• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not disagreeing. But what is buggy about iOS 8.0.2? Haven ran into any bugs or crashes yet on my iPhone 6 +

For me I've noticed a ton of Apple apps crashing. I'll wake my 6+ out of sleep, launch messages: Crash. Not every time. Most times it works just fine. But every now and then a default app will crash.

Open camera, record a time lapse video. Press "Stop"...entire phone freezes for about 30 seconds and the camera app crashes.

Etc...

MercuryLS

Banned
So the rumors for iPad Air 2:

- Optically bonded display with anti-reflective coating
- A8X (seems to be confirmed from the parts leak)
- 2gb of ram
- Touch ID
- Split screen multi-tasking(?)
- 3x Retina HD display(?)

That would be a hell of an upgrade but I am weary of the A8X/3x panel after the teething problems that the iPad 3 had. I don't want this thing to run hotter than the Air 1 or have trouble keeping up in the future like the iPad 3 did. If they put in the X-class SOC to (barely) keep up with the possible 3x display, then I'm holding off until they go back to doing non-X SOC's in the iPad again.

Dany

Banned

That would be a hell of an upgrade but I am weary of the A8X/3x panel after the teething problems that the iPad 3 had. I don't want this thing to run hotter than the Air 1 or have trouble keeping up in the future like the iPad 3 did. If they put in the X-class SOC to (barely) keep up with the possible 3x display, then I'm holding off until they go back to doing non-X SOC's in the iPad again.

No indication that either is happening.

Zaph

Really? I thought macbooks were good to last 3-5 years? What's wrong with it if I may ask?

Battery is the main one - the machine has been used almost daily and quite often I've not had the luxury of maintaining the battery properly (not running it down to 0% etc).

The screens in the Air's have never been great (tradeoff for the thinness), but it's gotten really noticeable just how bad it is when you're using iPhone, iPad, Dell IPS screens daily.

128GB storage. Massive mistake at the time, regret it everyday.

But yeah, a lot of that is on me. Under 'normal' use, 3-5 years is a perfectly reasonable expectation.

Using 'It's' in a title annoys me for some reason, specifically when used to abbreviate 'it has'. It doesn't look right at the best of times - putting it in a title just draws my attention to how weird it is. Just me?

Member876

Banned
I'm out of the loop when it comes to Apple products, is there still going to be macbook pro broadwell redesign? If, when?

Ambitious

Thinking about replacing my iPad 3 with an Air 2. It's virtually unusable since updating to iOS 8. Good job, Apple!
What do you think I'll get for an 16GB WiFi iPad 3? Judging from the listings on the national craigslist equivalent, about 200€ seem appropriate.

Battery is the main one - the machine has been used almost every and quite often I've not had the luxury of maintaining the battery properly (not running it down to 0% etc).

The screens in the Air's have never been great (tradeoff for the thinness), but it's gotten really noticeable just how bad it is when you're using iPhone, iPad, Dell IPS screens daily.

128GB storage. Massive mistake at the time, regret it everyday.

But yeah, a lot of that is on me. Under 'normal' use, 3-5 years is a perfectly reasonable expectation.

Yeah, 128GB was a bad chocie xD Unfortunately theres not much you can do about that (or the screen), but the battery can be replace by Apple for $129. It's what I plan to do by the time mine gets a bit long in the tooth.

Give me a new awesome and somewhat okay priced Mac Mini and I am in. I got one of the first gen or two of them and it was amazing! Had it sitting along side my gaming computer.

That and I really wouldn't mind some type of flash ipod classic!

I want Mac Mini upgrades and more ram in all iPads. I don't own an iPad but I do a ton of app development for them at work and I'm so sick of supporting iPad 2s. Anything that further phases them out is good.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Not disagreeing. But what is buggy about iOS 8.0.2? Haven ran into any bugs or crashes yet on my iPhone 6 + I'm sure it is buggy, maybe I just didn't notice. I don't use apps or games as much and mostly just use my devices for safari and using streaming services.

I'm getting data leaks at times I'm sleeping. Like 20,000 kB used at 1:04 AM this morning, according to my stats on AT&T.

I was having problems with Music. Just unresponsive and laggy. Ended up just wiping and restoring. Still getting the unauthorized data usage, though.

Deku Tree

I'm getting data leaks at times I'm sleeping. Like 20,000 kB used at 1:04 AM this morning, according to my stats on AT&T.

I was having problems with Music. Just unresponsive and laggy. Ended up just wiping and restoring. Still getting the unauthorized data usage, though.

Do you have background app refresh turned on?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

- 2gb of ram
- Touch ID

Shit, those three make me want an upgrade from the Air. Just optically bonded would be enough for me to move away from this trampoline of a screen.

3x retina sounds like bullshit though? Why would you need that?

Now do 16/64/128 steps like iPhone 6 so I can get 64GB for the price of my usual 32GB choice..

MercuryLS

Banned

2gb or ram makes me happy. I bet the configs will be 16/64/128 like the iPhone, which would be great as 64gb is the sweet spot for me (and would now be $100 less to get).

16GB storage should really not even be an option on iPads.. I would love a 256GB option.

While I agree that 32gb should be the base, the reason why they do this is to upsell people on the 64gb one (if they do get rid of the 32gb this year) and preserve their margins. Apple is all about preserving their margins and they've been somewhat eroded slightly by the iPad mini in recent times, I think the 16/64/128 configs is a way to push them back up again. For people like my dad, he's perfectly fine with 16gb, so I still think a good number of people that buy this for light usage will be fine with that amount of memory. That said, it would be nice to have a base of 32gb (I just don't see it happening any time soon, the bigger the gap between the base and the next higher tier, the better for them).

Toki767

Sad about no Macbook Air with retina, but I guess I could settle on a new iPad for now. My iPad 3 feels ancient.

BikoBiko

Not sure if you are serious, but if it is missing that sswitch i am definitely less likely to upgrade. I use it all the damn time.
I am serious actually. I use that button way too much, using the control center would just be more hassle.

Deadstar

- 2gb of ram
- Touch ID

Is anyone else feeling less excited after the last iphone reveal? They still kept the 1 gb ram and overall it wasn't a big jump It has a bigger screen and is thinner, that doesn't get me excited.

I have a feeling the new ipad will be underwhelming but I hope I'm wrong.

Toki767

Is anyone else feeling less excited after the last iphone reveal? They still kept the 1 gb ram and overall it wasn't a big jump It has a bigger screen and is thinner, that doesn't get me excited.

I have a feeling the new ipad will be underwhelming but I hope I'm wrong.

To be fair, what could they really add to the iPad to make it feel more exciting?

jts

...hate me...
An 11" iPad with the iPhone 6+'s PPI would be 4K, just saying :p

That's what the @3x could be for.

Deadstar

To be fair, what could they really add to the iPad to make it feel more exciting?

Good point. Personally I really like ipad but I think the biggest problem for me is the ram since the reloading of webpages gets to be annoying. Maybe they can increase the screen resolution?

I agree with you that there isn't much more to add though I also think dramatically increasing the battery life would be great. I'd rather keep the same width of the ipad and have increased battery life than have it thinner with the same or worse battery life.

Zutroy

Are the rumours that the new mini would also have the A8X and 2GB?

Thinking of trading in my Air and getting the new mini instead as I've barely used the Air because it's not really much more convenient than using my MPB.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Terabyte iPad woukd be really fucking badass. I'd buy one in a pn eyeblink.

It's been way too long since Apple unveiled specs that make people go 'whaaaaat?!'

MercuryLS

Banned
Good point. Personally I really like ipad but I think the biggest problem for me is the ram since the reloading of webpages gets to be annoying. Maybe they can increase the screen resolution?

I agree with you that there isn't much more to add though I also think dramatically increasing the battery life would be great. I'd rather keep the same width of the ipad and have increased battery life than have it thinner with the same or worse battery life.

I don't agree with that, 10 hours is plenty honestly and I still feel that the 1lbs weight is still too high for the full sized iPad. I don't know how they can do it, but I hope they get it down closer to the iPad mini weight one day. I want to be able to use a full sized iPad for hours while holding it up and not having my arm get tired.

AndTAR

So with the latest, freshest part leak showing a separate RAM module (and not a package-on-package, sitting on the A8X itself), I guess the "X" does indeed denote a GPU upgrade of some kind. Quite the graphics power upgrade then, going from the "vanilla" A7 - I always thought of the iPad Air as sortof underpowered (both due to the RAM and re-using the iPhone GPU) so a pleasant jump "back on track" I guess.

MercuryLS

Banned
The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the new Air will have a 3x retina display and/or a multitasking OS. There would be absolutely no reason to put in a A8X/2gb ram into the iPad Air 2 otherwise. The Air was fine with the A7 and would be fine with the A8. The increased GPU and Ram over the Air 1 points towards those enhancements IMO.

Mr Swine

Banned
I would love if Apple added multitasking for twitch/YouTube while surfing on safari.mi think that would be fantastic when watching conferences and writing on GAF :p

Deadstar

I just want something that is fast and snappy. Any time they upgrade the cpu they add more features which brings the speed back to where it was. It'd be great if everything from opening apps to giving siri voice commands would be lighting fast. Oh and apple will not do it but dump the 16 gb, what a joke. New tiers should be 32 gb minimum then 64 and 128 gb and 256 gb.

MicH

Really? I thought macbooks were good to last 3-5 years? What's wrong with it if I may ask?
For what it's worth, my 2010 15" Macbook Pro is still running perfectly. Can't see myself upgrading until 2016 at the earliest, unless something bad goes down

jelly

Hard to imagine multitasking not being there in the first place. For all the deserved flak Surface RT gets, it was way ahead long ago in many respects. Shame Microsoft botched some of it and that crap app store.

Apple can make the iPad thinner and do incremental upgrades but think software needs more looking at now for the special sauce. Not much separating the hardware nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom