• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope Apple won't abandon us poor ipod touch users. Ideally the 6th gen would have the 4.7 inch screen, A7, 1GB RAM, and come in 32/64GB storage options.

I'm holding out on buying a new ipod for this. The home button broke somehow so I'm using the software home button. It's not a huge pita but it is annoying. I don't *need* to upgrade, but it'd be nice

PSYGN

gimped again? I thought the current mini is literally a small air?

It is a smaller iPad with internals that aren't as powerful, but are good enough for the size. I like the iPad Air's size more. I guess I'm weird in that I'd even go for a bigger iPad at 12".

Jaxx

Banned
gimped again? I thought the current mini is literally a small air?

The current mini with retina is essentially a small Air, yes. It has a worse screen though and the processor isn't clocked as high but it's still a great little device, and it doesn't have the Safari reload problems that the Air is plagued with. I love mine. They'd need to bump it to 2 gigs of Ram, Touch ID, and improve the screen to get me to buy the next one.

I'm holding out on buying a new ipod for this. The home button broke somehow so I'm using the software home button. It's not a huge pita but it is annoying. I don't *need* to upgrade, but it'd be nice

Drop the 16 on the touch (you have the nano's for that)and have 32/64/128 options instead. The 128 would go someway to compensate for killing the classic the other month. If only...

screenshot-2014-10-15-13-03-31.png

ipad mini 3, ipad air 2 with touch id confirmed

I just recently got a Mac and while I really want Yosemite, I'm scared it'll break some of my software. What's the likelihood of this? I always hear about it, especially with Mavericks.

jstripes

Banned
I just recently got a Mac and while I really want Yosemite, I'm scared it'll break some of my software. What's the likelihood of this? I always hear about it, especially with Mavericks.

Yosemite didn't really change much under the hood. If it runs on Mavericks, it'll probably run on Yosemite.

AndTAR

So the mechanical side switch lived through the rumors. Relieving, a little bit of tactility doesn't hurt. Pretty heavy user of it myself (for screen lock.)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I originally installed the Yosemite beta on a separate partition and used it sparingly. Just wanted to see what it was like.

The other day, I went back to it, updated to Beta 2, and have been using it exclusively on my 15" Retina MBP. I can't get over how absolutely beautiful it is - it's a strikingly gorgeous operating system.

It bursts with color, the transparencies are beautifully done, the choice of fonts are just right. Everything is clean, and flat(er) without being ridiculous. It complements iOS7/8 so well, and yet it doesn't copy it completely.

I'm not a Windows 8 hater at all - I actually like the Metro Interface on tablets - I think it runs wonderfully on something like a Surface Pro 3. But on a desktop or a more "normal" laptop, it just misses the mark.

10.10 just *feels* perfect on my MacBook. It's just right... fast and zippy.

The only thing that I don't love is that there is this feel that Apple is really trying to hide the folder structure. I've noticed this more and more with each OS X release, and I don't like it. I get why they do it - but as a power user, I feel really inhibited sometimes when I have to click a couple extra buttons just to dig through folders.

Can't wait to try Hand-off/continuity/whatever it's called.

Fuchsdh

Hope Apple won't abandon us poor ipod touch users. Ideally the 6th gen would have the 4.7 inch screen, A7, 1GB RAM, and come in 32/64GB storage options.

I don't see why they'd make a larger iPod, especially since the touch currently serves as the stripped-down iPhone. It'll be a 4" as long as they're making new 4" phones.

rezuth

I don't see why they'd make a larger iPod, especially since the touch currently serves as the stripped-down iPhone. It'll be a 4" as long as they're making new 4" phones.

Easier for developers, I'll expect an update to 4.7" in the near future.

I'm starting to agree with the pundits saying that Apple needs to change up the App Store's structure if they want the iPad to keep going strong. They need to actually allow free trials and paid upgrades in order to make premium apps truly viable (and while they're at it they need to restructure the App Store so it's less chart-based and does less to incentivize free-to-pay/microtransaction-based app monetization models).

Fuchsdh

Easier for developers, I'll expect an update to 4.7" in the near future.

iPod touches are an ever-decreasing percentage of iOS devices. I don't think many devs are concerned about it. Apple sells less iPods than Macs at this point, and sells ten times as many iPhones.

ReAxion

Apple has been pushing devs to prepare for app scaling since at least WWDC. There's no telling what's going on now. The place to look for hints is in yields on hardware.

AndTAR

So I guess the remaining iPad mysteries are: 1) iPad Mini limitations, if any, 2) more exact GPU choice of A8X. (The six-core Imagination GPU, or some other solution?)

On the Mac front, it'll be interesting to see if there's actually a design overhaul, or "just" the specs and display. I'm actually not a fan of this "chin" myself - with extra hardware-housing material protuding underneath the screen - I understand the charm but would prefer the pure minimalist profile of the Cinema Display. (I guess it's headed there no matter what, though.)

ZeroX03

Banned
This is in just over six hours? Yikes, I might try and take a power nap but I think I'm definitely missing this one.

PaulLFC

I had to laugh when I read that the stream apparently only works on Safari on a Mac or iPhone - really Apple? These days where most things on the web, especially involving video, are moving towards as much cross-browser and cross-device compatibility as possible. Seems like Apple didn't get the memo.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I had to laugh when I read that the stream apparently only works on Safari on a Mac or iPhone - really Apple? These days where most things on the web, especially involving video, are moving towards as much cross-browser and cross-device compatibility as possible. Seems like Apple didn't get the memo.

The exact same thing happened with their last live stream. It didn't stop it being the biggest event they've ever done. Apple don't care whether it's inconvenient for you.

numble

They have server load issues just meeting the demand of Safari users.

jts

...hate me...
"It's been too long... that's what she said!"

I would pay good money to see this being the opening line to the keynote.

PaulLFC

The exact same thing happened with their last live stream. It didn't stop it being the biggest event they've ever done. Apple don't care whether it's inconvenient for you.
Where did I say they did? It's still ridiculous, it's a video stream not a proprietary application. It's not 'inconvenient' so much as 'not accessible', and there is no good reason for that restriction to exist on a technical level.

They have server load issues just meeting the demand of Safari users.
In that case it looks like they need to better prepare for demand.

Juice

Their events are primarily for their most dedicated users. And no dedicated Apple customer doesn't have a device that can play these streams.

AndTAR

So I would guess calculations like these are rather useless in practice, but neverheless, taking the alleged GFLOP number of the A8, 172.8 and multiplying this with a 1.5 core count increase (if the GPU is actually upgraded from the the quad-core GX6450, to this apparent closest candidate, six-core GX6650) would then yield a 259.2 GFLOP number for the A8X GPU here.

Still quite a bit below Tegra K1 (364.8 GFLOPS - though again, I would guess there are other differences to account for?), but it looks like this would push it past the point of having exceeded the old Xenos (240 GFLOPS), for whatever that might be worth.

Putting aside how useful (useless?) this GFLOP counting would actually be in practice, I guess it would still be a far cry from "console-level visuals" if the output of mobile 3D graphics typically favors resolution over scene complexity (and ever-increasing, I guess, with 3x Retina on the way.)

jts

...hate me...
Their events are primarily for their most dedicated users. And no dedicated Apple customer doesn't have a device that can play these streams.
But why should it be that way, Juice? Most everyone was not a fan of Apple yet at a point. I started off with an iPod but then got really in love with the company by binge watching Stevenotes on Youtube.

Shouldn't be a privilege to a watch a keynote live, when the main point of it is to sell products, so it should reach the broader number of people possible. I think it's nonsensical, business-wise.

Foshy

I heard a rumor about an iPad Pro with Mac OS some time ago, is that just bullshit or are there some hints that it could actually happen?

numble

But why should it be that way, Juice? Most everyone was not a fan of Apple yet at a point. I started off with an iPod but then got really in love with the company by binge watching Stevenotes on Youtube.

Shouldn't be a privilege to a watch a keynote live, when the main point of it is to sell products, so it should reach the broader number of people possible. I think it's nonsensical, business-wise.
It is available for all browsers after the stream, and it still has the same marketing effect.

The people that watch the streams live are fans of tech nerds. It costs too much to provide the server capacity to serve a 1-2 hour event that likely won't sway any purchases compared to a recorded video available right after the event.

I think it adds to the idea of exclusivity with Apple products. They don't want non-Apple people viewing the streams, but of course, anyone with Windows and VLC can find a way in if they want to, so the barrier is artificial.

I'm pretty eager to see the Retina iMac, but I'm not expecting too many surprises.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ahhhh I still can't get to sleep.

And I'm still worried about what gpu is gonna be in the new iMac.

Come on Apple, give me a reason to pick up a 21" iMac.

Rumors have the retina upgrade being for the 27 only atm with the 21 staying at 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom