• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juice

Went with a 64GB WiFi Air 2, was a bit too worried 16GB would fill up too quickly even if I don't put a ton of video or whatever on it.

At this point I couldn't imagine paying $500 for a device i would be immediately fighting storage limits on.

I'm not a heavy media or app consumer and just basic bloat over time has made 16GB iOS devices unruly

Went with a 64GB WiFi Air 2, was a bit too worried 16GB would fill up too quickly even if I don't put a ton of video or whatever on it.

32gb would be the perfect size in my mind, but seeing as it's dropped you pretty much have to go with 64 now. Plus with the new camera and video options, games won't be the only major space requirement anymore I think.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'd never get 16gb anything anymore.

It's fine for my mom though as it's literally only used for email, browsing, and mahjong.

Red Comet

I went 16gb because I still haven't filled the 16gb of my mini. I stream my music and movies. I mainly use my iPad for browsing, books, and photos, so hopefully 16 gb will be enough again.

That said, I'd welcome Apple making 32 or 64gb the base model next time around.

MercuryLS

Banned
I ended up getting the iPad mini 2 32gb for $360 on the Canadian educational store. Came up to $407 with tax. Pretty sweet, I should be good on the iPad front for the next few years.

Jaxx

Banned
Drove to Target to pick up a 16 gig Retina iPad Mini (the non-Fuck You version) for 299 and Target's employees know about the price drop but they can't sell it for that price yet. Ridiculous imo. So Target loses my money and now I wait for a seller on Amazon to provide it at a discount with free shipping and no tax.

AngryMoth

Same, if the bottom tier was 32GB I would have gone with that instead.
Same. It's really annoying to see them it's increase storage on the mid and top tier price levels but leave the base at 16GB. It feels like they know 32GB is the sweet spot for a lot of people and are just squeezing us for more money. But 16 just isn't enough, when you take out what's reserved by the OS my music would eat up more than half and I'd have no room for photos/large apps.

128 GB wifi incoming. Cellular was a waste of money on my iPad 3, not to mention that you have to worry about Verizon permanently screwing up you SIM if you leave your account closed for >6 months. I'll just use my phone for cellular data.

How do they screw up your sim?

TheExodu5

Banned
Sweet. Got a mint condition 16GB Air warrantied until Aug 2015 for $350 CDN.

I was going to get an Air 2 64GB, but this was about $385 cheaper. Couldn't pass that up.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Same. It's really annoying to see them it's increase storage on the mid and top tier price levels but leave the base at 16GB. It feels like they know 32GB is the sweet spot for a lot of people and are just squeezing us for more money. But 16 just isn't enough, when you take out what's reserved by the OS my music would eat up more than half and I'd have no room for photos/large apps.

Of course they know.
It's a great business decision.

Luckily for me, I always bought the mid tier one, so it's an upgrade at the same price.

epmode

How do they screw up your sim?

If you sign up for a Verizon iPad plan, then cancel it, the SIM becomes unusable six months later because Verizon automatically deletes the account or whatever. You won't be able to reactivate without getting a replacement SIM.

I've heard there are ways around this, usually by explaining the situation to Verizon via phone when canceling your plan (and hoping you get someone that understands what you're trying to do).

mdubs

Banned
Went with the Silver Air 2 wifi 64gb. Apple is crafty, I would have bought the base model if it was 32gb but 16gb is just not manageable in this day and age. I'm upgrading from the ipad 2 so I'm assuming this will be very massively lighter and better in general.

Wallach

Got my 64GB Wi-Fi Air 2. Once it arrives I'll be turning my current Air over to a family member, I think.

Looking forward to seeing how this A8X does with games compared to the A7.

Jaxx

Banned
I'm weak. I bought a 64 gig wifi black Air 2. My uneducated appraisal of the device is that it should be good for two years. That obviously changes if the rumored 2 gigs turns out to be false. But if that's the case, I'm returning it anyway.

Really disappointed to see the iPad mini getting the shaft here. From what I understand it's only getting Touch ID? Where's my anti glare coating :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm weak. I bought a 64 gig wifi black Air 2. My uneducated appraisal of the device is that it should be good for two years. That obviously changes if the rumored 2 gigs turns out to be false. But if that's the case, I'm returning it anyway.

That's what I said to myself when I bought the air 1 :p

DOWN

Banned
I feel like I won't use GPS 99.99% of the time and my iPhone has LTE tethering, but I'm having a hard time saying no to the LTE model. Can someone talk me out of it?

MercuryLS

Banned
I feel like I won't use GPS 99.99% of the time and my iPhone has LTE tethering, but I'm having a hard time saying no to the LTE model. Can someone talk me out of it?

I bought the LTE iPad 3 a few years ago, it's a waste for most people with a good LTE plan on their phones and lots of data.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm reading conflicting opinions like how apps with navigation or location are a hassle/ don't work without LTE model and how Find my iPad basically doesn't help on the Wi-Fi model.

Ah, so you plan on taking the iPad out and using it for navigation instead of the phone?

Find my iPad works fine for me at home or my parents place with wifi. I've used it to "call" it when I couldn't locate it and the map location would also be correct.

Same. Now that Verizon has free tethering it's really nice to not have to worry about getting a cell model. I went with the black b/c I think white will be distracting (only ever had black iPad). Also got the new smart case to see how I like it. I kind of hate cases though so will probably only use that for travel.
Since when did Verizon get free tethering?

That's what I said to myself when I bought the air 1 :p

Haha, exactly what I said too and yet I preordred an Air 2 at Best Buy. Easy enough to cancel or return if I decide I don't want to upgrade.

DOWN

Banned
I bought the LTE iPad 3 a few years ago, it's a waste for most people with a good LTE plan on their phones and lots of data.

Ah, so you plan on taking the iPad out and using it for navigation instead of the phone?

Find my iPad works fine for me at home or my parents place with wifi. I've used it to "call" it when I couldn't locate it and the map location would also be correct.

I feel like I'd rarely use it, but then again if I do end up in a situation where I want it out and about seamlessly, I would want the LTE. And sometimes I shut off public Wi-fi on my phone, for example, because the LTE ends up faster. But I hate being in public enough that I doubt I'd find myself in that situation many times with a tablet over a few years vs. how much I notice it with a phone that's always with me.

Boney

Banned
So, I've been meaning to get a first tablet and was waiting for this event so I could go pick up a cheaper regular Air.

Missed the whole conference though so I'm not really sure where the Air 2, Air and Mini 3 compare. Is the Air 2 a massive improvement I should look into?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I feel like I'd rarely use it, but then again if I do end up in a situation where I want it out and about seamlessly, I would want the LTE. And sometimes I shut off public Wi-fi on my phone, for example, because the LTE ends up faster. But I hate being in public enough that I doubt I'd find myself in that situation many times with a tablet over a few years vs. how much I notice it with a phone that's always with me.

Yeah, you don't need it.
If you constantly work on your iPad and use it as utility outside maybe.
But for the 1% of times you think you'd need it, just use your phone.

jts

...hate me...
So, I've been meaning to get a first tablet and was waiting for this event so I could go pick up a cheaper regular Air.

Missed the whole conference though so I'm not really sure where the Air 2, Air and Mini 3 compare. Is the Air 2 a massive improvement I should look into?
The Air 2 is a fine improvement, but until we know if it has 2GB of RAM, you can perfectly be fine with the regular Air.

Air 2 vs Air:

$100 more expensive
Thinner
Touch ID
Faster, super faster graphics
120fps slo-mo camera

Mini 3 vs mini 2:

$100 more expensive
Touch ID

The Air 2 is a fine improvement, but until we know if it has 2GB of RAM, you can perfectly be fine with the regular Air.

Air 2 vs Air:

$100 more expensive
Thinner
Touch ID
120fps slo-mo camera

Mini 3 vs mini 2:

$100 more expensive
Touch ID

Better camera on Air 2, not just slo mo

Boney

Banned

Air 2 vs Air:

$100 more expensive
Thinner
Touch ID
120fps slo-mo camera

Mini 3 vs mini 2:

$100 more expensive
Touch ID
Great, so I'll wait to see see if it has 2gb of ram, to decide if going top end is worth it.

jts

...hate me...
Better camera on Air 2, not just slo mo
True, and perhaps most importantly, I forgot to mention the laminated display. Game changer.
Tempted to go with an older Air or Mini 2 but I really want to see the new Air 2 screen in real life before making the plunge.
Has to be a beaut, m8. I remember being shocked the first time I saw an iPhone 4 display, looked like an high quality printed poster.

MercuryLS

Banned

Isn't it easier than ever to do hotspots with OS X and iOS devices? Like zero configuration? I bought the LTE iPad with the same mindset, but you have to pay for another data plan for the off chance of using it (at higher rates than for a good cell phone plan) and pay $130 LTE antenna tax. It's ultimately not worth it IMO for the rare chances that you need it, and when you do the slight inconvenience of tethering is really not that bad.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, you don't need it.

One snag with tethering is that ipad doesn't let you restrict data usage over a mobile connection. So it will think it has lovely wifi, and cane your phone's data. This is something android does well (can restrict background data usage over a tethered connection) and something I hope apple add soon.

TheExodu5

Banned
If you're going with 16GB, then it's definitely worth considering the first Air. Wait for teardowns to see if it has 2GB of RAM or not. If not, then consider that you can get a refurb 16GB Air for $340. Depending on your use case, it might be a better purchase. At $400 though, I wouldn't consider the Air over the Air 2, since touch ID and the camera are worthwhile updates. At $340, that decision is more difficult.

Personally, I rarely play demanding games on my iPad. Demanding games are often not very suited to touch controls. My favorite experiences on the device are 2D and would benefit very little from the updated hardware. I'm happy with the original Air at a steep discount.

DOWN

Banned
Yeah, you don't need it.

Isn't it easier than ever to do hotspots with OS X and iOS devices? Like zero configuration? I bought the LTE iPad with the same mindset, but you have to pay for another data plan for the off chance of using it (at higher rates than for a good cell phone plan) and pay $130 LTE antenna tax. It's ultimately not worth it IMO for the rare chances that you need it, and when you do the slight inconvenience of tethering is really not that bad.

The LTE is more of a business-oriented model, imo. Have to be flawlessly online all the time, can't afford to be arsed to tether to the phone, and can afford an extra data plan? Go LTE.

Yes, supposedly (at least they mentioned) you can activate tethering from other Apple devices now without pulling your phone out.

Okay, I think you guys have convinced me to go for the Wi-Fi model. If I really can't stand missing LTE (which is hard to really imagine), I will just sell it in a couple of model years instead of hanging onto it for 3+ years. Now I just need 2GB RAM to be real.

If you're going with 16GB, then it's definitely worth considering the first Air. Wait for teardowns to see if it has 2GB of RAM or not. If not, then consider that you can get a refurb 16GB Air for $340. Depending on your use case, it might be a better purchase. At $400 though, I wouldn't consider the Air over the Air 2, since touch ID and the camera are worthwhile updates. At $340, that decision is more difficult.

Personally, I rarely play demanding games on my iPad. Demanding games are often not very suited to touch controls. My favorite experiences on the device are 2D and would benefit very little from the updated hardware. I'm happy with the original Air at a steep discount.

Do keep in mind that Apple does supposedly amazing refurbishment since they always replace all outer parts, including metal shell, screen, etc. along with new charger and plain box. So in their Refurbished & Clearance store the 16GB Wi-Fi Air is down to $339.

I believe I've read people mention these are sometimes even just used for a week and pristine returns but Apple automatically replaces the outers anyway (in case they would have not noticed a scratch or if it had been engraved) and sends the screen and shell for potential recycling or repair at their convenience.

That said, I've never bought refurbished, so I don't have first hand experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom