• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime - Summer 08 - Show info and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Dattebayo said:
Naruto permanently dropped [Updated]

2008/07/18

Attention Dattebayo fans,

Effective immediately, we are terminating our subtitling efforts on the "Naruto Shippuuden". This decision is not up for discussion and not negotiable. You can guess why this is happening, and no, there is nothing you can do about it as there will always be assholes who want to piss in the pot so to speak.

It was a difficult decision, but it had to be done.

It's been a fun 4 years!

as long as they dont drop bleach i guess.

7Th

Regulus Tera said:
Birdy and Slayers REVOLUTION are the only two shows that have grabbed my attention this season. Am I missing something noteworthy, GAF?

Mahō Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no Sora, new project by the brilliant Osamu Kobayashi behind Gurren-Lagann episode 4. :D

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
rykomatsu said:
if you're into a more mellow series.

I think I'm in for a few tears.

7Th said:
Mahō Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no Sora, new project by the brilliant Osamu Kobayashi behind Gurren-Lagann episode 4. :D

Does not compute but will watch anyway because you seem to like stirring things up. :lol

At least tell me the animation is not shitty. :(

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Tiduz said:
as long as they dont drop bleach i guess.
:lol

I could ask my friend about it. He was DB's main translator when they took off but still has close ties to the group. He's the one where the "weeaboo wife" was needed in one of the credits, I think.

rykomatsu

Regulus Tera said:
Birdy and Slayers REVOLUTION are the only two shows that have grabbed my attention this season. Am I missing something noteworthy, GAF?

oh...also, it started last season, but continuing through Summer...

Slice of life comedy that's NOT one of those harem type romance series...puts a harvest god that's mischevious and lacks common sense into comical real-world situations with a decent helping of some serious plot progression. If you're into that kind of stuff, then I HIGHLY recommend Wagaya no Oinaraisama.

Really, for the most part, light hearted and just something you can flip on without thinking deeply into. Originally kept my eye on it because Yukana (C2 from Code Geass) and Nakamura Yuichi (Tomoya from Clannad) were playing the gender bender roles. Yukana's voice acting is VERY good and fits the role perfectly. But what I was really surprised about was Kano Yui's performance as one of the side roles (Sakura Misaki)...amazingly well done for her particular role.

All other series I just wait until i get home to watch...i actually stream Wagaya from home so I can watch it at work if the raws aren't up by sunday night...(remote access torrent client 4tw)

Zoe

Next episode of Soul Eater is filler... Ugh, it's gonna be hard forcing myself to watch it x_x

Defuser

Zoe said:
Next episode of Soul Eater is filler... Ugh, it's gonna be hard forcing myself to watch it x_x
Come on,you can't compare Bones Filler to Pierrot's filler. Bones is the master of good fillers although there are a few misses.

Zoe

Defuser said:
Come on,you can't compare Bones Filler to Pierrot's filler. Bones is the master of good fillers although there are a few misses.

But... it's Excalibur... possibly with multiple Excaliburs... \shudders

BTW, nice cameo that wasn't in the manga <3

duckroll

Defuser said:

Soul Eater is the "master" of nothing. BONES really dropped the ball on this show imo. And that's coming from a huge BONES fan. :p

Just watched the first ep of Blade of Immortal, hopefully it picks up because the first ep was filled with LOL BEETRAIN moments and not a single piece of the stylish gore the first chapter had

and what's with Manji suddenly having flashbacks of his childhood? and putting characters from farther into the series in the events of the first epsidoe was weird too

Cloudy

Banned
Just finished the Persona anime. W...T...F?

I didn't hate it but it was just a bit better than mediocre...

I actually like the show but I thought it was almost all filler so far :lol

Btw, I hear that Natsume Yuujin-chou is promising.

After 2 eps, I disagree. Unless you absolutely have to watch something, it's not worth it..

vareon

Linkzg said:
Golgo 13 episode 12 is so racist :lol

When trying to find Golgo in the stands, the options to find are White, Black, or Yellow. Wow.

The scanner can find White, Black and Yellow. He's asian so he's yellow.
:lol :lol :lol

rykomatsu

Cloudy said:
After 2 eps, I disagree. Unless you absolutely have to watch something, it's not worth it..

Best anime of summer season by a long shot thus far...completely different demographic target than anything out right now, though...so that might be why you think that? /shrug

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Anyone watched Genius Party yet? I know it came out last year and I've been secretly waiting for it to cop some subs.. and it looks like someone has finally done it (bar 2 episodes).

Thinking I might create a new thread for it because there is some serious hot stuff in it.

Cloudy

Banned
rykomatsu said:
Best anime of summer season by a long shot thus far...completely different demographic target than anything out right now, though...so that might be why you think that? /shrug

It just feels real episodic to me. Also it seems I'm not a fan of these slice-of-life animes featuring deities. Couldn't get in to Wagaya either :p

speedpop said:
Anyone watched Genius Party yet? I know it came out last year and I've been secretly waiting for it to cop some subs.. and it looks like someone has finally done it (bar 2 episodes).

Thinking I might create a new thread for it because there is some serious hot stuff in it.

dew it!!! I can't wait to watch!

Ronok

:( There are still no subs for Birdy #3.

I just watched a couple of eps of Natsume, and it's not too bad.... Not great, but, watchable. lol

7Th

Three episodes in and Kobayashi's "Natsu no Sora" is easily my favorite show of the season. The combination of cartoony, awkwardly timed, animation with saturated photography work creates a wonderful atmosphere that really captures your attention, making the drama and storytelling a whole deal more effective.

And Genius Party was wonderful, the title feature being specially mesmerizing.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Where are the Daughter of 20 Faces Subs? Why does stuff like Strike witches have 5 people subbing it and only 1 group doing Chiko

duckroll

How do you make Birdy more awesome that it already is? Add Wakamoto! :D

How do you make it even more awesome after that? Have Izubuchi write the next episode! :D :D

Can't wait! ^_^

atomsk

Party Pooper
finally got around to checking out a bunch of ep 1's of stuff

Chocolate Underground is so bizzare it's awesome. also on the list of things to follow are World Destruction and Yakushiji Ryoko No Kaiki Jikenbo

....and then i watched the first ep of Strike Witches

WHAT THE FUCK. DOES ANYONE WEAR PANTS IN THIS SHOW

ugh

rykomatsu

duckroll said:
How do you make Birdy more awesome that it already is? Add Wakamoto! :D

How do you make it even more awesome after that? Have Izubuchi write the next episode! :D :D

Can't wait! ^_^

I like how Wakamoto gets into his roles a lot compared to the majority of VA's out there. Him, Inoue Kazuhiko, and Ootsuka Houchu are probably the 3 VA's I enjoy listening to over the majority of female VA's out there.

Jason

I'm sleepy and I may be hearing things but did they not use any of the original voice actors for the new School Rumble? bah.

Zoe

vlcsnap-1463836.png

Excalibur has invaded the official site again.

:(

At least we'll get nothing but straight plot/action for the rest of the season after this episode.

zhenming

Macross F is getting wack for me, cant wait til Gundam 00 comes back this month!!!! And just watched Blade of immortal EP 1 didnt have enough action for me to impress me like WOW kenshin style... Will go onto EP 2 when it does come out...

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
momolicious said:
Is Gundam 00 as enjoyable compared to other gundam series and code geass? It got pretty low reviews on animenfo but im interested.
The first half is absolute shit. Far worse then Gundam Seed Destiny. Then it takes a 180 and goes to pretty awesome.

B.K. said:
Episode 12 was released today.

Awesome, finally! *watches*

I want episode 13, now! Must know what happens next... cliffhanger ending!

Great stuff, though... so many unanswered questions now, that it has raised...

Orin GA said:
Where are the Daughter of 20 Faces Subs? Why does stuff like Strike witches have 5 people subbing it and only 1 group doing Chiko

Because many people prefer generic fanservice to actually unique, interesting shows.

Vaporak

rykomatsu said:
oh...also, it started last season, but continuing through Summer...

Slice of life comedy that's NOT one of those harem type romance series...puts a harvest god that's mischevious and lacks common sense into comical real-world situations with a decent helping of some serious plot progression. If you're into that kind of stuff, then I HIGHLY recommend Wagaya no Oinaraisama.

Your description has me interested, but this thread is the ONLY hit on Google for "Wagaya no Oinaraisama." :lol Mind sharing a bit more?

duckroll

Holy shit this ep is driving me insane! He won't stfu, NOT EVEN DURING THE COMMERCIALS! >_<

EXCALIBUR! EXCALIBUR! SIGJOSIFHOAIHFDOAIHFDOIAODIAJ!RJOIJOI@QJROIH!JOHJI!I!!

Edit: And we shall never talk about that episode again. EVER. :(

BluWacky

Vaporak said:
Your description has me interested, but this thread is the ONLY hit on Google for "Wagaya no Oinaraisama." :lol Mind sharing a bit more?

It's spelt wrong - it's Wagaya no Oinari-sama (not Oinarai). Try Googling that instead!

In other news, Kaiba ended. It was weird. Good, but weird.

Exploding mind planets! Evil babies! Space ostriches implanted with memories of your mother! A giant mecha in love with a flying squid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom