• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ape

Banned
DSC_0683.jpg
This picture creeps me out

Mortemis

Banned
So the iPad mini didn't get a big update like the air 2? Damn.

Thinking about the nexus 9, but shit if last year's retina mini is $300 and still good I might as well go for that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Laminated display and less reflective is enough for me. Is the air 2 rumoured to be 2GB? And any specs on weight vs the Air? Thinner should mean lighter I suppose.

Keeping the air at $399 is going to kill my resale value on my air, should have sold it last week. Is it 16Gb only?

I can imagine a lot of people buying an iMac as a display for their Mac Pro's. Can you use it as a display for any other devices? Like the Mac Mini or even a Windows PC?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't get the iPad Mini 3, isn't the only difference the touch ID? They're still selling the iPad mini retina for $300. Why would you pay $100 for Touch ID?

iPad Air 3 looks pretty great, hopefully 2gb of ram is confirmed. I still wish for split screen multitasking :(

Has the A8X no?

Fuchsdh

That's what I'm wondering. No Nvidia/AMD cards support DisplayPort 1.3.

It doesn't need Displayport, it's an internal display.

Now the question of if you would have to dual-link like OG 30inch DVI to have another computer drive a display this size is an open one.

As someone who used an Android phone for a while this year and found Google Now to be completely useless outside of the "how long will it take me to get to work/home" aspect, how does it help you in your every day life? Not trying to challenge you or anything, but genuinely curious.

I would take a picture of it but that's to personal. For one, I don't need billing apps because it tells me what bills need to be paid. It keeps me updated on sports and weather. It gives me location based information.. Like if I'm hungry, alerts as well if I have any. If any news that I'm interested has been updated.

I don't know if maybe you do nothing on your phone and that's why it does nothing for you, but it has done a lot for me. And continues to get better.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I feel bad for people who wanted a new iPad Mini. It looks like the 3 still has an A7 chip.

Wow... that sucks. Is it really just Touch ID that got upgraded?

I see no place in my life for an iPad, but if I were to get one, I'd definitely want the Mini. Last year they had near spec parity which made it super attractive.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh. I see what they did. The $500 mini is basically the $1100 iMac. 1.4GHz on the baseline and for $200 more you get 2.6GHz and much better graphics. I'm onto your game, Apple. I see what you did there.

Bummer there is no Apple TV refresh. I am getting fed up with the Samsung Smart apps built in to my TV and as long as I can run plex on an apple tv, I am fine getting that since I could at least mirror my wife's laptop to it.

mid83

Always interesting to see the iOS vs. Android discussions whenever Apple has a new product launch.

For me, I'm sticking with iOS as long as app support remains as strong as it is. Once app support on iOS starts to lose out to Android, then I'll switch.

MercuryLS

Banned
The iPad mini 3 doesn't have the A8 or the new camera sensor?

Doesn't seem like it, the only difference I saw on their slide was Touch ID. I don't get it, it seems like a ripoff at $400 when the iPad Mini Retina is $300 minus Touch ID. They should have bumped it to A8 at least. I'm interested in the Air 2 if the ram is confirmed to be 2gb.

Ty4on

Wow.

Ryan Smith (Anandtech):
R9 M290X is Pitcairn. Comparable to Radeon HD 7870

I Have a 7870, decent GPU, but it was mid range in 2012. Same chip as the R9 270X which is today less than 200$.

Shame they didn't go for Maxwell which would have been a perfect fit to drive many pixels while using little power, but I guess they for whatever reason need to use AMD in Macs.

It says that that's what the market price is for a 4K 27". So are they lying?

Because I was pointing out that is what you can buy it now at? It's possible that sale could be up there forever until the price drops because new and better stuff will be out by then. Okay, if I bought it right now, would I be paying $2500? No, I wouldn't. And no, they aren't lying.

Jomjom

Banned
Hmm did they say if the ipad mini 3 and/or ipad air 2 have 1gb or 2gb ram?

If it's just an A8 and touchID upgrade I don't feel a need to upgrade from my iPad Mini 2.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I would take a picture of it but that's to personal. For one, I don't need billing apps because it tells me what bills need to be paid. It keeps me updated on sports and weather. It gives me location based information.. Like if I'm hungry, alerts as well if I have any. If any news that I'm interested has been updated.

I don't know if maybe you do nothing on your phone and that's why it does nothing for you, but it has done a lot for me. And continues to get better.

Interesting. Living in Seattle, I have zero use for constant weather updates. If I want a forecast, I'll just jump into notifications and tap the weather icon. I don't pay attention to sports, either, so that's out.

The other stuff never really popped up for me. I got a lot of useless information that apparently they put out based on my emails, like other people's flight information, etc. It's nice that you can tell the app you don't care about that kind of information, though.

ReAxion

Always interesting to see the iOS vs. Android discussions whenever Apple has a new product launch.

For me, I'm sticking with iOS as long as app support remains as strong as it is. Once app support on iOS starts to lose out to Android, then I'll switch.
----
Apple has half the users that Android has but pays out twice as much to developers.

A sobering thought: in order for Google to match Apple’s iOS revenue with Android, they would need 3.6 billion Android users. ~ Ari Najarian (@stickbyatlas) 6/27/14

It's not going to start losing out any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom