• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
We had one Macbook already updated with Yosemite here at work, and I cannot get over how ridiculously bad it looks.

I mean, come on... That must be a joke, isn't it?

Looks like a bad Linux distro desktop skin to me.

I'd never thought I'd ever say this, but I seriously think even Windows 10 looks better than this.
Question: Is it a Retina MacBook? Because it looks amazing on Retina. Definitely made for Retina devices.

Certinty

What's gone wrong here?

I order an iPad Air 2 last Friday
The money is put on hold on the money in my bank account
The item is dispatched yesterday with the money still on hold
UPS delay the delivery today and the hold is taken off the money

So I am going to assume Apple probably requested UPS not to deliver the iPad but I fail to see how that's my fault?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hopefully this is a good enough concentration of iPad users: I have a bunch of boardgame-related PDFs that I currently use Dropbox to organize. Is there a better tool now? I never really tried Apple's.

Guys, I just need a tablet for internet browsing, Youtube watching, and I might put a little music on it. Also will do some light gaming. Would a 16GB Wi-Fi Air 2 be sufficient for my needs? or should I go for the 64GB?

leng jai

Guys, I just need a tablet for internet browsing, Youtube watching, and I might put a little music on it. Also will do some light gaming. Would a 16GB Wi-Fi Air 2 be sufficient for my needs? or should I go for the 64GB?

The Air one is a better buy if you're just going to using it for that stuff. Can't go wrong with the 2 for future proofing. 16GB is too small unless you're like my parents who don't play games and just stream everything.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
In that case 16 is fine. You only need 64 if you plan on putting a lot more on it. How much is a "little" music?

MercuryLS

Banned

16gb will absolutely be enough for those purposes. But just keep in mind that you may buy it for light usage and end up using it more and more, some apps (games especially) can be above 1gb. You also only get 12gb of usable space IIRC.

Quasar

Gotta' boost that average selling price… and given that the vast majority of people would be fine with 32GB, but wouldn't with 16GB, making them get four times the storage for $100 seems like a good deal.

Well I think it's just that for folks who don't use many additional apps/is a work device there's the 16gb device. For everyone else though 32 probably isn't enough. I know I had to continually manage my 32 for space, and I only occasionally so need video with it.

And I think my 64 was priced about the same as my 32gb ipad3. So I'm not so sure it's attempt to drive prices even higher. The apple strategy tends to be same price with a spec bump.

Vyer

Hmm, it looks like Best Buy will give me 300 for my Air. That's pretty close to what EBay would get me after fees.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

madmook

Hmm, it looks like Best Buy will give me 300 for my Air. That's pretty close to what EBay would get me after fees.

Hmmmmmmmmmm
I traded in my Air today at BB, they also gave me a $50 coupon good for the Air 2. Since that's what I was gonna do anyways, it's like the trade-in value became $350. A pleasant surprise, to be sure. Only caveat is that it expires 11/14.

Blackhead

Redarse
Not sure which thread to ask this but here goes: Any good deals on an unlocked iPhone 5S 32GB+ in USA or is it just best to get a used one?

BdoUK

If you have a base iPad 2 Best Buy is offering $200 towards a new Air for a few weeks. Apple is offering $85.

Yep just took advantage of this deal earlier this evening. Great deal for my 16 gig iPad 2. Looking forward to picking up my Air 2 on Friday.

Vyer

I traded in my Air today at BB, they also gave me a $50 coupon good for the Air 2. Since that's what I was gonna do anyways, it's like the trade-in value became $350. A pleasant surprise, to be sure. Only caveat is that it expires 11/14.

Nice. What's the 50 promotion for? Just trading toward an Air 2?

Any idea how long that promo is? I have an Air 2 that I preordered, but I can't pick it up until Saturday since I'll be out of town Friday. I was planning on trading my Air in when I went to pick up my Air 2. I wonder if things will get all screwy since I would want to use everything towards something I preordered instead of just walking in off the street to trade in and buy one.

BdoUK

Any idea how long that promo is? I have an Air 2 that I preordered, but I can't pick it up until Saturday since I'll be out of town Friday. I was planning on trading my Air in when I went to pick up my Air 2. I wonder if things will get all screwy since I would want to use everything towards something I preordered instead of just walking in off the street to trade in and buy one.

I don't have the coupon in front of me, but I believe the trade in promotion is good until the first week of November. You should be fine.

toohectic

If you have a base iPad 2 Best Buy is offering $200 towards a new Air for a few weeks. Apple is offering $85.

Just curious, is there a list somewhere of Apple's trade in values? I'm planning to turn in both an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4S to apply to a new Air 2. Both are 32GB AT&T versions. I assume Best Buy is the best bet for both right?

Red Comet

The first page of the E3 2014 Gif Thread takes 55 seconds for the blue loading bar to disappear on my iPad Air 1. On my laptop it finishes loading in 15 seconds. Also the gifs seem prone to low FPS and/or freezing on the Air 1.

2nd Trial: 1min 40s on the Air 1 vs 20s on the laptop

Air 2: 6.55 seconds

iPhone 5S: 20.23 seconds

Computer: 3.72 seconds

I'm not really noticing any lag or low FPS on any of them. This depends on your connection speed as well, so your mileage may vary.

Laekon

Just curious, is there a list somewhere of Apple's trade in values? I'm planning to turn in both an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4S to apply to a new Air 2. Both are 32GB AT&T versions. I assume Best Buy is the best bet for both right?

No list but it takes no time to use their tool. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/reuse_and_recycle

I only mentioned Best Buy because they have a promo for the new iPads. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/trade-in-offer-129347

Normally I would recommend waiting till the new ones hit the refurb store but if you have an older ipad the Best Buy deal seems like the best bet.

Every apple store is carrying wifi models as of today, hopefully the LTE arrive tomorrow
Just checked the Apple Store near me stock and it looks like I'll be picking my new iPad up tomorrow night:D

Wish I could do the trade in but I'm assuming my mom is gonna want my iPad 3, she's on my old iPad 1.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Went to best buy and got my $150 for my scratched 16gb ipad 3 plus the $50 coupon, looking forward to picking up the new ipad on Friday.

toohectic

How's the heat after syncing and setup is finished on the Air 2? The iPad 3 could put out some good heat especially at max brightness. I don't have much experience with the iPad Air family so hopefully it's leagues better than the 3. Nothing could top the original iPad though. That thing was a ice block.

Red Comet

How's the heat after syncing and setup is finished on the Air 2? The iPad 3 could put out some good heat especially at max brightness. I don't have much experience with the iPad Air family so hopefully it's leagues better than the 3. Nothing could top the original iPad though. That thing was a ice block.

I've got mine in a Smart Case and haven't really felt any heat. Though I didn't sync it, I just set it up as a fresh iPad since I stream my content.

terandle

Air 2: 6.55 seconds

iPhone 5S: 20.23 seconds

Computer: 3.72 seconds

I'm not really noticing any lag or low FPS on any of them. This depends on your connection speed as well, so your mileage may vary.

Seems like a pretty good upgrade using your 5S as the Air 1 equivent (since they are pretty similar HW). Thanks!

mrkgoo

Are there any reports on whether the iPad mini 3 also has 2GB of ram?

I'm not one to care so much, just a curiosity seeig as nothing else bar Touch ID appears to have changed.

leng jai

If the Mini ends up having 2GB of RAM, a much better screen and TouchID then it's still a decent upgrade for hardcore people I guess.

mrkgoo

If the Mini ends up having 2GB of RAM, a much better screen and TouchID then it's still a decent upgrade for hardcore people I guess.

I don't think it has the laminated display.

to me, the laminated display, better processors and increased RAM make the Air 2 a really decent device. Would be a GREAT upgrade from my iPad 1 (not that any upgrade wouldn't be).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hopefully this is a good enough concentration of iPad users: I have a bunch of boardgame-related PDFs that I currently use Dropbox to organize. Is there a better tool now? I never really tried Apple's.

I've used goodreader for years. You can store PDFs locally, you can access Dropbox easily, you can set up syncs so eg I have a Lego folder on my Dropbox that I can put PDFs in on the PC, and they'll sync to goodreader for offline viewing.

You can also keep PDFs open in tabs in the app for easy reference

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Brief impressions after restoring. This is coming from an iPad air. Weight seems identical. It feels a bit thinner but not hugely noticeable - I suppose it might be one of those things that I notice if I pick up an air 1 later on. The screen feels stickier with more friction. Not sure if that is because it is new but it'll take some getting used to.

The laminated screen is pretty nice but the black edge to the screen spoiled the effect a bit, giving the impression that it is still sunken a bit. I have the silver so maybe the black bezels will be better in that regard. This is quite distracting for me, especially when browsing the web so I' going to look at black ones in my local store and see if I might swap it over. Apple have a flexible returns policy, right? Can I return an online bought one in a store?

Not liking battery life talk. Loved the battery on the air and it was a concern when then made it thinner.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
fyi - Reading Apple Store has had stock of the wifi Air 2 since yesterday so I'm guessing most apple stores were the same in the UK. No 4G ones yet though.

thinking to go and have a look and maybe swap from white to black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom