• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Comet

I didn't know Grace Chen got a new job

Is this going up so or will it be whenever retail opens today?

I think I remember buying the original mini at midnight, but I can't find the receipt at any of my email addresses for the life of me, so I don't know if I was able to buy it at midnight or if it was the next day.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
[KoRp]Jazzman;134721058 said:
Ateast that confirms it should be up, or they have no idea either lol.

They have no idea. They said soon (in the next few hours!) and try checking that webpage rather than ringing them every 10 minutes :)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I use the switch on my iPad as a lock switch. But now with iOS 7 I wouldn't even care as much.

Doesn't matter anyway since I'm planning on dumping both my iPad and iPhone for a 6+ eventually.

Upgrading from an iPad 2 to an Air 2, should be quite the change!

I'd love the 5K iMac for working in Lightroom alone, but I doubt I could fly the £2'700 (with upgrades) past the missus :p

Red

Gaming benchmarks? I'm sure it'll do terribly in that area, but thankfully I'm not buying it for that purpose. I do web development and having a 5k AIO is a dream come true for me.
Performance in general. Gaming is not a priority for me. More a nice to have. Photo and video editing would be the primary tasks.

Jimrpg

Apple is unbelievably lazy when it comes to the iPad.

The air 2 is a decent update if a little uninspiring. Schiller looked bored on stage saying the same stuff over and over. But if u have iPad 3 or below, it's worth it. I love my air.

Can't believe the update to iPad mini tho, I mean what!

Jimrpg

This slide is bullshit:

apple571.jpg

Because it's $600 right now...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9&cm_re=4k_monitor-_-0JC-0007-00009-_-Product

Yeah I thought that was dodgy... Apple gonna apple sometimes

FerranMG

This was one of the worst keynotes, regarding announced things, I remember.
iPad Air 2 is ok.
iPad Mini 3, lol.
iMac retina is ok, but such an niche product with that price-point.
Mac Mini, lol.
No mention to iOS 8.1 features specific for the iPad.
No dual-window multitasking.
No Apple TV.

There were talks on how the iPad sales are declining, on how it's not such a relevant, ground-breaking product anymore. I hoped Apple would face this issues directly.
The fact that iOS 8.1 was not mentioned is probably what bothers me the most.

"It's been way too long?"
Indeed, since I saw such an underwhelming bunch of Apple-related news. :(

cluderi

Tempted to upgrade my ipad mini OG to an ipad Air 2 but without the ram info I'll hold off. Fact that it's absent from the offical pages and announcement makes me think there's something I won't like there.

Garou

Tempted to upgrade my ipad mini OG to an ipad Air 2 but without the ram info I'll hold off. Fact that it's absent from the offical pages and announcement makes me think there's something I won't like there.

Ram was never ever mentioned for ANY iOS-device.

Cheebo

Banned
Apple never reveals ram . even when they increase ir

This was one of the worst keynotes, regarding announced things, I remember.
iPad Air 2 is ok.
iPad Mini 3, lol.
iMac retina is ok, but such an niche product with that price-point.
Mac Mini, lol.
No mention to iOS 8.1 features specific for the iPad.
No dual-window multitasking.
No Apple TV.

There were talks on how the iPad sales are declining, on how it's not such a relevant, ground-breaking product anymore. I hoped Apple would face this issues directly.
The fact that iOS 8.1 was not mentioned is probably what bothers me the most.

"It's been way too long?"
Indeed, since I saw such an underwhelming bunch of Apple-related news. :(

Split-screen multitasking won't happen until the iPad Pro is ready early next year with iOS 8.2.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Will be upgrading to an Air 2 from an iPad 2. Can't wait. Just hope I can get the financing. Or that they actually go on sale at some point.

AndTAR

So they apparently found room to lower the watt-hours of the battery yet again; 27.3 in the Air 2 - down from 32.4 in the Air 1.

~18% faster charge speed, it seems. They should've mentioned that, it's nearly an hour faster.

BlazinAm

I dunno the iMac with Retina Desplay seems cool only because it is an IPS screen. I hope that this mainstreams IPS screens like that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Apple really need the Watch to be THE next big, because these presentations are becoming nothing more than an upgraded specification sheet reading.

but then they release the watch and that gets incremental updates. They can't release 'the next big thing' all the time.

Maybe eventually these events will get less attention - you know, like normal companies.

still not up for preorder - online chat was useless too

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The store page is down now, looks like they're fixing it. Does anyone have experiences with ordering these things direct from apple? Are they likely to blow out of stock in the first 5 mins?

Pachimari

I'm really thinking of getting an iPad Air 2 now that I don't have any Apple products anymore. But I'm thinking if I can just be content with my LG G3 for web browsing.

Gamerloid

Will Pre-Order iPad Air 2 from Best Buy when it allows me to... Also, I want this to go along with it. Best Buy gave me an estimate of $170 for my iPad 3, but I hope I get more. This can't believe Apple released that and then quickly went to the iPad 4... How could testing not show that the iPad 3 couldn't handle the new screen well.

To be fair to Apple, the media hype this things up beyond recognition.

That's the problem. It also sucks that even when a bunch of rumors say the same thing and its looking to be true, some people end up disappointed with the presentation due to it now being what was expected.

Apple is at the point where the world wants them to be the innovator that drives the industry. The thirst for new products and mind blowing features is overwhelming, and to expect such inventions so often isn't a good idea. But hey, they play the role of such a company so they'll have to deal.

Air 2 looks great, especially since I'm upgrading from an iPad 3.

But I'm really sad that there is no 32gb version of the Air 2, nor a leather Smart Cover.

Really odd decisions from Apple I think.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

But I'm really sad that there is no 32gb version of the Air 2, nor a leather Smart Cover.

No leather smart covers? Assuming the previous ones don't fit then.

The 64GB is the same price as the 32GB.

I have a 32GB Air and I'm tempted by a 64GB Air 2, though I know in reality it would be best to hold off until next year's inevitable redesign.

br3wnor

Apple really need the Watch to be THE next big, because these presentations are becoming nothing more than an upgraded specification sheet reading.

All Apple really needs to keep making crazy dough is for anyone currently with an iPhone 4/5/6 to make their next phone upgrade an iPhone. Considering the 2 year upgrafe cycle and the fact that not a whole lot of people leave the iPhone product line once they're in it, I think they'll be fine for a while even if the watch doesn't blow up.

Cheebo

Banned

They announced new leather smart covers. It's on their Web Store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom