• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP - Europe moves to limit cheese names in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Parmesan is the generic name for that style of cheese in the US. If it's labeled as Parmesan it's most likely not from Parma. Parmiggiano-Reggiano is the specific name/brand/label in the US for that style of cheese from Parma, you can't use it unless it's been imported from Parma. Attempts to change this in the minds of the US general public are probably a century to late.

Thing is, most people buy cheese because its cheese and they like how it tastes, and dont give a flying fuck if its manufactured in some remote village or in the US. As long as its cheese and its on the plate. Importing and forcing the real name on the genuine cheese will just turn people OFF the more expensive stuff. People will ask for Cheddar and have to buy some expensive import and then say fuck that and buy the cheap stuff anyway and STILL call it cheddar. Thats how ingrained those names are into peoples minds. they will still call cheese dust parmesan and so forth. There are a lot of cheese names still out there that havent lost association with their parent region so protect those, but for common cheese names that ship has sailed.

Yes, misleading advertising and labelling are amazing.

Actually, if the packaging says explicitly "Made in Italy", it has to come from Italy. If it has a seal that says "Italy's favorite" with an accompanying Italian flag, it doesn't have to come from Italy. Thats called puffery in advertising which is completely legal.

cajunator

Banned
Actually, if the packaging says explicitly "Made in Italy", it has to come from Italy. If it has a seal that says "Italy's favorite" with an accompanying Italian flag, it doesn't have to come from Italy. Thats called puffery in advertising which is completely legal.

Agreed with this. Pay attention to the wording on a label. Its not the manufacturers fault if you dont. Look down where its made and it will be immediately obvious.

The main thing I'm taking away from this thread is that Europe is screwing over the village of Cheddar.

"West Country Farmhouse Cheddar" is a protected term in Europe, but "cheddar" is used as a generic term.

That would be like "Authentic Italian Parmesan" being protected, but "parmesan" being used as a generic term.

Shame on you Europe.

Wow, you'll telling me the cheese at my supermarket isn't made in Italy?

Next you'll tell me the pizza with all the Italian flags on it isn't from Italy.

Some of it is, some ain't. Some of it pretends to be italian when it's not, which is quite clear from the examples I posted. The case of Galbani is especially egregious, since people assume it's a "reputable" producer, but in the US they just dump fake Italian cheese imported from elsewhere since there are no regulations for geographical indications.

I'm aware of that, which is why I said it's misleading, not outright false (or illegal).

Agreed with this. Pay attention to the wording on a label. Its not the manufacturers fault if you dont. Look down where its made and it will be immediately obvious.

Another point of the matter is that food produced in the US doesn't have to indicate its origin.

Toxi

Banned
Some of it is, some ain't. Some of it pretends to be italian when it's not, which is quite clear from the examples I posted. The case of Galbani is especially egregious, since people assume it's a "reputable" producer, but in the US they just dump fake Italian cheese imported from elsewhere since there are no regulations for geographical indications.
I was joking. I'm sorry if it didn't come off that way.

I didn't even realize there was actual Italian cheese in the supermarket until now. Always assumed it was all made here.

Simplet

It doesn't have to be.

The main thing I'm taking away from this thread is that Europe is screwing over the village of Cheddar.

"West Country Farmhouse Cheddar" is a protected term in Europe, but "cheddar" is used as a generic term.

That would be like "Authentic Italian Parmesan" being protected, but "parmesan" being used as a generic term.

Shame on you Europe.

That's just making some concession for things that are too hard to change. We'll make some concessions here too if the US doesn't dismiss the whole thing out of hand (which they won't). But even if the name Parmesan stays, we'll try to get rid of (some of) the italian imagery, or call it Parmesan-style and so forth. It's really not that terrible.

It's not the manufacturer's fault if you assume that some cheese is imported from Italy when it says IMPORTED in huge capital letters on the packaging?

Deception is deception, corporations don't need your moral support.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This is practically an act of war. Are we just gonna sit down and take this?

We can call cheese what we want to.

That's just making some concession for things that are too hard to change. We'll make some concessions here too if the US doesn't dismiss the whole thing out of hand (which they won't). But even if the name Parmesan stays, we'll try to get rid of (some of) the italian imagery, or call it Parmesan-style and so forth. It's really not that terrible.

Exactly. And that's what we've been saying: these terms are way too established as generic in the US to change them now. It's too late.

I agree that there should be a protected term, similar to "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar", for other cheeses, so they can capitalize on authenticity. And I agree that the US should have better laws against misleading advertising (such as the ones which strongly imply it was imported from Italy).

Eusis

Well, I can understand it to an extent, but some compromises seem to be in order. Namely parmesan, typically over here far as I can tell it's normally called Parmigiano Reggiano if it's imported, why not just ensure that stays the case and the generic knockoff keeps the name parmesan? There probably isn't as clean of a solution to the others, though I guess "gouda style" really isn't that bad.

cajunator

Banned
It doesn't have to be.

It's not the manufacturer's fault if you assume that some cheese is imported from Italy when it says IMPORTED in huge capital letters on the packaging?

Deception is deception, corporations don't need your moral support.

People generally dont buy cheese because its imported or whatever. they buy it because its a flavor of cheese they like. Only snobs buy things because its imported from one place or another. The ones who do care about such things probably know enough about the genuine product to specifically look for it. I dont even read the packaging on cheese. I buy sargento because its neatly packaged and convenient and tastes good to me. I dont care where its actually from. Theres displays in certain stores with more exotic types of cheeses in it and the way they are packaged and labelled its immediately obvious that its authentic. If Im in the mood for authentic cheese I will just read the labels carefully and make sure I have the real stuff. Otherwise Im going bargain hunting because its freaking cheese.

anyway Ive said what I think about..cheese. Its cheese. I shouldnt be arguing about cheese. HoweveR I am hungry so I shall go eat some.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My problem with this is that I think there's merit to the argument that its capitalizing off of American efforts to popularize those cheese styles. Protected designation of origin (PDO) products have existed and been protected for decades or even centuries. Frankly, the imaginary statute of limitations kind of ran out on Parmesan cheese.

People generally dont buy cheese because its imported or whatever. they buy it because its a flavor of cheese they like. Only snobs buy things because its imported from one place or another. The ones who do care about such things probably know enough about the genuine product to specifically look for it. I dont even read the packaging on cheese. I buy sargento because its neatly packaged and convenient and tastes good to me. I dont care where its actually from. Theres displays in certain stores with more exotic types of cheeses in it and the way they are packaged and labelled its immediately obvious that its authentic. If Im in the mood for authentic cheese I will just read the labels carefully and make sure I have the real stuff. Otherwise Im going bargain hunting because its freaking cheese.

Yep. Not once did I think, when purchasing this cheese, that it came from Mexico. You would be hard pressed to find any American that would buy this cheese with expectations of it being true cheeses from Mexico. We just know it tastes good and associate that flavor as "Mexican blend". Sorry our consumerism is different than yours, EU.

KraftShreddedMexicanTacoCheese8oz.jpg

We don't expect Monterey Jack to be from Monterey, Mexico.

That's the root of "Parmesan." A lot of the Parmesan we eat - not the Kraft dust - actually comes from Argentina, since there's a big Italian population there. You can't refer to your cheese as Parmiggiano-Reggiano unless it's, you know, actually P-R.

My point is 99% of Americans are going to go "So?". There is close to zero importance attributed to place, and sub-zero association with the name to that place. It's not even on the radar.

Coming from that perspective, the name issue almost seems like an imposition of language and culture rather than fairness. It would be more fair to restrict the use of national flags, names, certain misleading words, etc. (Ala what happened in Canada) than try to basically change the common name of a whole class of products as the consumer understands them.

My problem with this is that I think there's merit to the argument that its capitalizing off of American efforts to popularize those cheese styles. Protected designation of origin (PDO) products have existed and been protected for decades or even centuries. Frankly, the imaginary statute of limitations kind of ran out on Parmesan cheese.

Keep in mind that according to the terms of the deal:

Existing cheeses would still be able to market under those names, but expansion would be limited for new products.

Simplet

Well your post shows clearly the damage that american companies have done to the brands of european cheese; through their decades of "popularizing" them by stealing their names and reputation. Clearly all the italian imagery does something for the manufacturers, otherwise why would they plaster it everywhere? Except now you have no culture or concept of what good cheese is and the very idea of eating cheese that is actually edible seems "snobish" to you.

cajunator

Banned
My point is 99% of Americans are going to go "So?". There is close to zero importance attributed to place, and sub-zero association with the name to that place. It's not even on the radar.

Coming from that perspective, the name issue almost seems like an imposition of language and culture rather than fairness. It would be more fair to restrict the use of national flags, names, certain misleading words, etc. (Ala what happened in Canada) than try to basically change the common name of a whole class of products as the consumer understands them.

I agree to this. Take the fucking flags and "imported from" stuff off there. No one cares anyway.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Keep in mind that according to the terms of the deal:

I don't think that's fair in any case. The entire purpose of PDOs is to prevent Region B from stealing the good will built up for Region A's product. The EU it trying to use this backwards in their own favor based on the technicality that someone named it after a region in the EU 50 years ago.

Cyan

Banned
Question for people in other states: is Monterey Jack still called that if it's made outside California?

Edit:
Ha, didn't even see this post:
We don't expect Monterey Jack to be from Monterey, Mexico.

But just to note, it originated in Monterey, California, not Monterrey, Mexico.

Angry Grimace

Question for people in other states: is Monterey Jack still called that if it's made outside California?

Bourbon doesn't need to be made in Kentucky and regional names are serious business in liquor.

Edit:
Ha, didn't even see this post:

But just to note, it originated in Monterey, California, not Monterrey, Mexico.

Ah okay. Thanks to this thread I am just now realizing cheeses are mostly named after their city of origin.

Its not always the case though I'm learning. Provolone is an Italian cheese that originated in Casilli near Vesuvius, not Provo, UT

And I believe the Kraft Cheese manufacturing plant is in Illinois and they make Monterey Jack cheese so, yes? Or maybe thats a packaging center....who knows. I actually tried to do more research on Kraft last night and didn't find a whole lot of info.

Toxi

Banned
Well your post shows clearly the damage that american companies have done to the brands of european cheese; through their decades of "popularizing" them by stealing their names and reputation. Clearly all the italian imagery does something for the manufacturers, otherwise why would they plaster it everywhere? Except now you have no culture or concept of what good cheese is and the very idea of eating cheese that is actually edible seems "snobish" to you.
Because the cheap stuff is intended to be bought with pasta, which is also covered in Italian imagery and is treated as a stereotypically Italian food.

Surprisingly enough, it's possible to buy both cheap food and good food depending on the occasion.

I don't think that's fair in any case. The entire purpose of PDOs is to prevent Region B from stealing the good will built up for Region A's product. The EU it trying to use this backwards in their own favor based on the technicality that someone named it after a region in the EU 50 years ago.

Seems a little reductive to say that the original producers haven't built any good will in the US on their own. The EU exports tons of dairy products in the american market, and you could reverse your argument by saying that the reputation of the original, high quality products have driven the sales of the knock-offs as well.

Only one that has an argument is Parmasean.

The rest of them have no affiliation with the country except that their recipe originated there.

verbum

Do Europeans have that cheese in a can you can squirt on crackers or another human? If not, ya'll need to catch up. Or maybe we can restrict it to North America.

easyvit.jpg

Goes good with a ice cold bottle of Boone's Farm.

ymmv

Banned

Shame on you Europe.

The same goes for Gouda. Not a protected term. I don't get the logic behind this.

Hunter S.

Canada did alright as they agreed that only new cheeses made in Canada could keep the name as the cheeses originally produced in Europe. While new chese producers cannot use the name. I say the US should change nothing, but if they do then do no more than Canada did and it is not a big deal.A big point in the article that was not bolded, but there. European officials were apparently satisfied with this.

mokeyjoe

Has the Daily Mail opened a US branch? Endless headlines about EU enforcing regulations on food names and faux shock horror nonsense.

For those wondering about cheddar I think the reason it never became protected is partly because there say little demand for it and partly because it considered too generic. Cheddar made in around cheddar has exclusive rights to be called 'West Country Farmhouse Cheddar'. I assume a similar solution may work in the US for parmesan. Funnily enough Stilton is protected but not by the village of Stilton. It's actually made elsewhere.

Magni

Europe is always super serious about their food names and national pride. The US should fight it. The names are generic to me, if the product and process is the same why is the name special? Its not a brand. Its about preserving European profits and protecting European farmers at the expense of US farmers. I see no need why the US needs to abide by it.

It's not the same though.

Yes, because they can go fuck themselves with this selfish bullshit. Those products are famous and popular here in American due to American advertising and production of said products. We do the leg work and then suddenly its "Oh hey America, thanks for creating a profitable market in your country, but how about these products can only carry the names if they are from Europe?"

It's more the other way around. Using the famous names of European foods to sell cheap substitute products.

americans in this thread don't realize how ridicolous they sound.
It's cheese from 5,000 miles away. Anybody with even a mild interest in eating quality food knows what the real stuff is. It's not really on a lot of peoples lists of important issues. Unless you make a living as cheesemaker in Europe I don't see why you care so much.

Jasup

It's cheese from 5,000 miles away. Anybody with even a mild interest in eating quality food knows what the real stuff is. It's not really on a lot of peoples lists of important issues. Unless you make a living as cheesemaker in Europe I don't see why you care so much.

If it's not an important issue there shouldn't be a problem with the proposition, right?

Scotch

Shame on you Europe.

Same with the Dutch cheeses. The Dutch cheese lobby did a shitty job so "Gouda" or "Edam" are not protected afaik.

I think this protectionism is kinda silly in the first place, but if we're protecting Italian cheeses and French wines, then everything else should be protected as well imo.

If it's not an important issue there shouldn't be a problem with the proposition, right?
I don't really care either way. But it's part of common English language so it's not going away. It's like how peoples grandparents call all video games "Nintendo games" still. It's a losing battle.

Angry Grimace

Seems a little reductive to say that the original producers haven't built any good will in the US on their own. The EU exports tons of dairy products in the american market, and you could reverse your argument by saying that the reputation of the original, high quality products have driven the sales of the knock-offs as well.

Yeah, you CAN reverse the argument but I think that's a significantly less compelling argument because its highly unlikely that Italian-made Parmesan cheese drove the sales of the crap that Kraft produces and marketed (which is what made it popular here).

If they had an issue with this, why didn't they negotiate it in the last 30 years of PDO trade agreements?

Angry Grimace

I can't wait for the Irish to take back the word "Whiskey" so we can start calling Jack Daniels' "Tennessee Barrel-Aged Grain Liquor."

Jasup

I don't really care either way. But it's part of common English language so it's not going away. It's like how peoples grandparents call all video games "Nintendo games" still. It's a losing battle.

Right, that's how it happens. When the name Feta got protected here and all the fetaesque cheeses had to change their names it didn't affect the common language at all, just the branding. It's still the same product, people know it and will call it with the name they're used to.

KHarvey16

I think a lot of people are "mad" about it - I certainly am, and I'm not atypical of the people I know. It might not bother you that that "Kobe" hamburger you just paid $100 for is angus not wagyu, and came from Texas, but there are a lot of people out there who would feel cheated by that. Furthermore, just because you're used to something doesn't mean you should accept it. Deceptive food labelling is a problem in the US, and companies get away with it because of perceive apathy on the part of the public.

Kobe beef is different because it actually does have a perceived meaning here. No one buys parmesan cheese because they think it's fancy and from Italy, I promise you. It's a completely genericized name whereas kobe beef is not.

Angry Grimace

Tell you what Euros, I'll trade you the name "Parmesean," for a written admission that U.S. beer is better than European beer.

Jasup

Kobe beef is different because it actually does have a perceived meaning here. No one buys parmesan cheese because they think it's fancy and from Italy, I promise you. It's a completely genericized name whereas kobe beef is not.

Let's make a deal. We'll let you use the name Parmesan if you agree to lift your ban on Kinder eggs. How's that?

Branduil

Or how Adobe doesn't like people using photoshop as a generic verb.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
lolololol you don't even know how taste a real parmiggiano reggiano and what the us industry sell as parmisan is a cheap cheese with no connection to the parmiggiano and use his name in order to boost their sales, hurting the original prduct value.
Us industry should write " cheap plastic cheese for 'muricans who want quantity over quality and didn't care about what they eat"
This is one of the best posts I've ever seen here.
yep there's so much pig-headedness i can almost taste bacon

Maybe it's you, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom