• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercuryLS

Banned
Hard to imagine multitasking not being there in the first place. For all the deserved flak Surface RT gets, it was way ahead long ago in many respects. Shame Microsoft botched some of it and that crap app store.

Apple can make the iPad thinner and do incremental upgrades but think software needs more looking at now for the special sauce. Not much separating the hardware nowadays.

Yeah I agree, I think Apple's holdup with split screen is getting the UI/tools for 3rd party devs right. Split screen has to be done right so it's easy to do and it's easy to code the apps to do the right thing when you engage in that mode. I agree that the incremental hardware upgrades are not cutting it anymore, while it's nice to see a SOC/Ram bump, the software needs to become more powerful. For me the biggest limitations have been the app/tab refreshes (partly due to ram) and the lack of split screen multitasking. I need to have the ability to load up lots of tabs without worrying about reloading and I also need to be able to have apps running side by side. If they can pull that off then I may just start using an iPad over my Mac for most things. Until then, iPads are just too limited for me.

Hope Apple won't abandon us poor ipod touch users. Ideally the 6th gen would have the 4.7 inch screen, A7, 1GB RAM, and come in 32/64GB storage options.

Splitscreen multitasking is going to be very easy to implement using their new sizing methodology introduced in iOS 8 for the iPhone 6. Want to go split screen? Just switch to the Compact view for the app. Your constraints that you've built in when you optimized the app for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus will automatically make the app appear correctly in the split screen mode.

For what it's worth, my 2010 15" Macbook Pro is still running perfectly. Can't see myself upgrading until 2016 at the earliest, unless something bad goes down

Same here.

My 2012 MBA also runs perfectly.

For my part I've never had an Apple computer last me for less than five years; this includes 8 devices belonging to my family. I'm sure they've all lasted more, but I've sold some of them so I can't say for sure. The ones I've kept have lasted me longer.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I find it fascinating that the next iPad Mini Retina 2 doesn't have any confirmation of an A8x and 2 Gigs of RAM. While there have been rumors of Laminated Display and Touch ID.

This leads me to believe that they will split the iPad Air 2 and the iPad Mini Retina 2 again. The iPad Air 2 will have Touch ID, Laminated Display, Mutitasking, 2 Gigs of RAM and an A8x processor, while the Mini Retina 2 will have Touch ID, Retina Display, no Mutitasking, 1 gig of RAM, and an A8 processor,

Who knows, we will find out very quickly on Thursday.

Servbot24

Banned
For my part I've never had an Apple computer last me for less than five years; this includes 8 devices belonging to my family. I'm sure they've all lasted more, but I've sold some of them so I can't say for sure. The ones I've kept have lasted me longer.

my 09 iMac still runs great, although I did have to install an SSD to it after the HD failed. I think the upgrade will be worth it next year though.

LordOfChaos

Yep, I was expecting that 12" Retina Air rumor to die ahead of this conference. My bet is they have to wait for Broadwell U series parts, which aren't due till q1 2015. The 5 watt Core M parts aren't in the same class as the 17W ones in the Airs.

MercuryLS

Banned
Yep, I was expecting that 12" Retina Air rumor to die ahead of this conference. My bet is they have to wait for Broadwell U series parts, which aren't due till q1 2015. The 5 watt Core M parts aren't in the same class as the 17W ones in the Airs.

Is broardwell strong enough to drive the retina display on the new Airs without lagging? That's my only concern.

toohectic

I'm still using my mid-2007 20" iMac (first aluminum model) as my primary machine with no problem. I've added an SSD and I'm confident it will continue to work great with Yosemite. Despite that, I plan to get a new 27" model once the new models are released. Can't wait for Thursday.

Given that the keynote is on Thursday, I wonder when the new hardware will be available in store. How long after the keynote was the iPad Air available? Same day? End of week? I'm looking to get both a new iPad and a new iMac.

I'm still using my mid-2007 20" iMac (first aluminum model) as my primary machine with no problem. I've added an SSD and I'm confident it will continue to work great with Yosemite. Despite that, I plan to get a new 27" model once the new models are released. Can't wait for Thursday.

Given that the keynote is on Thursday, I wonder when the new hardware will be available in store. How long after the keynote was the iPad Air available? Same day? End of week? I'm looking to get both a new iPad and a new iMac.

Air was available the Friday after the announcement, so that would be Oct 24th.

the new MacBooks last year were available the same day they were announced.

Is broardwell strong enough to drive the retina display on the new Airs without lagging? That's my only concern.

A 20-40% let's say increase in performance, plus a comparatively huge portion of the lineup is going to have the L4 cache of Haswell's Iris Pro graphics, for what that's worth.

JayDub

Really? I thought macbooks were good to last 3-5 years? What's wrong with it if I may ask?

Still on my 2008 MBP. Unlike other users, I did not upgrade the HDD to an SSD to improve speeds. This thing is bone stock, I've had to replace the battery 2 years ago ($120, user replaceable, last model to have that) and with Mavericks, runs just as smooth as the day I got it. Its amazing. Best part, it still feels (keyboard, trackpad) and look as new as the day I got it. I do clean it once every week.

Holy crap, just realized that its been coming on 7 years.

EDIT: Holy crap, I've had it since the 1st gen iPhone.

Shearie

I'm nervous that we haven't heard anything about the new iPad minis. Please don't be a significantly gimped version of the Air...

Have had a MBPr for almost 1.5years. Looks as good as day 1 and I travel with it everywhere I go.

My next upgrade will be with broadwell and no dgpu and hopefully a lot lighter.

So jealous of my wife's Air For the weight.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
touch ID is probably the best apple thing they've put out in years. it's very very handy.

MercuryLS

Banned
Have had a MBPr for almost 1.5years. Looks as good as day 1 and I travel with it everywhere I go.

I went from an 11" Air (which broke) to a 13" rMBP, while I love this laptop I want something thin and super light again. I just wasn't able to give up the retina display once I saw it. I'm so damn excited for the 12" rMBA, it's a damn shame that it's a mid 2015 product. I want to sell this thing and upgrade while I can still get high resale value..

123rl

My 2011 Macbook Pro has just come up with a battery warning. I've restarted it and it hasn't happened again, although it's now saying 91% battery will only give me 1:25. For comparison I was easily getting 4+ hours previously.

I won't use it as a cheap excuse to upgrade. I won't use it as a cheap excuse to upgrade. I won't use it as a cheap excuse to upgrade. I won't use it as a cheap excuse to upgrade. I won't use it as a cheap excuse to upgrade. I won't use it as a cheap excuse to upgrade. I won't use it as a cheap excuse to upgrade. I won't use it as a cheap excuse to upgrade. I won't use it as a cheap excuse to upgrade. I won't use it as a cheap excuse to upgrade.

Pagusas

Elden Member
My 2011 Macbook Pro has just come up with a battery warning. I've restarted it and it hasn't happened again, although it's now saying 91% battery will only give me 1:25. For comparison I was easily getting 4+ hours previously.

I won't use it as a cheap excuse to upgrade. I won't use it as a cheap excuse to upgrade. I won't use it as a cheap excuse to upgrade. I won't use it as a cheap excuse to upgrade. I won't use it as a cheap excuse to upgrade. I won't use it as a cheap excuse to upgrade. I won't use it as a cheap excuse to upgrade. I won't use it as a cheap excuse to upgrade. I won't use it as a cheap excuse to upgrade. I won't use it as a cheap excuse to upgrade.

I think you should upgrade, battery warnings are like warnings, shouldn't be ignored.

RdN

I want a Mac Mini. I've been waiting for an update for more than a year now.. Hopefully Apple will deliver.

Jimrpg

Yep my MBPr is over 2 years old! I got one of the first 15" ones. Its easily the best computer I ever got. When I first got it, I was happy that it played most games reasonably well, but now its getting on a bit with games. I didn't buy it for games, but happy that it did ok.

My next purchase will be a gaming PC and a MacBook air retina for on the go (and no ipad), I like the 15" screen because it feels just right compared to my old 13" which is really cramped. But the weight is too much for travelling with it every day especially when I carry around the power adapter as well.

Wished they announced the MacBook Air Retina this year but looks like that's not going to be the case,

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Eh, the current color of the MBP is practically space grey of the iPhone 6 already. I want a slate gray from iPhone 5 without the chipping.
This. Space Grey is so boring. soboring.jpg

The 5 was so beautiful. We've had this discussion before. The metallic blue tint that some people never noticed on it was so great. I wish by the time I replace my current rPro in about 2-3 years they will have switched to anodized black/colored laptops and machines. We've been exclusively silver for a while now ever since they dropped the white MacBooks.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So if it is the new OS X and it doesn't support my model would it be best to download Mavericks now or will it still be available to download off the App Store post Yosemite's release?

mrkgoo

This. Space Grey is so boring. soboring.jpg

The 5 was so beautiful. We've had this discussion before. The metallic blue tint that some people never noticed on it was so great. I wish by the time I replace my current rPro in about 2-3 years they will have switched to anodized black/colored laptops and machines. We've been exclusively silver for a while now ever since they dropped the white MacBooks.

Still don't think it looks blue.

giga

So if it is the new OS X and it doesn't support my model would it be best to download Mavericks now or will it still be available to download off the App Store post Yosemite's release?
Mavericks and Yosemite have the same system requirements.

Still rocking my 2010 old, bent, broken, crashing, low battery iPad OG

Will finally update this time, and bury the old fella in a deep dark drawer

Member876

Banned

I have Ipad2 and with the latest update it has gotten painfully slow. Not to mention switching between Safari tabs is impossible without tab refresh. So annoying! Might go with MBP instead of table this time around.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I've never bought a tablet or an Apple device since like the days of the OG iPods. When do these things go up for preorder? The second the event ends? And when does it actually release?

Definitely looking to get a new Air on day 1.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

wow.

But don't ditch it - you could mount it with a powered dock and use it as a wireless photo frame that you can send pics to, or some kind of day planner or whatever. It is probably worth so little that you can afford to experiment with it.

I bought an iPad Air last year and now I use my OG at the gym. I've downloaded VLC and loaded it with some HIIT exercise videos. I think it's a good use for it.

I've never bought a tablet or an Apple device since like the days of the OG iPods. When do these things go up for preorder? The second the event ends? And when does it actually release?

Definitely looking to get a new Air on day 1.

probably up for preorder this week, out on October 24th.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mavericks and Yosemite have the same system requirements.
Oh cool. Basically need to clear out a lot of junk on my hard drive and archive stuff before I reformat it. It has hit the point that apps no long work for 10.6 so I may as well move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom