• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So was that 2gb of ram rumor for the ipad air 2 right? Or did apple skimp out and go with 1gb again? I'm tempted to do the BestBuy Trade in deal (at least $200 for ipad2 or newer with a preorder of the Air 2) but wanted to know what the ram situation was

Necrovex

So was that 2gb of ram rumor for the ipad air 2 right? Or did apple skimp out and go with 1gb again? I'm tempted to do the BestBuy Trade in deal (at least $200 for ipad2 or newer with a preorder of the Air 2) but wanted to know what the ram situation was

Sounds like we won't know anything about the RAM situation until reviews come out.

Should also run smoother once 8.1 drops on Monday

This is good news, I don't want my new Mini stuttering up a storm!

Sounds like we won't know anything about the RAM situation until reviews come out.

This is good news, I don't want my new Mini stuttering up a storm!

Alright thanks, guess I'll hold off on my trade in. I think BB was willing to give me $185 for my 32gb ipad3 + a $50 off coupon toward the ipad air 2, figured it would be a good deal if the air 2 was a sufficient upgrade

DOWN

Banned
Anyone catch this? Wired says RAM is confirmed 2GB:

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/ipad-air-2/

As rumored, it’s got 2GB of RAM, a new A8x processor and M8 coprocessor for better multitasking, page scrolling, and gaming action.

yAawEn.gif

DOWN

Banned
I'm moving ever so closer to grabbing and air 2, just waiting on that Friday ram reveal and I'll be heading to the Apple Store after work.

I actually thought reviews went up tomorrow, the Tuesday before launch, just like they did with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.
I too was hoping reviews would be before launch again.

I don't trust the RAM confirmation of Wired alone since I don't see how they would have checked it. Though, we still might not know RAM until iFixit gets their own unit to dismantle, right?

LordOfChaos

Is broardwell strong enough to drive the retina display on the new Airs without lagging? That's my only concern.

Haswell already drives the 13" rMBPs display, and the HD5000 in the existing Haswell air is (for better or worse) not much behind the Iris 5100 in the rMBP. Broadwell will also bring a nice GPU jump. So it should drive the display ok for normal UI use. I still do see some stutters on rMBPs though.

MercuryLS

Banned
Haswell already drives the 13" rMBPs display, and the HD5000 in the existing Haswell air is (for better or worse) not much behind the Iris 5100 in the rMBP. Broadwell will also bring a nice GPU jump. So it should drive the display ok for normal UI use. I still do see some stutters on rMBPs though.

Yeah I have some stutters on my rMBP too, I was hoping that the rMBA would be super smooth but that might not happen until a few refreshes.

This Friday by the looks of it.

Thanks. That's what I thought but I didn't want to make an extra trip friday in case it isn't available. Does anyone know if I can trade in my iPad 2 at Apple Store before hand or do they only do trade in's when your buying a new product?

LordOfChaos

I am not ordering till I see a teardown.

Same, and I'd encourage those who care to look for an actual teardown and not just rumors (to another person above believing the site wholesale - they don't have a confirmation, just a guess).
1GB of RAM for another year is definitely a dealbreaker for me, I see way more reloading of apps and webpage tabs on 1GB iOS devices than 2+GB Android ones, despite people saying iOS is more efficient (it is - but not so much to overcome double the physical RAM.

Quasar

Same, and I'd encourage those who care to look for an actual teardown and not just rumors (to another person above believing the site wholesale - they don't have a confirmation, just a guess).
1GB of RAM for another year is definitely a dealbreaker for me, I see way more reloading of apps and webpage tabs on 1GB iOS devices than 2+GB Android ones, despite people saying iOS is more efficient (it is - but not so much to overcome double the physical RAM.

I only really see that in Chrome. I don't actually see that impact regular app use. But that might just be due to the kind of apps I use. I more often see slowdown on my iPad3 (which apparently has a GB of RAM) so eliminating slowdown (as well as the other additions) is enough to upgrade (though I wish the reloading of browser tabs was eliminated). At least versus using my iPad 3 for another year.

LordOfChaos

I only really see that in Chrome. I don't actually see that impact regular app use. But that might just be due to the kind of apps I use. I more often see slowdown on my iPad3 (which apparently has a GB of RAM) so eliminating slowdown (as well as the other additions) is enough to upgrade (though I wish the reloading of browser tabs was eliminated). At least versus using my iPad 3 for another year.

Oh yeah, not saying it's not a huge upgrade from the cortex a9 based A5X in there. Much much faster CPU performance, I think the A6 doubled the CPU, and then the A7 doubled that or something like that.

I'm just a heavy multitabber, on PCs I can hit 20, 25 tabs easily just casually persuing my interests, and if I hit even just 4-6 on a 1GB iOS devices they start booting tabs out and reloading too often for my liking. I also guess I use heavier apps, something like clash of clans will boot most Safari tabs out of memory for instance. I'd much prefer an Air 2 if it had 2GB.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oh yeah, not saying it's not a huge upgrade from the cortex a9 based A5X in there. Much much faster CPU performance, I think the A6 doubled the CPU, and then the A7 doubled that or something like that.

I'm just a heavy multitabber, on PCs I can hit 20, 25 tabs easily just casually persuing my interests, and if I hit even just 4-6 on a 1GB iOS devices they start booting tabs out and reloading too often for my liking. I also guess I use heavier apps, something like clash of clans will boot most Safari tabs out of memory for instance. I'd much prefer an Air 2 if it had 2GB.

If Apple really wants the iPad to be a laptop replacement in many ways, 2gb+ ram is essential to convert over people that do heavy tabbed browsing on laptops. Hopefully it's confirmed that the Air 2 has 2gb of ram, I'd love to see how many tabs it can handle without reloads.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Still nothing concrete on the Ram ? Come on Apple...if its just 1GB i wont bother and get a refurbished Mini 2.

Jaxx

Banned
I too was hoping reviews would be before launch again.

I don't trust the RAM confirmation of Wired alone since I don't see how they would have checked it. Though, we still might not know RAM until iFixit gets their own unit to dismantle, right?

You might not get official reviews before Friday, but you'll definitely get user impressions since people are getting shipping notifications stating their Air 2s will be arriving this Wednesday. But as someone else said, typically press reviews go up Tuesday before launch. So we might see something official later today.

DOWN

Banned
Macrumors thinks they've found iPad Air 2's benchmark with 2GB of RAM. A mysterious new iPad model with 2GB of RAM has appeared on iphonebenchmark's results log:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20148296#post20148296

attachment.php

EDIT: Aw blergh! Beaten above, I wrote this when no one had posted it and forgot to submit reply in this tab.

EDIT 2:

Oh dang. This seems basically legit now. That Macrumor thread also posted this other site which denotes iPad Air 2 as iPad 5,4 - basically confirming the benchmark was also an iPad Air 2 with 2GB RAM. http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=8500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom