine even the ION kit being that small a part of their sales. I guess no one is going to buy the cymbal add-ons either?
This will be something that will be complained about after the game is out, but won't be patched. I mean, they didn't even patch in online BWT and there was endless bitching about that.

The Ion kit will sell well, but it will sell substantially less than the cymbal add-on, which will be a small fraction of overall standard drumset sales. Then you have to take the fraction of people that actually care about the hi-hat always being played on the yellow pad. This is no where near the same number of people that wanted online band world tour, hyperspeed or any of the other requests. It's a preference, gameplay would be practically unchanged.

Looks like I'll be picking up the game stand-alone and a guitar later. That works out for the best. I was going to grab the bundle but I don't need a new drum set (I barely play the current one) and I only really want a new guitar. I'll probably save about $80 by not buying the kit (figuring $60 for the game and guitar each).

TAJ

duderon said:
Then you have to take the fraction of people that actually care about the hi-hat always being played on the yellow pad.

I think that people generally buy controllers hoping to use them, but thank you, and I hope you're at least getting a check for this damage control.

omg rite said:
The different release dates thing is completely stupid.

If it's because they can't get enough hardware made I'm all for it. I'll be getting the disc only, so it works for me.

Oh wait, I'm in Europe, so I'll have to wait 6 months. Nevermind.

Ridley327

TheGreatDave said:
It's been known for awhile.

I just hope we get the option of picking which tracks we want. If it's all or nothing I won't bother.

Is there an underlying reason for not wanting an "all or nothing" deal with the export option?

Lack of hard drive space?
Uncertainty in which tracks will be brought over?
Possible unfair pricing (can't imagine it being more than $10, but some people...)
Not wanting anything to do with Dead on Arrival ever again?

BTW, to squash the "cymbals=MROE POINTZ" Score Hero douchebaggery...

CptUnderpant (RB2's lead designer) on Something Awful said:
Exactly. This is completely false, cymbals score exactly the same as pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom