• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxx

Banned
iPad Air isn't going to be close to selling out, why are people worried about pre ordering?

Exactly. Plenty of time to wait for early reviews and to find out if it has a bump in ram. If I get one, I'll just wait for the non-Amazon sellers to start selling them on Amazon so that I don't have to pay tax.

Fuchsdh

Looking at the prices the 5K imac looks like a good deal compared to the non retina iMacs....

Well, they didn't get updated. I imagine next year they'll just cut the number of SKUs and prices on the non-retina models as the riMac goes down in price, like they've done with the old Macbook Pro (which they finally got rid of, apparently--was it just with this Store update?)

Posted this in the other thread

"Just realized Apple doesn't sell the 2nd Gen iPad Mini in 64 or 128 GB

Should I jump on the refurb now? I'm not sure how Apple refurb works, are they just clearing out old stock? Will I miss my chance in the future for these?"

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm only seeing Smart Cases, at least that's what I saw last night following the announcement.

same here. Looks like plastic smart covers, and leather smart cases. Although they do have the product red in plastic - I think that was only leather with the air

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Posted this in the other thread

"Just realized Apple doesn't sell the 2nd Gen iPad Mini in 64 or 128 GB

Should I jump on the refurb now? I'm not sure how Apple refurb works, are they just clearing out old stock? Will I miss my chance in the future for these?"

yes it'll be clearing out stuff. It is also returns so some more might come in, but pretty soon it'll only be whatever they sell in the store. So if you want a 64/128GB and they don't sell those new anymore, refurb will be your only option

God these iPad revisions keep getting less and less substantial

Seems like the iPhone is always the one to clear new paths for the brand if anything, then the iPad follows suit. I have an iPad 3 that I barely use, so I can't see myself wanting an upgrade. The gold Air looks pretty though.

God these iPad revisions keep getting less and less substantial

Seems like the iPhone is always the one to clear new paths for the brand if anything, then the iPad follows suit. I have an iPad 3 that I barely use, so I can't see myself wanting an upgrade. The gold Air looks pretty though.

I barely used the iPad 3 as well...then I got the Air...

Exactly. Plenty of time to wait for early reviews and to find out if it has a bump in ram. If I get one, I'll just wait for the non-Amazon sellers to start selling them on Amazon so that I don't have to pay tax.

Exactly what everyone needs to wait for before putting a penny towards this thing

So there's no news on if there's 2 GBs of RAM?

TouchID and the gold version is awesome, but the 2 GBs is what would make me drop my Air. If it's not there, I probably won't get it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Someone posted a mint iPad Air for $350 CDN locally. Warranty still good til August 2015. Damn good deal, considering I can sell my 4th gen for almost as much.

BrettWeir

So the Apple store is down, probably for pre-order, etc. How long is the shop page typically down for when they do this?

Wanting to get last years iPad Mini. No reason to get the new one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So the Apple store is down, probably for pre-order, etc. How long is the shop page typically down for when they do this?

Wanting to get last years iPad Mini. No reason to get the new one.

well so far it has been down for 3.5 hours. Seems longer than usual to me

Fliesen

All displays are not created equal. The expensive Dell, Sharp, pro monitors are coming down fast, but they're still thousands of dollars.

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/uscorp1/secure/2014-09-04-dell-commercial-portfolio-launch

"Dell also previewed the groundbreaking Dell UltraSharp 27 Ultra HD 5K Monitor, the world’s first display with Ultra HD 5K resolution (5120 x 2880). "

"The Dell UltraSharp 27 Ultra HD 5K Monitor is USD $2,499.99 and will be available in the fourth quarter of this year."

Dell's compareable 27" 5K Monitor alone will cost 2,499.99 and that doesn't even include the ... you know ... built in mac computer.

that thing's seriously aggressively priced.

Should I just buy an Airport Extreme? I was waiting to see if they will refresh the models.. but I guess that isn't happening in the next 4 months?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
iPad Air 2 128GB wifi ordered!

Same. Now that Verizon has free tethering it's really nice to not have to worry about getting a cell model. I went with the black b/c I think white will be distracting (only ever had black iPad). Also got the new smart case to see how I like it. I kind of hate cases though so will probably only use that for travel.

AngryMoth

Orderd a 64gb air 2.

By the way I haven't noticed this before but they don't do any checks to make sure you are a student if you use the -edu store so no reason not to use it get a small discount

Same. Now that Verizon has free tethering it's really nice to not have to worry about getting a cell model. I went with the black b/c I think white will be distracting (only ever had black iPad). Also got the new smart case to see how I like it. I kind of hate cases though so will probably only use that for travel.

I agree about the tethering. I got an Air LTE model and honestly used the LTE maybe 2 or 3 times in a year. Not worth the premium when I can just tether to my phone. I am a sucker for premium models, but I had to be honest with myself and save the $130 surcharge.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
silver 64GB air 2 ordered with product red Smart Cover. Just need to sell my bloody air 1 now. Really should have done that a couple of weeks ago before Apple dropped the prices..

shoplifter

Fuck it, I canceled the 64GB and went with a 128GB. Same price I paid for a 64GB three years ago and there were times that I nearly filled it with the amount of PDFs I had on it.

Psykoboy2

Orderd a 64gb air 2.

By the way I haven't noticed this before but they don't do any checks to make sure you are a student if you use the -edu store so no reason not to use it get a small discount

Not seeing any kind of discount, myself. But...I could (and probably am) be doing it wrong.

Hatty

silver 64GB air 2 ordered. Just need to sell my bloody air 1 now. Really should have done that a couple of weeks ago before Apple dropped the prices..

If you need a place to sell it I recommend swappa
thats where I sold my Air a week ago

epmode

128 GB wifi incoming. Cellular was a waste of money on my iPad 3, not to mention that you have to worry about Verizon permanently screwing up you SIM if you leave your account closed for >6 months. I'll just use my phone for cellular data.

ZeroX03

Banned
Orderd a 64gb air 2.

They do have checks in some countries. But in most it's just a free discount.

Juice

So there's no news on if there's 2 GBs of RAM?

TouchID and the gold version is awesome, but the 2 GBs is what would make me drop my Air. If it's not there, I probably won't get it.

We won't know for sure until after release but all leaks point to 2GB. I am sure it will have it

Certinty

Gold iPad Air 2 16GB ordered.

No way am I paying £80 more for more storage, won't be used for music or games so hopefully the 16GB is enough.

Space Grey 64gb wifi Air 2 to go with my Space Grey 64gb 6... Not very adventurous at all.

Wish I hadn't stayed up last night as I'm dead tired at work today, but definitely excited. After giving away my original IPad to my grandpa and the 3 to the parents, I've been without one for over a year and definitely miss it.

Can't wait to play some Hearthstone on the couch while watching the World Series next week, it's gonna be sweet!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gold iPad Air 2 16GB ordered.

No way am I paying £80 more for more storage, won't be used for music or games so hopefully the 16GB is enough.

Be careful man. Apps really fill up that space if you play any games at all. You'll be limited to only a handful.

I just ordered a 64 gb Air 2 and I plan on selling my 64 gb Air. Thought about going 128, but haven't really come close to filling my current 64 gb Air. Ordered from Best Buy for store pick up which they say should be next Thursday. I wasn't really sure if I wanted to upgrade, but figured I'd lock in an order and I can just cancel it if I don't want it.

DOWN

Banned
Oh wow. What is the actual release date on iPad Air 2? It says it ships in 2-4 days. EDIT: Only if you engrave?! It's 4-6 days if you skip the engraving... wut

Glad i bought a maxed out "affordable" iMac this year. I was guessing the retina was on its way but i don't need it.
Looks great ofcourse.

I guess al i'm waiting for now is a iPhone 6s.

Oh wow. What is the actual release date on iPad Air 2? It says it ships in 2-4 days. EDIT: Only if you engrave?! It's 4-6 days if you skip the engraving... wut

I preordered mine for in store pick from Best Buy and they said it would be available next Thursday the 23rd. So I'd imagine the actual release day is then.

Kabouter

Went with a 64GB WiFi Air 2, was a bit too worried 16GB would fill up too quickly even if I don't put a ton of video or whatever on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom