• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

adroit

I'd suggest getting the RAM third-party if you want to save a little bit, I've done it for my iMac in the past and it's worked great.
Thanks for the advice. I've done that several times with PCs in the past and never had any problems. But since this is my first Mac I'm probably going to be a coward and buy it from Tim.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's the drive in your 2010 that makes it slow. I guess the CPU, memory, and GPU might also not be enough for what you want to use a computer for, but it's probably the HDD. I spend most of my work related computer time writing, and now that my 2010 mini has an SSD, I really don't find a difference between it and my i7 equipped MacBook Air or 8-core Mac Pro.

A 7200 RPM 2.5" drive still isn't fast.
Yeah. But at least a 7200 would be a little faster than a 5400. Either way I'll probably get a 27" instead so I can at least replace it with an SSD at some point. I got my eye on a Refurb on the store I might get if it sticks around. I won't have a fancy box but it'll be a great replacement. The mini might be cheaper by a lot but I should probably future-proof myself. Anyone know how you replace the HDD in a new iMac? Do you go through the front still or is there access somewhere? Is it easy?

We know they are working on something. It must not be up to par if it has not yet been announced.
It's the reason I haven't gotten a STB yet. I was hoping for all Apple stuff. But this makes me want to just get another Roku. All I want is Plex! I was hoping an AppleTV with an App Store would bring over quick ports of all the video players and streamers iOS has. It would have been perfect and easy to port being Cocoa and everything. I plan on getting something when I get a new TV. So hopefully they'll release one by then. Else I'll probably just get a Roku. Though my options are open.

I'm now anxiously waiting for someone to confirm the 2GB RAM of the iPad Air 2. The reflection issue of previous iPads was a big deal of you ever were outside and FINALLY the gap on the iPad screen is reduced. Thinner and lighter is always better on a device you need for reading. After getting a 6+ I can't use a non Touch ID device, it's so damn convenient to use

Pachimari

I sold my iPad 2 and Mini 1 a while ago and haven't had an Apple device for some time but I'm thinking of jumping back in with Air 2, primarily for games and j browsing the internet.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Okay. 27" Refurbished iMac is ordered. Should be here by Thursday. What have I done? lol

Retina was tempting, but I only need a server and a little more. Not a full replacement. That's what my rMBP is for.

I just hope they weren't planning on updating the non-Retina iMacs at any time soon.

Radec

wait, the iPad Air 2 doesn't have a rotation switch ?

P1010728.jpg

Lock switch absense gives me pause.

Back when Apple didn't think we wanted a rotation lock, I was concerned. But now it's a part of the bottom UI panel, so I can live without it. (I will miss it, but it's like the side power button on the iPhone 6; we'll adapt)

DOWN

Banned
Back when Apple didn't think we wanted a rotation lock, I was concerned. But now it's a part of the bottom UI panel, so I can live without it. (I will miss it, but it's like the side power button on the iPhone 6; we'll adapt)

Yep, they decided thinner with on-screen lock switch outweighed a physical switch. Though, I'm surprised how many of you don't use it as the default sound silencer.

PFD

I use the rotation switch several times a day, especially at home when lying on couch/bed and shifting around. My iPad is always muted (i use headphones), so I never use the switch for muting.

I'm fine with the switch gone, but they've got to have a better software solution for auto-rotation. Make it smarter, let us train it, anything. It's weird that Apple hasn't recognized all these years in how much iPad use goes on sideways in bed.

Suddenly realized they might as well use the GPS, barometer, accelerometer, and all of their friends to set a "bed" mode when we're in it.

Xcellere

I'm waiting on benchmarks. If it has any performance issues due to the display I will wait for the next revision. I went down the path of the iPad 3 and will not make the same mistake again.

Gaming benchmarks? I'm sure it'll do terribly in that area, but thankfully I'm not buying it for that purpose. I do web development and having a 5k AIO is a dream come true for me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Suddenly realized they might as well use the GPS, barometer, accelerometer, and all of their friends to set a "bed" mode when we're in it.

Shit, why not cut the fat and do shake to orientate screen? I know undo is typically mapped to shake but thats less vital.

Shit, why not cut the fat and do shake to orientate screen? I know undo is typically mapped to shake but thats less vital.

Ugh, I hate using shake for anything. Why not use a double tap of the Touch ID ring like reachability uses on the new IPhones?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, I hate using shake for anything. Why not use a double tap of the Touch ID ring like reachability uses on the new IPhones?
Eh, within the next 36 months we will see an entirely new input paradigm on iOS so honestly its just a moot issue.

ZeroX03

Banned
I need M295X benchs god damnit. M290X isn't up for 1440p, I really want the M295X to be a better performer.

Hopefully Anandtech gets a high-end model to review, IIRC Apple gives most outlets their top spec custom models.

Shearie

In another thread I said that I wouldn't go back to a full size iPad again and I would get the Mini 3 even though it's less of a good value this year.........well, I lied. I convinced myself to get the Air 2 even though I prefer the Mini size because of how much better the screen is (full sRGB, fully laminated, anti-reflective coating). Better cpu/gpu and supposedly more ram will be icing on the cake. Excited to get this as soon as possible because its kind of sucked not having an iPad around (sold my original Mini a week or so ago).

Can someone explain to me why you would want a display over 4K?

Aren't 4K videos going to look weird on a 5K monitor?

Because you can edit a 4K video at full resolution with 720 lines of room for the video editor interface.

It was the same when the original 30" Cinema Display came out. You could get basically get pixel accurate 1080p footage in a Final Cut Pro window with room for the interface.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm fine with the switch gone, but they've got to have a better software solution for auto-rotation. Make it smarter, let us train it, anything. It's weird that Apple hasn't recognized all these years in how much iPad use goes on sideways in bed.

I'd like an alternative to simply 'auto rotate' or 'never rotate'. How about a 'don't rotate unless I tap with three fingers and then adjust'

Is the iPad Mini 2 still good? I see refurbished device at Apple for 250 bucks.

Ipad mini 2 is literally the ipad mini 3 only without the finger print reader. $250 is a great price, jump on it.

I've been nodding off for 10 minutes but just bit my tongue while snoring apparently and now I'm awake. Would be nice if it was available though sometime soon so I can get some sleep lol.

Certinty

Although I have despised having a 16GB iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and LG G2, I can't justify the extra 46GB for £80. Will just delete content as time goes along I guess.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
[KoRp]Jazzman;134719582 said:
I'm using the store app, anyone try it on the website to see if that's working instead?

Nope. it changed to have a select button but ipads are showing as unavailable

Certinty

Anyone care to explain how this ordering works? I don't even understand what the release date for the iPad Air 2 is and this is only for delivery and not store pickup?

Believe the actual release date is the 24th, so you are preorderig it now for home delivery. If it's like the 6 was, it will ship ahead of time so it's actually delivered on the 24th.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I didn't know Grace Chen got a new job

Is this going up so or will it be whenever retail opens today?

Edit:tried ringing and they just went to the website to check :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom