• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ANT-MAN | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The list of competent directors willing to jump in at the last minute would be incredibly short. You couldn't put that together?

It remains to be seen if hiring this dude was a better choice than delaying the movie to get someone better to make it.

Bring It On is great tho.

That scene in which this one guy rams his thumb in the girl's pussy in front of an audience is okay, I guess.

It's like getting the 'You, Me and Dupree' guys to direct a spy thriller based on Captain America, ridiculous.

No it's not. These guys proved themselves to be competent directors. Peyton Reed has yet to make anything good.

No it's not. These guys proved themselves to be competent directors. Peyton Reed has yet to make anything good.
Okay I was joking but you seem to care enough about this to warrant a serious reply.

What exactly are you worried about? You can't really just say 'this director is most likely shit' and just keep that as your entire worry. Specificity would help. Are you worried about the script? The visual style? The direction of actors? What? In what way do you feel that Peyton Reed could not pull this off?

Personally I feel like you're being overly pessimistic as I believe the script will most likely be tight, Marvel are very careful with their films and Feige is a very hands-on producer and from what James Gunn has said is nothing if not confident in his vision and opinion.

I'm wishing Reed the best. I'm trying to not be "concerned" or "annoyed" about his hiring. I actually really want him to pull it off. That he's apparently as big a fan of Ant-Man as Wright and he's previously also done some Marvel film work (that FF 60s set that everyone loved) certainly helps.

Okay I was joking but you seem to care enough about this to warrant a serious reply.

What exactly are you worried about? You can't really just say 'this director is most likely shit' and just keep that as your entire worry. Specificity would help. Are you worried about the script? The visual style? The direction of actors? What? In what way do you feel that Peyton Reed could not pull this off?

Personally I feel like you're being overly pessimistic as I believe the script will most likely be tight, Marvel are very careful with their films and Feige is a very hands-on producer and from what James Gunn has said is nothing if not confident in his vision and opinion.

I'm not worried about the script as he didn't have any input on that. He certainly will have an influence on how it's brought to life, but the movie has a bunch of experienced and great actors in the lead, so I don't think that will be a problem. My main concern is that the movie will be bland and uninteresting in its visual style and cinematography. I am worried that the movie will consists of amateurish shots and countershots of people talking and stale action scenes, which will be negatively handled by more sterile editing. That's usually what happens when a bad or mediocre director helms a film. Just look at Brett Ratner's films, for example. He dilutes every potential he touches. I lump Payton Reed in the same category.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I'm not worried about the script as he didn't have any input on that. He certainly will have an influence on how it's brought to life, but the movie has a bunch of experienced and great actors in the lead, so I don't think that will be a problem. My main concern is that the movie will be bland and uninteresting in its visual style and cinematography. I am worried that the movie will consists of amateurish shots and countershots of people talking and stale action scenes, which will be negatively handled by more sterile editing. That's usually what happens when a bad or mediocre director helms a film. Just look at Brett Ratner's films, for example. He dilutes every potential he touches. I lump Payton Reed in the same category.

Pretty much. I mean it's different from GOTG where Gunn HARDCORE LOVED the material and as such did pitch documents and shit before he officially got the job. That's why GOTG works, because it's a mesh of the Marvel style and the style of a guy who wanted to make it as personal and weird as he could.

Now Ant-Man could be great. But nothing Reed has done suggests that's a sure thing. And going from someone like Wright who's visually dynamic to someone who's shot some bland looking films isn't encouraging.

Ithil

By all accounts, Reed is a big Marvel/Ant-Man fan, I imagine he pursued the job rigorously. People have dismissed Scott Derickson for Strange too, on account of him being "just some horror movie director", but I'll give him a chance.

Blader

Pretty much. I mean it's different from GOTG where Gunn HARDCORE LOVED the material and as such did pitch documents and shit before he officially got the job. That's why GOTG works, because it's a mesh of the Marvel style and the style of a guy who wanted to make it as personal and weird as he could.

Well, I think Reed did the same thing with Ant-Man too though? And had also done the same thing with FF years ago.

All excitement for this died with Edgar Wright leaving. Wasn't the biggest fan of World's End, but he is still far and away the best director they had for any of the Marvel movies imo.

Were there any leaks on the original script?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
By all accounts, Reed is a big Marvel/Ant-Man fan, I imagine he pursued the job rigorously. People have dismissed Scott Derickson for Strange too, on account of him being "just some horror movie director", but I'll give him a chance.

Reed also worked on a 60s era Fantastic Four film treatment, so his passion of Marvel is not the issue here. He was also a candidate to direct GOTG.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Well, I think Reed did the same thing with Ant-Man too though? And had also done the same thing with FF years ago.

Maybe he'll surprise me. If they go Mask of Zorro with the material, it could be fantastic. It's just that for a lot of us Wright + Ant Man was the mesh of passion and competence, and now we've got the guy who shot that romantic comedy with Ewan and Renee.

Okay, good. Do you still feel this way after the trailer? I thought that at least on the base of it the pallette and style seemed pretty good. The contrast between the warm, almost muted colours of San Francisco and the cool, bright colours when he was Ant-Man looked very good to me and the way in which his shrinking was shot whilst he is in the bathtub had a visual flair that I thought will hopefully be indicative of the rest of the film. We can disagree though, that's fine.

I also saw nothing to suggest that 'amateurish shots and countershots of people talking' would be in the film and I'd be suprirsed if they are. What in Reed's body of work suggests this? You very clearly initially called out Reed as a bad director but you're not backing it up with his own work but instead pointing to another director and saying 'he's also not good'.

What's the source for Reed working on a 60's period FF? I know he was briefly attached to direct what became the 2005 film, but my understanding is that the period thing was mainly speculation by fans and was never seriously considered by Fox.

tomtom94

I've thrown out any of my pre-conditioned expectations of Marvel directing choices ever since the guy who did Elf made Iron Man and a pair of TV directors mainly known for Arrested Development and Community made one of the best action movies of recent years.

Admittedly didn't work out quite so hot with Alan Taylor, but that movie had bigger problems at the screenplay level.

Here's one from Feige himself, also explains why Reed was the right choice.

That says nothing about his FF being a period film at all.

Here's a review of one of the scripts from when he was attached, that was definitely set in the present day.

I think the most Reed ever said about a period setting was "There was talk at one point of making it retro, but I think we’re probably not going to do that." I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like it came very far in that direction.

Okay, good. Do you still feel this way after the trailer? I thought that at least on the base of it the pallette and style seemed pretty good. The contrast between the warm, almost muted colours of San Francisco and the cool, bright colours when he was Ant-Man looked very good to me and the way in which his shrinking was shot whilst he is in the bathtub had a visual flair that I thought will hopefully be indicative of the rest of the film. We can disagree though, that's fine.

I also saw nothing to suggest that 'amateurish shots and countershots of people talking' would be in the film and I'd be suprirsed if they are. What in Reed's body of work suggests this? You very clearly initially called out Reed as a bad director but you're not backing it up with his own work but instead pointing to another director and saying 'he's also not good'.

There was nothing alarming in the trailer at all. I think it looks good and I will certainly go see it. But it's just a trailer. So I am concerned though, because Peyton Reed does not have a good résumé. I have seen Yes Man and Bring It On, and they were not very good. Bring It On was popular and kind of a phenomenon because of the subject material and the pretty ladies in it. Yes Man was kind of okay just because Jim Carrey was there to carry the film with his usual shtick. Neither of these movies had any sort of signature or style that would make Reed stand out amongst his peers, unlike Edgar Wright. And his other films have very low scores on RT, so I don't think there's anything there.

This is Ant-Man though, a Marvel film. I'm sure Reed has all the support he needs to make the film as good and as "Marvel-y" as possible. And the film will probably be "good" at least (I hope). But there is only so much others can do for him. And the problem is, there is nothing Reed has done in the past that I can use to say "I am excited to see his next film", unlike other directors such as Edgar Wright and James Gunn, who both have stellar résumés.

Anyways, I hope my fears are squashed and the movie turns out fantastic.

That says nothing about his FF being a period film at all.

Here's a review of one of the scripts from when he was attached, that was definitely set in the present day.

I think the most Reed ever said about a period setting was "There was talk at one point of making it retro, but I think we’re probably not going to do that." I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like it came very far in that direction.
Sorry I read your post poorly and misunderstood what you asked for despite it being clear in hindsight.

There was nothing alarming in the trailer at all. I think it looks good and I will certainly go see it. But it's just a trailer. So I am concerned though, because Peyton Reed does not have a good résumé. I have seen Yes Man and Bring It On, and they were not very good. Bring It On was popular and kind of a phenomenon because of the subject material and the pretty ladies in it. Yes Man was kind of okay just because Jim Carrey was there to carry the film with his usual shtick. Neither of these movies had any sort of signature or style that would make Reed stand out amongst his peers, unlike Edgar Wright. And his other films have very low scores on RT, so I don't think there's anything there.

This is Ant-Man though, a Marvel film. I'm sure Reed has all the support he needs to make the film as good and as "Marvel-y" as possible. And the film will probably be "good" at least (I hope). But there is only so much others can do for him. And the problem is, there is nothing Reed has done in the past that I can use to say "I am excited to see his next film", unlike other directors such as Edgar Wright and James Gunn, who both have stellar résumés.

Anyways, I hope my fears are squashed and the movie turns out fantastic.
Fair enough, let's just hope the film is great.

Gartooth

Marvel can always squeeze in another date in one of the years.

Assuming the earliest they could release such a movie is 2017, then they'd have to schedule a fourth Marvel movie in either 2017 or 2018. I haven't the slightest clue if Marvel could even pull that off, but I don't think that they would delay one of their 2017 or 2018 movies just to get Ant-Man 2 in earlier.

Right now my best guess is that Marvel is testing the waters with multiple new characters, and the ones that are big successes will get sequels in Phase 4 while the others are relegated to Avengers films like Hulk.

:D

Tj49zbT.jpg

I kind of feel like the teaser trailer was building toward a record-scratch, using the more generic elements of the movie up until the "Is it too late to change the name?" joke, but then stopped before the tone shift. I hope the full trailer shows bit more of what is going to make this movie unique.

I'm still cautious as how they're going to approach the selected few ants as characters with voices.

I mean, I shouldn't be, because we've had a talking tree and raccoon, but ants...gonna have to see it first before I believe.

Are they really gonna have one? Not doubting but there are no rumors about any one casted for the voices of the Ants.

Spux666

Banned
I have only one question......It may have already been answered but I'm not digging through this thread. How in the hell is yellow jacket the villain in the movie when ant man and yellow jacket are the same person! From what I understand, Darren Cross is yellow jacket in the movie and as far as I know the big disfigured hulk looking idiot Darren Cross HAS NEVER BEEN THE YELLOW JACKET! Someone please help me understand.

Slayven

I have only one question......It may have already been answered but I'm not digging through this thread. How in the hell is yellow jacket the villain in the movie when ant man and yellow jacket are the same person! From what I understand, Darren Cross is yellow jacket in the movie and as far as I know the big disfigured hulk looking idiot Darren Cross HAS NEVER BEEN THE YELLOW JACKET! Someone please help me understand.

It's just an ID

Avengers_Vol_1_264.jpg

Hell Pym was once Yellowjacket and Giant Man at the same time, due to some pym particle issues.

Moppeh

Banned

Artistic license.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Things in the MCU do not have to be directly aligned with the comics.

Spux666

Banned
It's just an ID

Avengers_Vol_1_264.jpg

Hell Pym was once Yellowjacket and Giant Man at the same time, due to some pym particle issues.

But no cause that's Rita DeMara who is actually the only other Yellow Jacket. Maybe if the villain was actually her then that would be fine. But taking an entire other villain and calling him someone else does not sit well with me. I'm still hyped as all hell for this movie though. Just wanted to confirm that it makes no sense :p

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
But no cause that's Rita DeMara who is actually the only other Yellow Jacket. Maybe if the villain was actually her then that would be fine. But taking an entire other villain and calling him someone else does not sit well with me. I'm still hyped as all hell for this movie though. Just wanted to confirm that it makes no sense :p

Are you going to be okay to learn that Stark/Banner probably create
............Vision
?

Slayven

It be alright, the Killian dude was basically a mashup of 3 different characters.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

I'm guessing this has something to do with the Yellowjacket change:

hank_pym_slap.jpg

Spux666

Banned
Are you going to be okay to learn that Stark/Banner probably create
............Vision
?

That's fine. At least that's just a minor back story change. Not taking another name for the movies hero and turning it into a separate villain + giving him the real name of another completely unrelated villain.

It be alright, the Killian dude was basically a mashup of 3 different characters.

Yeah and he was awful imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom