• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MicH

MGKM2LL / A iPad Air Wi-Fi 64GB Silver

next sticker:

Includes: iPad Air, lightening to USB cable....etc...

I think it's an Air 2 though because it has the Touch ID thing, but it just seems weird there's not a single place where it's referred to as the Air 2. Even in settings under about it just says "Ipad Air"
Yeah it is the Air 2 if it has TouchID, but that is weird that it doesn't say 2 anywhere on the box

Gamerloid

I got an email this morning saying that mine will be available this morning. I called them this afternoon to see if by chance they were selling them early. I was told they already have their stock, but aren't selling them until tomorrow even though Apple started yesterday.
Thanks for the info. I still can't pre-order the 128GB Gold Model for in store pickup, so I guess I'll have to walk in tomorrow after classes...

Jaxx

Banned
My wife got hers today. She just let me know that she's (meaning I get to do it) returning it. Apparently if you play music through the speakers the whole thing vibrates like a cellphone getting a call. I confirmed it's doing that at about 50 percent volume or above. It actually makes touching the screen unpleasant. Is her iPad defective or is this something we should just expect from a device this thin?

Wallach

My wife got hers today. She just let me know that she's (meaning I get to do it) returning it. Apparently if you play music through the speakers the whole thing vibrates like a cellphone getting a call. I confirmed it's doing that at about 50 percent volume or above. It actually makes touching the screen unpleasant. Is her iPad defective or is this something we should just expect from a device this thin?

I think it was Jedeye Sniv that was saying something similar about this in the iOS games thread. Basically said it felt like controller vibration when turned up.

I had to wait 40 minutes at best buy just to find out there are no iPad air 2s in stock despite the apple guy in the store claiming they were there. I fucking can't stand best buy but they gave me a decent trade in value for iPad 2 so now I'm stuck with them this time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Jesus. Just tried it and you're right. At about 50% it's vibrating like a crazy thing. The screen isn't uncomfortable to touch but the back cover really makes your fingers tingle..

Generally I don't turn the volume up too high but 50% isn't *that* loud

Red Comet

I've got a smart case on mine which neutralizes the vibration somewhat, but I mainly use headphones anyway, so it's not really an issue for me.

I had to wait 40 minutes at best buy just to find out there are no iPad air 2s in stock despite the apple guy in the store claiming they were there. I fucking can't stand best buy but they gave me a decent trade in value for iPad 2 so now I'm stuck with them this time.

I called mine today and they said they had them in stock, but wouldn't sell them or allow preorder pick ups until tomorrow for whatever reason.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Actually even on only 2 or 3 dots of volume it is still vibratey. The title music on RGB Express is very noticeable

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think it was Jedeye Sniv that was saying something similar about this in the iOS games thread. Basically said it felt like controller vibration when turned up.

Yeah tbh I quite enjoy it. I was playing some dirty synths and it sounded and felt great, and some old school arcade games, felt a bit like playing pinball haha. Seriously, I quite like it. In GTA it was like I could feel the health of the car based on the vibration of the iPad. Accidental feature?

leng jai

I'm actually kinda lusting for the gold one. The shade they've gone with is quite nice and I like the extra detail on the home button.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Hmm, this vibration thing. :( I use my current iPad 3 naked and I watch a lot of videos without headphones, so depending on how annoying that is it will be an issue for me.

Edit: naked as in no case/cover on the device!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hmm, this vibration thing. :( I use my current iPad 3 naked and I watch a lot of videos without headphones, so depending on how annoying that is it will be an issue for me.

If that's the case you should be more upset by the fact that iOS 8.1 seems to have broken web videos on some sites, can't scrub to times any more.

Also I hope you wipe that shit down afterwards.

AndTAR

It's really interesting how similar the Pixelmator app is to iPhoto. I wondered for a bit during the event, but now looking at the actual release here, apparently also the introductory splash screen style is identical, along with several of the menus? Even the web page looks very closely like one of Apple's own - I just could not find any news about them being actually acquired by Apple?

Without going on some kind of conspiracy ramble, that removal of iPhoto (and iOS 8 even refusing to run it?) seems kind of a weird coincidence. I really would expect this kind of stuff to get announced in some way. Maybe Apple just kind of handed them the iPhoto project I guess, after their years of obviously high-quality Mac development.

It's really interesting how similar the Pixelmator app is to iPhoto. I wondered for a bit during the event, but now looking at the actual release here, apparently also the introductory splash screen style is identical, along with several of the menus? Even the web page looks very closely like one of Apple's own - I just could not find any news about them being actually acquired by Apple?

Without going on some kind of conspiracy ramble, that removal of iPhoto (and iOS 8 even refusing to run it?) seems kind of a weird coincidence. I really would expect this kind of stuff to get announced in some way. Maybe Apple just kind of handed them the iPhoto project I guess, after their years of obviously high-quality Mac development.

Is the app any better then the iPhoto app?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
If that's the case you should be more upset by the fact that iOS 8.1 seems to have broken web videos on some sites, can't scrub to times any more.

Also I hope you wipe that shit down afterwards.
:lol drove right into that one.

Mostly TV shows and youtube. The thing is almost always resting on my legs so if the vibration is substantial it will be sucky.

vehn

so what if you are watching a movie at 100% volume? does it just crazily vibrate?

You can certainly feel the sound, though I don't find it unpleasant personally. It's not distorted or anything, and I'm going to use headphones anyway if I want to hear stuff in high quality.

DOWN

Banned
Got my pickup notification today.

This is a bit of a nightmare. They had me in Best Buy at customer service almost an hour and eventually said they don't have Space Grey, only Silver and they weren't sure if someone in warehouse just picked it wrong in the system or if they sold it to someone else. They checked if some were on the way and said they have them on order but they aren't assigned to any trucks so it could be weeks. I said I will ask them again tomorrow and if they don't have it, they said they may be able to order me one expedited free but I'd get it Monday or Tuesday. But if she does that I'll lose over $50 in Cashback bonus and $10 in rewards.

You can certainly feel the sound, though I don't find it unpleasant personally. It's not distorted or anything, and I'm going to use headphones anyway if I want to hear stuff in high quality.
Yea, you really do feel the sound. It's whatever imo as I don't see myself listening to much without headphones.

The weight feels really different coming from the iPad 3.

Fuck

CsxYs1q.jpg

HKiI4F6.jpg

Laekon

So the cries of smaller battery were as usual overblown as that's on par for what the iPad battery has always been
The battery is smaller, it's a fact. But no one was saying the battery life was bad, just that it's less than the last Air.

Wasn't Apple care 3 yrs for iPads before? It's saying just 2 years now.

toohectic

Damn, I went to the Apple Store specifically to see the 5K Retina iMac and totally got distracted checking out the new iPads and I forgot about the iMac. Arg! Anyway, checked out the whole vibration deal on the Air 2. It's totally different than the older iPads. It's not just the bass, it's the entire range of audio that you can feel. So even regular talking was apparent in the vibrations. I don't think it will stop me from getting one seeing that I primarily use it for browsing, but I could see how others would be annoyed by it. Especially if you like to browse and play music simultaneously since the vibrations can be sensed on the screen surface. It was really the only negative; everything else about the new iPad was awesome. Oh yea, the gold back looked much better than I expected too.

HylianTom

Banned
Done. Ordered online, with engraving. And I know that customization will hurt resale value, but it's a good way to force myself to keep it for a long time.

Estimated delivery is early November. Seems so far away.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Ten tabs open and no reloads in sight. Sweet.

The screen really isn't much better than my 3rd gen. Nice and light though.

OK... so it turns out Apple retail stores in the UK will not accept returns of products bought from Apple online. Apparantly they are two different companies. While that might be the case, the staff at the Apple store were a little bit offish about it - can't they forward things to Apple online or facilitate the return for me, rather than me having to wait in for a collection which costs Apple more money?

So I ended up buying a black 64GB Air 2 and I'll compare it with my white one before picking one to return in a day or two. I love the look of the white one, but the black definitely works better with the laminated display - the black bezel camouflages the black edge to the screen.

this is also true on the iphone 6, which is a minor drawback. but ultimately there's still no air gap which is what matters!

i have a silver iphone 6 and a gold ipad air 2, love the look of both of them. very happy with the air 2 so far! amazing performance on everything i've thrown at it — huge upgrade coming from a 3.

Ambitious

Finally found a buyer for my iPad 3 (black, 16GB, WiFi, including Smart Cover). She's willing to pay 230€ for it. Not too bad, isn't it? There were loads of cheaper offers for the same model, the same with more storage, and even models of newer generations, so I'm kinda lucky.

Going to order the Air 2 as soon as I've sold mine. I first thought my iPad performed kinda okayish after the iOS 8 update, but after actually using it for a while - hell no. It's terrible.

Fliesen

is this an app i need to use or can i somehow invoke it by pressing cmd+shift+4 ?

actually, i just found out i could simply make an automator script that copies the new screenshot and scales it down to 50%.

ZDCQH5S.png

this script always takes the latest screenshot you made, makes a copy and saves it as "scrnsht.png" on your desktop.
you keep the original high-res screenshot, yet have the most recent one at 50% size for easy sharing.
(my automator script actually uploads it to imgur right afterwards, too)

of course you could have it make and keep a copy of each screenshot and not just the last, but then you'd have a duplicate for every single screenshot you make.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If you just put a huge image in QUOTE tags like a smart person you don't need extra software to shrink down your screenshots. (I make it a rule to always quote any image I post if it's wider than 600-700 pixels out of respect.) Also, most image hosts these days let you edit and resize your images anyway. So why even bother with extra software? I'd rather people post the full size image in a QUOTE tag so we can still view them full size if we want to.

It has the added benefit of not being included when someone quotes your post too. So it's a win-win.

So basically, no, you don't need that software.

Ambitious

If you just put a huge image in QUOTE tags like a smart person you don't need extra software to shrink down your screenshots. (I make it a rule to always quote any image I post if it's wider than 600-700 pixels out of respect.) Also, most image hosts these days let you edit and resize your images anyway. So why even bother with extra software? I'd rather people post the full size image in a QUOTE tag so we can still view them full size if we want to.

It has the added benefit of not being included when someone quotes your post too. So it's a win-win.

Reduced file size.
Expanding pictures by clicking on them does not always work, at least for me.
Inconvenient UI of some image hosts. For instance, at abload.de you can either resize by the height or width to one of several predefined values or enter the new resolution manually. As opposed to simply making a screenshot and immediately having it at 50%.
If you need to take several screenshots, you'd have to resize every single one of them at the hoster's site instead of, again, simply making the screenshots.

Fliesen

i always quote images for the reasons you named. however, if you're posting a screenshot of some app / your desktop, it looks like this:
too small to read it when quoted, too huge when clicked. (imho)

but yeah, it's not a huge hassle, ... but my automator folder action works pretty decently now, i must say.

Ambitious

i always quote images for the reasons you named. however, if you're posting a screenshot of some app / your desktop, it looks like this:

too small to read it when quoted, too huge when clicked. (imho)

but yeah, it's not a huge hassle, ... but my automator folder action works pretty decently now, i must say.

This as well.
Hello there, fellow Austrian.

Finally found a buyer for my iPad 3 (black, 16GB, WiFi, including Smart Cover). She's willing to pay 230€ for it. Not too bad, isn't it? There were loads of cheaper offers for the same model, the same with more storage, and even models of newer generations, so I'm kinda lucky.

Going to order the Air 2 as soon as I've sold mine. I first thought my iPad performed kinda okayish after the iOS 8 update, but after actually using it for a while - hell no. It's terrible.

Just reset it. Still awful. Getting worried the buyer might not want it after testing it.

It's not a huge deal since I'll be out of town today and couldn't pick up my Air 2 until tomorrow, but what is going on with Best Buy and their pre-orders? Yesterday they send me an email saying that my 64 gb Space Gray model would be ready for pick up today. This morning I wake up to an email saying that it will be ready to pick up tomorrow. They also so the Space Gray model as not available while the other colors are. I wonder if they somehow didn't get stick of the Space Gray version or what. I went with Best Buy because I had rewards to use and they seem to have a good trade in deal towards an Air 2, but I'm starting to wonder if this was a giant mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom