• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anti-Semitism drives record-high Western European immigration to Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember my brother did a student exchange with Israel before. They went there for 2 weeks, then the ones from Israel came for 2 weeks.

4 or 5 of the 10 people who came were scared to go to a doctor, because they are scared they will gas them. They were scared germans will attack them on the street and kill them. 3 had to be send back because of that paraonoia.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

As someone who lives in Berlin, the closest thing I have seen to anti-semitism are slogans being chanted at "pro-palestine" rallies. And these are publicly condemned, and tbh, often being yelled by diasporic palestinians.

I am pretty sure Germany, and Berlin especially, is pretty famous as a place young israelis go.

As an Englishman and a Jew, I've experienced much worse and don't know a single English Jew who hasn't his own similar story. The figures don't lie.

Much worse that someone should be scared to come the UK? Stop.

I never said anti-semitism isnt on the rise or that it doesnt exist. Im saying the idea that should scare you away from coming here is ridiculous.

Its not much better than not visiting a city because there was a shooting a month ago. Gonna need alot more that 473 incidents in a whole year for me to declare england an unsafe place for jews.

Reads like victim blaming.

That's a nice interpretation that isn't shared by many of the Muslim faith and arguably contradicts many statements of the Quran.

The whole thing is meaningless though. In the real world antisemitism is swelling year-on-year. In the real world, Muslim youths can chant "hamas, hamas, Jews to the gas!" at Ajax supporters and at rallys with impunity. In the real world, Jews just don't feel safe and, frankly wanted, in Europe any more.

I left, my family left. My Synagogue that had over 2000 members in 80s now has dwindled to under 100. This is a unique phenomenon that is happening mostly because anti-semitism is being ignored or palmed off with victim blaming and whataboutisms.

As an Englishman and a Jew, I've experienced much worse and don't know a single English Jew who hasn't his own similar story. The figures don't lie.
The mentioning of Jews or the son of Israel out of context can be easily misinterpreted. The Jews who are mentioned on some of these verses did wrong in the context of the time and place it mentions. Aren't Moses, David and Solomon are Jews and they had devoted followers? They are not hated figures and considered sacred.

Bedlam

Having read the thread I was curious about this myself and digged up a couple of studies from 2015 about anti-semitism in Germany (where I live). I was under the impression that the problem is pretty much a non-issue these days. We have a prominent Synagogue in the middle of the city and hardly anything was reported in the 10 years I live in this city; I think some idiots sprayed graffiti on it once but that's about it.

The studies I read want to suggest otherwise though. According to those, anti-semitism is on the rise again. However, all of these studies, all of whom were performed by some non-goverment organizations, rest their claims on the interpretation of criticism of Israel's policies as a new form of anti-semitism - which is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. In 2012, Jakob Augstein, journalist and son of the founder of DER SPIEGEL, was put on a "top 10 anti-semites" list by a Jewish organization just because he was critical of Israel's policies in an opinion piece. That's pretty telling. Can we critize Israel's policies in any way, shape or form without automatically becoming anti-semites? Some people don't think so apparently.

I remember my brother did a student exchange with Israel before. They went there for 2 weeks, then the ones from Israel came for 2 weeks.

4 or 5 of the 10 people who came were scared to go to a doctor, because they are scared they will gas them. They were scared germans will attack them on the street and kill them. 3 had to be send back because of that paraonoia.
Lol, teenagers are often idiots. Unrelated but you reminded me of the time some Germans came to my high school in England and some kids chanted at them, "We won the war! In 1944!"

Having read the thread I was curious a digged up a couple of studies from 2015 about anti-semitism in Germany (where I live). I was under the impression that the problem is pretty much a non-issue these days. We have a prominent Synagogue in the middle of the city and hardly anything was reported in the 10 years I live in this city; I think some idiots sprayed graffiti on it but that's about it.

The studies I read want to suggest otherwise though. According to those, anti-semitism is on the rise again. However, all of these studies, all of whom were performed by some non-goverment organizations, rest their claims on the interpretation of criticism of Israel's policies as a new form of anti-semitism - which is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. In 2012, Jakob Augstein, journalist and son of the founder of DER SPIEGEL, was put on a "top 10 anti-semites" list by a Jewish organization just because he was critical of Israel's policies in an opinion piece. That's pretty telling. Can we critize Israel's policies in any way, shape or form without automatically becoming anti-semites? Some people don't think so apparently.

Yeah. I would like to see the details of some of these "anti-semite" attacks too.

Attack on someone who happens to be jewish is not in itself anti-semite. Its just assualt.

Thread about increases in hate attacks on Jews leading to them leaving in record numbers.

You make comment that perhaps the Jews share some of the blame.

Much worse that someone should be scared to come the UK. Stop.

I never said anti-semitism isnt on the rise or that it doesnt exist. Im saying the idea that should scare you away from coming here is ridiculous.

Its not much better than not visiting a city because there was a shooting a month ago. Gonna need alot more that 473 incidents in a whole year for me to declare england an unsafe place for jews.

1. 473 incidents were in 6 months of last year, not the full year.

2. Those are reported incidents, many go unreported.

3. I came back and was on the receiving end of anti-semitic abuse within 5 minutes of walking in London.

Edit: oh and I didn't report it.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

As someone who lives in Berlin, the closest thing I have seen to anti-semitism are slogans being chanted at "pro-palestine" rallies. And these are publicly condemned, and tbh, often being yelled by diasporic palestinians.

I am pretty sure Germany, and Berlin especially, is pretty famous as a place young israelis go.

I dont have a clue what happened. One needed to go to the doctor, since he was sick and didnt want to go out of fear of being gased. Some others were scared they will be attacked on the streets because they are jewish and germans are still Nazis. Wonder why they even participated in the exchange.

Lol, teenagers are often idiots. Unrelated but you reminded me of the time some Germans came to my high school in England and some kids chanted at them, "We won the war! In 1944!"

Thats not that bad ;)

Having read the thread I was curious about this myself and digged up a couple of studies from 2015 about anti-semitism in Germany (where I live). I was under the impression that the problem is pretty much a non-issue these days. We have a prominent Synagogue in the middle of the city and hardly anything was reported in the 10 years I live in this city; I think some idiots sprayed graffiti on it once but that's about it.

edit: However, there was at least one incident recently where asylum seekers supposedly attacked exchange students from Israel. Gotta call it like it is, we imported us some actual anti-semitism, unfortunately.

We have a problem in Germany when you criticise Israels politics. The "Zentralrat der Juden" will always paint you as an anti-semite if you dare to criticise it...

I still don't understand this topic.
I still don't understand how this topic could be create
I still don't undrstand by what facts you can say that England and France is an Anti-semite country.

I'm kind amaze or scared by that because i can tell you for France (i'm french) that's not true at all. It's quite the opposite.
Are we gonna listen FOX NEWS and BFMTV or use our brains?

When someone like me are saying that ISIS is losing, are you ignoring me and continue create problems much more bigger than they're actually ; or just believe me (because it's fact, ISIS is really losing) ?

MegaMelon

That's a nice interpretation that isn't shared by many of the Muslim faith
Any stats to back that up? You may (sadly) be right about these incorrect attitudes that many of my faith have but you understand as a Muslim I'd be interested in seeing some form of evidence that re-affirms what you're saying.

and arguably contradicts many statements of the Quran.

You can't randomly look at Quranic verses. You have to consider them in context. You could probably find 2 verses in the Quran that directly contradict each other when viewed in isolation but when seen in context make much more sense.

See the following:
[2.62] Surely those who believe, and those who are Jews, and the Christians, and the Sabians, whoever believes in Allah and the Last day and does good, they shall have their reward from their Lord, and there is no fear for them, nor shall they grieve.
On its own this verse paints a much different picture than what many people believe.

It's also very well documented the way the Prophet (pbuh) has told us Muslims to treat others including Jews. I am not unaware of the many who are disrespectful and flat out abusive to Jews who claim to be Muslims and I'm sorry that this is the way some people are. But please understand that there are many Muslims who condemn such behaviour.

Thread about increases in hate attacks on Jews leading to them leaving in record numbers.

1. 473 incidents were in 6 months of last year, not the full year.

2. Those are reported incidents, many go unreported.

3. I came back and was on the receiving end of anti-semitic abuse within 5 minutes of walking in London.

Edit: oh and I didn't report it.

How can anyone even tell you are Jewish? Do you wear a kippah?

For example two christian church were burn few days ago in france.
Nobody talked about in media.
And guess what? I'm christian and i don't care.
I "endure". I shut myself because i know those who did that are just fuc**** morons , they're will be catch by the police and go to jail.

And that's it.

Now a guy with fifteen years old attack a jewish teacher, it's bad ok i'm angry about that. But a rabbi tell after that "we need to stop wearing the kippa in France" ? WTF?
That teenager is now REALLY HAPPY because media and the rabbi make this guy SO IMPORTANT about what he did, so others assholes like him will do the same, but this teenager is NOTHING! It's an ant, nothing more nothing less!

But foxnews, cnn, bfmtv etc... are talking during FOUR DAYS this week about this event. What the hell! That teenager now even if he's in jail is really happy, you gave him what he want.

ENDURE ! Stop crying, Muslims are the one the most attacked by those idiotics fanatics from ISIS, not jews! We need to calm down with those bullshit because ISIS is losing, we're in an optimistic wave. This is not January 2015 with charlie hebdo attacked and ISIS who gain cities and villages everyday. This is January 2016 with ISIS who is fu*ked and do many attacks in many country to make a bomb smoke about their situation!

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The studies I read want to suggest otherwise though. According to those, anti-semitism is on the rise again. However, all of these studies, all of whom were performed by some non-goverment organizations, rest their claims on the interpretation of criticism of Israel's policies as a new form of anti-semitism - which is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.

I posted a link to a government study earlier:

The 2011 report on the issue of anti-semitism in Germany (no English version, sorry), researched by and for the German government, concluded that 20% of people living in Germany exhibit "latent anti-semitism"; that is, they have anti-semetic ideas that are not necessarily consciously malevolent and do not lead to violence, but are still akin to "diet racism." It mentions far-right extremism, far-left extremism, and Islamism as main sources.

In 2012, Jakob Augstein, journalist and son of the founder of DER SPIEGEL, was put on a "top 10 anti-semites" list by a Jewish organization just because he was critical of Israel's policies in an opinion piece. That's pretty telling. Can we critize Israel's policies in any way, shape or form without automatically becoming anti-semites? Some people don't think so apparently.

Much of that assessment comes from the fact that criticism of Israel, especially from the Left, ist often times disproportionate and non-factual. It is equally telling to see that this tiny piece of land und a democratic government has been singled out by the Left many times over the last decade, while countries with far worse situations and totalitarian/fascist governments have comparatively been ignored. In parts, many on the Left have bought into the narrative of Israel's neighbors who have historically opposed Jewish immigration on anti-semitic grounds, because the enemy of my enemy (the "American hegemony") is my friend. This is why people like Augstein are getting the honor. Some argue that they are fellow travelers of anti-semitism; not without reason, in my opinion.

The Jewish Agency sounds like propaganda trying to get the Jewish diaspora to migrate to Israel, lol

In what world is Israel safer than France or UK (or most of the West)?

Yeah it's not surprising. Just like Netanyahu took advantage of France's terrorism threat, this one in particular was during the charlie hebdo terrorist attacks.

pjtNvkO.png

In response to a post that was suggesting that Muslims were the only problem and the only ones attacking Jews.

Note that you're the one seeing my post as attempting to blame Jews for the attacks. Maybe put down the persecution complex and not see every post as victim blaming Jews?

Dishy

Unconfirmed Member

edit: However, there was at least one incident recently where asylum seekers supposedly attacked exchange students from Israel. Gotta call it like it is, we imported us some actual anti-semitism, unfortunately.

Concerning your edit: Are you mixing up something? It was german right wings that attacked Israeli exchange students, they thought that they were arabs.

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/just...en-israelis-als-scheiss-araber-a-1071703.html
http://www.sz-online.de/nachrichten/rechte-pruegeln-israelische-studenten-3295524.html

Or are you talking about another incident?

Any stats to back that up? You may (sadly) be right about these incorrect attitudes that many of my faith have but you understand as a Muslim I'd be interested in seeing some form of evidence that re-affirms what you're saying.

Sure thing.

It's also very well documented the way the Prophet (pbuh) has told us Muslims to treat others including Jews. I am not unaware of the many who are disrespectful and flat out abusive to Jews who claim to be Muslims and I'm sorry that this is the way some people are. But please understand that there are many Muslims who condemn such behaviour.

You've probably heard of Hamas right? Did you know that most of their charter is quotes from the Quran and Hadith?

For example, they quote this Hadith:

The Day of Judgement will not come about until Muslims fight the Jews, when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say O Muslims, O Abdullah, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him. Only the Gharkad tree, (the Boxthorn tree) would not do that because it is one of the trees of the Jews.

I do.

Yeah it's not surprising. Just like Netanyahu took advantage of France's terrorism threat, this one in particular was during the charlie hebdo terrorist attacks.

pjtNvkO.png

Actually that was in response to the Hyper Cacher islamic terror attack that happened at the same time as Charlie Hebdo.

Depends on the branch. Here in Antwerp we have a large community of Hasidic Jews who are very recognizable by their clothing and hairstyle.

Anti-semitism is still a severe issue in Western-Europe and I often feel it is downplayed, partly because Israel is often portrayed as the bad guy in the media.

Depends on the branch. Here in Antwerp we have a large community of Hasidic Jews who are very recognizable by their clothing and hairstyle.

Anti-semitism is still a severe issue in Western-Europe and I often feel it is downplayed, partly because Israel is often portrayed as the bad guy in the media.

In bad internet media you mean?

Actually that was in response to the Hyper Cacher islamic terror attack that happened at the same time as Charlie Hebdo.

Yeah it was when the Jewish store was attacked but it was still taking advantage of the situation of terrorism in France because Amedy Coulibaly was part of ISIS and friends of the Kouachi brothers and his attack on the superette was an act of terror itself.

Much of that assessment comes from the fact that criticism of Israel, especially from the Left, ist often times disproportionate and non-factual. It is equally telling to see that this tiny piece of land und a democratic government has been singled out by the Left many times over the last decade, while countries with far worse situations and totalitarian/fascist governments have comparatively been ignored. In parts, many on the Left have bought into the narrative of Israel's neighbors who have historically opposed Jewish immigration on anti-semitic grounds, because the enemy of my enemy (the "American hegemony") is my friend. This is why people like Augstein are getting the honor. Some argue that they are fellow travelers of anti-semitism; not without reason, in my opinion.

And there it is. Being against the Israeli government hints at you being an anti-semite. The train never fails. Of course nobody thinks that all of the Christians that are diehard supporters of the Israeli government are anti-Muslim. They really support the Israeli government due to their politics and "sister religion."

ElTorro

And there it is. Being against the Israeli government hints at you being an anti-semite. The train never fails.

I recommend you the second last chapter of Nick Cohen's (himself a Lefty) book "What's Left" if you want to read a more elaborate formulation of that argument to counter-balance your nuanced reading of my post.

I recommend you the second last chapter of Nick Cohen's (himself a Lefty) book "What's Left" if you want to read a more elaborate formulation of that argument to counter-balance your nuanced reading of my post.

I'm not going to buy a book and read the whole thing just for the off-chance that you presented a crappy argument that has been easily proven moot time and time again.

Let me guess "Supporting Israel is the real way of the liberal due to them having liberal values like equal rights for women, LGBT rights, and a more liberalize economy" or is it one of those other flavors?

ElTorro

Let me guess "Supporting Israel is the real way of the liberal due to them having liberal values like equal rights for women, LGBT rights, and a more liberalize economy" or is it one of those other flavors?

No.

Bedlam

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
There are almost 800 active hate groups in the United States.

Groups that focus on being anti-Muslim double that of anti-Jew.
Though to be fair I assume Neo-Nazis and White Nationalist likely have Jews on their plate as well, especially the former.
general-hate-count-breakdown2014.png

Neo-nazis, skin heads, kkk, etc have always been anti-Jewish. That graph is weird because they don't explicitly have an anti-Jewish section other than holocaust deniers but you can be anti-Jewish without being a holocaust denier.

norinrad

pjtNvkO.png

I have never heard him say this about Ethiopian and other Jewish people living in say Algeria.

Bibi is a strange guy.

Frodo

I'm not going to deny Anti-Semitism, but being afraid to visit England, or even France for that matter, because of your religion is a concern that is not really based on the reality we live now. It is a completely unsubstantiated concern.

Particle Physicist

I'm not going to deny Anti-Semitism, but being afraid to visit England, or even France for that matter, because of your religion is a concern that is not really based on the reality we live now. It is a completely unsubstantiated concern.

I was curious about this so I did a quick Google search for France.

4 killed in Jewish grocery store: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-of-terror-attacks-in-france-emerge/21567281/

3 Jews stabbed: http://www.timesofisrael.com/3-jews-stabbed-in-anti-semitic-attack-in-france/

15-year-old stabs Jewish teacher for being Jewish : http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ish-teacher-in-the-name-of-isis-a6807601.html

This is the last few months and just a quick google search. I don't know, it's not like massive amounts of people getting attached or killed but it's enough that I would say the fear is not unsubstantiated.

KooopaKid

Banned
The Jewish Agency sounds like propaganda trying to get the Jewish diaspora to migrate to Israel, lol

In what world is Israel safer than France or UK (or most of the West)?

Yeah it seems some Israeli organizations are trying to push this agenda. I don't know why.

Here's a counter-documentary from "Envoyé Spécial" (In French) to demonstrate if it is dangerous to wear a kippa in Paris and sensitive neighborhoods. He had no problem whatsoever. It was to counter another video where a Jew walking in Paris was getting insulted left and right. Thing is this Jewish person was a Sionist militant, ex-member of the communication services for the Israeli Army.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsdGk70ulco

32 years in Britain and I've never heard someone say something anti-jew. Not once. Everyone else countless times.

this topic is insane
Or was made on purpose to talk about anti-semitism with no fact just for trolling

Leave this topic, it goes nowhere. It's just a "smash bros" topic

Excuse me whilst this thread makes me pummel my face into a wall.

EDIT: Sorry for the drive-by post at first.

I'd like to respond to this:

"Why are they talking about Israel? Saudi Arabia and Iran are way worse!" may feel like a fair complaint, but it's actually misdirecting yourself. Israel is a democracy, it is a just, fair place, but it also has the eternal conflict with Palestine - that's something that needs to be solved irrespective of how bad the rest of the Middle East is.

(And it's also not fair to say that anti-semitism is some uniquely Left issue - you have extremely well respected Jewish politicians of the Left in the UK like Gerald Kaufman, and the last leader of the Labour party was the son of a Jew. In the US, Bernie Sanders is Jewish. Whilst there are definitely people who call themselves things like anti-Zionist on the Left - you're talking about a large body of people, and this is the UK illiberal Left, them having many idiots amongst them is a matter of course.)

Jag

this topic is insane
Or was made on purpose to talk about anti-semitism with no fact just for trolling

Leave this topic, it goes nowhere. It's just a "smash bros" topic

Practically every claim and rising incidents has been cited. Your responses have no facts other than "France is fine. Stop watching Fox."

Joni

I was curious about this so I did a quick Google search for France.

4 killed in Jewish grocery store: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-of-terror-attacks-in-france-emerge/21567281/

3 Jews stabbed: http://www.timesofisrael.com/3-jews-stabbed-in-anti-semitic-attack-in-france/

15-year-old stabs Jewish teacher for being Jewish : http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ish-teacher-in-the-name-of-isis-a6807601.html

This is the last few months and just a quick google search. I don't know, it's not like massive amounts of people getting attached or killed but it's enough that I would say the fear is not unsubstantiated.

Which pales in comparison with the literal hundreds of antisemetic stabbings in Israel over the last four months. I wouldn't be less fearful if I were to live there.
http://mfa.gov.il/MFA/ForeignPolicy/Terrorism/Palestinian/Pages/Wave-of-terror-October-2015.aspx

Jag

there is incident everyday in every country.

Yes, and its one the rise. That's the point of the thread. It's not trolling when the facts show that things are really getting worse for Jews. I'm not saying they should emigrate, but it is getting worse and people need to be aware.

UK anti-Semitism hit record level in 2014, report says

A report by the trust, which provides security for Britain's Jewish community and monitors anti-Semitism, said the number of incidents had more than doubled to 1,168 in 2014.

It is the highest figure since the trust began monitoring in 1984.

Particle Physicist

Joni

Sure. But I wasn't focused on Israel. Just the idea that there is no antisenitism in France or England. Or that it hasn't been on the rise in recent years when all indicators show that it has.
I don't deny that, but if the fear isn't unsubstantiated, Israel would by far the worst first world country to be as a jew in 2015.

Some people categorize certain anti-"Zionist" views, which can be found on the left of the political spectrum, as anti-semitic; like holding Israel to higher standards than other countries, or accepting certain conspiracy theories as fact. I tend to believe that this is rather a consequence of anti-Americanism/anti-Imperialism and has little-to-nothing to do with the Jewish identity.

Holding Israel to higher standards than other countries?

Destroying a people and stealing their land is a step too much to expect I suppose.

Nonsense.

An apartheid state deserves to be given shit.

Fond of killing civilians, children among them with their heavy handed retaliation, foreign students and peace observers.

Roufianos

Mock in what way? Can you give some examples.

Yea of course:

My secondary school had a lot of Jewish students. They were so badly bullied that 3 or 4 in my class left. One day a Jewish girl in the year below got her kick-boxer friend to come and threaten a few guys and girls who were bullying her.

At college. a guy's giving a presentation on Jews during the Russian Revolution. The first slide has a cartoon image of a big nosed Jewish man holding money. Most of the class laugh, including the teacher.

Another day outside college, a Jewish man walks passed, someone coughs *fucking Jew*, everybody laughs.

At Uni, I'm giving a presentation on European Anti-Semitism prior to WW2, people smirk at some of the anti-Semitic quotes that I read out from the intellectuals of the time.

Always outside my Uni there was fundraising for Palestine, they were always talking shit about Jews and yet I never saw anyone confront them.

At work a few months ago, the women I'm working under received a phone call, she joked after that he had a Jewish sounding name so she might not take the case on from fear of not being paid.

While Christmas shopping this year, a Jewish man walks past a white couple. The husband says "I bet he was looking for the discount section".

Even in Cyprus this year, a man come over to the burger bar, the chef assumed he was Cypriot so spoke Greek to him, the customer replies in English and says he's Israeli, the chef's face drops and he says "Fucking Jew" to his friend in Greek.

Terrorism is not the same as anti-semitism.

Aren't there more terrorist attacks in Israel than in France?

The biggest difference is that in France the just hunt down the culprits instead of razing whole neigbourhoods in retaliations.

In parts, many on the Left have bought into the narrative of Israel's neighbors who have historically opposed Jewish immigration on anti-semitic grounds, because the enemy of my enemy (the "American hegemony") is my friend.

Jewish immigration into Israel? I don't think there's much opposition per se. It's the settlement of Palestinian territories that's problematic. Nothing anti-semitic about that.

I've never personally witnessed an act I considered anti-semitic.
Almost every single time I played a raid on destiny someone asked if anyone on the team was black and then told several racist jokes.

I think folks need to recognize that it's a problem and also recognize that it can be really hard to see it happening if you aren't part of the affected group. If Jewish people are saying that it's happening, it's happening.

I'm not in Europe, I'm in NYC and I always think of the city as being very safe for Jewish people and, of course, there's a massive Jewish population here but, still, every year, there are at least a couple of newsworthy incidents of anti-semitism that occur. And for every one of those, how many little incidents don't make it to the news? I walk past the Jewish Historical Society most days heading to work and there is a permanent NYPD squad car stationed out front. It's not there for nothing.

There's more to feeling safe than just percentages of being killed. Maybe there's a higher chance of being killed in Israel than elsewhere but what is it worth to you to feel included, protected, and equal, to truly belong, to not having nasty looks or snide remarks follow you everywhere, every day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom