• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
iPad iPad iPad.

It's so easy.

Go for the iPad.

You should be covered with a PS4 and Wii U for some time. Wait on the Xbox One, then when you get one it'd had accumulated exclusives.

Yeah, the big difference here is that iPad is tech you need to jump on when it gets updated because it will only be something you want when the tech is fresh and before each model gets outdated. Xbox One actually gains value while lowering in cost with time thanks to improving libraries built for stable tech specs.

ZeroX03

Banned
IF you're buying it for gaming youre setting yourself up for failure.

At 5k native? Absolutely.

Yeah. I was just curious to see how low the fps is with various games given its a laptop GPU.

The M290X won't be pushing many games at 1080p/60fps or 1440p/30fps which is what I'd call acceptable for mid tier gaming (and for a proper upscale on that 5k screen). Waiting on numbers for the M295X.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd like to sync my tabs with chrome on my desktop, but I don't like chrome on the ipad - prefer safari. Is there any way to automatically sync desktop chrome tabs with safari ipad tabs?

Pachimari

iPad iPad iPad.

It's so easy.

Go for the iPad.

You should be covered with a PS4 and Wii U for some time. Wait on the Xbox One, then when you get one it'd had accumulated exclusives.

Yeah, the big difference here is that iPad is tech you need to jump on when it gets updated because it will only be something you want when the tech is fresh and before each model gets outdated. Xbox One actually gains value while lowering in cost with time thanks to improving libraries built for stable tech specs.
Hmm, I'll think about it.

I'm literally at the order page on Apple's online store, but it's just that, I can already browse the internet, my mails and rss feeds on my 5.5" phone.

The iPad would of course give me those exclusive games like Monster Hunter, Pokémon and Hearthstone.

Pachimari

I think I'm gonna go with the Xbox One for now, so that I'll also have money for Bayonetta 2 SE and GTA V.

I guess it'll be iPad Air 3 for me next year. I'm only living in a one-room apartment with a desktop computer and a phone.

DarkFlow

Banned
At 5k native? Absolutely.

The M290X won't be pushing many games at 1080p/60fps or 1440p/30fps which is what I'd call acceptable for mid tier gaming (and for a proper upscale on that 5k screen). Waiting on numbers for the M295X.
I still don't understand why they are using a mobile GPU in a desktop. Especially when it's pushing 5k.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah I'm in the uk and my delivery estimate is between weds and fri, cover scheduled to arrive on Thursday. Hoping its Wednesday!

mine is exactly the same (UK). Got the shipment notification of the cover on Saturday, but no movement on the ipad - although it is no longer possible to cancel it on the order page.

edit: just got shipment notification of my ipad. Says delivery tomorrow. So my ipad might be here before my cover turns up.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
mine is exactly the same (UK). Got the shipment notification of the cover on Saturday, but no movement on the ipad - although it is no longer possible to cancel it on the order page.

edit: just got shipment notification of my ipad. Says delivery tomorrow. So my ipad might be here before my cover turns up.

Yep me too. Tomorrow it is! (Don't know why I'm so excited when I can't jailbreak and none of my precious emulators will work, but ooo new shiny)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yep me too. Tomorrow it is! (Don't know why I'm so excited when I can't jailbreak and none of my precious emulators will work, but ooo new shiny)

lol. I can't wait to get it, restore it from my previous backup and then go 'yep, its an ipad' and just start browsing gaf on it as usual

edit: John Lewis showing some as in stock.

ZeroX03

Banned
I still don't understand why they are using a mobile GPU in a desktop. Especially when it's pushing 5k.

Power draw and heat. Mobile cards are much lower and power draw especially is something the iMac prides itself on. It's not a dedicated gaming computer: it's a computer that can game if you get the high end card. Size is likely a factor too. Being slim and light is important for some people (including me).

And once you hit 5k it doesn't really matter: nothing is hitting native, regardless of desktop GPU or not. Maybe a 3-way 980 SLI, but come on.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's how you fit the whole dang computer in a sexy case against the screen without problems.

then maybe you should rethink whether the case really needs to be that thin when you are selling it more as a workstation for editing 4k video. You could still have it thin, just not crazy thin. Plus a better GPU would help with things like accelerated video editing/rendering.

DOWN

Banned
then maybe you should rethink whether the case really needs to be that thin when you are selling it more as a workstation for editing 4k video. You could still have it thin, just not crazy thin. Plus a better GPU would help with things like accelerated video editing/rendering.
Thin is Apple's favorite thing right now. The iPad Air 2 is evidence they aren't all about battery or other practical upgrades when it compromises the progress of their designs. It's gotta stay in sync.

Thin is Apple's favorite thing right now. The iPad Air 2 is evidence they aren't all about battery or other practical upgrades when it compromises the progress of their designs. It's gotta stay in sync.

I think being extremely thin / light is very practical in the design of a 9.7" tablet, especially when the battery is unlikely to stop even power users from getting a day out of it. Whether it's quite as necessary in an iMac is another matter.

ZeroX03

Banned
Thin and light is huge for people who want their desktop to be semi-portable. iMacs are easy and fast to pack up, very few messy cables (only one with wireless K&M) and light is good for things like flights. Not exactly common usage but neither are 5k screens at the moment.

Fuchsdh

Yes and no. Apple clearly prioritizes design and thinness… but not over all else; they refused to sacrifice the quality of the iPhone 6 camera, for instance, and rather had a retina display in the iPad 3, despite it making the case slightly thicker.

At some point they run into physics problems (durability, etc.) I'm just not sure when those will be, and whether new tech will remove those barriers. Maybe Apple sees the final form of the iPad as a piece of paper you can bend and roll up. Who knows.

I think being extremely thin / light is very practical in the design of a 9.7" tablet, especially when the battery is unlikely to stop even power users from getting a day out of it. Whether it's quite as necessary in an iMac is another matter.
It will be appreciated by those that take their macs to coffee shops.
starbuck_full.png

Admittedly, these things are so damn thin and light now as it is.

Waiting on a confirmation on the RAM in the Air 2, but I'm getting dangerously close to canceling my pre-order as I'm just not sure I can justify an upgrade from my Air. 2 gb of RAM might make it more tempting to keep it though.

DarkFlow

Banned
Power draw and heat. Mobile cards are much lower and power draw especially is something the iMac prides itself on. It's not a dedicated gaming computer: it's a computer that can game if you get the high end card. Size is likely a factor too. Being slim and light is important for some people (including me).

And once you hit 5k it doesn't really matter: nothing is hitting native, regardless of desktop GPU or not. Maybe a 3-way 980 SLI, but come on.
Why said anything about gaming? That's a lost cause on a Mac anyway. Video editing and rendering still takes some GPU muscle. They somehow fit dual FirePros in the trash can Mac Pro, they should have found a way to fit at least one in this thing.

ZeroX03

Banned
Why said anything about gaming? That's a lost cause on a Mac anyway. Video editing and rendering still takes some GPU muscle. They somehow fit dual FirePros in the trash can Mac Pro, they should have found a way to fit at least one in this thing.

Would you care to elaborate? CUDA perks are decent but hardly necessities, especially when the brunt of the work will be on the very capable 4790.

Unless you're referring to 3D rendering in something like AE

To clarify on my part: between my 770M, 680 and now 980 I've noticed performance jumps in CUDA to not be incredibly substantial and as long as the M295X is reasonably comparable to the 980M (which itself is near a 970), why would a desktop GPU be a significant increase in muscle and where does 5k enter into the equation? I mean if you are rendering 4k content - where there's still less diminishing returns on the power - I guess you'd want ever extra drop of power but I don't see why it's worth compromising the form factor and increasing power draw (and heat).

CronoShot

Has anyone gotten their smart cases in yet? I got mine in today, but it says iPad Air, not iPad Air 2. Are they using the same case, or did I get the wrong one?

HylianTom

Banned
Waiting on a confirmation on the RAM in the Air 2, but I'm getting dangerously close to canceling my pre-order as I'm just not sure I can justify an upgrade from my Air. 2 gb of RAM might make it more tempting to keep it though.
That's what I'm waiting for.

As soon as 2GB RAM is confirmed, I'm in. The 4 will go to my niece, and I'll finally have a wifi+cellular device. It'll be the last one I buy for years.

Maybe we'll get a teardown report soon..

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Faster CPU, touchID, thinner, tiny bit lighter, laminated screen. Enough for me. 2GB would be gravy

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Has anyone gotten their smart cases in yet? I got mine in today, but it says iPad Air, not iPad Air 2. Are they using the same case, or did I get the wrong one?

Turn it over. Look at the UPC. It should say "Ipad Air 2nd Generation"

Got mine today as well.

MercuryLS

Banned

If that case is specifically made for the Air 1 you're going to have issues, the iPad Air 2 is significantly thinner.

Faster CPU, touchID, thinner, tiny bit lighter, laminated screen. Enough for me. 2GB would be gravy

That was originally enough, but there isn't a single thing that I run on my current Air that has any performance issues and I haven't seen one bout of lag. I can sell my Air and cover half the cost of the Air 2, but I'm pretty torn as to whether to upgrade now or next year with the next revision.

AndTAR

Starting to look rather secure with the 2GB RAM I think, with an alleged benchmark now showing "~1987 MB" RAM along with some CPU scores as well.

Considering there was already that motherboard chip serial reading, I would probably be convinced enough myself to jump in on RAM grounds.

Edit: .... yeah that AppleInsider post. Forgot to link, lol.

HylianTom

Banned
That was originally enough, but there isn't a single thing that I run on my current Air that has any performance issues and I haven't seen one bout of lag. I can sell my Air and cover half the cost of the Air 2, but I'm pretty torn as to whether to upgrade now or next year with the next revision.
That's weighing into my decision as well: what could they include next year that I'm going to significantly miss? I'm struggling to come-up with anything substantial.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It will be appreciated by those that take their macs to coffee shops.
starbuck_full.png

Admittedly, these things are so damn thin and light now as it is.
Yeah. They're like 20 pounds now. The iMac I got back in 2000 when I switched weighed like 40lb. Those tubes were heavy. And even the 20" G4 iMac Sunflower weighed 40lb. and that was LCD too.

Since all the components in the current iMac are laptop anyway, I'm surprised they don't use laptop HDDs. At least if they did, they could make them accessible through a door like the RAM. Maybe it has to do with the Fusion drive? Does Fusion require the full size HDD?

Guess Who

Banned
Since all the components in the current iMac are laptop anyway, I'm surprised they don't use laptop HDDs. At least if they did, they could make them accessible through a door like the RAM. Maybe it has to do with the Fusion drive? Does Fusion require the full size HDD?

They do use laptop HDDs in the 21.5".

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They do use laptop HDDs in the 21.5".
Not in the 27". Which is supposed to be the user upgradable one. Unless only RAM is supposed to be upgradable. Either way, I'd rather have an easy to access laptop drive door in the back than a hard to get to full sized HDD buried deep inside. If only so I could replace it with a SSD without having to buy a kit with screwdrivers, separation tools, adhesive for putting it back together and two extra hands.

TheExodu5

Banned
So now another A8X benchmark got posted, GeekBench this time. 2GB RAM looks confirmed (three sources total), but perhaps more impressively, multi-core score is 4477. 39% faster than the Tegra K1 used in Shield Tablet, in other words.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/21/ipad-air-2-a8x-triple-core-2gb-ram/

Damn, that's a huge upgrade over the Air.

The question is, however...will apps make proper use of the third core?

With the majority of devices out there being dual-core, it's hard to think that we'll see much benefit, at least for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom