• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Comet

Interesting. My smart case that I ordered with my Air 2 this morning shipped today from my hometown. That must mean they've already got these things distributed around the country. I wonder if the same goes for the iPad itself. Hopefully it'll arrive sooner rather than later.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
they dont. you still have your limited shitty data plan, and they charge for tehtering

I'm pretty sure it comes with the More Everything plan now (sucks for other reasons to have data caps of course, but at least tethering is free). I do it with my HTC One all the time and never had to sign up for it nor do I pay for it like you used to have to do (and I believe Unlimited still has to do? although latter days of Unlimited I don't even think they let you pay for it, you literally had to get a new plan to have any access to it).

Instead of spending $800 for a Mac mini, I went all the way to $1400 for an iMac just to be able to replace the RAM and HDD.

Hooray?

I guess so. :-/ I could understand soldering on extreme fit devices like MacBooks, but the Mini was never that bad off. I bought one last year and refurbed it with an SSD and 4x the RAM. It's a shame the new ones are going to be locked boxes.

Juice

I guess so. :-/ I could understand soldering on extreme fit devices like MacBooks, but the Mini was never that bad off. I bought one last year and refurbed it with an SSD and 4x the RAM. It's a shame the new ones are going to be locked boxes.

I have to imagine the form factor has changed? If it's soldered then there are zero user accessible parts which means there is no reason for the huge plastic cap on the bottom

Juice

Thank you, brave early adopter. I look forward to first-hand impressions from people who are diving right in.

the price point is just too high to be on the front lines of a generation-1 user. If you really need it, it won't be stable enough. If you don't really need it, it's not worth the risk.

alatif113

Fuck Apple and their false advertising. iWorks is NOT free for older macs. The trick of installing the trial and updating it no longer works either.

toohectic

the price point is just too high to be on the front lines of a generation-1 user. If you really need it, it won't be stable enough. If you don't really need it, it's not worth the risk.

It's $300 more than an equivalently configured non-retina 27" iMac. Seems like a great deal for a 5K display upgrade.

DOWN

Banned
I think next year I might sell my MacBook Pro (early 2011, configured w/ hi res 1050p screen, 8GB RAM, i7) and put it toward an iMac so long as I get the iPad Air 2 this year.

I really just think all my needs and comforts would be better met with iMac + iPad. I have basically never needed full OS X functionality on the go and don't particularly like the size of a MacBook to move around anyway. Maybe years from now I'll jump back in on a Retina MacBook Pro or the inevitable Retina MacBook Air.

Fuck Apple and their false advertising. iWorks is NOT free for older macs. The trick of installing the trial and updating it no longer works either.

Yeah, I'm wondering if he skipped a line by mistake because they normally say the caveat that it is free for all new devices when they've said this for iOS.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah. It's fine. The only drawback is I won't be able to just pop it under my TV when I get a new one, but then again I'll just buy a $100 STB and stream my media from the iMac like I did the Mac mini.

I figure I'll use it for 3 years or so and replace it with a Retina iMac in 2017 or so. And by 2016 I might switch from a super overpowered MacBook Pro Retina to a shiny new MacBook Air Retina since the iMac will give me all the power I need.

Funny though. I bought this MacBook Pro Retina last fall. Top of the line. Best you can get. And was just going to get a Mac mini for the server. Now the computer I just purchased for a server not only cost a little over half what I paid for the MBP but is also more powerful and came out the same year. At least I saved a few hundred by going refurb.

Shame about the Mac mini. They teased us with a $500 point, then it turned out to just be the same scenario as the $1000 iMac. Underpowered useless piece of junk that has a much better twice as fast counterpart for $200 more. They might as well have made it $300-400 at most. (iMac should have been $700-800 at most) Apple gonna Apple?

I still regret not paying $30 for Monday shipping. Does anyone know if Apple's shipping may occasionally show up before it's predicted? I've purchased plenty of things from other companies and had them arrive days before they were planned. Like anything I buy from NewEgg always comes by the next day after it ships. Even if I do 3-5 day shipping. And I bought something somewhere recently that arrived before the "your order was shipped!" email even arrived.

ZeroX03

Banned
I still regret not paying $30 for Monday shipping. Does anyone know if Apple's shipping may occasionally show up before it's predicted? I've purchased plenty of things from other companies and had them arrive days before they were planned. Like anything I buy from NewEgg always comes by the next day after it ships. Even if I do 3-5 day shipping. And I bought something somewhere recently that arrived before the "your order was shipped!" email even arrived.

Everything I've ever ordered directly from Apple has shown up early. They give pretty conservative shipping estimates.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Everything I've ever ordered directly from Apple has shown up early. They give pretty conservative shipping estimates.
I'm crossing my fingers. I am off Tuesday and Wednesday, but it's scheduled for Thursday. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll arrive at least one day early if not two.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm really puzzled. I just got an iPad Air and while general usage is snappier, there are instances where the iPad 4 is a lot faster. Plants vs Zombies HD loads about twice as fast on the iPad 4. Defenders runs about twice as fast as well even though I can't notice a visible difference between the two.

I was going to keep the Air for myself and give the 4 to my mom, but now I'm not so sure. I never thought I'd have to worry about performance downgrades with a newer generation tablet.

I'm really puzzled. I just got an iPad Air and while general usage is snappier, there are instances where the iPad 4 is a lot faster. Plants vs Zombies HD loads about twice as fast on the iPad 4. Defenders runs about twice as fast as well even though I can't notice a visible difference between the two.

I was going to keep the Air for myself and give the 4 to my mom, but now I'm not so sure. I never thought I'd have to worry about performance downgrades with a newer generation tablet.

Improperly optimised / non-updated software is the issue there. Defenders appears to be badly optimised whereas PvZ never got updated to run with the Air.

jts

...hate me...

Since the first iPad with retina display, Apple fed it a beefed up SoC, first A5X (iPad 3), then A6X (iPad 4). The X basically means a quad-core GPU in it. Then when the Air hit, they went back to the vanilla SoC with the regular A7 (save for clock speed diferences) same as the iPhone 5s and iPad mini 2. The A7 has a faster CPU than the one on the A6x, but can't compete with the graphics of it. At least not in all situations.

Now they went back on track again with the A8X on the iPad Air 2.

Since the first iPad with retina display, Apple fed it a beefed up SoC, first A5X (iPad 3), then A6X (iPad 4). The X basically means a quad-core GPU in it. Then when the Air hit, they went back to the vanilla SoC with the regular A7 (save for clock speed diferences) as the iPhone 5s and iPad mini 2, with a dual-core GPU. The A7 has a faster CPU than the one on the A6x, but can't compete with the quad-core graphics of it. At least not in all situations.

That's partially true, but in most cases iPad Air's GPU still outperforms that of its predecessor. As long as you optimise for it, there's little reason it shouldn't run better.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/30/ipad-air-graphics-performance-40-70-better-than-ipad-4/

Juice

It's $300 more than an equivalently configured non-retina 27" iMac. Seems like a great deal for a 5K display upgrade.

If you're in the market for a 27" iMac, then absolutely go for it. I really just want the display.

Oh, and the iMac doesn't support target display mode, which suggests we have to wait for a whole new generation of post-broadwell macs to get an external retina display.

FFFFFUUUUU

TheExodu5

Banned
Since the first iPad with retina display, Apple fed it a beefed up SoC, first A5X (iPad 3), then A6X (iPad 4). The X basically means a quad-core GPU in it. Then when the Air hit, they went back to the vanilla SoC with the regular A7 (save for clock speed diferences) same as the iPhone 5s and iPad mini 2. The A7 has a faster CPU than the one on the A6x, but can't compete with the graphics of it. At least not in all situations.

Interesting. Still, with the return to a quad core GPU with the Air 2, I'm still a bit worried that the iPad 4 might outperform the Air with some games. Oh well, I suppose I'm still better off with the Air.

Jaxx

Banned
Canceled my iPad Air 2 pre-order and ordered an iPad Mini 2 with the 20 dollar off education discount instead. Just couldn't justify the cost of the air. What finally pushed me to cancel was Apple's insistence on keeping 16 gig as the base model when they could have just as easily made it 32. **** them.

Blablurn

Canceled my iPad Air 2 pre-order and ordered an iPad Mini 2 with the 20 dollar off education discount instead. Just couldn't justify the cost of the air. What finally pushed me to cancel was Apple's insistence on keeping 16 gig as the base model when they could have just as easily made it 32. **** them.

Did you buy the 16GB mini or the 32GB mini?

Jaxx

Banned
Did you buy the 16GB mini or the 32GB mini?

32. It's the sweet spot for what I do with a tablet. Lots of streaming video apps, browsing, Spotify downloads, bunch of 100 meg-ish games for me and my wife, some videos to watch while traveling. 64 gig would be overkill and 16 gig just isnt enough room anymore.

JNA

Banned
Is IPad Air 2 worth a purchase if I already have an IPad Air 1?

I already feel like this IPad is slowing down for me, and it is only 16 GB (I know...big mistake), but should I wait another year for an Air 3?

badb0y

Is IPad Air 2 worth a purchase if I already have an IPad Air 1?

I already feel like this IPad is slowing down for me, and it is only 16 GB (I know...big mistake), but should I wait another year for an Air 3?

It's up to you but you can sell your iPad Air 1 and use those funds to upgrade the iPad Air 2 and it shouldn't be that bad.

JNA

Banned
It's up to you but you can sell your iPad Air 1 and use those funds to upgrade the iPad Air 2 and it shouldn't be that bad.

How much does an IPad Air 1 sell for if I decide to do that? Should I sell back at Best Buy since that is where I got mine or a different retailer?

Necrovex

32. It's the sweet spot for what I do with a tablet. Lots of streaming video apps, browsing, Spotify downloads, bunch of 100 meg-ish games for me and my wife, some videos to watch while traveling. 64 gig would be overkill and 16 gig just isnt enough room anymore.

That's how I feel. I have my phone for music playing, so I probably won't fill my iPad up with that. 32 GB should be everything I need until I upgrade a few years down the line.

So iPad air 2 was never an option for me after my iPad 3. I just think a 9.7 inch screen is way too big for not having a legit OS on it.

Anyway, went ahead and bought iPad mini 2 with 64 GB and att refurbished for around 500 after taxes

Still pissed off over the iPad mini 3.

Ever think apple will come out with something similar to a surface pro?

epmode

So iPad air 2 was never an option for me after my iPad 3. I just think a 9.7 inch screen is way too big for not having a legit OS on it.

Anyway, went ahead and bought iPad mini 2 with 64 GB and att refurbished for around 500 after taxes

Still pissed off over the iPad mini 3.

Ever think apple will come out with something similar to a surface pro?

Look for the iPad Pro in a few months.
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/ipad...ase-date-rumours-leaked-images-photo-3492180/

The iPad Mini 3 would have made a lot more sense if they included NFC support for ApplePay in it. That would have actually been a compelling reason to step up to the current generation model.

I get the lack of the CPU upgrade for the most part though, given that the A8 is mostly a faster-clocked die shrink of the A7, and the A7 was already faster clocked in the Mini last year.

On the Mac side, Intel's fabrication issues are really starting to hit home. Another three or four months until there is anything interesting happening with a hardware upgrade, and for the most part, even then, it's only going to be a GPU upgrade and better battery life, and yay, a smaller form factor, but really nobody cares about that.

giga

The iPad Mini 3 would have made a lot more sense if they included NFC support for ApplePay in it. That would have actually been a compelling reason to step up to the current generation model.

I get the lack of the CPU upgrade for the most part though, given that the A8 is mostly a faster-clocked die shrink of the A7, and the A7 was already faster clocked in the Mini last year.

On the Mac side, Intel's fabrication issues are really starting to hit home. Another three or four months until there is anything interesting happening with a hardware upgrade, and for the most part, even then, it's only going to be a GPU upgrade and better battery life, and yay, a smaller form factor, but really nobody cares about that.
Siracusa said:
These visual effects aren’t free; they cost CPU and GPU cycles each time the foreground or background changes. Behind-window blending is implemented in the window server, which is responsible for compositing all the visible windows into the final screen image. (This compositing process has been GPU-accelerated since 2005.) Moving a window that uses vibrancy in the behind-window blending mode does not require the application that owns the window to redraw any content; the window server handles the re-compositing as the background changes.
I can definitely feel my 2013 MBPr chug sometimes, which I attribute to the Iris 5100 rendering everything at 2560x1600, and will gladly accept faster integrated GPUs.

I'm on an iPad 3 right now. It's kind of choppy, and I never really use it.

But I'm going to start using it more now. Is it better to stay with full-size or go with the mini? It's going to be mainly used for school, I'd think.

mdubs

Banned
I'm on an iPad 3 right now. It's kind of choppy, and I never really use it.

But I'm going to start using it more now. Is it better to stay with full-size or go with the mini? It's going to be mainly used for school, I'd think.

Go big or go home, I bought the Air 2 for school to upgrade from my ipad 2. Mostly use for reading pdfs but I can't imagine having a smaller screen than that.

Red

Will an iPad Air case fit on the 2?
The 2 is nearly 1/5 thinner so I don't see how it would.

Anyone seen iMac 5K benchmarks yet? iFixIt managed to nab one but I haven't seen anything but first impressions elsewhere. The more I think about the 5K display the more I want it.

I can definitely feel my 2013 MBPr chug sometimes, which I attribute to the Iris 5100 rendering everything at 2560x1600, and will gladly accept faster integrated GPUs.

Sure, though unless we get Skylake MacBooks next fall, it's going to be kind of sad that two years later after our 2013 retina MBPs, there's really no improvement to the hardware outside of battery life and GPU.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I finally sold my air. Is a normal icloud backup enough to restore all settings and apps from, or should I do a backup to itunes via usb?

My smart case shipped today, says by normal post due 23rd October. That seems a long time for the delivery unless the post office is holding onto them? It says normal post so no tracking though, and no notification of the actual ipad shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom